2,157 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The best multi port hub that I have seen
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:10 Mins
Published on March 22, 2011 by Timothy B. Riley

3.0 out of 5 stars Problem when used with USB audio
This hub seems to have a problem when an USB audio device is connected through it. If there's any electrical power line interruption (fridge starting), it causes a drop in the audio. For all other uses, it worked fine.

Published on July 15, 2012 by RKL

5.0 out of 5 stars The best multi port hub that I have seen, March 22, 2011
Length:: 2:10 Mins

I travel often and need to take a portable office with me. As a professional presenter and it seems like I am always making changes to my presentations right up to the last minute. I bought a mini hub similar to this one because I got tired of working with a limited number of USB ports on my travel computer. I purchased an unknown brand from a local store and it would not support all of the devices that I needed. As soon as I received this one I recreated the same situation that failed with my cheap hub and everything worked just fine. The hub supported my portable hard drive, a memory card and reader, a USB memory stick and my GPS. I had no problem at all running all of these devices through this hub.

When my other hub failed I when to the store that I purchased it from and they told me to call the manufacturer. It was a no-name brand and I couldn't find a way to contact them. I have never had a problem with a product that I have purchased from Amazon that they hasn't made right. I expect that since their name is on this product they would certainly make sure that I was taken care of if ever this hub failed. That means a lot to me as a consumer.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4-Port Hub Does The Job...., March 21, 2011
Jeff Kraus (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There really isn't a whole lot to say about a USB hub. Obviously, as the description states, it supports up through the USB 2.0 standard. It's extremely lightweight and small, taking up about half the area of an average smartphone. It has a single amber LED that lights when power is reaching it.

The hub works flawlessly for me. Since it has no separate power supply, its ability to handle higher-powered devices that draw from the USB cable is limited to the port you are connecting it to.

(Edit 03/22/11) ---------
I'm seeing some other reviews that aren't entirely accurate regarding the unpowered nature of the hub, so it's worth expanding on. The USB hub can handle exactly as much power as the port that it is plugged into is capable of providing. For example, many keyboards have a USB port that can be used to plug in a mouse. Generally that is a low-powered port that is incapable of running a portable hard drive, charging an iPod, etc. Plugging the hub into that port would present the same limitations.

On the other hand, plugging the hub into a port directly on the computer's chassis is going to provide significantly more power to the hub. Higher powered devices such as a DVD burner, hard drive, etc. will work -- provided they work plugged directly into that same port the hub is plugged into. And if multiple devices are connected simultaneously, the power they draw combined must still be less than the maximum power available to the port.
--------

I tested the hub in both Windows 7 (64-bit) and Fedora 14 x86_64 Linux (on a dual-boot Dell Inspiron 15R) with no problems whatsoever. No drivers are required, so it's effectively a seamless addition to any system. Plugging in a USB memory stick or 500GB WD Passport portable hard drive resulted in the item in question being mounted exactly as if the hardware had been plugged in directly. A quick throughput test showed that the hub was perfectly capable of handling the 500GB Passport drive while it was playing a 720p high definition mp4 video.

I docked one star for the price, which at the time of this writing, is shown as more than double the price of other functionally equivalent mini-hubs such as the Belkin 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub and the Connectland CL-U2MNHUB-4B 4-Port USB Mini Hub. If the price goes down to something that is more in line with these other hubs, I will amend the rating.

Other than the price though, I found no issues with its build, functionality, or usability. If the cost comes down I can honestly, whole-heartedly recommend this hub.

*** Update 08/06/2012 *** The price has indeed gone down by more than 50% since this review. As such, I have amended the rating as promised. Oh, and the hub is still performing as it was when I originally posted the review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Problem when used with USB audio, July 15, 2012

Honestly, many hubs seem to have this issue, including the Pluggable and CablesToGo ones. The Belkin and the one built into my Dell LCD monitor do not seem to have this problem. (I've bought a lot of hubs looking for a good one! I knew they exist bec my Dell LCD's built-in worked but I needed one for a different PC.)

It must be a matter of one chip set vs another but I do not know which chipset is in which hubs.

And yes, I do have some decent power filters / voltage regulators, but they don't respond quickly enough to short drops in voltage. (Online UPS would work fine but those things are noisy!!!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Physical Defects - 5 out of 7 ports, November 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

** January 2014 Amazon stopped shipping this item, and has now resumed. Chances are, this gross defect has been eliminiated. **

** 9-21-2014 Ooops... Commenter Rian says this problem has cropped up again. **

This is about the 7-port USB 3.0 model.

I tested this hub with 3 different USB flash drives, all with a history of working fine.

