Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Style: Batteries|Size: AAA 12 Pack|Change

Style: Batteries|Size: AAA 12 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
UPDATE: April 2016 and they are still going strong, no issues with them yet. I just put some on the BC-900 to see what their capacity is at now, they came in at 645, 675, 710 and 807 mAh

If you know what precharged or low self discharge batteries are, you can skip down a few paragraphs.

Brief history of rechargable batteries: In the beginning there was NiCad and all was good, but people found that the cells of Nicad had memory and that was bad. So then there were the cells of NiMH which could store more power than Nicad and had no memory, and that was good.

But these cells of NiMH also lost charge (self-discharge) fairly quickly, so that in a few months they were dead, and this was almost worse than memory. Alas, the men were angry and the women lamenting "Why have the electrons of NiMH abandoned us?

Then the prophet Sanyo came and said "I have made a NiMH cell that has a very low self discharge and I will give it a name like no other. I will call it ENELOOP"

And all the people said "Huh?" for the name was like no other. But soon the land was filled with celebration as they found that these batteries would hold their charge for months, even as long as a year!

Then competition came to the world with others calling this "Pre-Charged." and "Low Self Dischage" and Amazon too came to bring a cell which was made in the form of the the cell ENELOOP.

So, are these as good? Like any good Alpha-Geek, I have a Lacrosse BC-900 La Crosse Technology Alpha Power Battery Charger, BC1000 and I tested 4 of the AmazonBasics back to back with 4 of the Eneloop I very recently purchased. Using the "recycle" mode which charges and discharges the batteries several times, I found that the AmazonBasics actually outperformed the Eneloop (note: You really want a sample of at least 6 to determine statistical significance: the AB came in at 829, 817, 845, and 796 while the month old Eneloops came in at 780, 797, 826 and 815 mAH.

Note that the first Gen Eneloops said they were good for 1000 recharge cycles, while the second generation said they were good for 1500 cycles. These were made in China while the Eneloops are made in Japan. I won't be able to tell you how these perform in that regard for some time, but if you're looking for a cheaper alternative, these may be them.

If you have any questions or comments, or if you found this review helpful, please let me know!
66 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2013
I run the "battery center" at my work (approximately 60 employees). We primarily use AA rechargeable batteries to power keyboards and mice. I have about 200 rechargeable batteries in rotation currently. Between Duracell, Lenmar, Eneloop and the Amazon Basics, the Eneloop have by far been my favorite. I only bought the Amazon Basics because the price was remarkable and figured I'd give them a shot. I use the La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Charger. The eneloop batteries stay charged for 4-6 weeks on average and always fully charge to around 2.2-2.4ah. The Duracell are a strong second place. They fully recharge to values higher than the eneloop, but seem to drain faster.

The Amazon Basics have been very inconsistent since buying them. I've bought three of the 16 packs so far. The first pack was "precharged" but 4 were returned to me, drained, after only 4 days. One of those 4 was simply dead. The charger couldn't even recognize there was a battery in the the chamber. Eight more of them were returned to my desk after 2 weeks. One of those 8 only recharged to half spec. The last 4 were returned after 4 weeks and two of those four only recharged to half spec.

When recharging them, I always fully discharge before recharging. The eneloop rarely, if ever, have any issues. The first box of 16 Amazon Basics have just been inconsistent. I'm hesitant to open the other two packs I bought. I might return them and just suck it up and buy the more expensive eneloop. At the pace we are dependent upon and cycle through batteries, it's worth it to have the reliability of the eneloop. Having to go through and discharge and recharge the Amazon Basics two or three times to get them back to operating specs is simply too time consuming. I am giving them a 2-star rating based on the fact that the price is still good even with only 12 working batteries and that they serve as a good backup plan while I'm recharging the eneloop.
44 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2013
I purchased these batteries to use in my Wingscapes Timelapsecam 8.0 camera, which tells me the battery charge when it starts up. When fully charged, my Rayovac rechargeable batteries, which I purchased a year ago and want to replace show as 90% charged when put in the camera. When fully charged, these brand new, never used Amazon rechargeable batteries show as 60% charged when put in the camera. They do not last as long either. I have used these for about a week now and am getting consistently poor performance from these batteries. I'm not saying they don't work, but if year-old batteries from another brand are outperforming these brand new batteries, there is a problem.
on September 3, 2015
I have quite a few of the white rechargeable batteries and some of these black ones. I tried the black ones as they are a bit cheaper. They do not last very long in use. I use rechargeable batteries every night in my headlights. The white batteries last all night. These black batteries last only about an hour. I have to come in and put new ones out of the charger into the lights many times during the night. My headlights are 9 LED flashlights from Harbor Freight. Very bright flashlights and use very little energy. Don't bother buying these black and green batteries. A waste of money. The white batteries are worth the extra $$. Really...don't buy these.
review image
on December 3, 2014
I just got these batteries during CyberMonday.

