Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on October 26, 2014
We purchased several of these cables for charging devices. All had the same issue: spring-loaded latches on the B end (where your cell phone plugs into) get stuck down or are otherwise non-functional, which lead to a loose connection.
review image
77 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A Male to Micro USB B Male Cable is the one that you need to connect the Kindle Fire to a computer, so that files can be transferred between the two. The Micro USB plug will fit only one way, so be careful when you plug it into the Fire. This cable is 6 ft. long and is very well-made. The $6 price is very reasonable.

Once you connect it to a PC or Mac, the Kindle Fire's screen will show a picture of a USB cable with a black background and the message: You can now transfer files from your computer to Kindle.

You can also buy a very inexpensive accessory made by Amazon under the same label AmazonBasics (AmazonBasics Wall Charger with USB Outlet( 2.1 Amp Output)) that, when combined with this cable, can charge the Kindle Fire (The Fire already comes with a charger in the box, so if you get this one, it would be a spare, or one for the office, for example). It's a small, high current (2.1 A) USB charger that has foldable plug prong so it can be conveniently stored when not in use. You cannot charge the Kindle Fire using a regular charger or the USB port on a computer because they do not output enough current to charge it (in a reasonable amount of time). It's less than $10 and very versatile and convenient. You can also use it to charge an iPad or any USB device.
1515 comments|291 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2012
I bought two of these cables last fall so I could have charging cables spread throughout the house. One quit working within 6 weeks and the second has become more and more finicky with its positioning. I can't rely on it to charge the phone unless its in the perfect position and stays that way. I'm very disappointed because they look like such durable cables and I like the frustration free packaging they come in.
55 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2013
I needed a new USB cable after my cat decided to chew on my old one. I have had good luck with other Amazon cables in the past and they are moderately cheaper than the ones I can find in the stores around where I live. The cable is working perfectly fine. I haven't used it to transfer data, so I can't speak to that aspect of it.

The reason I've given it 4 stars is because the plastic around the ends is larger than other USB cables I've had. Luckily I can still change my phone with the case on, but if the hole in the case was any smaller, the plastic would keep the cable from plugging in all the way with the case on. I've uploaded a picture comparing the Amazon cable to an old cable I have to show how big the difference is.

Edit: Apparently Amazon has decided to do away with customer uploaded images. I am going to try and find a workaround and will post the comparison image once I do.
VINE VOICEon November 17, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's not a heavy-duty "monster" brand style cable, but this USB micro cable works just as well. I found it interesting that Amazon actually has their own "branded" cable, but really who cares what label is on your cable as long as it works? You seriously cannot go wrong for the price of this. it seems well-made, not as flimsy as some cables I've gotten that degrade around the ends after use. The connections seem strong and durable. Overall I would have to say it works and it's inexpensive, I'll be buying more of these at this price.

oh, one more thing. Be sure you understand the difference between "micro" and "mini" USB. a lot of cameras and portable hard drives use the MiniUSB, not the micro. so be sure you are getting the correct cable for your needs. And in case you're wondering, this MicroUSB works great with the Motorola Droid phone!
11 comment|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2013
Bought this to charge Nexus 7 (first gen). Charged slower then the stock cable. Length of the cable will impact the charge rate but I also noticed (on cable itself) that this cable is 28/28 AWG vs. Nexus 28/24 AWG. The lower the AWG the thicker the wire and better it will conduct/faster to charge. The first number represents the data wire gauge and second is the power. So the stock Nexus cable has thicker gauge but ironically is thinner. Seems like the cost was spent on adding plastic around the wire to make it appear thicker than actual increasing the wire gauge.

For data transfers there should be no difference but would not recommend if intended use for this cable is charging your device.
on February 7, 2012
i bought this about 4 months ago, and it just recently stopped working. no obvious reason why it stopped working, it just one day stopped working.
55 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2011
A cable is a cable is a cable, right?

That's what I thought until I purchased a few of these cables to charge my Droid X. They worked fine for a few months, but then all of a sudden my phone would only charge with these cables if the body of the cable was angled a certain way. I thought the micro-USB port on my phone was going bad, but every non-Amazon micro-USB cable I tried charged my phone regardless of the position of the cable, so the cable was obviously the problem.

I finally got frustrated enough with these that I purchased the Mediabridge - USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro-B Cable - (6 Feet) a few days ago and so far it has worked like a charm. It's cheaper than this Amazon cable and as of the writing of this review has had nothing but positive reviews. I'd recommend going with the Mediabridge cable and staying away from this Amazon cable.
2121 comments|165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2015
I use this for my kindle fire hd (first gen). It charges slowly even with the Amazon accelerated charger, but it does the job. I find that these are very fragile. I can honestly say I have purchased 5 or 6 so far, and am on here right now about to order another because the micro B is very bendable. I do not like the money I have dished out on these and I think they're poor quality. However, free fast shipping keeps me coming back. I wish there was a better way. I added a picture of what has happened to every one of these cords.
on May 3, 2013
I bought this 6 foot cable specifically to power my Revision B Raspberry Pi, along with an "Amazon Basics Wall Charger with USB Outlet (2.1 Amp Output)" supply. But the voltage measured on the GertBoard extension board I have (same as the voltage across TP1 and TP2 on the Pi) reads only 4.55V using this cable. Even though this is a nice cable using gold plated contacts, it has stamped right on it "<28 AWG/1P AND 28AWG/2C>. This indicates that ALL the wires within the cable, both for power and data, are 28AWG wires.

Some USB cables, including the 3 foot cable that ships with the CanaKit version of the Pi, which sells here on Amazon, have the following marking : "28AWG/1P + 24AWG/2C". These cables use 24AWG wires to carry the power in the cable. This heavier gauge wire is one reason why the Pi will get the full 5V through such a cable, as there is less 'line loss' than when a smaller gauge wire is used.

I wanted a 6 foot cable because of the distance from where I use the Pi to where I want to keep the outlet strip supplying its power. Since I wanted to allow my Pi to have as close to 5V as possible using a standard 5V wall charger such as the one I mentioned above, I had to hack one of my USB A to micro B cables and replace 6 feet of its core cable with 18 AWG red/black "zip cord", using only about 3" of existing cable on the connector for each end. The hacked cable was a cheap Chinese one, which has wire at the most 28 AWG and it might even be finer than that (it is unmarked). But I am still able to maintain 4.88 - 4.92V on the Pi using this hacked cable.

So if you are looking to power a Raspberry Pi with this 6 foot Amazon Basics cable, as some other reviewers have mentioned doing, be aware that you may see a loss of half a volt on the Pi end. The Pi's input power specs are 4.75-5.25V, so losing half a volt puts it below specs and 'could' possibly be the cause of unstable operation. I have experienced this, which is what started my quest for a better cable. I was seeing a lot of "waiting for hardware interrupt" errors on boot up, and it would never finish the boot process. Getting the voltage back within specs seems to have solved the problem for me.