Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Style Name: TPU Case|Color: Black|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

VINE VOICEon July 31, 2013
I bought my S4 the day before leaving for RAGBRAI (a week-long bike ride across Iowa), so also bought the best case I could find for it immediately, an Otterbox Commuter. However, after using that for a week on the road, I became very aware of its limitations: 1) The included screen film had several unavoidable small bubbles, but there was no other way to protect the screen; 2) the case more than doubled the thickness of the phone; 3) opening the case to swap batteries was a chore; 4) plugging in to recharge meant opening a rubber plug each time. Yes, there are also benefits to all those aspects of the Otterbox design, such as more water resistance, but not enough to avoid also having to keep the case in a zip-lock bag when there was any chance of rain.

Hence, it was with great pleasure that I installed this new AmazonBasics Folio case instead. It slipped on easily, though not so easily that the S4 might slip out accidentally. The folio covers the screen easily and fully and without scratching. All the needed ports are still available. Sliding it off to swap a battery is no problem. Overall size is slightly smaller than the Otterbox Commuter it replaced, and just as nonskid in my hand. I particularly appreciate the way the screen turns off and on by itself as I close and open the folio cover.

In short, my S4's Otterbox Commuter case is now retired, permanently replaced by this AmazonBasics Folio Case. Definitely recommended!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 2, 2013
First I want to mention that there seems to be two types of cases being reviewed here under this listing for AmazonBasics Protective TPU case for Samsung GAlaxy S4-Black. I'm not sure why, but the case I received looks like the photo and does not have a cover, as some of the reviews indicate.

Secondly, this review is for the black version, but there is also a smoke grey version, and it appears that both are listed here at random in the reviews. Both are the same case however, simply in two different colors.

The case I recieved is a very basic, shiney attractive black rubbery case with openings for all the ports. It fits the Galaxy perfectly and snugly.
My one slight quibble, which isn't so much of a problem but takes some getting used to, is that the two tiny buttons on the side of the case are hard to push to operate the Galaxy but after a while you don't notice the difference.

I have been very impressed with all the AmazonBasics products I've tried, and this is no exception. For a very small amount of money, you are getting a really great looking, stylish, back rubber type case that feels great in the hand, and reminds me of black patent leather, in the shine department. It also is scratch resistant, and dirt rubs right off easily with a damp cloth.

I prefer the looks of the black one over the smoke colored one. The black one has a mirror like shine and just looks superb.

If anything, this improves on the basic good looks of the Galaxy. And the openings line up perfectly for the ports. Combine great looks, an amazingly low price, simple yet elegant design and material, great fit, and you have a winner. AmazonBasics comes through yet again with an affordable, beautiful product in their signature easy open, basic packaging.
The one specific feature I like about this case is the magnetic closure. It acts like a smart cover. It will automatically activate and put your phone to sleep when opened and shut closed. My Verizon Galaxy S4 fits snugly in the case with it's back cover on, some cases like these require you remove the original back cover to use.

The case feels nice in my hand, even though it is not made of real leather it looks like it is. It does not have a funny odor like some "pleather" has.

The charging port is easily accessible as well as the headphone jack and mic. The only negative comment I can mention is that the power and volume button can be difficult to use since the the imitation leather is not cut out or raised in those areas. The material sits "flushed" against the buttons with an outline surrounding the actual button. You need to press very hard to activate or use them.

Comes packaged in just a small plain box with no extra frills - that is the whole concept of Amazon Fustration-Free packaging.
This folio case opened my eyes to what was possible with cases. I had no idea that my Samsung galaxy S4 could be turned on and off by flipping open the cover on a folio case. This is wonderful, as normally I need to push a button that is located in an inconvenient location when operating the phone one-handed, and then I need to swipe the screen to wake it up. Since I have a newborn and am often using my phone one-handed, being able to just flip open the cover of my folio case and have it turn the phone on and be ready to use is fantastic.

