4.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your buck?
I've heard some other more expensive bluetooth speakers such as the Jambox. I like the jambox actually, i think it sounds good and has decent volume. I ordered the Photive CYREN but returned it because it sounded terrible to me. And i'm sure it work working fine, it was just a really disappointing sound.

So i took a chance on this because it seemed like a...
Published 8 months ago by DOUGLAS K WILKINSON

3.0 out of 5 stars Good not great speaker
If you are looking for a cheaper Jambox then I wouldn't recommend this speaker. If you are looking for a good portable speaker to use in a small office, kitchen, bathroom, etc then it's a great speaker for the size and price. Most of my complaints could be settled if there were a way to make settings changes to the speaker.

Pros:

- Price
-...
Published 8 months ago by Jeffrey J. Triplett

4.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your buck?, December 25, 2013
This review is from: AmazonBasics Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Black (Electronics)

So i took a chance on this because it seemed like a strange product for Amazon to be making and there are so many other options out there, why would they get into this space and risk their reputation unless they had something that was a great value? Bingo! I feel like if this was marketed by another company this would be roughly a $100 product. At $60 i think this is a steal. I don't feel like I want the Jambox anymore.

As far as the sound goes, its all pretty subjective, but to my ear, its pretty well balanced. It doesn't kick out the same bass that the jambox does, but the bass does sound a bit tighter and more true to the source. The highs are VERY crisp if you are listening on-axis to the speaker. It won't get as loud as the jambox, however it seems like maybe they capped it where they did to avoid distortion. I don't think i need this to be a lot louder but i could see some others complaining.

Anyway, i would recommend this to pretty much anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Product! Awesome Price :-), January 17, 2014
O.K. boys and girls. This is my honest opinion of this very fine product.
I have been to a lot of my friends houses and it seems that they all have some sort of small bluetooth speaker ranging in prices from $40 bucks up to $200 bucks. In comparison, I love what I got for such a good price. For one thing when compared to the $40 dollar speaker, the Amazon Basics seem to have more bass and the $40 dollar speaker didn't have the ability to answer a cell phone. When compared to the $120 dollar speakers, I'd have to say they sound about the same for half the price. They both had speaker phone capabilities. The $200 dollar speaker did sound better and had more bass but the Amazon Basics is half the price, and, it is a lot more smaller and is more easy to move around from location to location in my book bag. It paired with ease to my iPhone and my computer. The buttons are good sized and placed well for me. It feels very solid in hand. Not a brick with large magnets on the speakers. Just solid like it won't fall apart. I ran several types of music through it. Some with a lot of bass and at full volume on both my iPhone and the speaker. It did not distort the music at all for me. It seemed like the manufacture capped the volume so it would sound clean at full volume. Also, at full volume on both my iPhone and the speaker, there was no noticeable sound or his when the music was not playing. Nice and quiet. All this testing was done with the charge that came with the speaker out of the box. All in all I love it. The packaging that the speaker came in is very nice too. Easy to open and yet protects nicely.
Now for what I don't like.
Amazon! Why put out a awesome product and then drop the ball by only giving you a USB charging cable that is only 20" inches long? Seems to short for me to charge it from the most usual places. I have a AC/USB adapter that I can use but this short cord wont reach it from my desk. How many people have there computer on the floor? While charging, would you want to use the speaker down there? Now I have to purchase a longer cable and toss this one in the junk pile. Nothing big but it would have been nice for it to come with a standard sized cable.
Why not add a AC/USB adapter? Would have been nice but not needed for me.
Now just a pet peeve of mine.
It would have been nice to have a stereo jack out so you can daisy-chain a few of these speakers together for a larger get together.
Other than the USB cable, it is a very good speaker for its size with good sound that I think anyone would love without spending a lot of cash! I'll update this review about the battery life once I have had some more time using it.
Hope this review helps someone with there decision.

