Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 22, 2012
I have had several Davis units in the past and had trouble with the outside wind speed unit,so I thought I would try a different mfg. The WS-5300 unit came in 3 days, packed well and in good condition. Installation instructions were good and in a very short time I had it installed and working. This is my first wireless unit and really enjoy being able to place the receiving part anywhere I want to. So far I would recommend it to anyone that wants a moderately priced unit. The only thing I miss from my old unit is not being able to tell what time the min/max was reached.
55 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2012
Update: Combating birds!
The rain collector, being the highest point on the roof, is a bird magnet.. Conveniently for the birds, when they perch on the rain collector it also serves as a perfect toilet.. I was having to clean it all the time. So I decided to fight back. I attached a perch to the pole which is higher than the collector. Second, I attached punji sticks all around the collector close enough together as to (hopefully) discourage the birds. We shall see..

Assembly consists of popping on the wind cups and installing the batteries. The display is fairly easy to set up and calibrate. Since there is no pressure sensor there isn't much to it. I have a mechanical rain gauge and it agrees well (so far) with this electronic tipping bucket. The temperature/humidity sensor seems reasonable if not just a bit high. I used an old satellite dish roof mount to mount it on the roof of my shop and it went up just fine.

The only cons so far are the mounting pole (crooked and seems too small), and the mounting hardware which consists of 2 hose clamps (hardly sufficient for long term installations).

The other thing I am skeptical about is the design of the rain collector. It is a shallow and rather small cone and I am wondering if it will be accurate in a heavy rain in high wind. Seems like the rain will not collect well but have not had a heavy rain yet to test that theory.

Overall, for the price it seems like a pretty capable and uncomplicated device. And it works too!

UPDATE: OK, had the big rain event and as I suspected, it was wrong on the rain total. Rain tube about 50 yards away measured 5.2 inches, this one said 4.41 inches. Dropping it one star, but I still like it and would get it again. Have had no issues with it after about a month.
55 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2012
This was the perfect gift. Very easy to install, and works well! I love that you can check the actual min & max wind speed, rainfall, and temp at any given time! Great product!
on March 26, 2012
This was a pleasant suprise.I never had a weather station and was pleased with the way it set up and works like a charm .It is very close to the local weather stations on all it's readings .If it last a few years it will be one great deal.
on August 31, 2012
Just in time for a trial run with Issac bearing down on us in Flordia. The Weather Station arrived early than scheduled, took it out of the box, mounted it on a 20ft pole on my boat dock 150ft from the house - turned it on - and it worked perfectly. Thankfully we didn't take the brunt of the storm but still had fair amounts of high wind gusts and rain which I was able to record with my new weather station. Its has been working perfectly ever since I installed it, trial-by-fire as they say, and it passed with flying colors.
on July 30, 2012
What more could you ask for? For the price this little Weather Station does it all. I have validated the readings with a hygrometer (Relative Humidity) and a mercury thermometer and they are well within specs (+-2 for Temp and +-5% Humidity). The wireless range of the station I have tested is well in excess of 100 feet. The specs say within 300 feet. I am very pleased with what it does. I just wanted a simple weather station that works and is reliable. I have had this for over 30 days without a hitch. The book does recommend Lithium AA batteries for the sensor/transmitter. That is just a no-brainer if you want a reliable long life solution. I highly recommend this weather station for the price, easy setup and reliable data it provides.
on July 4, 2012
This is a good weather station which lets us see in our home the conditions outside. The only complaint I have is that while it does record rainfall, if you want an accurate record you have to buy a rain calibration unit separate. Other than that we are happy wi this unit
on April 10, 2012
This weather station was purchased as a gift for my 88 year old mother. She enjoys knowing the temperature outside but even more importantly likes to know the wind speed. The set up was quick and easy. The directions for programing the monitor very clear. There is a clear readout of the outside and inside temperature and humidity as well as windspeed, direction and amount of rainfall. We would definitely purchase this product again. The nicest part was the speed at which Amazon shipped the gift to her.
on May 29, 2013
I have owned this weather station for less than 4 months and have already had to change batteries twice. I bought the best Lithium Batteries I could find and they still did not last. I removed them and put them in my camera and they worked fine so the reality is that the slightest reduction in power shuts the system off. Also, the wind gauge seldom shows winds in excess of 12 mph even though we are having winds in excess of 25 mph everywhere around me and the cups are spinning like mad. I had hopes that this would be a good mid quality weather station but unfortunately it is not worth half the price I paid. It is too late to return it and too much hassle to deal with trying to get it to work. I just don't have the time to spend on it when I expect a product to last at least a couple of years. I would suggest you look at other products as this one is surely not up to any quality standard I know of.
on September 4, 2012
We purchased this product to replace another weather station that had ceased to operate. We found it simple to assemble with the exception of the VERY small screw and tab that hold the cover over the battery compartmnent. That was a struggle! After that, the most difficult thing was waiting for the clock to update ;-) We are very happy with the display and the information provided. We have yet to experience the 'rain gauge' - however, we did 'test' it and all seems to be working well. We would purchase this item again and we would recommend it to others.