5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected
A fun and interesting piece of science history. I wish I'd read the instructions before I let it settle out. Getting everything into solution with a hair dryer first is important.
Published on December 12, 2011 by IcarusV

2.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't seem to go anything.
I set it up weeks ago and it is still clear, no activity whatsoever, not impressed, we have had weather, including snow, sunny, even some rain, but it is clear.

Update December 30, 2011
Published on December 7, 2011 by Lucille I. Jorgensen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected, December 12, 2011
This review is from: Ambient Weather AW-YG637M Admiral Fitzroy Storm Glass (Misc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars storm glass, November 21, 2011
My son is interested in science and the weather. I saw storm glasses on other sites for more money than this and because I wasn't familiar with them I didn't want to spend a lot. When I got this storm glass I was impressed. It's just the right size to stand on a bureau. I've checked it out a couple of times and it really does show the changes in the weather. My son will love this. Anyone interested in storm glasses should purchase this one. I'm very happy with the purchase. Thanks..

2.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't seem to go anything., December 7, 2011

Update December 30, 2011
I bought 3 of these for Christmas, after the one didn't do anything, I opened up the other 2 and they are sitting and doing the same thing! NOTHING! I couldn't give them as gifts, so had to shop for replacement gifts. I am very disappointed. All I can say is that they are all consistant.......look the same, no action.

4.0 out of 5 stars cool, June 17, 2011
I had bought one of these over ten years ago on ebay. It was really cool until it broke :(

It sometimes had a tendency to cloud-over (not one of its normal processes) and remain but eventually it would clear back up again.

I even brought in the "recipe" and made them in Chemistry class! Though it was hard to seal it. My Chemistry professor never heard of them!

If you love science and weather, this is a cool toy.

They were never popular and so am surprised to see them on Amazon. I'm buying another one to replace the one I broke!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm..., November 20, 2011
Well, I've had this little item for about a week and a half now, and it hasn't done much of anything.

The instructions say you should find a place for it that's not affected by drafts or sunlight. Check.

Then wait a week or more. Waiting...

I'll report back if the storm glass does anything of significance. As I write, the liquid continues to be clear even though the sky outside is getting cloudy and the forecast calls for rain.

For the moment I would have to say that only shoppers looking for a liquid-filled, phallic-looking paperweight with a mahogany base will be interested in this curiosity. Folks expecting a semi-accurate weather forecaster will do much better with a standard barometer.

At least I didn't spend $150 on a fancy brass-enclosed model of the Fitzroy...

UPDATE: More weeks have passed, and still this dopey doodad hasn't done anything. Nada. Zippo... I wrote to the company who made it asking for any suggestions, and they answered me (promptly, I will say) with a bunch of rigamarole saying it isn't known how the Fitzroy Glass works but it may have something to do with electricity in the air or a quantum tunneling effect! Well, apparently there is no quantum tunnel passing through East 24th Street in Manhattan where I live! I would VERY much like to know from these folks who are giving this product four and five stars if this device has actually been reflecting the weather conditions where they live, and if so, where they live and in what type of house. As I say, the glass does NOT seem to work in a six-story urban apartment building constructed of steel and brick...

UPDATE NUMBER TWO: Finally! After months on the job, this gizmo seems to be showing some signs of life... During a recent spate of good weather, the liquid was entirely clear. Now that we're hitting a patch of stormy weather, I see a crystalline formation in the bottom inch or two of the glass column. So after some time, the device is giving a very crude divination of good or bad weather. As for the finer readings the instructions detail (frost, snow, etc.) -- good luck with that!

UPDATE NUMBER THREE: I must emphasize that you CANNOT rely on this gizmo to forecast the weather. Yes, some days I see crystalline formations in the glass and other days I don't, but these materializations seem entirely independent of the weather trends. In short, this glass is a curiosity for students of meteorology and nothing more...

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money, Folks, January 13, 2013
I have lots of barometers, thermometers and humidity meters at home and at work since it's sort of a hobby of mine. I bought this storm glass for myself just to try it out knowing that the science behind it is sort of iffy. When it arrived, I was very careful to follow the included instructions to prepare it for use and I set it in a proper location away from sunlight. Well, I've given it two months to acclimatize to its location and it just sits there. And sits there... And sits there.
Save your money, folks. And please, don't buy these for gifts. You'll look foolish.

2.0 out of 5 stars Storm Glass?, December 9, 2011
I received this a couple of weeks ago and set it up per the instructions. We have since had two storms and there have been no visible changes to the storm glass. Not satisfied with this intriguing looking gadget.

1.0 out of 5 stars fizzles on hurricane sandy, November 6, 2012
watched it before during and after hurricane sandy .it never changed stayed stagnent at bottem instead of swirling or having little stars

1.0 out of 5 stars Weather storm glass, September 2, 2012
I bought two of these. One for my DAd and one for myself. They were a neat conversation piece but after about 6 month they had a "melt" down. All the water and the stuff in the tube slowly ran out and crystallized at the bottom. They hadn't been handled, so I don't know what happened.

2.0 out of 5 stars not impressed, May 27, 2012
Admiral Fitzroy must have had his storm glass near a window and noticed the changing weather, for my storm glass has not changed since it came out of the box two weeks ago.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›