***One more suggestion Amazon. Design a inexpensive travel case so it won't get scratched up in my book bag.

- Quick Update 01-18-14 - I decided to take it apart to find out what was inside and how it was made.
Both the screens were inserted with a rubberized glue around the edges to hold them in and keep them from vibrating and making noises. The inside of the speaker box along with the wires and electronics are all lined with a foam material. The box is sealed! Where the plastic plate that holds the speakers in and attaches to the speaker box, it is screwed in and looks to be glued or hot glued to keep it air tight. The rest of my observations are from what I could see through the speaker openings after I took out the speakers. The speakers are of good make. Not the best but good. I don't think that the rear sub is an actual sub. From what I could see, nothing was hooked up to it. No metal frame and no magnet or wires. There was no visible battery but it may be housed in one of the switch housings. All in all it looks like it was very nicely made and not just cheeply thrown together. I like what I did see. I'll try to post some pics if I can.

- Update 01-25-14 - After a week in the office of use for up to 8 hours per day with the our digital printers running, I can safely say that the volume for such a small speaker is very good. I did get a little distortion at full volume from the bass on a few songs but I never seem to run it at full volume all that much. Yes. I have to agree with others that the sound is a little muddy but I believe that if it wasn't, the bass sound wouldn't be as good. Seems like a compromise to me that I don't mind. I do like the sound. Several times I did have a phone call while out at the machines and I was able to receive the call, talk and hang up with no problem. I asked the caller how I sounded and they all told me fine. There was no echo like you sometimes get on Skype. Several employees that I work with came in and listened and they liked it too. Two of them stated that they were going to order one too.
My printers were 17' and 25' away from my desk where my cell phone was. There is one wall that the signal had to pass through and I had no dropouts in the music and phone calls.
All in all it is a $60.00 dollar bluetooth speaker that does what it supposed to do and does it well. You shouldn't expect it to sound like a larger, more expensive system but I am very impressed with what I got.
One more note. The battery lasts for a long time. I charged it every other day with my workstations USB port and in about 4 hours it was done. That was while I was still using it at the same time.
Enjoy and have fun with your new bluetooth speaker :-)
I love mine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good not great speaker, December 9, 2013

Pros:

- Price
- Size
- Reasonable battery
- Reasonable sound quality

Cons:

- Turning the speaker on activates a series of really loud beeps. Even if I have the volume tuned down really low this series of beeps is always moderately loud.
- The power management shuts off way too quickly. (see loud beeps which are worse because this shuts half a dozen times a day).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality., February 4, 2014
Pros
-Battery Life is great. I have had it last more than 10 hours a few times.
-Sound quality is good. You might be surprised for something this size to get good sound quality.
-Can get pretty loud. Have no issue turning it up and moving across a 50 foot room and still hearing clearly.
-Range. It can work through walls and I have gotten it to go over 50 feet from device.
-Price!

Cons
-I wish the bass was a little deeper but it is not something that you would expect from mostly any mini speakers.
-When turned up to the max volume and right next to it, the sound will be slightly distorted from close(but not from far).
-THE NAME! I wish it had a hipper name!

Review: I was in a debate on wether to get the Bose Soundlink mini(Something my buddy has and I know is a great product), the jambox mini(something that was cheaper than Bose but still pricey) and this Amazon Basics Portable Bluetooth Speaker. I mainly tried this one first due to price and if I was disappointed I would move up the price chain. Well there was no need! The sound on this one is solid. While I wish the bass was deeper, it is not something I would pay double or triple the price to get more bass. The sound quality is good, it is easy to use, and it is a great overall buy. The only thing I wish it had was a wall plug in the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Must-have, January 6, 2014
As a college student I don't necessarily have the money for the $200 versions of this brand (Beats Pill, Jawbone Jambox), many of which are marketed for people like me (see the beats pill in the new Britney Spears video, and the Jambox ads in young-adult magazines). The fact is that if I spent $200 on any speaker it might never leave its box... or at least it would be confined to one room. The affordability of this item allows me to use it as a "portable speaker" without having to worry about a speaker the price of a small laptop breaking at a park.

The sound quality is amazing for the price (I have no complaints). Could it be better? Sure... But is it worth paying so much extra that it will be like walking on eggshells when you are using this item? Absolutely not. The battery life is also impressive. I have been using it for a few days now, of and on and had no need to recharge it. Before I bought the product I was concerned with the "beeping" noise all the reviews talked about. To be entirely honest I hardly notice it, and it only happens when you disconnect your phone from the device or turn off the device. I also have had no issues connecting to or from the device. The set-up is simple and it has never had trouble connecting despite me using it from a distance. This item fulfills its purpose. It is portable, easy to use, it works, and the sound quality makes you want to use it. It also isn't obnoxious or flashy. It is simple, purposeful and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a portable Bluetooth speaker. You also always have Amazon customer service should anything go incredibly wrong with your item, so its even more low risk.

