5.0 out of 5 stars Best of AmbientWeather's WR series!
Purchased the 333 model earlier, liked it so much decided to get another but they're out of stock and saw this newer model instead- even better got the new brighter light + very loud siren w strobe light + AC/DC chargers included for the difference $10 in price w the 333 well worth it!
Published 21 months ago by RT

1.0 out of 5 stars WANTED TO LIKE - PATHETIC AM/FM & SPEAKER
Published 16 months ago by Dirty Harry

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of AmbientWeather's WR series!, November 28, 2012
RT (San Francisco, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ambient Weather WR-334A-U Emergency Solar Hand Crank Weather Alert Radio, Flashlight, Siren, Smart Phone Charger (Misc.)

1.0 out of 5 stars WANTED TO LIKE - PATHETIC AM/FM & SPEAKER, April 8, 2013
After thoroughly doing all the research on hand crank/emergency radios and reading the reviews I pulled the pin and went with this model. I realized from the start almost all of these hand crank emergency radios are cheaply made and I was not expecting this radio to sound very good or to pull in distant stations. I was however expecting it to easily pull in all or most LOCAL AM/FM stations reasonably clearly & without excess distortion, static & noise. Even when outside with the antenna fully raised this radio fails miserably. On AM it was only able to BARELY receive 1-2 stations and sound was totally unsatisfactory on those it did. FM was about 2-3 local stations and once again the reception pathetic & totally unacceptable.

On NOAA weather it did receive two stations marginally okay, and was slightly better, but still not very impressive. I have worked around radios all my life and am a licensed ham. I was intentionally preparing myself for this radio not to receive very well or sound very good. Even with that it was a significant disappointment. I think my home made toy $5 Crystal set I had as a kid sounded better. If Fisher Price ever built a radio, it probably had a more sensitive AM-FM tuner than this one. The reception & sound on AM which was very important to me as an emergency radio WAS THE ABSOLUTE WORST I'VE SEEN OR HEARD ON ANY RADIO REGARDLESS OF PRICE. THE DISTORTION IS HORRIBLE.

I still love the features and the overall design, but if the AM/FM receiver totally sucks what good is it?

If I can find another model with a better receiver, I will be returning this for a refund or exchange. From the other favorable reviews I'm thinking I may have gotten a lemon, but have no other reason to think so. If others living in SUBURBAN AREAS have had a different experience with the reception on this model please advise.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST EMERGENCY RADIO AVAILABLE FOR THE PRICE!!!, February 12, 2013
Treebrook (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This is a terrific emergency radio. Small, compact, and complete. Reception is great and I can charge most of my electronics with the included charging adapters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lot Of Options, February 17, 2013
I bought this radio for our family in case of severe weather or any other type of disaster because it was recommended at BestPrepperProducts.com.

There are three main reasons I like this radio:

1. It is both a traditional radio and a weather alert device linked-in with NOAA weather service. This allows us to hear local news and weather situations should a natural or man-made disaster occur AND get weather alerts from NOAA for tornado, flood or other severe weather watches and warnings,

2. It offers 6 different ways to charge the device, including an efficient hand-crank device and a solar panel that will power the radio in direct sunlight. This gives our family a lot of options should the electricity go out.

3. It is small and light weight. Should my family have to evacuate, this radio will go with us because it does not take up much room in our bag. At less than one-half pound without batteries, it won't add a lot of weight either.

The radio has a lot of other features too, like an LED flashlight, siren and strobe light. While we do not plan to rely on this radio as our primary source for these functions, it is nice to have a back-up on the radio in case our primary flashlights or emergency signal devices break or are not usable.

All-in-all, this radio is an excellent choice

5.0 out of 5 stars Good SOLID Weather Radio, June 2, 2013
Weatherman (Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've tested and had multiple weather alert radios over the years, and this Ambient Weather Radio is one of if not thee best! It does everything it says in the description (so I don't repeat).

-It charges your phone.
-Charges in direct sunlight (not inside, it must be outside sun no glass or plastic between radio and the sun.
-Comes with adapters for any type of cellular phone (Droid, Iphone, Blackberry, etc.).
-There is black reinforced plastic on the corners and sides of it, areas where you are likely to bump the radio.
-You can work it on AC or DC power.
-Charge on AC or DC power.
-Also the crank.
-It CHARGES your phone!!!!

Note the rechargeable battery does not last forever. So like any rechargeable battery it will have to be replaced every couple of years.

It has a VERY loud siren.

It has a flashlight.

Standard AM/FM radio. Digital tuning for channels.

