2,889 Reviews
 (1,501)

1,066 of 1,100 people found the following review helpful
=============================
Comment added on 31 October 2013-

AmazonBasics lists three different antennas under one sales entry point but there are major differences in antenna size and reception. Selecting the right antenna will make a difference in the broadcast [OTA] signals your television set receives. My advice is begin by using this site...
Published 13 months ago by Konrad

2.0 out of 5 stars Regular version is VHF ONLY, not UHF
The Regular Performance antenna is VHF ONLY which means that it does not receive UHF channels such as NBC, CBS or Fox.

Published 9 months ago by Russell Phillips

1,066 of 1,100 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reception with this antenna, next up I may complete cutting Cable television!, October 12, 2013
Konrad "Trudging On" (Carson Valley, Northern Nevada) - See all my reviews
=============================
Comment added on 31 October 2013-

[...] [antennaweb dot org]

and follow the steps using the ZIP code for your location, and then choose which of these three antennas might work best for your local area.

======================================
I considered the Mohu Leaf products but decided on this AmazonBasics model because prior buys of AmazonBasics cables has proved their worth as a product line to me, saving 15 dollars over a similar Leaf was a plus. I used a zip code based search service to see how many channels are available in my geographic area, 18 in total. With the AmazonBasics amped antenna 16 is exactly what I receive after removing some duplicate non-HD repeater signals and learning two listed stations are private and coded. Excellent reception as I'm approximately 10 to 30 miles away from the originating signals.

Unpacking was easy as was connecting the cable to my television set, selecting channel signal type to "Antenna", and running "Auto Program". Bingo!, bright and clear picture and sound on the first try placing the antenna on an inside wall about six feet up.

I choose the amplified antenna because of my location and signal reception concerns, in hindsight I might have been able to use the AmazonBasics standard non-amplified antenna, but I went for the possible boost in reception performance for my location and distance from signals.

Very satisfied with antenna and results.

Konrad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon's clone of the Mohu Leaf, November 26, 2013
This review is from: AmazonBasics Ultra-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - 25 Mile Range (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Review of the **Regular Performance** Model

Over a year ago I purchased a Mohu Leaf for a bedroom TV, the original version basic Leaf, good for a 35 mile radius under optimal conditions. I was able to pick up 39 channels with the Mohu.

This AmazonBasics antenna looks like a Mohu Leaf, but slightly smaller in size. I placed it in the same location as the Leaf, did a channel scan and came up with 37 channels. Two channels less than the Leaf, but they weren't channels I watched anyhow (local religious channels that operate on low power signals).

I was able to place a framed photograph on the wall OVER the antenna to help hide it, with no loss of signal. I've also experienced clouds, rain and snow flurries the past 2 days with no signal loss due to weather conditions.

I see no difference in color brightness or picture quality with this antenna over the Leaf....and no matter if you choose this AmazonBasics or the Mohu Leaf, they both look a heck of a lot better than ugly rabbit ears. If you don't want to spend twice as much for the Leaf, this is a GREAT alternative.

Of course, this is a "your mileage may vary" type of thing. So many things can affect your signal - not only the distance from your location to the towers, or hills or flat land, or building materials; lots of things determine what strength signal you will receive.

NOTE: Installed on a south-facing bedroom wall, one-story ranch with vinyl siding, not near a window, suburbs, flat ground; most of the towers I pick up are on the other side of the city, 20-25 miles to the northwest, with the exception of one channel where its tower is 8 miles to the northeast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for us, December 9, 2013
mareem (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
Could not be happier with the AmazonBasics HP flat antenna. This was just what I'd hoped for. After ditching Comcast cable 6 months ago and then last week no longer receiving even a handful of OTA, thanks to Comcast trying to strong-arm former customers by blocking the handful of local OTA channels. Btw, Comcast, hate you even more now; we are never, ever getting back together again. ;-)

So, I shopped around and decided on this AmazonBasics HP HDTV antenna, as well as one Mohu Leaf flat antenna (@ same price). We needed one for the downstairs den/media room tv and one for the upstairs master bedroom tv. I figured one of those two antennas not only do the trick but that one would be better. (Both were forehead slapping easy to install and set-up: plug 'n' play then run channel scan. Any issues, just shift the antenna a little this way or that until satisfied with the reception and picture on all the received channels. We pulled in @ 30 on both the AmazonBasics HP and the Mohu Leaf.)

