Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Package Quantity: 1|Color: Red|Change

VINE VOICEon April 22, 2011
This is a superb product!

A. You have the choice of 8 or 16 slices (ya hoo!)
B. It has a large diameter core.
C. The Core Blade is serrated, making it very secure (safe)... it "holds on to" the apple!
D. Once you've completed the core/slice stroke, you place the corer in its "lid", push down once more, and the slices POP OUT of the unit.

Regarding the one star reviews: With all due respect, this is one of those products that won't work well if you don't use it right. Contrary to what one reviewer said, the blades are not "too thin." (He or she stated that the blades were bent after only six uses.) YOU MUST PUSH DOWN STRAIGHT, FIRMLY AND SWIFTLY. This is precisely the same concept as in using a mandolin slicer. That is, no matter how much you spend on one, you can't slice things if you go too slowly. And - just as with this corer/slicer, no matter how expensive the mandolin you can count on seeing several one-star reviews, almost assuredly blaming "dull" and/or "thin" blades.

There is NOTHING wrong with this unit: You simply have to LET IT KNOW WHO THE BOSS IS - just as with many kitchen tools and gadgets.
0Comment| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2010
Expensive but works great. Actual blades with a sharp edge help it work on solid apples such a Granny Smith. Slicing the bottom of the apple first for a flat surface helps tremendeously in getting the slicer completely thru the apple.
VINE VOICEon March 16, 2011
Since I wake up earliest I pack the lunches of our 3 school age kids. The boys like apples, sliced, and to save precious time in the morning I felt that buying a slicer would be a wise choice.

Heck, who am I trying to fool? I like kitchen gadgets and slicing apples for lunches gave me an excuse to buy another kitchen toy.

America's Test Kitchen (Cooks Illustrated magazine) rated a Williams-Sonoma slicer as their top pick - that slicer is exactly the same as this one, just re-branded. Overall I'm happy with it, though it's not perfect.

Pros:
- Sharp blades, cuts through apples with ease.
- Easy to switch from 8 to 16 wedges.
- Removes entire core
- Snap-on lid makes it safe to store in a drawer.

Cons:
- When set for 8 slices, blades don't align perfectly so apple can get stuck in between them.
- Locking mechanism can be a little fussy, sometimes it's hard to get the slicer to lock in one position.

At Williams-Sonoma they say to hand wash this slicer but I've been running it through the dishwasher without any ill effect. Other reviewers complained the slicer removed an excessively large core but I haven't found that to be the case. Prior to buying this slicer I was using the OXO Good Grips Corer (coincidentally ATK's top apple corer). I usually had to run the corer through the apple 2 or 3 times to get all the core removed - this slicer gets it all the first time through.

It's a handy little slicer. It's not perfect but it gets the job done. The kids like the thinner wedges I get from the 16 slice setting - most slicers cut 8 or maybe 12 slices. The thin wedges are ideal for apple pie as well.
review image
on March 6, 2010
I received the item quickly. I used to have the regular size slicer/corer. It was ok, but this is great, it not only slices pieces the regular size but it also can slice them smaller which is a great option. The other thing i liked about this one is it comes with a plastic bottom cover which acts as a release for the apples....so u don't have 2 pull them out of the slicer all u do is set it on the plastic cover/plate (provided) and it conveniently pushes the slices/core out of the slicer. Would definitely recommend!
on July 16, 2010
No wonder most apple slicers only go up to 8 slices. I received this and immediately tried the 16-slice mode on an apple. What a disaster.

I know it theoretically takes twice as much force to make twice as many cuts, but this was implausibly difficult.

It took about 10 minutes of leaning my (considerable) weight on it, pounding the apple on the table, etc. to get it to progress... Once it got to the narrower part of the apple it went fast, at least. But of course by that time "heels" of the apple were totally mashed.

The only reason I continued trying rather than throwing the whole thing out, apple and all, was that I figured I could just keep it in 8-slice mode from now on (hence the two stars instead of one...)

It does look well-made and plenty sharp; the reviews here are all great; the base you can use to push slices out is a great idea. But I bought this because I prefer thinner apple slices. Waste of $20, for me.
on November 11, 2010
We had an apple corer/slicer that didn't work very well. I don't think it's ever worked very well. It was extremely difficult to push down through the apple and didn't always leave clean slices. It was hard to "center" over the core and left a lot of the undesirable core and seeds to remove by conventional means. It didn't cut through to the bottom of the apple.

The Amco Dial-a-Slice gives you a choice of bigger or thinner slices. It's very sharp and really slices the apple. The section for the core is quite large and gets all of the core. It's a two-step process but, you can slice all the way to the bottom of the apple. After the initial "press", attach the plastic protective "cover" to the bottom of the utensil with the apple still attached. Press down all the way and the pieces will separate and come out as individual slices.

The Dial-a-Slice works better because it's very sharp. It's easy to slice your finger until you learn how to avoid getting cut.
on May 23, 2011
This has to be the best apple corer/slicer I have even owned. It is very sturdy, nothing bends or pops when you use it. It is very easy to adjust from 8 to 16 slices. Would advise anyone who is in the market for an apple corer/slicer to buy this one. The price was very good too, about $5.00 or a little more cheaper than another place I saw this.
on January 31, 2010
Use for apples for pies or for eating.. easy to switch from 8 slices per apple to 16 slices.

Firm grips.. my wife absolutely loves it. Previously had just 8 slice type.

Buy it!
on November 22, 2013
I am disappointed with this apple corer/ slicer. I used it a great deal during canning and drying season to put away organic apples. For some reason the slicer does not come flat against the cutting board leaving an incomplete slice and coring job each time. In trying to remove the slices and cores from this item, I repeatedly cut myself and damaged my slices. Finished the season with my ceramic knife and tossed the slicer in the back of the cupboard never to be seen again.
on October 27, 2015
It works; the sharp, thin blades produce even, cleanly cut slices and a clean core. But it does take some muscle power! I usually end up slamming it on a cutting board to get through the crisp apple type I prefer. Ending with pushing through the final bit on the included bottom "dish" does finish the cut and separate the slices well. It's fast and basically easy to use, as long as you don't expect it just to glide through like your best knife.