1,221
AmazonBasics Wired Keyboard
Price:$11.49 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 23, 2011
Verified Purchase
I do a lot of programming and writing, so it's possible I am pickier than most. My complaint is mostly with the "action" of the keyboard.

First of all, if you're looking for a cheap chiclet style keyboard that works and you're not worried about quiet typing or the "feel" then this keyboard is great. Under Windows 7 it was recognized quickly and the media keys (excepting sound on my laptop) worked right out of the box. The advantage to this keyboard and what it really has going for it is it's heavier than keyboards that are similarly priced. I.e. the Logitech at this price point is too light. Light keyboard sound like a fantastic idea until you put them into practice and they slide or move when you type. Amazon's is the right weight to stay where you expect and respond to forceful typing (hey, it happens).

I've been looking for a keyboard replacement for my Apple Aluminum full keyboard. Even though it works in Windows/Linux just fine, the opposite placement of the "windows/command" key and the alt key make for annoying maneuvering. Its F-keys aren't full compatible either. So I decided to take a chance on this Amazon thin profile keyboard.

I won't be keeping it for my home computer as it's noisy in my opinion and the action feels "cheap." It's smooth and everything, and if I only used my computer for email/internet browsing/maybe some gaming I would absolutely keep it. But I'm extremely picky about the way it feels to type on a keyboard since I do it for 8-9 hours at my day job and 3-4 hours at home working on my own stuff.

For $10 or $11 you really can't go wrong with this if you want something that works great and is attractive (it's an elegant keyboard design compared to most clunky looking keyboards in this price range). The only thing I've noticed so far is that occasionally if you don't directly hit the key the stroke doesn't register. This hasn't been a problem for all the usual ones but I've missed hitting the Enter key on the number pad with my pinky when doing numeric entry a few times now. Not a large adjustment, but something to be aware of.

EDIT/UPDATE:
Go figure. This is now my main keyboard at home. I miss my mac aluminum keyboard, don't get me wrong. But this keyboard has been working wonderfully for me after I got used to paying attention to the occasional key not registering (only occurs if you hit the outer edge, not directly on). For working on it, I've put it through about 50 hours of straight code and I'm very happy. My business partner already picked one up as well to replace his. I'm still wishing it had feet that could raise it, but it's not a dealbreaker. Wrists are at a comfortable level.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
My mom called me and told me her keyboard stopped working. I was insanely busy and didn't have time for a house call, so I logged on to Amazon and figured I'd ship her something overnight. At first I was looking at really fancy keyboards, but then I realized that I wasn't shopping for a geek like myself; I'm shopping for mom, "and she just needs a basic keyboard".

"Basic?"

"Did I just say "Basic"?"

"That's a magic Amazon word. I wonder if AmazonBasics makes a keyboard?"

So I looked up AmazonBasics, and lo and behold, they make a really stylish keyboard and it's dirt cheap. So I overnighted mom a new keyboard. She called me up after the Brown truck dropped it off and she asked if I or one of my kids could run down and "install" it. I told her it would be an hour or so before one of us could run down there, but would she like to give it a try herself? I described a USB port to her and she "installed" it herself. ;)

Mom was thrilled with the look and feel of the keyboard. She said it was way nicer than her previous Microsoft wireless keyboard. Then she asked "what do I owe you?" and I could almost hear her rolling her eyes at the thought of an expensive gadget. (As if I would actually bill mom anyway!) I told her how cheap it was and she just laughed.

Great keyboard.

And as always, AmazonBasics saved me a few bucks. Whether it's a USB cable, an HDMI cable, an iPhone case, or now a new keyboard for ma', AmazonBasics completely slaughters their competition in quality and value. If you're patient enough to wait a day or so for the Brown truck, you'll really see some savings.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon December 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an inexpensive keyboard perhaps best used as a backup keyboard, certainly by touch typists frustrated by the arrangement of the function keys (see below). It is Mac compatible; in Preferences select Keyboard and establish Keyboard type (US ANSI) and, if necessary, remodify keys.

