Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Style Name: 4-Port USB 3.0|Change

Style Name: 4-Port USB 2.0|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I travel often and need to take a portable office with me. As a professional presenter and it seems like I am always making changes to my presentations right up to the last minute. I bought a mini hub similar to this one because I got tired of working with a limited number of USB ports on my travel computer. I purchased an unknown brand from a local store and it would not support all of the devices that I needed. As soon as I received this one I recreated the same situation that failed with my cheap hub and everything worked just fine. The hub supported my portable hard drive, a memory card and reader, a USB memory stick and my GPS. I had no problem at all running all of these devices through this hub.

When my other hub failed I when to the store that I purchased it from and they told me to call the manufacturer. It was a no-name brand and I couldn't find a way to contact them. I have never had a problem with a product that I have purchased from Amazon that they hasn't made right. I expect that since their name is on this product they would certainly make sure that I was taken care of if ever this hub failed. That means a lot to me as a consumer.
1111 comments|684 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2013
Runs 7 ASICMINERS for mining bitcoin at a total of 2.333 GH/s. Has plenty of amps for the job and gives you that less than 1% error rate you would expect. No room for heat sinks if that's your thing but a fan is keeping mine from bursting into flames. Should be a nice hand-warmer for the upcoming cold. Anyway, I'm sure this works great as a hub for other things but there's more than enough amperage to power any of your most demanding USB devices.
review image
22 comments|183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2014
This thing has so far done the job and is pretty fast. The only concern I have is the same as others who note that the 4 main pins (from USB 2.0 and before) are shaped in such a way that it would be extremely easy to catch on one and bend it back. I knew this before buying, hoping Amazon had changed their manufacturing in the meantime. they havn't changed it at all so I am very careful to slowly insert new USB devices into this hub. luckily that isn't often since I got this mainly to wrangle the 5 large capacity external USB drives I have gathered over the years. I have 2 pics uploaded which can be seen here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00E6GX4BG/

Pro tip: if Amazon doesn't offer a link to upload pics just use the above URL and replace the last section (B00E6GX4BG) with the product number of the item you wish to review and/or just see customer pics of.
review image review image
on October 25, 2014
The contacts are more round than flat and can catch on whatever USB device you are plugging into them. This means the contact can fold back over time. This is different than the 2.0 version of the product where the contacts are flat. I didn't notice this until it was too late and ruined 2 of the 4 ports. Keep in mind that my usage of this product is minimum at best. I just purchased an Anker USB 3.0 hub and will see how that goes. Am disappointed by this purchase, especially since the 2 USB 2.0 hubs I own are rock solid.
VINE VOICEon March 21, 2011
Style Name: 4-Port USB 2.0|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There really isn't a whole lot to say about a USB hub. Obviously, as the description states, it supports up through the USB 2.0 standard. It's extremely lightweight and small, taking up about half the area of an average smartphone. It has a single amber LED that lights when power is reaching it.

The hub works flawlessly for me. Since it has no separate power supply, its ability to handle higher-powered devices that draw from the USB cable is limited to the port you are connecting it to.

(Edit 03/22/11) ---------
I'm seeing some other reviews that aren't entirely accurate regarding the unpowered nature of the hub, so it's worth expanding on. The USB hub can handle exactly as much power as the port that it is plugged into is capable of providing. For example, many keyboards have a USB port that can be used to plug in a mouse. Generally that is a low-powered port that is incapable of running a portable hard drive, charging an iPod, etc. Plugging the hub into that port would present the same limitations.

On the other hand, plugging the hub into a port directly on the computer's chassis is going to provide significantly more power to the hub. Higher powered devices such as a DVD burner, hard drive, etc. will work -- provided they work plugged directly into that same port the hub is plugged into. And if multiple devices are connected simultaneously, the power they draw combined must still be less than the maximum power available to the port.
--------

I tested the hub in both Windows 7 (64-bit) and Fedora 14 x86_64 Linux (on a dual-boot Dell Inspiron 15R) with no problems whatsoever. No drivers are required, so it's effectively a seamless addition to any system. Plugging in a USB memory stick or 500GB WD Passport portable hard drive resulted in the item in question being mounted exactly as if the hardware had been plugged in directly. A quick throughput test showed that the hub was perfectly capable of handling the 500GB Passport drive while it was playing a 720p high definition mp4 video.

I docked one star for the price, which at the time of this writing, is shown as more than double the price of other functionally equivalent mini-hubs such as the Belkin 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub and the Connectland CL-U2MNHUB-4B 4-Port USB Mini Hub. If the price goes down to something that is more in line with these other hubs, I will amend the rating.

