4.0 out of 5 stars No frills backpack with great usability
Customer Video Review     Length:: 5:53 Mins
The AmazonBasics sling backpack for DSLR cameras is a no frills solution for taking a reasonable amount of photo gear with you when you don't want or need to lug your larger case with you. It's a great solution when you are hiking, skiing or just want a more compact way to take your essential camera gear with you.

The backpack is...
Published on March 24, 2012 by M. Erb

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Zipper, Under-padded Strap

Published 16 months ago by Bill

4.0 out of 5 stars No frills backpack with great usability, March 24, 2012
Length:: 5:53 Mins

The backpack is entirely black, no color accents or embellishment whatsoever. The backpack has a functional shoulder sling that allows you to pivot the pack to the front of your body for easy access to your camera gear when you need it. It's a fairly comfortable, sling backpack with adequate shoulder strap padding and an additional lower waist strap. There is a smaller zippered upper compartment with enough room for a good sized flash and room to spare for batteries, lens cleaning tools or maybe a PB&J for an extended hike. The main zippered compartment can be configured to your needs using a series of velcro pads of various sizes. There is also a velcro strap that can be used in whatever way you can figure out how to use it. Depending on the lenses you wish to carry and whether you want to carry the camera body with no lens attached, you can move the pads around to accommodate your needs.

I was easily able to fit my Nikon D300 with attached 80-200 f2.8 lens and flash in the main compartment, with a second 17-55 f2.8 lens in the smaller top compartment along with some other odds and ends.

The bottom of the pack has two rubber "feet" which protect the bottom nylon panel from wear and tear. However, the case is really designed as a backpack and will not reliably stand on its own when fully loaded. It's not intended to be a supportive pack that can sit upright on a floor.

Overall the pack seems reasonably well made and does provide a great way to carry a camera body, couple lenses, flash and assorted odds and ends with ease. I love it for when I'm hiking and don't want to carry a conventional camera bag with me. It's easy to swing the pack around to gain access to your camera when you need it. I do like I can carry a compact tripod or monopod on the outside of the backpack and the "hidden" pouch that tucks away to hold the tripod/monopod leg is a nice feature. The zippers seem beefy enough to withstand some good use and the quick release buckles on the straps function well.

I like the backpack and the price is just about right for what you are getting in my opinion.

UPDATE: 1/10/2013 - If you're thinking this might be a bit too large for you, take a look at the recently released AmazonBasics Sling Backpack for SLR Cameras (Black)which I've reviewed here http://www.amazon.com/review/R3NGA4F96W7XXV

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality, ideal for DSLR, 200mm, extra lens and flash., April 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Update: 12/2/2012 - I'm still pleased with this bag. I had to go on a hike today and pack the following:
Canon 5D Mk III, 580EXII, 8-15mm lens, diffuser, speedlingt off-camera coiled cable, batteries, etc. It fit perfectly. Look at the photos.

Original review: I have a lot of camera bags. I have tried several different sling bags. The Manfrotto was terrible. The Case Logic was great. Now it's time to try out Amazon's version of the sling bag. I'll compare it with the Case Logic TBC-310 SLR Sling for Camera (Black) - the bags are the same price, and basically the same size. If you're looking for a perfect sized sling bag, these are the two you'll probably be comparing.

Size: The Amazon Sling bag is about 15% larger and more rectangular in shape.

Shoulder strap: The Case Logic slides from the right, the Amazon from the left. This means the straps are over different shoulders. The Amazon has an extra clip that prevents the bag from shifting, but has to be unclipped before you can slide the sling.

Top pocket: Case Logic is deeper, but smaller. 3x6x5 deep - basically the shape of a medium lens. Amazon is shallower, but larger: 6x7 inches. Depth - it's angled. 2" at one end, 4 at the other. The Case Logic top pocket is ideal for a lens, the Amazon for a flash or accessories.

Main compartment: This is the major difference. The Case Logic can hold a DSLR with medium lens, say a 17-85 telephoto. It can't be adjusted. The Amazon compartment is totally configurable. Depending on how you configure it, you could have a DSLR with 200mm, flash and smaller lens. Or DSLR with 17-85, medium lens, large flash and accessories. The inner compartment is 9x11x7" deep. You get five different dividers, of various sizes. It comes with the dividers just put in at what seems to be a purposely useless configuration. There are also NO instructions, so you need to play around with varying configurations. On the Case Logic, the top flap opens up to reveal the main compartment. On the Amazon bag, the flap as larger - but it will also open past the top and down the back. This way if you have created shelves with the dividers, you can access them without pulling things apart. There are snaps to prevent the flap from being opened too far, letting your expensive stuff from falling out. That is a feature I have not seen on any other sling bag.

Tripod holder: Case Logic: Two velcro side straps, you need to figure out a way to stop the tripod from sliding. Amazon: One cinch strap and a pocket for the bottom (this tucks away and is impossible to see at first.)

Other pockets: The Case Logic wins here. The back back has several small pockets. These could hold accessories, cards, batteries and more. The Amazon just has an elastic mesh pocket. Not much use for anything.

Base: Neither bag will stand up on it's own. The Amazon has two rubber "bumpers".

Overall quality. It's difficult to say one is better than the other. The Amazon carrying handle is nicer, but the Case Logic material is *slightly* better The Amazon bags liner is not completely sewn in - it looks like about 2" was missed in production - this is at the corners of the large flap. That's pretty sloppy, and a place that will tear easily. The Amazon bag has a much better way of handling the tripod. The padding on the Case Logic shoulder strap is a little thicker, and it has an extra accessory loop. The differences really are minor.

Which bag is better for you? If you're using a DSLR with a smaller lens, the Case Logic is perfect. Need to use a larger lens, or carry more stuff? The Amazon bag is the better choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Bag, but I'm Not Convinced It's a Good Deal., February 24, 2012
This review is from: AmazonBasics Sling Backpack for SLR Cameras (Electronics)
Pros
Build quality on this bag seems good.
Zippers work smoothly.
Sling is comfortable and has adequate adjustability.
The bright interior color makes it easy to find small items.
Nice pocket areas.
Tripod strap with pouch at bottom in a zippered area
for one of the tripod legs.
Easy access to camera without removing sling. Pack will pivot to front.
Fair Price

Cons
The way it comes (see photo) there is no way of fitting my DSLR.
The dividers could offer some better options. Need a few others with more than one 90deg.
It will be a tight fit to get all of my needed equipment in this size. Wish it was a little larger
It will not stand vertical on its own without leaning it against something.

Update Feb 27, 2012

I've had a chance to use this sling backpack for some all day events. I like it. It works once I figured out how to place the sling. It fits around the left arm and over the head to the right shoulder. This allows the bag to be pivoted to your left front to allow access to the camera through the backpack's side compartment. This work well.

I also found that the the tripod strap on the side of the backpack also has a zip area at the bottom of the pack. It contains a pouch for the tripod leg to fit into. This stabilizes the tripod and holds it firmly to the side.

I'm leaving the 4 star. The main reason, the bag just fits the Canon 60D with the Canon 18-200mm F/3.5 lens. I would have liked just a tad bit more room. Also, the bag will not stand vertical on its own without leaning against something. The lower pads on the bottom are not flat enough to hold it.

Overall, I find it works for me, and it is very comfortable to wear even all day activities. I would recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Zipper, Under-padded Strap, September 4, 2013
This review is from: AmazonBasics Sling Backpack for SLR Cameras (Electronics)
Pros:

Size-wise, this is the perfect bag. I wanted something as small as possible but still able to hold my DSLR and a few lenses for all-day hikes and vacation sight-seeing. I have a full-size Lowepro backpack that holds everything I own. It's built like a tank, but it's up around 40lbs now and it's just too heavy for actual hiking. Most of the sling bags available are too big for an all day hike and they look like hipster diaper bags. This bag is perfect in it's discrete look (doesn't scream "come steal my gear") and it's ease of carry. I can fit my Canon EOS 650 with 50mm attached, an 18-135mm, a 24mm fisheye, a 100mm macro, cleaning gear, batteries, filters, fast strap, and assorted odds and ends.

Cons:

The zipper on the main compartment is the big problem. It's low quality with very fine teeth and it will pull apart / separate / misfeed. Obviously, you don't want this happening when you have several thousands of dollars of gear in there. Amazon really needs to spend a few extra dollars and put a nice beefy zipper on this. I don't see a lot of other reviewers complaining about the zipper and because I haven't abused my bag, or overstuffed it to the point of asking too much from the zipper, I have to think they just aren't using their bags often or for any length of time. It appears to be a design flaw, and not a matter of quality control. I don't think I just got one with a bad zipper - the chosen zipper is just not a good one. The strap is under-padded. Not a big deal until you really pack the thing full. Get some heavy glass in there and you'll start to feel it after a few hours. The little memory card holder pockets in the main compartment lid are useless. The secondary strap that secures the bag across your chest is too narrow and can become uncomfortable. Tripod harness is kinda useless too. I've been using it to hold a rolled up jacket or poncho, and the zippered pocket that hides the bottom cup for spare battery storage.

If Amazon fixed these issues (and even if they needed to up the price $10 to do it), I would give it five stars. Even at $40 it would be an unbeatable deal. I would have given it four stars until the zipper problem developed after a few months of use. With the zipper situation, I've lost confidence in it, and can't get in and out quickly. I feel I have to take great care each time I close the main compartment and triple check that the zipper worked. My plan is to keep looking for a similarly sized bag, probably a more pricey brand name, to replace this one. Unless you're on an extremely tight budget, my advice would be to spend more money and get something better quality. Pay attention to zippers and strap padding and don't get tunnel vision on the inside compartment arrangement. If you do take a chance on this, I would scotchguard it, as it has no rain cover and it will absorb water and get soggy if you get caught in a downpour.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME Bag!, March 8, 2012
This review is from: AmazonBasics Sling Backpack for SLR Cameras (Electronics)
I was looking for a sling bag, something simple. When I came across the AmazonBasics sling bag I had my doubts especially since there was (at the time of this review) only 2 feedback. With fingers crossed I placed my order and waited for the bag to arrive.

Let me preface this by letting you know I am by no means a professional photographer. I've owned my share of cameras but the camera I have now is my first DSLR (Nikon D3100). This bag is not meant to carry ALL your gear. This is something you would take with you on the fly. Lets get on with the review!

Quality:
Perfect! The stitching is great the zippers work flawlessly. The way the bag was designed was clearly thought out. When I'm wearing the bag I can rotate it forward and get to my cam without ever taking the bag off my shoulder. A+

Price:
You cannot beat the bargain for this sling bag compared to what is currently available. A+

Ergonomics/Comfort:
This is a great fitting bag. I stand 5'9, 170lbs and this bag feels great. After adjusting the straps I wore it for a good 1-2 hours while I was snapping pics. I didn't experience any fatigue. A+

Cons:
Right not the only thing that I can think of that would be negative is that this bag is designed only for your left shoulder. It is not ambidextrous.

The main strap goes over your left shoulder while a smaller, secure strap from the rear of the bag, slides under your right arm pit and snaps back into the bag. I posted pics so you can see exactly what I mean. Also I include a pic with the bag when it's rotated to the front of my body for easy access. I'm not going into anymore detail since it was already included. Feel free to ask questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Bag for price, June 9, 2012
This review is from: AmazonBasics Sling Backpack for SLR Cameras (Electronics)
This is one great bag for the aspiring photographer. Has plenty of room for my Nikon D5000 with 55-200mm lens and battery grip, 14-24mm Nikon lens, 18-55mm Nikon lens, 3 batteries, a point and shoot camera, ipod, cords, plugs, releases, a flip camcorder and extras. The only things I would like to see added are 1. a bladder pocket for water. Also on the opposite side of the main opening another pocket for some extra gear or snacks moving the tripod holder to the back of the bag. Over all the quality of the bag is way above price range stitching is excellent and there are no extra threads or threads that are sticking out. Buckles are nice big heavy duty. The bag offers plenty of padding for travel. It also has a hidden pocket on the side for holding a tripod leg. This is a great bag for you to keep all your photo gear in one spot. If you need a slightly bigger bag to pack your camera gear and are on a budget this is the bag for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Inexpensive Sling, April 10, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a DSLR and was pleased to find this as an alternative to the large camera backpack "everything holder" I usually bring to family gatherings and on campouts. It is fairly roomy with plenty of room for a Canon T2i with attached 24-70 f2.8 zoom lens which is my walking around lens. There is space also for a smaller point-and-shoot camera along with a case for additional SD cards, a flash, etc.

The styling of the bag is utilitarian with the top rather flat and not tapered like other slings I have seen advertised. It seems solidly made and includes straps for securing it around oneself - a bit confusing at first since there are no instructions but fairly easy to figure out.

Overall, I am pleased with this unit and would recommend it at the price point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sling bag for day use, March 21, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For a long time I had been looking for a good camera bag for day use. My brother has a Tanba backpack but it's too big and heavy for me (well, that backpack has room in the top section to pack in some food, drink, a book and extra something) and would wear me down quickly. On the other hand, I was considering a fanny pack but it's tight fit for a DSLR and a lens, with no spare room for a flash or an extra lens. Then came the AmazonBasics Sling Backpack.

The Sling Backpack is just perfect for a day trip. It seems like a balanced mix between a backpack and a fanny pack. It has enough room for a DSLR, 1-2 lenses and a flash, plus some filters and accessories. The main compartment features adjustable cushioning dividers to customize your own layout. There is another compartment on the top or left of the main compartment for your extra stuff like lens brush/blower and some snacks. A full-sized DSLR with a mid-zoom would fit but it's a tight fit, and you can leave your telezoom lens behind (you WILL need a big backpack for it anyway).

The first time I took the bag out of the packaging box, I had a challenging time trying to figure out how to wear it. Mine doesn't come with any instruction sheet. The wider strap has to go over your left shoulder and the narrower strap from the rear goes under your right arm. You can't swap it over to your right shoulder when your left shoulder gets tired.

This sling bag is perfect for a day trip when you don't need to carry ALL your gears with you. I can wear it comfortably for half a day without having it to wear me down like a big bag would. The material looks heavy duty and the workmanship looks on-par but only time will tell.

Pros:
- perfect size for a day trip when you need to bring a DSLR, a lens, flash and small accessories
- light weight
- customizable dividers in main compartment
- separate small compartment to carry extra stuff
- well balanced like a backpack on your body

Cons:
- can only wear it over left shoulder
- main compartment can open widely, risking contents to fall out

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a very good bag, at all. Would NOT recommend., January 5, 2014
This review is from: AmazonBasics Sling Backpack for SLR Cameras (Electronics)
I'll start with the good stuff: small, lightweight, and holds a decent amount of gear. I've packed away: D7100, Tamron 17-50, Tokina 100mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8 and a 80-200 2.8 af-d. Up top, I carry a couple of 72mm filters (ND + CP). I can attach my Benro Travel Angel to the included tripod mounting area. I'll update the review after using it for the next month while in South America.

The nylon strap should run the whole length of the strap. It stops halfway up and I can see the strap tearing where it connects to the bag at the top. Should be reinforced.

The stitching looks a bit dodgy.

And I already superglued in some velcro in the top area for the little elastic flap. That thing is pointless to hold anything. Amazon should make the whole bag 1" taller, add a zipper that runs all the way around on the inside, and allows the whole inside to be a 2" tall pocket made out of that same type of netting type material. Large enough to store some batteries, or memory cards (well, really specifically both of those. The included memory card "holders" on the inside flap of the bag are absolutely horrible. I wouldn't trust putting cards in there for any reason.

I wish there was a piece of divider-velcro-stuff that was able to split the bag in half, lengthwise. I've got a few different pieces fashioned together, but one piece down the middle, and four extras would allow me to carry the body + 80-200 attached, with the 3 other lenses in their own little protective area. For the price - it's pretty damn good. It could be perfect with about a $10 increase in price!

