2,267 Reviews
 (1,554)

1,936 of 1,969 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars What this great product needs is... a better name
I just finished testing one set of those AmazonBasics AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, using my old La Crosse BC-900 Charger/Analyzer. Here are my findings:

Published on May 15, 2011 by NLee the Engineer

I updated my original review...

This is my original 3-star review from 11/28/2012

Bottom Line: Be sure to charge, or at least test, these batteries before you use them.

This review, so far, addresses only the condition of my eight...
Published on November 28, 2012 by Bob Tobias

1,936 of 1,969 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars What this great product needs is... a better name, May 15, 2011

- Right out of the box, their average remaining charge is 1946mAh. The spread is very small, ranging from 1933 to 1959mAh. Note that the date code on those cells says 'MAR2011', so they probably left factory just two months ago. Still, those numbers are really impressive.

- After just one recharge/discharge cycle (done at 700/350mA), the average capacity improved to 2217mAh. That is about 11% higher than the rated capacity of '2000mAh'. Again the spread is small, varying from 2200 to 2250mAh. Those numbers remain unchanged in subsequent recharge/discharge cycles.

Just for comparison, the NEW Sanyo eneloop AA cells are also rated for 2000mAh typical, but the average capacity I measured is around 2130mAh, or 'only' 6% higher than rated. On the other hand, Sanyo claims the second-generation eneloop cells can be recharged up to 1500 cycles, whereas GP and AmazonBaisc NiMH batteries are rated for 'only' 1000 cycles. In real life, most people will probably never notice the difference.

In summary, all three brands I mentioned above (Sanyo, GP and AmazonBasics) are excellent products. They all live up to the claim of "pre-charged and ready to use right out of the pack", and offer even higher capacities than rated. So just go by which brand is on sale, and you can't go wrong.

[Aside]
Most battery makers are touting their products as 'Advanced', 'Platinum', 'Ultra', and so on. Why oh why does Amazon simply call those superior batteries 'AmazonBasics'? If this is 'Basic', I can't wait to test the 'AmazonPrime' batteries!

[Aside#2]
Those AmazonBasics Pre-charged NiMH batteries are in black, which (to me) makes them look like disposable alkaline cells. On the other hand, the AmazonBasics Alkaline Batteries are in white, which makes them look like rechargeable cells. I really wish the color scheme were the other way around.

[*Update on Apr 14, 2012*]
Long term self-discharge data of AmazonBasics batteries were disappointing, so I have to downgrade my rating from 5 to 4 stars.

I have tested one pair each of thos AA cells after 3, 4 and 8 months of storage. The average remaining charge measured were 82.3%, 79.4% and 67.6% respectively. That means they have already failed the claim of "maintains 80% of capacity after 1 year". If the present linear trend (-3% per month) continues, I expect them to retain only 55% of original charge after one year. In contrast, my previous test data with Sanyo eneloop and GP Recyko+ showed that they can retain at least 80% after 12 months.

New bottom line: For most applications, those AmazonBasics cells are good enough. But for mission-critical applications, I have to recommend Sanyo eneloop instead.

[Update on May 18, 2013]
I have tested the AmazonBasics AA NiMH Charger, but cannot recommend it for recharging those AmazonBasics batteries. See my review on it for details:

[Update on Oct 25, 2013]
There is a new version of AmazonBasics Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries in white wrappers. Both versions are advertised as 'pre-charged' and have the same capacity ratings. However, the white version is made in Japan and appears to be rebranded 2nd-gen Sanyo eneloop. The black version is made in China by some unknown manufacturer, and its charge-retention rate is not as good as that of the Sanyo eneloop. Obviously the white version is a better deal.

1.0 out of 5 stars These are atrocious - Test them when they arrive, test then just before you use them, and charge them frequently, November 28, 2012
I updated my original review...

This is my original 3-star review from 11/28/2012

This review, so far, addresses only the condition of my eight "Pre-Charged" batteries when they arrived.

I tested them with my (very accurate and reliable) ZTS Mini Battery Tester and found:

Four batteries were at 80% charge
Three batteries were at 60% charge
One battery was at 40% charge

This is no big deal other than to suggest you at least put each fresh set in a charger before using them. It also makes me a bit concerned that their shelf life may not be quite as good as advertised. There's also a chance they were just sitting on a shelf for a long time. For that, time will tell and I'll update this review as needed.

This is my 1-star update from 12/8/2012 (10 days later):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tested the eight batteries that were fully charged 10 days ago and here's what I found:

1 battery was still at 100% charge
1 battery was at 80% charge
3 batteries were at 60% charge
2 batteries were at 40% charge
1 battery was fully discharged

I wondered how I could see such atrocious performance in a product that received so many good reviews. Then I noticed that most of the good reviews seemed to come from a while ago and the bad reviews were submitted more recently.

That could mean Amazon changed their battery supplier and the new manufacturer is more prone to occasionally providing a substandard product.

Regardless of the reason, I expect that with these batteries you will need to test (and charge) them when they arrive, test (and charge them) just before you plan on using them, and expect to charge them frequently.

Update on 5/2/2014: Not really an update as much as some additional thought... I was going to give these another try figuring they maybe improved since 1012. However, I noticed that all the "Most Recent" recent reviews agreed with what I said almost a year and a half ago; that these are bad batteries. They were then and apparently still are. I guess people pay more attention to a few very early and complimentary reviews and ignore this one.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews can take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and work hard to return the favor as best as I can. I hope you will let Amazon and me know if you found this review helpful. Also, if there was anything you thought was missing or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The end for alkalines!, May 17, 2011
Nuknuk (Springfield, VA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
(Note: Amazon recently combined the reviews for the AAs and AAAs.)

