5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Gadget!!!
This is the BEST device for separating fat out of gravy, soup, etc.
Published on October 3, 2008 by Karen B

1.0 out of 5 stars Great concept; Second use it broke; Can't trust it again.
After reading glowing reviews here, I bought this at my local cooking specialty shop in Nov. 2011. I was really ready to love this and it worked once for me at home with beef broth. I was impressed!

Published on December 27, 2011 by Caspurr

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Gadget!!!, October 3, 2008
This review is from: Amco Swing-A-Way Easy Release Grease Separator (Kitchen)
This is the BEST device for separating fat out of gravy, soup, etc.
Just pour gravy into measuring cup, let sit 5 minutes so fat rises to top of cup then grasp handle and all the juices on the bottom run out. As the liquid goes down in the cup, stop squeezing the handle and the fat stays in the measuring cup and not in your gravy! DOESN'T LEAK! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

ADDENDUM TO ABOVE REVIEW. TODAY IS OCTOBER 18, 2010, 2 YEARS SINCE I PURCHASED THIS ITEM.
I have owned this gadget for 2 years now and it still works great!!! I probably use it at least once a week!!!

UPDATE TO ABOVE REVIEW & ADDENDUM: Today is January 18, 2012 and it has been 3 1/2 years since I purchased this from Amazon and it still is AMAZING!!!!! I have had NO problems with it leaking!!! I use it often, probably once every week to week and half and I put it in the dishwasher!! I am REALLY surprised at all the negative reviews. It could be a different manufacturer is making these now(I purchased mine in 2008) and is using cheaper materials. Honestly, I have never had a problem with mine!!!

All I can say is if it leaks or is broken when you get it, request a replacement because this really does a great job!! If you read my other reviews, you will see that I rate the products & books I purchased according to MY experience. If a product or book is disappointing or not worth the money, I'll report that in my review and NOT recommend it. However, I truly LOVE this gadget and HIGHLY RECOMMEND it.

****************ADDENDUM TO 2008 REVIEW*************************

September 13, 2012:

I still am using this gadget!!! Works as well today as when I purchased it almost 4 years ago!!!! I see that the "newer" model comes with a strainer lid. Mine did NOT come with a lid. I have to say, it is one of the BEST purchases I ever made!!! I use it frequently and it was definitely worth the price!!! I put it in the dishwasher after using and I always wash my dishes on the Sani-wash cycle which is super hot!!. Mine has NEVER leaked or caused me any problems!!! If you should have a problem with it not performing as mine does, return it for a replacement. You will LOVE this gadget!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thing leaks like crazy. UPDATE - 5 Stars Now. First unit was broken. New unit works perfectly., September 1, 2009
This review is from: Amco Swing-A-Way Easy Release Grease Separator (Kitchen)
Just received this item and it leaks like crazy. Would'nt be so bad if you are sifting water but hot greasy gravy is another story. The plastic tab at the bottom does not make a secure connection by any means. The entire valve mechanism leaks - or I should say streams.

I think I am going to return this.

UPDATED****SEPTEMBER 13 2009

My unit was in fact defective. I returned the item to Amazon and it was promptly replaced. The new unit works flawlessly and does not leak at all. It turns out, the first unit was missing a metal clip in the handle that helps close the bottom valve. Without that metal piece, its impossible to get a good seal. The new unit works flawlessly and does not leak.

5 Stars now.

UPDATED*****NOVEMBER 11, 2010

I've had this unit for over a year now and she's still working strong. We use it all the time to separate fats. It's actually very easy to use. The best trick is to dump your gravy into the unit and allow it to just sit for a few minutes. While it sits the fat will rise to the top and start to congeal and all the goodness will go to the bottom where, when you pull the handle, will release all the good stuff into your gravy pot, leaving all the fat behind. It also holds a "family size" amount of gravy - it's pretty large. 5-stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have. Extra Use, December 23, 2009
This review is from: Amco Swing-A-Way Easy Release Grease Separator (Kitchen)
This is a great product that every kitchen should have. I have three sizes of the spout types but this bottom dispenser type does a superior job of separation and dispensing -- keeping the fat out.