As much as I was hoping these would be decent, I'm sorry to say these batteries are junk.
In my 16-pack, some charged fine. Others wouldn't charge and would start getting really hot if I left them in the charger for just a brief period of time. The consistency of these batteries is a big concern for me, so I am sending them back.

The biggest difference between these batteries (black labeled) versus the Amazon white labeled batteries (that I previously bought) is these black labeled batteries are made in China, while as the white labeled batteries are made in Japan.

The white labeled batteries I previously bought worked/charged flawlessly for awhile now. Many believe they are just relabeled Sanyo Eneloop batteries. In my experience, the performance of Amazon's white labeled batteries are identical to Sanyo Eneloops..

These black labeled batteries are not. Sanyo Eneloops are not made there.

I will be replacing them with the white labeled batteries or eneloops.

See picture for differences
on August 9, 2013
Have been using the Sanyo eneloop batteries for years, as they have been the best rechargable batteries I could find! Have thus far had great luck with the Amazon batteries in the short time I have had them....

-came charged! Were at 90% charge when they arrived.
-charge fully within an hour or two on my eneloop charger.
-have been used heavily in my kids Leapsters and have been performing as well as my eneloops!
on November 22, 2013
These batteries are a great value for rechargeable batteries. They retain their charge during storage and it is nice too always have fresh batteries available for lights or kids toys. These come in a nice storage box (card board) for storage in the closet or drawer. I liked these so much I purchased them again when I needed more batteries.
on February 26, 2014
I have a lot of eneloop rechargeable that have worked great for years. When I needed more, I decided to try these AmazonBasics as a less expensive option. Unfortunately they aren't the same quality as the eneloop. After just two recharges, 5 batteries were not even recognized by my La Crosse BC1000 charger. Since then though I have recharged the remaining 11 batteries numerous times without problem, so seems to be a quality control issue.
I'll be sticking to the eneloops from now on as the AmazonBasics price advantage is negated by the high failure rate.
on February 11, 2014
At least one of my batch has been a dud - taking about 400mAh. I've only tried half of them. Luckily I have a decent charger that can give me that information, because if you put a set in an item including one dud, the whole thing will perform badly and you won't know why.

So if you're comfortable with weeding out the duds, you probably get good value out of these. Otherwise buy something more reputable.
I recently transitioned to rechargeable batteries for all my photography needs. Specifically, I needed to power a Nikon SB-910, two SB-700's, and a variety of Pocket Wizard remote triggers as well as the Pixel Pro External Flash Battery Pack For Nikon SB-900 SB900 Flashgun as SD-9. I was pleasantly surprised with the AmazonBasics AA solution used in combination with my favorite charger, the Titanium Smart Fast 16 Bay Ni-MH AA/AAA Battery Charger AC 100-240V + DC Adapters MD-1600L.

The build quality of the batteries are on par with Sanyo Eneloops, of which I had limited exposure. They come well packaged in Amazon Frustration Free packaging. HOWEVER, out of 4 boxes of 16 pack AA batteries, 2 of the boxes had a single dead battery on arrival (I deducted one point from my rating for this). These batteries simply would not take a charge. Despite this experience, I remain confident in the performance (Amazon took care of the dead battery). Initial readings of the new batteries placed them at 2,200 mAh each (more or less). I have used these batteries in various photography lighting situations. Simply put, my SB-910 fired noticably faster (even without the battery pack). SB-700's as well. These batteries also far outlasted my non-rechargeables, even after 30 or more charging cycles.

After 3 months of heavy duty use in an SB-910 and SB-700, the batteries maintained, on average, 91% remaining charge. I did notice under certain shooting conditions, the batteries will get very warm, but never to the point of being hot. I would say the batteries maintained their consistency throughout months of use. However, other reviewers indicated they were not as lucky in some instances. This could be a quality control or production issue that varies. Some tips: Immediately test and charge the batteries on arrival. I would not use them on location unless they were first tested and charged. Another recommendation I make is to label your batteries. I label them by mo/yr of purchase using a permanent marker. Some people group the batteries by number and link them to a particualr flash unit so the batteries can be drained and charged together and replaced as a group when they expire.

Once I have these batteries for a year, I will re-evaluate whether I will use Eneloops or stay with these. I will report back any issues.