5.0 out of 5 stars a classic ambient work
Published on September 22, 2000 by Sean M. Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it or Hate it
This cd is indeed ambient. It is not to be listened to traditionally or with concentration. Play it, then come and go with the music. After a few spins, you'll know the album. It is very elusive and changes with every spin. I have not in fact had a chance to listen to it in an airport however.
Published on September 23, 2000 by kate

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic ambient work, September 22, 2000
Sean M. Kelly (Portland, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
I was 14 in 1984, and I remember laughing when I first saw the title to this lp- what is a Music for Airport, anyhow? (such a silly 14 year old thought) But I was intrigued by the concept, I saw one of my idols, Robert Wyatt, as a credit on the lp, and the lp was used, so for a mere .50, I ventured into the world of Brian Eno for the second time (I loved his Roxy Music works).
From the opening piano strokes of Wyatt, I was hooked. I couldn't listen to the lp enough. I listened to it at high volume,and at low volumes. At night; during the day; during rain; windy conditions; perfect calm. It didn't matter. The music transcended all conditions. I was amazed. I was (and still am) a huge Erik Satie fan, and Eno was the modern day Satie. The concepts were beautifully simple and effective, yet wreaked of sophisication. My friends at school were listening to Ratt and other 80s hair bands, and I was into Eno. They didn't get it. It was fine. Eno was mine.
Today, almost 16 years later, "Music for Airports" is one of the cornerstones of my musical identity. I have listened to it 1000's of times (as with all instrumental Eno lps), and still am amazed by the absolute simplicity of it. While Eno played with ambient soundscapes before ("Discreet Music," Fripp and Eno's 2 recordings), none better encapsulated at the time what he was driving towards better than this lp (in my view, "Ambient 4: On Land" best encapsulates ambient music).
This lp is a gem of the highest calibre, and is a must in any reputable music collection. A must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, December 6, 2004
J. Brady (PAWLEYS ISLAND, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ambient 1: Music for Airports (Audio CD)
I feel rather silly jumping on the Eno bandwagon decades after his best and most influential works were released. But here I am. Burned out on everything else, uninspired by anything new, I find myself going back to Eno again and again. This cd is really great. Simple, easy to listen to ( but certainly not "Muzak" )and very relaxing without being boring. Nice to listen to at night before bed, cool in the background when its raining out. And yes, I did actually put this on headphones as I waited for a flight out of Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts Eno in the level of the best artists and producers alive., March 28, 2006
This review is from: Ambient 1: Music for Airports (Audio CD)
Brian Eno's seminal masterpiece is quite simply beyond being among the best ambient albums of all time. It is among the best albums ever, period. Recorded in a time of musical turmoil (think punk) and after his glam stint alongside Roxy Music and helping bring in "enossification" and some other of his recording techniques into the life of numerous bands in the UK in the mid-to-late seventies, "Ambient 1: Music for Airports" became a timeless piece without much effort.

Eno captured the essence of the instruments he recorded, looping them and interweaving them to accomplish an exquisite minimalist sound in all four songs. From the first track (over 17 minutes in duration), which features pianos and synthesizer, the album captures you. In the second track, the haunting sampled voices that walk the aisles of a multitude of sound layers bring a dimension to the music that was unheard of until then. Track 1/2 combines the instruments from the first two tracks (voices and piano) in a new fashion, due to the phasing of the tape loops, which makes them "explore" new musical spaces as they evolve through the track's 12+ minutes of duration. The last track only reconfirms the exquisite character of the album, bringing it all back home.

The fact that this album was recorded in 1978 is very impressive, since it became a landmark of the ambient movement to follow in future decades. But the fact that it was recorded at all and it reaches such levels of (almost) painful beauty would suffice to place Eno in the level of the best artists and producers alive. Other musicians influenced by Eno that are highly recommendable would be Mark Isham (OST for "Crash") and Cliff Martinez (OST for "Traffic").

4.0 out of 5 stars Beauty in simplicity., June 14, 2005
Michael Stack (North Chelmsford, MA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ambient 1: Music for Airports (Audio CD)
Brian Eno's "Music For Airports" is a further realization of his ambient concept, first realized on "Discreet Music". The concept again is similar, simple lines of varying lengths are played in loops, allowing them to interact in various ways. The results are often times remarkable. For music intended to be background material, this work can grab your attention.

The opening movement, and probably the best on the release, is a good example of Eno's idiom-- two or three extended loops of simple piano and electric piano intertwine. The results are absolutely stunning as the music has a delicate and gentle quality to it. While the rest of the record isn't nearly as good as this piece (one piece is a vocal-only loop piece, one is vocal-and-piano, and the closer is pure synthesizer), it is all quite good.

"Music For Airports" is an engaging and interesting record, well worth investigation for anyone interested in ambient music. I prefer Eno's "Discreet Music" for early ambient material, but this is a superb record. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Ambient", as such, starts here, April 3, 2000
This is the first of four albums that Brian Eno released on his 'Ambient' label around the end of the 1970s. It is not, however, this first musical exploration of this sort that Eno engaged in. For those, one should turn to his "Discrete Music" or his collaborations with Robert Fripp. It does not directly have anything to do with his pop output of the same period, also, although parts of "Another Green World" and "Before and After Science" definitely share some of these aesthetic territory with these compositions. Rather, this is something which finds its parentage in both the 'furniture music' concepts of Erik Satie and process music techniques as used by diverse composers such as John Cage, Steve Reich, et al. These four works, very sparse and slowly-evolving, were intended for use as installation pieces for LaGuardia airport in NYC, and are intended by Eno to be a calming, contemplative set which 'prepares the listener for death', in Eno's words. One gets the impression he's perhaps not too enamored with air travel? Anyway, this music is beautiful, sublime, and perhaps to this day some of the greatest ambient music ever composed. The free-running tapeloop process that Eno devised to 'collage' the spare musical fragments here together into their works created a slow, gradually-shifting, and organic atmosphere, very unlike those achieved by more recent ambient musicians making use of MIDI and/or other methods to achieve much the same ends. Ownership of this should be mandatory, quite honestly, especially for anyone who has to deal with stress on a routine basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seminal work, July 13, 2006
This review is from: Ambient 1: Music for Airports (Audio CD)
This is one of the very best ambient works ever made. Arguably the Godfather of Ambience, Eno created music that was complex and deeply moving, while at the same time keeping everything withing a minimalist context. This is NOT New Age / Muzak kitch, which has been passed of as ambience more than once. On the contrary, this ambience is real, legitimate music and should be considered as a genre worthy of the highest respect.