PROS: inexpensive; frustration free packaging; plug-and-play; Mac compatible; 107-key keyboard with extra media keys; light weight; excellent non-skid pads beneath; surprisingly good responsive feel (not mushy); white labels on black keys large and nicely visible (long term durability of labels not known); depth about an inch less than other brands of PC keyboards

CONS: tilt not adjustable; 12 small function keys not separated into the usual three groups (to me the most serious defect); ESC-key not isolated; not ergonomic; no USB port; no manual (none really needed); keys minimally sculptured (this perhaps giving one the impression the keys are slightly smaller than usual)

PRO or CON: audible keys; slight built-in tilt (not flat); standard PC arrangement a possible CON for dedicated Mac users but a PRO for people using Parallels or VMware on a Mac

CONCLUSIONS: A good inexpensive alternative for people who can't adapt to Apple's Mac keyboards. A nicely done product that would be a real winner with a redesign for an isolated ESC-key and larger function keys in 3 groups of 4. And really desirable would be a large L-shaped ENTER-key with the |\-key moved down two rows and located to the right of a smaller right SHIFT-key.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Amazon Basics Wired USB Keyboard is relatively inexpensive, and unfortunately, it feels that way when you use it. The key presses are not crisp, and it just doesn't have a good feel to it. It does have a number of special keys (calculator, music, etc.), and these do perform as expected. One feature that I do not like is that it is permanently raised at an angle. I prefer a flat keyboard or ones with pop-up feet that other people can use if they want the keyboard tilted. In short, if you don't mind the cheap feel or the permanent tilt, the Amazon Basics Wired USB Keyboard is a good budget choice. Otherwise you would be better served shelling out a little more for an offering from Logitech.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2012
Verified Purchase
 The keys are noisy to press. There is annoying mechanical stopping noise at the end of the stroke. I compared it with other new keyboard which I bought to compare, and the mechnical stop noise is obvious even though this keyboard is membrane keyboard. The Amazonbasic keyboard is the middle one in the video clip.

And the keys are flat and of short stroke. The decision will be based on personal preference, but I don't like such keys. Also the angle of the keyboard is fixed and there is no adjustable legs. The keyboard angle is very flat, which I don't like again.
review image review image review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 22, 2013
Verified Purchase
I spend at least 10 hours a day typing on computers and have used everything from the old, mechanical-switch IBM keyboards up to fancy split keyboard designs. But I'm not one of those keyboard snobs who believes you have to spend north of $100 to get a decent keyboard. All I'm looking is for something that feels good to my fingers and is easy to type on.

This keyboard has square "chiclet" keys with a cheap, flimsy feel annoying plastic sound to the keys, and there are no legs on the back of the keyboard to tilt it up slightly. Given the fact that the Microsoft 200 and Logitech K120 wired keyboards cost the same or less and have a much better feel and sound, I suggest either of those options over the AmazonBasics product.

I'm not going to bother returning the AmazonBasics keyboard. For $13 it is worth hanging on to for times when I need an extra keyboard. But I bought another Logitech K120 to use as my main keyboard.
on December 5, 2014
Verified Purchase
Only lasted a couple of hours of use. Now the plus key constantly types ++++++++until the page is full. . I checked both plus keys and they are not stuck. The keys react normally but one of them remains active and I cannot override the key inputs.
on December 28, 2012
Verified Purchase
Very basic keyboard without too many fancy bells and whistles.

PROS:
- I love the feel of the keys, half-height and low resistance
- The calculator button on top right of keyboard is convenient
- The volume controls on top right of keyboard are convenient
- NumLock, CapsLock, and ScrollLock have tiny LEDs on them to indicate their status
- Light weight
- Low profile design
- Inexpensive
- Standard key size, locations, full key set

CONS:
- The buttons in the top row (ESC, function keys, media) are not grouped, are evenly spaced. It takes longer to find the right key without the grouping. I taped white strips between the "standard" groups (ESC/F1, F4/F5, F8/F9, F12/Media) so I could more quickly locate buttons like F5 when I need them.
- Useless "Fn" (function) key for media controls instead of a "Right Windows" key. I software-remapped the key between "Fn" and "Right Alt" to be "Right Windows" and taped a Windows logo sticker to it to compensate for this shortcoming. The "Fn" key is difficult to remap as it doesn't seem to generate its own code when pressed.

The Cons are not worth knocking a star off for, I like it too much overall.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon December 31, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This simple keyboard is a great addition to our family computer. It was extremely easy to install; has all the basic features needed; and at such a reasonable price; it can't be beat.

Our family computer is used by all of our children- especially the younger ones who don't have their own ipods and a way of getting online. This keyboard was inexpensive enough to buy for them without worrying about it breaking. It installed easily with a simple USB connector. It has all the basic features- function keys, number pad. It lays almost flat and is extremely lightweight, so we can easily move it to other computers if we'd like.

I'm extremely pleased with the quality of the keyboard for the price! Good job, Amazon!
Verified Purchase
I usually don't recommend products, but I will this time. I have had trouble with most keyboards because the letters are too close together for my arthritic fingers. I usually have problems with my fingernail hitting the front taper on the key above the one I want. This problem is eliminated with this Amazon Basics keyboard. There is at least 3/16" of space surrounding EVERY KEY! I just typed this review, and only had to backspace once to fix a mistake. Highly recommended for the arthritic generation!