Problems started almost immediately.

It turns out, several of the pins inside the USB sockets got caught and bent/smashed back into inner depths of the socket. This happened on 10 of the 28 pins. (4 visible pins per port)

On the 2 ports that still work, I can see that at least 4 of the 8 visible pins have their ends sticking up too high. They're asking to be similarly caught and bent back.

The symptoms that led to this were:

- Message: "Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices has been disabled."

- Port not working

- I recall too much resistance when first inserting a USB flash drive.

~~~ Comments & questions welcome ~~~

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazon, Where Is The Quality Control? - Edited - Please see comments, December 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Amazon is fairly new to the computer accessory market, but not to providing quality products and good service. Since this is an Amazon Basics branded product, I expected more in the quality department than I received.

Let me make a note here. Amazon has lumped all of the reviews together for all of their Amazon Basics hubs. The 600+ reviews include the 4-Port USB 2.0, 4-Port USB 3.0, 7-Port USB 2.0, and this product, the 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub, so be careful when looking at the reviews for this device, make sure you are not looking at a review for another hub.

This is one thing that Amazon frequently does with electronics that I don't think it makes sense, I think every product should have its own review. This type of lumping together makes sense when things such as color are different, but the product is exactly the same. Here, we are looking at reviews for four totally different products.

The packaging for the AmazonBasics 7 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 12V/3A power adapter is Certified Frustration Free cardboard, which I like very much, since it is recyclable. Although the label indicates there are no wire tires, I did find some on the cords for the power adapter, so technically the packaging is not Frustration-Free based on Amazon's own standards - even the picture shows the wire ties. Eh, that doesn't really bother me, but it is something that Amazon should probably address to the manufacturer to make it truly Frustration-Free. Strike One for quality control, though a minor issue.

Included in the package are the hub, a power adapter, a power cable, and an instruction manual. The entire hub is shipped with a plastic film to protect the product from scratches, then there is another plastic film that covers the brushed (metal?) flat front part that slopes up (the whole rectangular part where the logo is).

With all this protection from scratches, this is where one of my issues lies. Underneath the two layers of protective film, there is about a one inch scratch on the left side of the device near where the power and USB cable plug in. It is white, like scratching down to the undercoat of a car's paintjob. I have checked both protective films and they are in pristine condition, which indicates that this is how the device left the factory in China - scratched! Strike Two for quality control.

Ok, so a scratch isn't the end of the world. Once the unit was plugged into AC power and connected to my computer I thought the LED indicator would glow. This is a little LED above the brushed area near where the scratch is, you can barely make it out in the picture. Hmm, nothing. Let's look at the instruction manual. It shows the LED indicator in the diagram, but does not indicate what it does, and when it should illuminate. I plugged the USB cable into every port on my computer, then every port on another computer, both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0, with different devices attached, but the light does not seem to be functioning. Strike Three for quality control.

The hub itself appears to functioning without issue, and is speedy. There are five USB 3.0 ports on the back of the device that can be used for self powered devices such as desktop hard drives that have their own external power supply or for synching and data transfer. There are only two powered USB 3.0 ports on the right side that allow for charging and powering devices such as flash drives and portable hard drives that rely on bus power. If you have more than two devices that require bus power, you may want to look for a different hub. My Seagate Expansion drive and my Western Digital Passport and Cruzer flash drive will not power up from the 5 rear ports, only from the 2 powered ports on the side. These days many devices are bus powered, so for many devices this hub may not cut it. - Edit - This may not be correct - Please see comments section below. My device may be more defective than first thought.

As with all USB 3.0 devices, it is backwards compatible with older USB 2.0 and 1.0 technology, so you can buy this device for the future, even if you currently only have USB 2.0 ports and devices.

Since the Amazon Basics 7 Port USB 3.0 Hub does not appear to be available yet, it is impossible at this time to compare its price to others on the market, so I'm not sure how competitive this product is against other hubs of its type.

I'm giving this device two stars for two reasons - the first of course is the quality control issues, the second is that there are only two truly powered ports on this hub. Nowhere in the product description is this mentioned. If someone bought this device to connect 7 flash drives to it, they will be surely disappointed.

UPDATE: Apparently the other 5 ports are powered per comments below, and Amazon sent me a defective device. With this being known, my experience however, does not change my star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Travel Hub - Simple, No Frills but Delivers the Performance, March 26, 2011
Tetsu Uma "The 'Iron Horse'" (Illinois Native in Manassas Park, VA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
