7,956 Reviews

Published on January 1, 2011 by Bejay in Spring

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable cables
Published on March 5, 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cable for the price, January 1, 2011
This review is from: AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters) Supports Ethernet, 3D, and Audio Return [Newest Standard] (Electronics)
Before I purchased this HDMI cable for my Roku XDS I shopped around first at nearby Walmart and Best Buy, and read some reviews for this product. I'm a retired electrical engineer and do not believe on going overboard, spending more than adequate to get a good result on audio and video component. There are cables in the market that are priced too high to get the money out of those people who are willing to pay the price. Those people always believed that if the price is high, the product must be very good. For digital signal transmission, this HDMI cable is more than adequate. My video and audio were not degraded, and I did not notice any lost of clarity either on video or audio signal.

5.0 out of 5 stars HDMI 1.4/1.3x cable, get full support from Amazon, December 15, 2010
WHO NEEDS IT?

This wire should work well with anything that supports HDMI 1.3x but it's built to comply with the higher HDMI 1.4 standard. You may consider this product if you have TWO devices that support HDMI 1.4. For these, the cable will carry through HD images and Ethernet data therefore eliminating the need for one dedicated Ethernet cable and one Ethernet port. Again, on a pair of connected HDMI 1.4 devices, it will eliminate the need of a dedicated audio cable if, let's say, your TV needs to send sound back to your receiver - it may have a built-in Blu/DVD player or get its input through an USB port. You may also consider this cable if you currently need an extra HDMI 1.3 cable but you are planning to to replace your existing equipment with some HDMI 1.4 ready hardware in the near future.

As far as HDMI 1.4 stands, this cable is 'it'. It's the complete implementation because it supports ALL HDMI 1.4 features.

HOW GOOD IS IT?

- Behaves as a HDMI 1.3x 'high speed' or 'category 2' cable.
- As a 'high speed' HDMI 1.4 cable, it supports video resolutions of at least 1080p and can go as high as 4K.
- The 'data channel' (Ethernet support) works only with HDMI 1.4 ready equipment.
- The 'audio return channel' is another feature supported by HDMI 1.4 ready equipment only. It will allow for audio to be sent 'back' from, let's say a TV to the HDMI 1.4 compliant receiver, therefore eliminating the need for a dedicated audio cable.
- It should support all the HDMI 1.4 extra color palettes because those are implemented by the HDMI 1.4 compliant connected equipment.

You may want to get this cable even if your equipment is not HDMI 1.4, it doesn't hurt to get a wire that supports a higher standard and, with free shipping the price difference is not that great. And, keep in mind that Amazon stands behind this product so returns should be easy.

END OF REVIEW

______________________________________________________

What follows is the byproduct of me attempting to clarify 'HDMI 1.4' for myself and understanding this specific product's features. I thought I'd share.

WHAT'S IN A NAME? (understanding this cable's features)

- HDMI 1.4 is a new HDMI standard adopted in 2009, backward compatible with HDMI 1.3. This cable should work with your existing equipment.
- HIGH SPEED indicates that this cable supports resolutions of 1080p or higher and 3D video (unlike the HDMI 1.4 STANDARD cables which, believe it or not, are limited to 720p/1080i - why? nobody knows).
- ETHERNET means that this cable supports a full-duplex 100 Mb/sec Ethernet connection - if you have 2 HDMI 1.4 ready devices and they both need an network connection, this cable will carry through the Ethernet datastream to the second device, therefore saving you the need for one extra Ethernet cable.
- Audio Return Channel is a feature that would save you the need of a dedicated audio cable between 2 HDMI 1.4 compliant devices.
- This cable should support the full set of 3D features found in the new TVs.

THE HDMI 1.4x DIFFERENCE

HDMI 1.4 allows for the following new features:

- Ethernet Channel - allows for the 2 connected devices to communicate with each other and share one network connection.
- Audio Return Channel - eliminates the need of a second cable if you want to send audio from your TV back to your receiver.
- 3D - It's supported by HDMI 1.3x but HDMI 1.4a specifically supports all the currently agreed-upon industry standards
- 4K resolution - good to have it but there is nothing on today's market that would take advantage of this
- Expanded support for new color spaces - by supporting sYCC601, AdobeRGB, and AdobeYCC601 it better aligns your display with the color spaces supported by digital cameras.
- Type D connector - the 'Micro' connector is to be used by small, portable devices with supported resolutions of up to 1080p.

The HDMI Consortium defines 4 broad types of HDMI 1.4 cables:

* Standard HDMI Cable
* High Speed HDMI Cable
* Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet
* High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

Of the above, only the 'High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet' (this one) makes sense and it's likely to emerge as the common HDMI 1.4 cable.

Standard cables are limited to lower-resolution displays up to (approx. 720p or 1080i). High Speed cables support higher-resolution display (e.g. 1080p). They can deliver all video content currently defined for the HDMI standard (i.e. more than two 1080p/60 video streams, including 3D). HDMI cables with Ethernet are capable of sending 100/mbps over the HDMI Ethernet Channel. Since it is not likely that many HDMI 1.4 'standard' cables will be made or sold, I suspect that the crippled 'standard' type exists only to allow for calling the cables that support 1080p 'high speed' which sounds good and high-end.