Other than the price though, I found no issues with its build, functionality, or usability. If the cost comes down I can honestly, whole-heartedly recommend this hub.

*** Update 08/06/2012 *** The price has indeed gone down by more than 50% since this review. As such, I have amended the rating as promised. Oh, and the hub is still performing as it was when I originally posted the review.
1616 comments|298 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2012
I received this the other day. I desperately needed some more USB ports for all the gadgets which are accumulating around my computer these days.

This mini hub seemed to fit the bill, cheap, good reviews, I gave it a shot. In general I have to say it works quite well. Windows 7 64bit recognized it right away. Basic items such as jump drives which were plugged into the hub also worked as soon as the driver was installed. So no problems there.

Then I ran into a small glitch. I play flight simulator and have a throttle and joystick attached to my computer. Both are plugged directly into the computer USB ports, not into the hub. But when the mini hub is plugged in, the throttle jumps around and is pretty much useless. Not sure what the interaction is on the USB bus ports from a plugged in hub to a device plugged directly into the computer, but apparently it creates issues. When I unplug it, it's fine. I'm going to look into this issue, maybe there is some combination I can come up with which resolves this problem.

One other minor complaint, the orange LED light which lights up when the mini hub is plugged in is really bright. In a dark room, it is like a night light. Probably wasn't necessary to make it that bright.

All in all, it functions well, I'm hoping to fix this problem with my joystick, otherwise I will have to find another USB hub which I can leave permanently attached. For now four stars...

Update:
Couldn't get rid of the problem. So I'm not using it much. It's a shame, but for most people this probably won't be an issue. For my use, I will have to downgrade it to three stars.
review image
44 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style Name: 7-Port USB 3.0|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )

** January 2014 Amazon stopped shipping this item, and has now resumed. Chances are, this gross defect has been eliminiated. **

** 9-21-2014 Ooops... Commenter Rian says this problem has cropped up again. **

This is about the 7-port USB 3.0 model.

I tested this hub with 3 different USB flash drives, all with a history of working fine.

Problems started almost immediately.

It turns out, several of the pins inside the USB sockets got caught and bent/smashed back into inner depths of the socket. This happened on 10 of the 28 pins. (4 visible pins per port)

On the 2 ports that still work, I can see that at least 4 of the 8 visible pins have their ends sticking up too high. They're asking to be similarly caught and bent back.

The symptoms that led to this were:

- Message: "Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices has been disabled."

- Port not working

- I recall too much resistance when first inserting a USB flash drive.

~~~ Comments & questions welcome ~~~
77 comments|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2014
So I bought one of these and the first time I plugged in a flash drive, Windows popped up a message saying that there was a power surge on the port. I quickly unplugged the hub and inspected everything. The flash drive looked fine but then I took a look at the port on the hub. I could clearly see that two of the pins had bent back into the port and shorted out. This was a pretty standard PNY USB flash drive that I've used countless times before with many different computers without any issues.

The pins in the other ports looked fine so I tried plugging a Kingston flash drive into one of them. When I removed the flash drive, I saw the same thing, one of the pins had bent back. I tried all four ports and only one of them managed to survive a couple of insertions and removals.

I returned the hub to Amazon for a replacement. The new one had the exact same problems. I requested a refund for that one. I'm not going to try a third.

STAY AWAY unless you want to risk shorting out your computer's USB port and/or your USB devices. Luckily, my computer and flash drives are fine. Maybe different pins will bend in yours and you wont be so lucky.
on February 9, 2013
This mini hub was working perfectly for about 2 weeks when it decided to stop functioning. I have my wireless mouse and keyboard plugged into it, and it almost constantly disconnects them on a frequent basis. I reconnect them directly into the USB port on my PC and they work fine, which proves the hub is malfunctioning.

I got this based off the numerous positive reviews here, but unfortunately leave sorely disappointed. Don't buy this.
on July 15, 2012
This hub seems to have a problem when an USB audio device is connected through it. If there's any electrical power line interruption (fridge starting), it causes a drop in the audio. For all other uses, it worked fine.

Honestly, many hubs seem to have this issue, including the Pluggable and CablesToGo ones. The Belkin and the one built into my Dell LCD monitor do not seem to have this problem. (I've bought a lot of hubs looking for a good one! I knew they exist bec my Dell LCD's built-in worked but I needed one for a different PC.)

It must be a matter of one chip set vs another but I do not know which chipset is in which hubs.

And yes, I do have some decent power filters / voltage regulators, but they don't respond quickly enough to short drops in voltage. (Online UPS would work fine but those things are noisy!!!)
1111 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse