1,042 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
This is a well made, sturdy, albeit somewhat thick cable.

I bought it so that I could extend both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 cables. I.E., you can plug this cable into a USB 2.0 port on a computer and attach a USB 2.0 device or cable to the other end and it will work fine.

Published 13 months ago by Sam

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not Charge, Not Recognized
I ordered two of these, and both were defective. When I plugged these into my power adapter, and then connected the USB to micro USB cable, then plugged the whole thing into my phone, headphones, or any other device, it was not recognized.

Published 3 months ago by Paperdiesel

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0, January 23, 2014
This is a well made, sturdy, albeit somewhat thick cable.

To be clear: you can attach a USB 2.0 phone cable to this extension cord, plug it into a USB 2.0 port on your PC and you will be able to both charge your phone and transfer data to and from it (at USB 2.0 speeds).

You can, of course, also plug this cable into a USB 3.0 port on a computer and plug a USB 3.0 device or cable into the other end and it will work fine.

Posting this info since some other reviewers were questioning this. The USB 3.0 standard is designed to be backwards compatible with USB 2.0 (and even USB 1.1).

The USB 3.0 connector is designed so that the extra pins needed for USB 3.0 are recessed, and they won't be used if the cable is plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

USB 3.0 is a superset of USB 2.0, so why not purchase an extension cable that will serve both types of devices and ports?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Very Happy with Purchase, January 7, 2013
This review is from: AmazonBasics USB 3.0 Extension Cable - A-Male to A-Female - 9.8 Feet (3.0 Meters) (Personal Computers)
I purchased this for an external USB 3 JBOD enclosure I will need for my PC.

At the moment, I haven't received the JBOD enclosure, but I tested this cable with an Intel X25-V 40GB SSD in a MSI Coolmax HD-250TN-U3 USB 3 enclosure using a PCIe x1 Renesas 2-Port (EVGA EU30) card and saw HD Tune 2.55 return the following stats for a 4MB Block Size:
Transfer Rate:
Min: 134.6 MB/sec
Max: 149.2 MB/sec
Average 144.5 MB/sec
Access Time: 0.1 ms
Burst Rate: 73.6 MB/sec

This was with the SSD having 12.2 GB free of 37.2 GB.

When the SSD/enclosure was attached directly to the EU30 without using the extension cable, I saw the following results:
Transfer Rate:
Min: 138.0 MB/sec
Max: 149.4 MB/sec
Average 144.2 MB/sec
Access Time: 0.1 ms
Burst Rate: 74.5 MB/sec

My conclusion: No real speed loss when using the extension cable.

Other observations: The cable is nice and thick; the male/female ends feel strong and unlikely to break even with thousands of insertions/removal

UPDATE: When I used the extension cable with the NST-640SU3-BK enclosure, the disks would appear and disappear in Windows. Removing the cable fixed the issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixes finicky 3.0 cable on WD Passport, December 24, 2013
Everyone needs an extension cable, and my favs of any kind, are Amazon Basics; been getting them for several years, and EVERY one of my Windows desktops, has ALL its ports plugged into these babies. For I do not want to go under the desk and futz with the back of the towers. My only complaint about these cables, is that they're black. They work GREAT. Ergo, I have over two dozen of them.

So when the opportunity arose to get a 3.0 cable, and Amazon Basics carried it, wow. Very happy camper. Especially, because as many know, the WD Passport drives have finicky cables that Windows 7 and XP, sometimes refuse to recognize. Had that very problem, this morning. Unhooked the replacement cable I had been using, and instead hooked in this baby and then reattached the original WD Passport (stinky, scorpion-like) cable, and BINGO! Windows 7 recognized it!

Thank you, Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars heavy duty, September 13, 2013
this is the stoutest, heaviest duty USB cable I've ever seen. It's a hefty cable, it's about 7/32 inch thick

5.0 out of 5 stars Great extension cord, does what it says, January 21, 2014
I recently bought a USB 3.0 Hub http://www.amazon.com/HT-UH008-Bus-Powered-Detachable-Charging-Strip-Shaped/dp/B00ECTYKWO/ref=cm_cr-mr-title which had a very short USB 3.0 cord. I added this extension cord to my hub, and everything worked as if my hub were directly connected to my desktop. The build quality of the cord is thick, and so far doesn't have any issues. Overall, I would buy this cord again if I needed another one.

Pros:
+ Doesn't interfere with being connected to my USB hub.
+ Thick cord, not flimsy.

Cons:
- None, does everything I need it to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Cable, January 26, 2013
This cable is pretty decent. Hooked up external hard drive (USB 3.0) to it and got 80 MB/s transfer rate from usb drive to internal SSD. Same transfer over USB 2.0 and got 35 MB/s transfer rate.

Bytecc USB PCI BT-PEU310
Patriot Gauntlet 2 USB 3.0 Enclosure
WD 320 GB 7200RPM

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not Charge, Not Recognized, December 1, 2014

I tried multiple power adapters and multiple devices, and it didn't work with any combination. I verified that the USB to micro USB cable worked fine, because I could plug it into the power adapter directly, and all of my devices recognized it fine. When I plugged in this extension cable, nothing worked.

Not sure what the odds were that I got two defective cables at once, but I sent them both back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you'd expect, November 28, 2012
Jeremy Fry (Canton, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Nothing really special here. The cord feels like a good weight and is the length listed. Works great and seems like it will hold up well.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING, July 30, 2014
TampaGhost (Tampa, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I hate to give one-stars, but I have to warn you all - maybe I got a bad unit, but I used this extender between my machine and a USB 3 hub, and I was getting data corruption. When I would copy files with just basic Windows Explorer copy and paste, I got no errors during the process, but upon playback, the videos would be corrupted (I was using this to copy large video files).

On a hunch, I got a free utility called TeraCopy that has an option to run a CRC check on the source and destination to ensure a perfect copy, and saw failures over and over again. When I plugged the hub directly into the PC instead of through this cable, the problems went away. When I put this cable in the middle, they reappeared.

What this means is that if you are moving files over this cable, **you can irrevocably lose them to corruption.**

Like I said, it may just be a bad one-off, but I recommend using a utility like TeraCopy to make sure you aren't experiencing the same thing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Basics Cable not up to par., August 30, 2013
I was having a problem with synchronizing 2 usb 3.0 drives to where only 1 file would copy and then nothing else would happen. I had rebooted 4 times and it would still only copy one file. I replaced this cable with Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A Male to Female Extension Cable in Blue 10 Feet and the problem has been corrected.