Trick (1) You can put it in the refrigerator with its liquid and the fat solidifies leaving remainder eligible to dispense. You can't do that with a spout model.

Trick (2) I also use this as a pancake and waffle batter dispenser. Works great.

The cut-off mechanism is excellent. No dripping.

I use it all the time for home made soups and stews.

Gary Hayman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great grease and gravy separator, December 12, 2008
Ruth Duskin Feldman (Highland Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amco Swing-A-Way Easy Release Grease Separator (Kitchen)
A gem! Grease floats to the top, and you release the drippings from the bottom with a simple trigger action. You can see through the clear container where the drippings end and grease begins. Wish I had had this years ago!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, December 26, 2009
This review is from: Amco Swing-A-Way Easy Release Grease Separator (Kitchen)
I love this separator. I never felt I got my old one clean as it had the long pour spout.
The top, removable strainer, is great for straining out medium to large size items.
The only improvement would be a finer mesh like strainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars why didn't I think of this., April 9, 2009
This review is from: Amco Swing-A-Way Easy Release Grease Separator (Kitchen)
When I first saw it I thought,this is it,don't look any further. After trying to do homemade chicken broth--wait a whole-lot of homemade chicken broth with an itty bitty fat separator, I immediately started looking for something different and boy did I find it. I usually buy things according to the number of reviews but this was not one of those purchases. In theory I thought it looked like it would work and the price was decent...so I bought it. It has a large capacity and it actually worked. I was thrilled. I can't say how long it will last but it sure beats the heck out of the old style any day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great concept; Second use it broke; Can't trust it again., December 27, 2011
This review is from: Amco Swing-A-Way Easy Release Grease Separator (Kitchen)

So, I took it along to use at Christmas (in someone else's kitchen!) for ham bone broth prior to making split pea soup for Christmas Eve supper. I filled it once with the ham broth and it worked great--then I filled it again since there was a lot of broth and it didn't all fit the first time. I left it to sit and separate for maybe a minute. Next thing I knew I heard liquid splashing on the floor and picked it up to find the red ring off, sitting on the counter and broth spreading all over the place. My beautiful ham broth was EVERYWHERE --on the counters, all under everything, even on the floor running under the stove-- what a HUGE time-consuming, broth-wasting, labor-intensive MESS. VERY disappointed.

So many good reviews here--I am not sure why a few of us have had such bad experiences? Is this a Quality Control issue during production? Or, maybe it works ok for ONE use per recipe before the grease and heat affect the red ring on the bottom and make it drop off. The first time I used it with the beef broth, all the broth fit in at once so didn't have to refill it as I did with the ham broth. Once the red ring falls off, there is an open hole on the bottom so it is useless. I still have the red ring but I will never trust this thing again.

Sorry Swing-a-way, I love your can openers and other products but this item doesn't live up to the name! I will try contacting the company and/or the store where I bought it and hope to get a refund. I will post an update with what happens.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dean, September 14, 2011
This review is from: Amco Swing-A-Way Easy Release Grease Separator (Kitchen)
Used this product twice. Great idea. Poor quality. Used twice. Worked great the first time. Used second time.Then bottom piece broke.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Item!, March 20, 2009
This review is from: Amco Swing-A-Way Easy Release Grease Separator (Kitchen)
100% the BEST of this type of product on the market! Since the gravy drains from the bottom, there is much less chance of mixing the fat in with the gravy. The visual density of the gravy vs. the fat is very obvious, so you know when to stop draining. Using the "spout" on the other types, it is harder to tell the difference in gravy and fat in color, but this one takes that guesswork out. This is a great product and you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Oil Separator for Chinese Soups, March 19, 2009
This review is from: Amco Swing-A-Way Easy Release Grease Separator (Kitchen)
I have searched high and low for an oil separator that has a release hole and latch on the bottom for many years without success. This product is one of the few, if not the only one, I have recently found online. This design is the best as it allows the oil to float to the top while your soup settles on the bottom and can be easily drain out. My family and I use it to filter out the oil for our Chinese soup. We can serve and drink our soup immediately without putting it into the refrigerator to solidify the oil. It is a great product, but I think it is pretty pricey!

Rate and Discover Movies