I have listened to this many times at airports, and this work has captured the multitude of emotions and conceptions that occur in airports everyday, with sincerity and poignant observation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listening to Eno's Thoughtful Quietness, August 17, 2000
Brian Eno is a master of sound, simply put. In "Music for Airports" (Ambient 1) he has crafted the soundtrack of inner peace.
This sound sculpture was originally meant as a background setting for an airport terminal. It is easy to close your eyes and imagine hearing "1/1" tinkling mutedly like an electronica wind chime being stirred by the flow of travelers going to and fro. It could provide a calming center about which all the fracas and hurriedness revolves. I also imagine hearing it as the last traveler to leave the airport at night, as the final weary travelers stumble from the last flight of the night through the emptied terminal toward their cars.
Equally as wonderful - listen to Ambient 1 on a rainy day. Let it intermix with the sound of rain falling on your windows.
I use this CD to calm myself, as an accompaniment to yoga, and have used it to fall asleep. There is something in the gentle yet uneven rhythm of the tones that induces a deep relaxation state. I have found it enhances my study time as well.
Ambient music is meant to be played as a background to a normal activity. Think of it as a fluid frame surrounding a variety of daily activity. It also functions well as a mask for everyday noise, becoming a calming, peaceful environment to guard us from outside intrusion so that we may turn inward to find our own peacefulness inside. Eno has produced in this recording a multifaceted jewel of quietness, inner rhythms, and a soothing refuge inside which we can listen and let echo through our souls his own special rhythm.
I highly recommend this beautiful work of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Odd, strange, soft, soothing, August 30, 2001
jgobar (Fullerton, CA USA) - See all my reviews
From my understanding, Music for Airports was conceived to be an album literally played at airports, to soothe passengers in the terminal. It's a great idea, and it WOULD be cool to hear "Airports" in an actual airport.
If you're not familiar with Brian Eno's ambient work, the best way I can describe it is that it is minimalist music, piano and keyboards, that is perfect to go to sleep to. I've probably played this album as I went to sleep at least 500 times. There are probably 15-20 notes played about every ten seconds, often seemingly random, but never harsh, never annoying. It is designed to be played at low volume, and Eno even suggests an odd speaker-cabling system to achieve a kind of 'third channel' of sound. Experimental would be a great description of his ambient music.
Each of the four parts are somewhat similar -- none has any really LOUD moments to break up the atmosphere (unlike some of his other works, where some quite peaceful tracks would be followed by a distorted guitar or loud track that would 'bring attention' to the music). On Ambient 4: On Land, there are insect noises in a few spots on that album that kind of break up the meditative atmosphere -- but not on Music For Airports. Very blissful music. From my understanding, some, many, possibly all of the notes in the piece were chosen pretty much at random, but within certain modes that make them all soothing to hear.
If you ARE at all familiar with his ambient works, I'll just say that I think this is his best. I'm also quite partial to "Neroli," "Thursday Afternoon," "Discreet Music" and "Apollo: Atmospheres". If you've ever heard any real ambient music before, and wanted a great album of quiet, soothing background 'notes', Music For Airports is a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Emotional, July 10, 1999
By A Customer
I finally bought this disc after much procrastination. I have been into Eno since I bought Another green world almost four years ago but never got around to this until now. It seems that some people just don't get the tranquil emotional simplicity that this disc conveys. One reviewer stated he could make sounds like this just banging on his keyboard. So what?? Every note Eno strikes on his keyboard also strikes a note in my heart that is unexplainable, but very beautiful. This album isn't for everyone, obviously, but after only listening to it once I can safely say it moved me to tears. It allowed me to think more clearly and calmly. Most other "New Age" music doesn't do it for me but somehow this just sounds so heartfelt that it makes me happy and sad at the same time. To compare this to any of Eno's past works and say which one is better would not be fair. What I do is compare them and shake my head at how beautifully different they are. Eno is a master at making simple things sound more beautiful than the most complex pieces, that says a lot! Buy this and relax with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars For a change of pace, January 31, 2000
ArtSpiker "pegasusblue" (above the delicatessan) - See all my reviews
Brian Eno, what can I say? An elusive figure in the music industry but yet regularly produces new material. I first heard Eno on a collaboration album with Harold Budd and have been loyal ever since. Music for Airports is a soothing, interesting work. I remember playing it on a vinyl record as a child in my room, my mother said later that night to my father, "Did you hear that heavenly music?" Apparently she thought it was coming from the sky (or the local church). I promptly replaced my vinyl version with the CD because it stands out in my music collection as one of the most played CD's for meditation or just plain relaxation. DISCOVER ENO! hint: if you like Eno try Harold Budd also.

Ambient 1: Music for Airports
Ambient 1: Music for Airports by Brian Eno (Audio CD - 2004)