5.0 out of 5 stars Product does as it says, but do your homework!
I am very satisfied with this purchase. It is light weight, great for light duty hiking. All of the features are as advertised. The compass is very accurate and allows you to enter your "declination" to give you a true compass reading. The altimeter is very easy to set up and use. I have combined this with my GPS because it craps out in canyons and woods.

I...
Published on February 18, 2011 by westernflyer

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't figure out what it's good for
Published on October 17, 2011 by Bernie

5.0 out of 5 stars Product does as it says, but do your homework!, February 18, 2011
This review is from: Ambient Weather WS-108 Handheld Weather Station with Digital Altimeter, Barometer, Thermometer, Clock & Compass (Misc.)

I spent a long time reviewing different altimeters and reading individual reviews, and there was a general theme... "the altitude changes several hundred feet when left in the same location for a period of time." No duh! Do your homework, folks. It's called weather changes. Altimeters predict altitude, they do not measure it! Only a GPS knows your real altitude.

A couple of minor nit-picks... you cannot see all of the measurements at the same time on one screen. You must push a button to view the altitude, temperature, and compass. I guess I understand why they did this to keep the size and weight down.

I would suggest they make the unit white, not blue. Blue absorbs heat from the sun and will cause the temperature to be inaccurate. White reflects heat from the sun.

The compass calibration was lengthy, but I found it was not really required in the first place.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, February 8, 2011
This product works well for the money, the Pressure is accurate along with temp & compass. The Altimeter works good as long as you calibrate it at a known elevation before each use this is critical, I understood that before I purchased it so i was not disappointed. I purchased this as a cheap way to get my range information before each shooting session, and for the money it works reasonably well for me, just remember to calibrate the altimeter before each use if an elevation reading is something you need (airports are good locations) I live near the Blue Ridge Parkway so I always have a set elevation I can use. I highly recommended the the wind meter that they package with this product it is a fantastic value and its small size and light wight all it to be placed in to a home built weather vane or tossed in your shirt pocket, it is highly accurate in both wind and temp readings. one note on it thou it will tell you if there is a windchill but it DOES NOT calculate what it is, which i misunderstood when I ordered not a big deal unless you need to know the exact wind chill if you do just write down the temp & wind speed and plug it in on a windchill calculator when you get home, I did not need this feature however the advertisement is a little miss-leading basically if it reads 32 degrees and wind it displays a little icon to let you know there is a wind chill, well duh! that could have either left that off or made it calculate wind chill the indicator is just well useless. All in all these are a great value, if you are using them for weather work i would go with something like kester, but for hiking, shooting, rec, stuff there great and combined the weigh just a couple OZ and both will easily fit it the palm of your hand at the same time they are perfect for me. Enjoy and I hope this helps

