4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good case...screen protector not so much
UPDATE
As many pointed out, the screen protector is bad. It's much harder to put on than other brands for some reason (don't know why because they use the same material..). The lock button works well IMO. Still, I'm lowering my review to 4 stars because of the screen protector and higher price point.

ORIGINAL REVIEW
I ordered this TPU case in smoke...
Published 21 months ago by HI Life

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price but fit is a little loose.
This case is not bad for the price but the fit is slightly loose around the screen.

It's a good 'interim' case but if you are willing to spend a more, you can get a much better case in another brand.
Published 21 months ago by T. Tom

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good case...screen protector not so much, October 3, 2012
HI Life (HONOLULU, HAWAII, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AmazonBasics Protective TPU Case with Screen Protector for iPhone 5 - Smoke (Wireless Phone Accessory)
UPDATE

ORIGINAL REVIEW
I ordered this TPU case in smoke along with the clear cover case that Amazon is also selling. I usually don't buy items unless there's a substancial amount of reviews but I figured it's only 10 dollars and it's from Amazon so there should be no trouble returning them if there was something wrong with it.

The case fits well. It's snug enough that it won't come loose but it's also not too tight like some other cases (i.e. Poetic cases). The camera hole is large and all the buttons feel natural when pressed. I'm not a big fan of the large cutout on the bottom (my other case from TechArmor, which is very similar to this one, has separate cutouts which is nice), but at least you won't have to worry about your connectors not fitting. There is enough lip on the front of the case so the screen doesn't touch the surface when faced down. The case itself is made of TPU which is sort of a hard but flexible plastic. What I really like is that there's no obtrusive branding on it like many other cases.

I already have a screen protector on my phone so I did not install the included one. From the looks of it, It does seem to be anti-glare and lines up with the phone. From a subjective standpoint, the smoke goes really well with the white iPhone 5. Overall, another great, quality product by Amazon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price but fit is a little loose., October 8, 2012
T. Tom (SF Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for a while, May 11, 2014
i really liked this product. It fits perfectly, it was transparent (smoke) color, it added very little additional bulk to my iPhone 5, and it protected the phone from damage. The only problem is that the case started to discolor–brown in my case. I otherwise enjoyed the case until that time. The seller provided prompt, quality service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine with iPod Touch 5th Generation, December 29, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I upgraded my old iPod Touch to the new 5th generation and wanted to get a minimalist case for it to protect the back and the screen. At this early stage in the game (mid-December 2012), there isn't an abundance of cases for the new iTouch on the market, and those that are seem too splashy with huge rims around the device or loud colors. I just wanted something simple, so I started thinking about getting an iPhone case but didn't want to jump into a high-end purchase not knowing how it would fit. The opportunity to review this came along at an opportune time, and I am pretty pleased with the results.

This unit holds my Touch with a minimum of extra space around it (with the smoke color it actually looks like a perfect fit when peeking in from the side) and the player feels more than secure. It is never going to inadvertently work its way out of this case.

As one might imagine, the precut holes for using the iPhone features do not exactly marry up, but they do not inhibit the use of the iTouch. You still have easy access to the charging plug and the headphone jack, and the speakers are not covered up with material. The performance of the camera and flash are not obstructed in anyway - I took test pictures to verify. The only issue is with the volume buttons as the down volume button is actually where the up arrow button is pressed into the plastic of the case and the up volume button marries up with a precut hole for the iPhone. Both buttons are easily pressed as soon as you realize this. In fact, it might be easier as I know if I can feel the actual button, it is up and if I feel the case, it is down.

The only reason I am ducking this case a star is because of the screen protector - and this has nothing to do with the iPod. This protector is just not as cooperative when applying or in use as others I have used, and I ended up throwing it away and will purchase a pack of protectors independently. The sheet, however, did fit the Touch fine.

Until some more conservative iTouch 5G cases hit the market (if they do), this makes a very good alternative to the teen-centric early offerings.

Updated to add (1/8/2013): I briefly thought that this case was interfering with the flash on my iPod but have since discovered that I can end up with a flash hotspot when I hold the iPod at a sharp angle whether it is cased or not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, December 3, 2012
This case is the probably the worst AmazonBasics branded case out there. I had the Iphone 4S case and it was a lot better.

This case is exactly the same as the mini suit case which I bought for $4 or $5 !! The volume buttons are tight and so is the power button.

I now have the Switcheasy Tones case, its awesome, its slim and solid. Its worth the extra bucks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great case...except....., November 26, 2012
This is a very nice, minimalist case that doesn't add a lot of bulk to your iPhone 5. It would be perfect in my eyes if not for a few flaws. The first, though the case fits perfectly, the finish is not perfect. The edges of the case have a sharp line, like where the top half of the mold meets the bottom half of the mold, that is quite noticeable and irritating. The second imperfection is the molded buttons. They are too flat and are tough to locate by touch/feel alone. I wish the protruded more like some cases' molded buttons do. Despite these shortcomings, I do still use this case. However, I am still looking for a minimalist TPU case that avoids these problems. I will say this....you can't beat the price!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Case, Difficult to Use, October 6, 2012
I don't think this is a very good case for the iPhone 5. My main problem is that the lock/power button is very hard to depress. I'm a strong male and sometimes have trouble depressing it. I think it was a poor choice for Amazon to cover this button with plastic. Also, unless you have somewhat long nails, it is a bit difficult to hit the vibrate switch on the left of the phone -- the case doesn't quite give me enough room to get in there and flick the switch. On top of this, I think it is also a bit tricky to use the volume up and down buttons.

In terms of protection from drops, this case seems quite adequate. It is also has a low profile and is very light, both of which are nice. I am usually a big fan of the Amazon basics line of products, but I think Amazon missed the bar on this one for the reasons I described in my first paragraph. I bought the case as a temporary solution, for which it is adequate. But I will definitely be replacing it with a better case. Hopefully Amazon improves this product in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic Protection, Fits well, October 6, 2012
Using this case as an interim solution until I find something more stylish. It's very basic but does protect the phone well enough. It's tough flexible plastic, gives a good grip, there's no branding on the case, and isn't horrible looking. It is not worth $15 though. I paid $10, so minus some stars for the price hike. It's simply tough to recommend at that price. Even $10 is high for something so simple.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Disappointed, November 19, 2012
I purchased Amazon's basic clear case for my white iPhone 5 because I was happy with Amazon's basic iPhone 4/4s case. Unfortunately, the iPhone 5 case is a big disappointment.

Pros:
-Looks good (no brand logo)
-Fits iPhone 5 securely

Cons:
-Sleep/wake up button is covered by hard plastic which makes it extremely difficult to use the button
-Volume up/down button is covered by hard plastic which makes it extremely difficult to use the button
-Extremely difficult to access ring/silent toggle because thick, hard plastic

I am a frequently satisfied Amazon Basic purchasers, but I cannot recommend this product. If you are looking for a similar style case for your iPhone 5, I recommend Diztronic High Gloss Clear (Frosted Matte Inside) Flexible TPU Case for Apple iPhone 5 - 2012 Model (Verizon / Sprint / AT&T / All Carriers) [Diztronic Retail Packaging].

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 9, 2014