03/30/2011 UPDATE: Amazon just dropped the price from $19.99 to $10.99 and I just upped my rating to 5 Stars.

03/26/2011: With laptops and netbooks getting smaller and having fewer or worse, tightly spaced USB ports, a small USB hub has almost become an necessity. AmazonBasics has entered the market with a 4-Port USB 2.0 Mini Hub to provide road warriors (and others) the extra USB ports they need. The rectangular unit, molded in black plastic, is pretty small, measuring 2.5" x 1.75" x .67", and has a 8" cord which I found to be long enough. The layout has 3 ports on the front and one port on the back next to the cord and includes an orange LED indicator light on the top so you can quickly check to see if you are connected. I tested this on machines using both Windows7 and Vista and in both cases, the OS detected the hub and downloaded the drivers (from the hub) with no user input required. The unit was able to run multiple, low powered devices (mouse, recharge a music player, thumb drive, cordless keyboard mini dongle) simultaneously but since the hub isn't powered, i.e. from an external power supply plugged into a wall socket, I believe a user might have problems trying to use multiple devices with a power hog like an unpowered external hard drive or external DVD player. I did not have an unpowered external hard drive available so I wasn't able to test that.

I found the unit very easy to use and compact enough to find a permanent place in the computer bag. There were no printed instructions so I suspect this is one of those cases where if you know you need it, you probably know how to connect it. The only real, albeit minor, problem I noticed with the hub is USB plug on the device. There is an AmazonBasics logo on the plug and while the unit follows USB convention and has the USB logo on the top, several times I tried to plug the hub in with the AmazonBasics logo up and of course, it didn't fit. Also, that logo is raised and extends above the plug. Not a good idea in my opinion as the area around USB ports on laptops and netbooks is already too cramped. The Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging worked as promised as there was no plastic blisters or wrapping to cut open. Everything was packed in fitted cardboard that went right into the recycling. Nice. Overall, I like the AmazonBasics USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub and plan on using it when I travel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pins in USB ports bend back and short out, April 14, 2014
This review is from: AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter (Electronics)
So I bought one of these and the first time I plugged in a flash drive, Windows popped up a message saying that there was a power surge on the port. I quickly unplugged the hub and inspected everything. The flash drive looked fine but then I took a look at the port on the hub. I could clearly see that two of the pins had bent back into the port and shorted out. This was a pretty standard PNY USB flash drive that I've used countless times before with many different computers without any issues.

The pins in the other ports looked fine so I tried plugging a Kingston flash drive into one of them. When I removed the flash drive, I saw the same thing, one of the pins had bent back. I tried all four ports and only one of them managed to survive a couple of insertions and removals.

I returned the hub to Amazon for a replacement. The new one had the exact same problems. I requested a refund for that one. I'm not going to try a third.

STAY AWAY unless you want to risk shorting out your computer's USB port and/or your USB devices. Luckily, my computer and flash drives are fine. Maybe different pins will bend in yours and you wont be so lucky.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great (no more plugging and unplugging), April 25, 2012
RDS (Newark, NJ) - See all my reviews
I bought this product to use for my Mac Book Pro and it works great. I have my HP printer, mouse, and external hardrive USB wires attached to the hub with no foul play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Brand Surprise!, October 24, 2012
I was skeptical about getting this because of its "Amazon" brand. But how could I ignore the high star rating? I actually bought another usb hub from kmart that was supposed to be a USB 2.0 hub but funny thing was, when I ran benchmarks on a USB hard drive connected to it, it was 30x slower than if the hard drive were connected directly to the computer's USB port. Now bear in mind that this USB hard drive has its own power supply so power was not an issue. For about the same price I bought this Amazon usb hub. I ran a benchmark again and this time the speed was the same whether I plugged the hard drive into this hub or directly into the computer. That's really my main concern because I needed a hub for 1 port on my Samsung Series 7 Slate to hook up a DVD drive, USB hard drive and keyboard to image the slate's SSD drive. Worked like a charm. Also, the cable on this is in my opinion long enough for its use on my tablet. Now if you wanted to connect the hub from the back port of a desktop cpu on the floor under your desk to the top of your desk, then yes the cable length will be too short, you'd probably need a USB extension cable. Keep in mind on this hub, the currently attached cable cannot be removed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great w/ Raspberry PI, December 5, 2013
Ordered this 7 port USB 2.0 hub for use with the Raspberry Pi model B. With 4A this device not only provides a USB hub to the PI but also enough USB power to run it. The device can run the PI, charge a smartphone and connect many devices without trouble.

It's not in the description, and hard to imagine from the picture, but the stand can be mounted to the bottom or the side opposite the logo providing vertical and horizontal orientations.