>> Brush your teeth, it's the law! <<

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, basic, hassle free and a price you CANNOT beat., April 18, 2011
Cliff Saunders (Mastic Beach, NY) - See all my reviews
Go out to Best Buy or any large box store. You're not getting out of there with a 3 foot cable for under $30 bucks. Insanity! This is really the only sane choice. Order two and keep one around until you get the next awesome HDMI gadget. I have one hooked up to an XBOX and it looks crystal clear, as well as a DVD player. So nice! I wish I had more HDMI gear to use with these cables.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Basic Cable at a Good Price, November 1, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the HDMI cable to get right now: an HDMI 1.4 cable at a good price.

HDMI 1.4

HDMI 1.4 is the latest standard (as of November 2010 at least). It is backward compatible with other HDMI gear (mine all are HDMI 1.3 compliant). And it will be more useful to you if your TV supports HDMI 1.4 networking. I was not able to test the Ethernet networking capability of this cable, but I think the idea behind it is a good one.

For my current home entertainment setup, I had to set up separate Internet connections on my TV, set top box, Blu-Ray player, and WD TV LIVE (HTPC). It would have been a lot easier if I could have just set up my TV's internet connection, and allow all of my components to share it. That's what HDMI 1.4 promises to let you do--as long as all of your hardware, including the cables, supports it. This cable will support that functionality; it's more "future-proof" than the HDMI 1.3 cables I have been using.

Learn more (and see nice diagrams) at [...]

This Cable

This cable is really long, so I don't recommend it if your components are very close together. A 3-foot cable would easily suffice in that case.

Overall Impressions

This cable is a great buy. Definitely order it if your new A/V or PC components don't come with an HDMI cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfect, and has a bit of future proofing, November 11, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I plugged this in to connect my PS3 and my television. It worked perfect and immediately; there were no issues. I don't have a tv that supports the Ethernet feature, but I figured this was a good cable to get since I will already have the cable when I get a tv that supports Ethernet HDMI.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb quality, unbeatable price, January 3, 2013
This is an excellent deal on a superb quality high speed HDMI 1.3x cable that also complies with the HDMI 1.4 standard. It supports video at 1080 resolution with the capability to go even higher, and sound quality seems just as good as it is with a digital optical cable.

The 2M length of the cord seems just right for most devices that we have them connected to. Enough to comfortably connect without having too much extra cable hanging from the devices. The cable is thinner than some of the thick Monster cables I have used before, which makes it more flexible and easier to maneuver around devices.

There really is no point paying a higher amount for Monster HDMI cables that sell for ridiculous amounts at retails stores. I remember those were at $100+ a few years ago, haven't checked their prices lately. Well, don't need to check price because the price on the Amazon Basics cables beats them hands down any day. The cable quality seems to be sturdy. The plugs fit into the TV/devices well, and the picture and sound quality is great. Not much to think about, this one's a no brainer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Product at a Reasonable Price, November 17, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have tried a number of different HDMI cables ranging from very cheap to extremely expensive. I have not found any difference in signal quality between the high priced name brands and the cheaper versions. Some of the cheaper cables did have issues with meeting the latest HDMI standards and that is where these Amazon cables fit in. These cables provide the latest HDMI standards along with the same performance as name brand cables. I have not tested the Ethernet capability but I know that it is there for future products that may need it. Why would you pay more when these cables provide the same functionality at a fraction of the cost?

*** Positive Points: ***

- Great Build Quality (unlike some cheaper cables that have cheap connectors)
- Work EXACTLY the same as higher priced cables

*** Negative Points: ***

- Absolutely none

Overall: Very few products deserve 5 stars but these cables provide excellent performance, high quality all at a reasonable cost. Nothing less than 5 stars!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable cables, March 5, 2012
Have purchased five Amazon Basics High Speed HDMI cables. Two 2-meter cables connecting sources to receiver are still working after less than one month of use. But two out of three 3-meter cables connecting TV to receiver have failed... just suddenly ceased to transmit a signal during use. The first crashed within a month of operation, the second after 15 months. Both connections resumed without problem when cables were replaced with a name brand. I am replacing all of the remaining Amazon cables now, as I cannot trust that they will continue to function.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value! Great Product!, December 20, 2010
I bought a brand new 65" TV and already had a set of HDMI cables and they worked with my other TV so, I didn't think anything of it. My new TV came, I set it up and used my regular set of HDMI cables but, I wasn't getting a picture so, I was baffled. Ironically Several days earlier I had ordered a set of AmazonBasics High Definition cables just figuring that it might enhance my picture but, not realizing that I needed a High Definition HDMI cable in order for my new TV to transmit the picture.
Well, needless to say I remembered I had ordered the High Def. cables and decided to give it a try and Voila! A big beautiful picture came up on my brand new TV.
I couldn't believe the price and quality of the product and from now on I'm an "AmazonBasics" fan.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine is a dud, which may indicate poor quality, poor consistency in production, or poor quality control, September 11, 2011
It didn't work consistently for me. I kept getting connection issues, where the signal was being received on and off between my components. I have multiple HDMI components, and cycled around my existing cables with this one. Every time, the source component to which this cable was connected was unable to provide a consistent connection, cutting in and out. When I switched the cable out with another HDMI cable, the problem went away. Tried this cable on another source component, and immediately, the problem started up there where I never had the problem before. I've isolated all problems down to this cable.

Given the reviews here, I'm sure that I just got a dud. But, I figured I'd report it so that others can gauge the error rate on these. For me, I'm now going to be reluctant to purchase another AmazonBasics again.

Rate and Discover Movies