With all the pre-charged batteries from different manufacturers out there now, there is no need for 1-time use alkaline batteries anymore.

Using my Lacrosee BC-700 battery charge/test function, the 4 "AA" batteries performed as follows:

Battery 1 = 2,200 mAh
Battery 2 = 2,140 mAh
Battery 3 = 2,170 mAh
Battery 4 = 2,190 mAh
(See picture I took on customers' submitted images)

Straight from the box, the batteries show remaining voltages of 1.31V (see pic above). All packs more juice compared to its rated capacity of 2000 mAh, which is comparable to the capacities of Eneloops and Duracell.

I have been using pre-charged batteries for everything now, from toys, digital cameras, clocks, to remote controls.

5.0 out of 5 stars The end for alkalines!, May 13, 2011
Nuknuk (Springfield, VA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Using my Lacrosee BC-700 battery charge/test function, the 4 "AAA" batteries performed as follows:

Battery 1 = 846 mAh
Battery 2 = 874 mAh
Battery 3 = 876 mAh
Battery 4 = 860 mAh
(See picture on customers' submitted images)

Straight from the box, the batteries show remaining voltages between 1.31 to 1.32 volts (see pic above). All packs more juice compared to its rated capacity of 800 mAh. Comparable to the capacities of Eneloops and Duracell.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not Hold a charge, January 23, 2012
These batteries were very attractive when I saw them. Price was right, quantity sounded great. I even thought, "Whoa, I didn't know Amazon did batteries!" I should of listened to my instinct that they were too good to be true.

These batteries do not hold a charge. I have used them in all sorts of electronics: mice, my weather station thing, a remote. The batteries act pretty much the same in all of them. After about 2 days, I start to notice a more sluggish response, and after another couple of uses, they are drained. They charge pretty fast in my universal charger, which always makes me want to try them again. But alas, the response is the same.

I would purchase other rechargeable batteries.

*UPDATE*

I contacted Amazon regarding these batteries and they promptly sent new ones. Apparently, they are under warranty for one year and Amazon replaced them in one day with no problems. So...thanks Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Low quality AA LSD batteries, March 27, 2012
I purchased 8 of these Amazon Basic AA batteries about 2 months ago. I measured the voltage when I received them. Most were around 1.3 volts, but two were around 1.2. I charged the two just to where they were all about 1.3 volts. I left them in the package and checked the voltage (no load) periodically. For the first week or two they all seemed to be staying close to 1.3 volts. Then they sat for about 6 weeks in the box. I tested again last week and one was 1.0 Volts (which is dead) and another around 1.1 volts (almost dead). The rest were holding around 1.27 volts which is not all that good for a LSD (Low Self Discharge) battery only 2 months old. I thought these were a good deal for $18.27 since Eneloops were over $20 for eight. This would be about $2.28 per battery as compared to $2.53 for eneloops. However, just one bad battery out of eight would make the price for one equal to $2.61 per battery. Two bad out of the 8 makes the amazon basics cost over $3.00 per battery! I have tried other brands of LSD batteries (eneloops, Rayovac, Brookstone, Sony) and so far these are the worst of the bunch. Don't think you will save some money on these, as they will cost you much more in the long run. Eneloops seem to be the best and I will be sticking with them from now on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, August 3, 2013
I purchased these batteries to use in my Wingscapes Timelapsecam 8.0 camera, which tells me the battery charge when it starts up. When fully charged, my Rayovac rechargeable batteries, which I purchased a year ago and want to replace show as 90% charged when put in the camera. When fully charged, these brand new, never used Amazon rechargeable batteries show as 60% charged when put in the camera. They do not last as long either. I have used these for about a week now and am getting consistently poor performance from these batteries. I'm not saying they don't work, but if year-old batteries from another brand are outperforming these brand new batteries, there is a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great batteries!, August 9, 2013
Have been using the Sanyo eneloop batteries for years, as they have been the best rechargable batteries I could find! Have thus far had great luck with the Amazon batteries in the short time I have had them....

-came charged! Were at 90% charge when they arrived.
-charge fully within an hour or two on my eneloop charger.
-have been used heavily in my kids Leapsters and have been performing as well as my eneloops!

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome entry into the rechargable battery market, June 11, 2011
I have used/tested most AA NIMH rechargeable batteries made, from the big names as Sanyo, Rayovac, Duracell to Soshine, Ikea and other lesser known (and quality names). As mentioned by Nlee the name and look of the of the batteries has a bit to be desired, but behind the name and look is a quality product.

Right out of the box the 8 batteries measured between 1.29 to 1.33 and the initial mAh was 1930 to 1963 with the same production date as Nlee (March 2011) and almost a month later from Nlee's purchase.

I split the batteries between La Crosse Technology BC-9009 and the Maha Powerex Wizard One. Charge/test of the BC-9009 yielded an average of 2162 and on the MH-C9000 using the "break-in" setting they yielded an average of 2227.

They are reasonably priced, good charge right out of the box, and they are true to its ratings. What else can you ask for?

1.0 out of 5 stars Low quality batteries, February 16, 2013
Usually I like Amazon branded products, and I think this is the first negative review I post.

Several months ago, I purchased several packs of both AAs and AAAs, due I use a lot of them mainly for my girls' toys. Due the great reviews, I was expecting some better than average batteries.

At first, the batteries took a good charge but after some cycles, some stopped working. My main charger is a Lacrosse, so I tried all the options without success. I tried then with several other chargers, but nothing.
Initially, I assumed: "Well... Perhaps one or two could be defective.... This could be normal...", but now, several months after the purchase, I still use the Energizer batteries I was planning to replace, and almost all the Amazon batteries are gone.