When they first arrived, I hooked up the Mohu to the 4-year-old Sharp Aquos downstairs, since it's physically half the size of the AmazonBasics antenna and is more unobtrusive (it also has the shorter cable). I hooked up the AmazonBasics HP antenna to the small Samsung upstairs. After running the channel scan on each tv, to be honest, there was no difference whatsoever. Both pulled in the same number of channels, for us intownish big city single family home with lots of local stations, PBS and major cable network. We also have an ATV1 hooked up the lower TV and an ATV2 upstairs for streaming just about every channel we used to receive with cable, as well as some premium movie channels. What neither ATV did was stream local channels, which was why I got the AmazonBasics antenna and the Mohu. Now we're covered, receiving about 200+ channels between these indoor antennas and the ATV1 downstairs and the ATV2 upstairs. I cannot imagine being a cable customer again. Both these two flat indoor antennas paid for themselves in one month. Would buy either of them again in a heartbeat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful if you're in the right location - UPDATED 3/11/14 - (3) model choices reflect range options, November 30, 2013
Andrea Polk (Pacific Northwest - USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first thing that struck me about the AmazonBasics Ultra Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna was the size of it by comparison to the Mohu Leaf Ultimate Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna, as well as the Winegard FL5500A FlatWave Amplified Razor Thin HDTV Indoor Antenna, both of which I own and have reviewed. (See the Mohu Leaf Ultimate for a video review of the product and for placement tips of all of these types of antennas.) The AmazonBasics Ultra Thin is about 20% smaller and thus, a smaller area to receive signals, which isn't really a great thing when you're depending upon that area to 'catch' the over-air broadcasts.

I currently have to use an amplified version to catch signals due to where I live; rural setting, with towers approximately 50 miles away. If I was in a city, with towers within 20 miles, this antenna would undoubtedly do a better job than it does for me now. That goes for the Winegard and Mohu products as well. NOTE: You have to choose an antenna that has the range to get the signals!

Over air HD signals from all the major networks can be pulled in with the amplified antennas in my area, but not this one. I picked up about half the channels I could with the others, using the same placement.

NOTE:Placement and power of the antenna's draw (range) are key to success with ANY of the flat, thin antennas.

Finding out where your towers are (easy to do with an online search of 'over air antennas in my area') will help you figure out what kinds of antennas are recommended for your home, and how you should first attempt to angle the antenna for reception. **Do this BEFORE you buy one of these antennas to make sure it has the right range for your area.**

As for build quality, this antenna is on par with Mohu and Winegard. Made in USA and a great value for the price if it works at your location.

I do like to point out that the 15' cable (generous length) is permanently attached to the antenna, so if it breaks you'll have to buy another antenna. The Mohu has an antenna that screws into the antenna, making it a better deal in the long run, assuming it's not the antenna that dies on you!

Overall, I think this is a good option for someone in an urban area that's close to towers (15-20 miles), and already is able to get reception. You can hang them in a window or on the wall, and they are more attractively hidden than rabbit ears as they pick up HD channels.

If you live in a rural area with mountains between you and the towers, you'll probably want something amplified like the AmazonBasics Extreme Performance Ultra Thin Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna - Designed and Assembled in USA or the Mohu Leaf Ultimate Amplified.

REGARDING SIGNALS: You will only pick up signals as they are broadcast. For example, if something is sent over-air in 1080i and your TV can reproduce that HD signal, you'll see it. If it's only broadcast in 480p - that's the best resolution you'll get, even on a HDTV capable of 1080i over air broadcasts.

REGARDING WEATHER: Yes, weather does affect this antenna. If it's windy or storming, channels will go in and out. Satellite TV has this issue as well as do other over-air antennas.

UPDATE: 1/29/14

REGARDING REVIEWS THAT SAY "IT DOESN'T WORK": That's rare that you'll get a dud, but it does happen. More often than not it's more likely that the user has gotten an antenna for an area with over-air channels that are being broadcast from too far out, and they need a more powerful antenna. Or the user has placed the antenna in one location and assumed since they didn't get the TV signals they wanted, it must be the antenna's fault.

It's been my experience that if you do these things, you'll be happy with a flat antenna purchase from AmazonBasics, Mohu or Winegard.

1. Before you buy, make sure you check online where your local towers are, and how far away from your location they are broadcasting over-air signals. If the farthest one is 25 miles away, you will not get it with an antenna like this one that has a range of 15-20 miles. It just doesn't have the power!

2. When you set-up your flat antenna, have about 4 or 5 placement options in mind, and know which channels you expect to bring in. As you place the antenna the first time, do a signal scan on your TV to see if you get all the channels; checking the signal quality. Do this multiple times until you get all the channels you want. You may have to do this scan every week or two in order to maintain quality signals.