Worthwhile purchase. Glad I bought it.

3.0 out of 5 stars One problem: EMI noise on AUX jack, January 17, 2014
jwss (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
The device sounds fine and quickly pairs with my iPhone, but it has an interference problem.

When you have the USB power cable attached, playing any audio source through the AUX port picks up a lot of static. If you take out the USB power cable, the static goes away. My theory: the charger creates electromagnetic interference (EMI) that isn't filtered and ends up being reproduced through the speakers. If you never use the AUX port while keeping it plugged in (or never use the AUX port at all), then you shouldn't have this problem. I had planned to use this as a desktop computer speaker, but that won't work in light of this issue.

So I went with three stars. It works just fine, depending on how you use it ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound for the price, December 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The number of portable Bluetooth speakers seems to have exploded in the past year. They range from cheap low powered little cubes that do little more than an iPhone's speaker up to very expensive box style ones similar in shape to this one. This speaker is great if you want to fill a room with ambient holiday/working/cleaning music or share your music while on the road. It isn't going to replace a shelf system where you can absorb the fidelity of each and every note, but at this price you wouldn't expect to. To be fair though, the sound is loud and clear enough to be your primary sound system if you're on a budget. It's mostly noise free, and only when I had both the phone and the speaker on max did i feel I needed to back one off by a notch to prevent distortion. It also paired easily and the battery life is longer than I've needed, although I usually keep it plugged in. The only "problem" I could find was that when it's not plugged in it goes into a disconnected battery saving mode even if it's on, when there hasn't been any audio for awhile. This is a good feature to save battery life, but it does mean I have to wake it up and reconnect after a long interruption. Other than that I'm very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, Great Price, April 4, 2014
This is not a comment on quality from an audio purest, but from someone who wanted a practical way to play music in a hospital room. I cannot tell the difference between this and the JAMBOX. So from a normal listener's perspective, the price is awesome. The device is easy to use and syncing to my HTC Inspire was dead simple. The sound feedback (e.g. synced, charged, etc.) is appropriate and there are only a few buttons. In listening to Pandora, the forward button on the unit skipped to the next song on the phone.

Bear in mind the device only comes with a very short usb to micro usb cord. I have plenty of longer cords and wall adapters, so this isn't an issue for me. I'd rather pay less and get what I asked for rather than paying for more and getting a hodgepodge of useless accessories.

This is a good product at a great price. And I'll certainly update if I see any issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended!, January 15, 2014
I wanted a basic speaker to use with my phone for listening to music and/or for use as an alarm clock. This does the trick. Thanks to Amazon packaging and being a VERY simple to use device, it was out of the box and paired with my phone in a matter of seconds. Fired up Pandora and it sounds good! Not great, I agree with several reviews, but really damn good for a $60 Bluetooth speaker. Not to mention, I actually thought it would be cheap plastic but it's not. At least I don't think. If it is plastic, it's VERY heavy plastic that feels a lot like metal. I was pretty surprised. If you're looking for a decent, relatively low-cost Bluetooth speaker, look no further. This was worth my $60 for sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality accurately reflected by cost, December 31, 2013
Speaker looses bluetooth connection more often than it should and/or takes multiple attempts to pair with my computer/device from close range (I own MacBook Pro and iPod). Sound quality is hardly any better than my MacBook Pro, just louder and with a slight detection of bass. Speaker automatically shuts off after 5 minutes of non-use to preserve battery life, but this requires re-establishing bluetooth connection which can take multiple attempts and become annoying quickly. Speaker only plays audio out of one side and does not project side to side well. Construction is lightweight (weighs about as much as unopened soda can), feels sturdy, but not exceptionally rugged.

Reading through some of these previous reviews, I don't understand how some people can even compare this speaker to Bose or Jambox. Literally not even in the same category of speaker type - like comparing a Mercedes to a Honda (luxury vs low-cost)… That being said however, the beauty of this speaker is that it is quite cheap. You get what you pay for and if you want something portable and decently loud that you don't have to worry much about, than this is the speaker for you.

AmazonBasics Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Black