However, while I love the functionality of this folio case, after only two weeks of testing, it is starting to come apart at the edges. In addition, when I try to flip the cover to the back so that I can use the phone one-handed without the flap flopping about, it often makes the phone think that I've put the cover on to the front, so I'll be trying to read something on my phone and the screen will go black. I don't know if this is a problem with all folio cases, but it is really disappointing on this one because it was obviously built to be able to flip the cover to the back, but it just doesn't work out as expected.

Overall, I hope they go back to the drawing board, because I found this case easy to install, comfortable to hold, and I really like the way it turned my phone on and off when I open the cover. However, the cheapness of the construction as well as the problem with the phone turning off when I flip the cover over the back of the phone so that I can read one-handed are both major problems for me, and make it so that I will not purchase a new folio case from this brand when this one wears out.
on January 31, 2014
I like tpu cases. I initially bought a high end $35 tpu case and that was a bummer. I then purchased a $20 hybrid case from a reputable company, and that was also a bummer. Then I saw this AmazonBasics case; it was only $0.95. What is there to lose? I am very glad I spent a buck on this. It fits perfect, all the cutouts line up perfectly, it adds no bulk at all, provides good grip, buttons are easy to press and it also looks great. People go crazy over drop protection, but I am not a very clumsy person. It is very rare for me to drop my phone, and even when I do, it's going to be at home, on my carpet. Keeping that in mind, tpu is designed to absorb shock. Although this is a very thin layer of tpu, it does provide some protection and also has a lay on the table design. I know my phone is protected a lot more in this case than it would be in a polycarbonate. Overall, I am very impressed with this product and my wallet is happy.
If you snag it under a couple of bucks it is totally worth it.
The phone slides in through the top and is held securely by the frame. It's pretty thin, and of course it's not going to look like a 20 dollar case. At first it seemed like the hinge portion wasn't quite large enough, but after a few days it softened slightly and now fits fine.

I wanted a super cheap case that I could embellish myself with paint and fabric, this is perfect for that purpose.

Update: removing the high rating.
My screen kept going black, not the entire screen, but only half. After researching it I learned that the magnet in this case was the culprit. I removed the phone, problem solved.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2013
Bought this for four ninety nine on an Amazon lightening deal. I have an Otterbox Defender case I use during the week while at work (harsh environment...need all the protection I can get). But on the weekends...I like to go naked...the phone, not me. But holding the S4 is akin to holding a wet bar of soap. I wanted a simple case that wouldn't detract from the beauty of the device but would improve my grip on the slippery smartphone. This case fits nicely, looks good, doesn't interfere with the screen, makes the power and volume buttons less sensitive (my buttons are way too sensitive when naked)and is very low profile. One of the best five bucks I've spent in a long time. No complaints about this device (and I'm a big complainer). Even for the normal price, this case is worth it if you are looking for a simple, elegant and functional case to provide some protection and improve the holdability of the Galaxy S4.
on February 23, 2014
This review is for the Frosted Clear TPU version. Wouldn't buy again. Can't really recommend it.

Pros:
Fits the phone. Frustration-Free packaging. Low price.

Cons:
Not very attractive on the black version of the GS4 (imho).. Maybe would look better on white phones.
Common problem with a lot of TPU cases.... the power switch and volume rocker control are covered up. There are raised moldings to show where they're located, but I always find the loss of control feel to be unacceptable. Especially with volume, you press and press get no response, then the level suddenly jumps to min or max.. Always check that a case has proper cutouts. .
on December 12, 2013
This is a great case for my new phone! I like TPU cases because they are not as flimsy as silicone cases. These protect phones extremely well! I've already dropped my phone a couple of times, but it has not been damaged at all! I had a TPU case on my old Incredible and because it protected my phone so well, I did not bother changing until I realized my son's new phone was WAY faster than mine. I will stick with this type of case because it does not have as much bulk as other cases, but I believe it protects my phone extremely well and is easy to hold. Great value for the price I paid!
on May 30, 2014
I chose 4 stars because it's ok especial for the price. It might hold my phone better it it were a s4 but mines is a s3 and it doesn't hold it good at all. So if you have a Samsung Galaxy3 and think it will fit, it doesn't. I know it said S4 and I thought since I brought one that said S4 and it fit my S3 thought this one would. Therefore, the fault is all mines for buying this when it plainly said S4.