3. Remember that you are getting over-air FREE TV, and that alone may be worth the hassle of the first two!

UPDATE: 3/11/14 - NOTE there are (3) different flat antennas with (3) ranges to choose from and all are AmazonBasics. **Regular Performance, High Performance and Extreme Performance models.

In response to the Mohu Leaf and Winegard flat antennas having other models, AmazonBasics has come out with (3) different models. Each one has a different range listed in their product description. They are competitively priced, and appear to be essentially the same thing as the Mohu and Winegard models.

Be sure when you are ordering to get the model that reaches far enough from your location to grab all the possible over-air channels in your area. Locate those channels by using AntennaWeb dot org prior to purchase.

Ranges are 15 (Regular), 35 (High) and 50 (Extreme) miles - so buy accordingly! If you want an antenna that pulls in signals from 60 miles away and can be placed in your attic or on your roof, give the Mohu MH-110533 Refurbished Sky HDTV Antenna a try.

NOTE: At the time of this original review there was only (1) AmazonBasics model - the Regular Performance, 15 mile range model. The original review was written in response to use of that model. The other two antennas are AMPLIFIED antennas; using AC or USB power from your HDTV to offer a more powerful antenna.

I have not tested either of these amplified models of AmazonBasics, but have cut ties with cable by using the amplified versions of the Mohu Leaf and Winegard models. I trust that the AmazonBasics amplified High Performance and Extreme Performance models would work just as well as they look to be physically identical.

UPDATE: 4/23/14

In response to so many questions about over-the-air TV and flat antennas, I wrote a book. Simple Guide to Over-the-Air Free TV which explains setup, the importance of location, supplementing with streaming media, and much more. Check it out!

Also, if you see in a review or elsewhere that HD over air is 1080p - it's not. It's actually 1080i which means it's uncompressed and actually better quality than the compressed 1080p that is used by cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Indoor Digital TV Antenna..., February 4, 2014
I'm a lifelong "gadget guy". ..Serious former Short Wave Radio enthusiast & "Ham" radio operator. I can tell you antenna science is 75% of over the air reception. I've tried, experimented with & built antennas for AM, FM. Analog TV, & Wifi & digital TV. I do not know everything but I do know something about signal reception. This antenna is as good or better than the more expensive 'Leaf' & its better than most gimmick amplified antennas.

My neighbors thought I was getting amazing results (22 channels) with a leaf and then a black tile RCA antenna until they saw the 26 channels I get with this Amazon Basics. A lot depends on what you have around you (that can deflect signals) & where you place any TV antenna. YOU MUST try different locations and YOU MUST run your TV's channel scan EVERYTIME you move your antenna.

There is a window on each side of my TV but they face the wrong direction so I get only six or so channels through them. I straddle a corner of the room with the antenna (12feet away from the TV) to get 26 channels. By changing the direction of the antenna face I get five different Channels (and lose four others). I used 2 RCA antennas and a cable switch so I could switch between the two directions. I plan to do the same with this one. With that setup I will get 31 channels total.Height is important, the higher the better. I place mine just below the ceiling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed!!!, January 4, 2014
My wife and I recently got rid of Direct TV and switched to Netflix, but we missed having the networks for news, weather, & sports. So, I went to Walmart and bought one of their mid-grade antennas (I believe it was the GE 34700). I could only pickup 2 channels with video (very poor quality) & neither of them had audio. I was very disappointed b/c we live in the Wash DC metro and I know there are a ton of channels available. I just figured our house must be in a bad location (our house is situated in a hollow within our neighborhood). So it was with a lot of doubt that I decided to purchase the Amazon AB-5000 (the Mohu version was too expensive). When it arrived & I had this flimsy thing in my hands, I had even greater doubts that it would work. It took about 2 minutes to install & all I can simply say is I am AMAZED!!! We get about 37 channels (every network) all in amazing High Definition for FREE (no more DirectTV for us!!). I would definitely recommend trying this antennae even if others failed. Thank you Amazon for an amazing product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Regular version is VHF ONLY, not UHF, February 8, 2014

This is not stated in the product description, only in the user manual once you receive the product. I'm giving it 2 stars since the VHF channels come in great. The High and Extreme Performance antennas are both VHF/UHF. I'm returning the regular version and trying out the high performance antenna.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice antenna, but you need to understand it's limitations, March 4, 2014
First off, check this website before you even think about getting an antenna.
[Edit: Amazon censored the link I posted. Just search "TV reception map" and the FCC website will come up.]
I see a lot of people on here complaining about "poor reception" and I'm wondering if they're just in areas that don't have OTA television broadcasts. Enter your zip code and then move the marker to the exact location of your house. If you see any stations in green you should have no trouble whatsoever pulling them in. Anything weaker may be questionable and reception will vary greatly depending on a number of factors such as terrain, etc.