(Or add a non-basic version with rain cover, more structurally placed nylon strapping, a little more room up top, and a couple more small pockets and sell it for $50. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, Amazon.)

//EDIT. 1/26/14

So here I am, 2/3rds of the way through my trip and the bag is falling apart. The zippers have come apart, the strap is ripping and the seams are falling apart. This is the prime example of what is wrong with buying cheap s*** from China. I wouldn't recommend this bag to anyone carrying more than 2kg worth of equipment. Take your $25 and put it towards a Crumpler or Lowepro bag, not this trash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag! Great Price!, November 10, 2012
This review is from: AmazonBasics Sling Backpack for SLR Cameras (Electronics)
After reading the reviews on this product, I decided to give it a try. Before checking out, I saw a few listed as used and looked at the prices. I bought this one as "Used-Like New" at a price of $18.53. It did have a slight defect, the one mentioned in few other reviews, that is the limiting strap that keeps the main compartment from being fully unzipped, when those straps are clipped in place. Since it was the defective upper strap, it doesn't matter to me. I don't think I would have used it anyway. At the price I got it for, I'm assuming it was probably a return that came back for this defect. I am very satisfied with what I received for the price I paid.

The reason I bought this backpack was to store all of the accessory items I have for my Sony DSC-R1 camera. The Sony R1's accessories are a bit large and somewhat weighty. I have no intention of storing my camera in this backpack as I use a Sony holster style camera case, designed for the R1, on my belt. That way I can access my camera very quickly. When I need any additional items for it, they're now right behind me, well padded and secure. I'm not sure how often I will use the 'Sling Around' feature, but it's an option if I need to try it. When fully loaded, this backpack seems to be much more comfortable than the double strap (WalMart) backpack I had been using. And it's easier to get it on and off.

Regarding the lack of instructions, the easiest way to get this pack on and off is to leave the small strap attached to the main one and unhook the large clip at the bottom of the backpack. Slip your right arm through the hole formed by the two straps, the large and small one, then pull the large strap to your lower left side and clip it to the bottom side of the bag. Adjust both straps until comfortable.

In this backpack I am able to fit the following;

VCL-DEH08R Wide angle lens
2 Sony NP FM50 batteries
8 AA NIMH batteries
1 Short center column tube for my tripod
1 large lens cleaning cloth that doubles as a grey card

All the items fit securely inside and there is some space left, that can be used for a few more small items. I have found that the backpack will stand upright, on it's own, quite well, sitting evenly on the bottom feet, contrary to some of the other reviews. I think this has to do with where and how the heaviest items are placed. My large lenses are near the bottom and that makes for a low center of gravity. Loaded this way, the backpack requires a fair amount of force to knock it over. You need to make the compartments at the bottom evenly uniform to get the case to stand well, if there is a void near the corners, the bottom will be rounded and the pack will easily roll over. Also, I have found the internal dividers to be quite configurable and they stay in place very well once arranged.

This backpacks' tripod carrying feature didn't work well for me, although it might be okay with my monopod. I tried my Dolica AX620B100 on it and it wasn't stable, a little movement on my part, would dislodge it from the fabric cup, leaving it hanging by the top strap only and banging into my back. The tripod was also unprotected and could be easily scuffed up or damaged. I then tried to use my tripod case, with its sling attached to the upper tripod support strap, as an alternative way to carry my tripod. Either of these arrangements caused the bag to tilt to the right, almost twisting the pack sideways. The best way I found to carry my tripod is to place my tripod case sling through the backpacks' main strap, and let it hang to my lower left side. The bottom of my tripod case rides just above my left knee, the top opening is above waist level, easily at hand, and the extra weight towards the bottom left side, makes the backpack hang more evenly. The now, unused, upper tripod strap leaves me with one more place to hang a small extra carry bag, for some snacks or whatever.

I am very impressed with this backpack as it allows me to carry all that I will need for any photographic situation, macro to telephoto. For $30, you'll be hard pressed to find better. At the price I paid, it can't be beat!