Weather alerts, and a weather channel. I have not had the alerts go off yet. Nor do I want to, but it's good to know they are there.

NOTE: Keep it in a spot where you can test it once a month. You do NOT want to keep the chargeable battery inside it attached. Nor do you want to keep regular batteries. Regular batteries can leak, keep them in their unopened container with the radio and the rechargeable battery you can keep inside the radio unattached.

If you hear a major storm is coming, Take the time a day before set up the radio so you are prepared.

This is the perfect weather radio to help you in a storm. When the electricity goes, this is one radio you will be able to count on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ambient Weather WR-334-U Emergency Solar Hand Crank Weather Alert..., January 8, 2013
Ambient Weather WR-334-U Emergency Solar Hand Crank Weather Alert is an outstanding product and works as advertised. I recommend the protect!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an emergency radio, May 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I just recently received a slightly less expensive radio that was very similar to this one. Im just as impressed with this one as I was with last one.

The stations come in just fine, the main one i want to be able to hear and understand is the weather service. I've seen some people complain about the AM/TM reception. Seriously, this is an EMERGENCY radio not a boombox. If you want sterio quality then go buy a sterio.

The flashlight is bright enough, and if you hold down that power button for 3 seconds you'll activate the siren. Yes its loud and effective at getting attention.The flashlight also has a strobe affect at that point. I've decided to carry this radio on our boat specifically because of the siren.

There is also a carabiner clip on this one so it could be clipped to say a bug out bag no problem.

Just like other models there is a hand crank and solar charging options. However unlike my other one, this onecomes with a car adapter. Having multiple charging options is a huge plus.

Id recommend this radio to anyone looking for one. Its worth having because you honestly never know when an emergency will come up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic weather radio with lots of emergency extras, June 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, if you're used to a full-featured, everyday weather radio, this may disappoint you. You don't have control over your counties or the type of alerts you want (e.g., warnings only, warnings and watches, tornadoes only, etc.). So this may not be as handy *leading up* to an emergency, but it's much more useful in an actual weather emergency than a single purpose weather radio.

For one thing, this gets much better reception on both the regular radio and the weather radio than either weather radio I've used in the past. I'm in a reinforced concrete building in a rural area, where radio reception is often patchy. I had no trouble tuning in to either normal FM radio or multiple weather radio channels--even with the antenna down! My old radios barely got a signal with the antenna up and next to a window.

The flashlight is adequate and the emergency siren is nice and loud. The charging feature is adequate, if slow.

I like that there are multiple power options: AC, solar, hand crank, USB, car charger, and if all else fails, regular old AAA batteries. The battery life seems great, presumably because it's always slowly charging with the solar panel, and a radio doesn't draw too much power.

The case is sturdy (bang-tested by my 9-month old) and the handle has a clip, so you could clip it to your bag or belt to free your hands.

This would have been great to have last year when our power got wiped out for several days by a tornado (although we weren't under a tornado warning when it hit, which has made me a little skeptical about the early warning system). Our old weather radio quit working after the tornado, possibly due to a power surge, so I'm happy to have a device that can stay powered without being plugged in. It was frustrating not to be able to get a good signal away from the windows when your power's out and there's weather-related chaos outside. And having an emergency source for our cell phones would have been fantastic. It's a good multi-purpose device to keep by the bed during storm season.

The only downside I can see are the restrictions about the battery: you can damage the unit if you crank it with the battery on the AAA setting instead of the Lithium Ion setting, or if you crank it too fast or for too long. I used my label maker to boldy mark the unit with the restrictions so no one in the house will mess it up; the manufacturer would do well to mark them clearly on the unit. A warning on an insert and instruction booklet that will no doubt be thrown away isn't really sufficient in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars As described and exceeded expectations!, June 17, 2013
We've had this for a couple of weeks now and have used it especially as a weather radio on a recent NC vacation that we took. It works like a charm in all ways described. It's not cheaply constructed and the speakers/volume are really good (we've never turned it to its highest volume level because it'd be far too loud). The flashlight is surprisingly bright, and the siren will wake you out of a dead sleep (speaking from experience...). It has all the adapters you'd need, and I absolutely love the clip on it. It's well worth the money. I did months of research on these types of emergency radio/flashlight/charger devices and I truly believe it's the best one out there in terms of these portable emergency devices. It's a must-have for emergencies and prepping.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, May 21, 2013
Worked for about six months; now, even though the rechargeable battery is still good the radio won't work using battery and when using the a/c adaptor there is a lot of static. I wouldn't buy again.

Rate and Discover Movies