Potential buyers need to be aware that this is a DIRECTIONAL antenna. This means that where the antenna is pointing and where you place it is extremely important. This design has its pros and cons. The good thing is that selectivity will be excellent. If you aim the antenna at a specific station and tune to it you'll get very little interference from other directions. The bad thing is that if you live in an area with broadcasts coming from all different directions, you're going to have to do some deciding.

I have my antenna hung on a window with the broad side facing roughly Northeast, directly at WGBH Boston which is about 40 miles from my location. It comes in crystal clear in HD. This is my favorite channel and I really don't care much for anything else I may or may not be able to receive. However, just to explain the directionality of the antenna, consider this. I have a bit of trouble receiving the local stations in my area, which all happen to be roughly Southeast. The reason is that these signals are hitting the narrow side of the antenna (in fact, almost edge on). Even though these stations are closer and therefore stronger, I receive a weaker signal, and a few I can't pull in at all.

So you can see that antenna placement is extremely important with an antenna like this. If you want to receive a number of stations in different directions you'll really need to play with placement for a while, and you'll likely need to make a compromise between two favorites. For example, if one station is due north and the other due east, you could probably point the antenna northeast and get okay reception for both, whereas if you pointed the antenna directly north, the eastern station would get poor reception or none at all. If this doesn't work a second antenna may help. Position it to face 90 degrees from the first one, and hook both up to the television with an A/B switch. This setup would cover all directions, but you'd need to switch from antenna A to antenna B when changing channels. Do not try this with a splitter/combiner as you'll run into phasing issues.

The form factor is unbelievable. It's nothing like the ugly rabbit ear antennas of old. I mounted mine on a window behind a curtain I never open. You can't even tell it's there, even from outside. With the white side facing out I can hardly see the thing against the white background of my curtains.

Some tips for improved reception
* get the antenna up as high as possible and mount it on an outside wall. you want as few things as possible between it and the signal. A window is probably your best option.
* go on the FCC website and find out which direction your favorite stations are located. for best possible reception point the broad side of the antenna in that direction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HDTV Antenna!!!!, January 8, 2014
I bought this antenna because I wanted to see how many channels I could get and also not have to pay Comcast $10 a month for a extra cable box when I don't even watch half the channels so it would just be a waste of $100 a year. So I got this yesterday, hooked it up to my Samsung Tv/Computer Monitor, and Instantly got 35-40 channels and with some in Crystal clear HD! without an amp and I live in the SW hills of Portland. Overall: I do have to say that it was a very worthwhile purchase for me(your experience may vary), but Now I get all the major networks and my favorite shows for FREE!!!!

Note: If you find this review helpful, Please don't forget to say yes when rating!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Extreme" only marginally better than "High" performance, December 14, 2013
I live in Michigan, and most of the TV antennas in my area are 25-30 miles away. There's trees and winter weather, but no major obstructions in between.

I first bought the "High Performance" antenna. Placed about 9' above the ground in my living room in one very particular spot, I got 14 channels, some of them rather inconsistent.

Placed in the same spot, the "Extreme Performance" antenna gets the same amount of channels, but with much fewer signal interruptions. This was enough to justify the higher price in my case since I didn't want to have to move the antenna depending on what channel I wanted to come in clearest. I was really hoping that the extreme version would be strong enough to work in more aesthetically pleasing places, though.

In most other spots I tried placing the antenna, it worked about the same or only slightly better than the non-amplified version.

A COUPLE UPDATES (1/15/2014):
I am still satisfied with the antenna. Overall, it has been a viable solution to having my local channels suddenly scrambled (thanks, Comcast!).

First, I was asked where in Michigan I am located. I live in Ann Arbor -- not a sprawling metropolis, but not the middle of nowhere either.

Second, I have noticed something peculiar about the antenna that may help others. When the antenna is stuck to the wall using the included 3M tabs (I put mine near the left and right edges, halfway down), the top edge of the antenna sheet touches the wall. Slipping a little piece of cardboard or folded-up business card behind the antenna on the top end seems to improve reception. One channel in particular was sometimes practically unwatchable because of frequent interruptions, but creating a tiny space between the antenna and wall on the top edge - even just a corner - seems to have mostly resolved it.

AmazonBasics Ultra-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - 25 Mile Range