4.0 out of 5 stars raedmark, January 10, 2011
Richard A. Edmark (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a nice multi-function device for lightening your load while still maintaining a lot of capability. It replaces my separate thermometer, Thommen altimeter, watch, and compass while providing weather information. I use it for light weight hiking and backpacking to more thoroughly enjoy the backcountry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ambient Weather WS-108 is a simple device, July 21, 2011
Ambient Weather WS-108 is simple to use. It is a handy tool for outdoor activities. Its compass is pretty accurate. I find the barometer is also very dependable as I have checked the atmospheric pressure against two other barometers too. I do not count on its altimeter readings as it is not a GPS. However you still have a rough idea of the elevation as long as you calibrate the unit before the trip. The thermometer is also good as I have also checked its accuracy with other thermometers in my house. Of course you have to wait a little until its core temperature catches up with its ambient temperature.
I like this device for its portability and simplicity.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't figure out what it's good for, October 17, 2011
Bernie (Kinnelon, NJ) - See all my reviews
It seems simple enough but isn't very accurate in any one of it's functions to be useful for even entertainment purposes. I took it on a hike with an approximately ~5000 foot vertical rise. I calibrated the altitude at a known point at the start of the hike. By the time I got to the top, it was wildly off from the real altitude once I reached a known altitude point at 10K feet. The compass also never seemed to be very accurate either no matter how many times I followed the instructions to calibrate it. I would have returned it but at this price it's not really worth the hassle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little barometer, June 6, 2011
Jean A. Jones (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this product so as to have a barometer, and this product performs very admirably the part. I purchased it because it was among the cheapest barometers I could get, and it was easy to set up. Within 3 days of my receiving it, it accurately predicted some rainfall in our area which is undergoing a drought so I was very pleased at its accuracy. If you want an inexpensive, easy to maintain barometer, this is the product for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Falls way short of expectations, January 22, 2011
I purchased this unit for a unique purpose. I'm an amateur astronomer who owns a telescope that has to be synchronized with each use. Part of the process involves entering the correct time. In that I don't typically wear a watch (one of the benefits of retirement), I often found myself out in the field, ready to synch my telescope, but discovering that I had forgotten to bring my watch (I usually don't carry my cell phone either). I wanted a small watch that could be attached to the telescope for the aforementioned purpose. This unit "looked" better than the other ones for sale on Amazon, albeit more expensive and didn't qualify for free shipping. I ordered it because of the pizazz factor.

For starters, I was disappointed in the unit physically. The picture depicts the item as being a dark color, ideally black, but it is a bright blue color. The picture depicts the numerals as being bold - the numerals are considerably less bold then depicted. The unit is much thicker than I expected it to be. The description of the unit, which I presume comes from the manufacturer, indicates that the time is displayed in minutes and seconds. The latter is untrue - there is no seconds display.

Setting the compass mode is all but impossible. I have tried the procedure numerous times on two days. The procedure calls for slowly turning the unit clockwise until 360 degrees is displayed, waiting 3 seconds and then slowly turning it clockwise to the next cardinal point, pausing 3 seconds, until finally returning back to the starting point. Prior to finishing the procedure, the unit leaves that setup mode before one can finish the setup. I have tried doing it faster with the same result. Finally, prior to writing this review, I tried the procedure again. The unit on numerous, careful tries, would not calibrate and locked itself in the calibration mode. No combination of switches could get it out of this mode and frustratingly, I had to remove the battery to accomplish that mission.

Finally, knowing that I at least had a functioning clock, which was my main mission for this thing, I carefully set the time with my atomic clock. The next day, I checked it against the clock and it had gained 7 seconds!

Don't buy this unless you want to pay more for less!

Update to my review on 2/5/2011 and the reason that I changed my review from 1 to 4 stars:

From the moment I wrote my review, company spokesperson Ed Edelman expressed genuine concern and offered to not only refund my money including shipping, but also supplied me with a pre-paid mailer. Apparently my unit was a fluke in that it was discovered that my returned unit in fact was not keeping good time, but it was compared against 10 other units which apparently kept perfect time. Based on the incredibly helpful attitude of the company, and based upon the fact that they acted upon my recommendations for a change in documentation and how the specifications were listed, I enthusiastically endorse not only the product, but also this very customer oriented company.

Sandy Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, June 26, 2011
This is an excellent product. As others have noted, the electronic compass is accurate. I checked the accuracy of the compass with two magnetic compasses.
The product is light but durable. It provides a variety of interesting and useful information for the user.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product for the price, September 5, 2011
Product contains features & tools found on much more expensive items. Easy to setup & to use. Love that it cost a fraction of the cost of my friend's is able to do everything & more that I want.

4.0 out of 5 stars Considerable information with small unit, August 8, 2011
There is consideration information you can obtain with this small instrument. It is 2-1/16" in diameter, 1/2" thick, and lightweight at 1 ounce. I was not interested in precise measurements, using mainly the time, altimeter, and compass when hiking. The readings seem all right for my purposes, plus the price is right.