Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

on February 22, 2007
I bought the Purely Yours after debating and researching between it and the Medela Pump in Style. While I never tried the latter, I have been quite happy with the one I got! I must note that though I pump every day, it's only once a day, and I do it at home, so I don't have concerns about noise or industrial strength pumping.

The pumping: It's comfortable for me, and the adjustable suction and speed are key. It is easy to switch between single and dual pumping. If you're going for the latter, though, I strongly recommend getting a hands-free pumping bra, because it's a bit much to juggle both bottles and the dials, particularly if you are also trying to keep an eye on your baby (which I do, pumping in the morning). I do get plenty of milk with this pump.

The noise: It doesn't seem so noisy to me, but I do it at home; I might be more aware of the noise if I were pumping at work. It makes a small beeping noise with each pump in addition to the motor noise. Sometimes I put a pillow over it to muffle the sound if the babe is next to me and on the verge of sleeping.

Cleaning: It's a breeze! I fill a bowl with hot soapy water and stick the pieces in there while I do the rest of the dishes, and that does it. I have heard that the white valves are easily torn, but I haven't had any problem with that, possibly because I'm careful with them as a result of having heard about their fragility. But then again my husband never read about the fragile valves, and he's never torn one either (and yes, he does wash the pump pieces often!). The pump comes with 6 valves, and I'm still on my first two (though I've only been pumping 2 months).

Portability: This version does not come with a bag, which I don't need. It is very small and light, though, so if you do need to carry it around I don't think that would be any problem. If you're pumping away from home, I would spend the extra money and get one of the bags that is made to fit the pump and all the other pieces.

Storage: I use the Playtex One Step storage system to store the breastmilk, and I've been quite happy with that. It's no problem to use them together, the adapter fits perfectly.

Basically, this pump is great, and I plan to stick with it for future children! My only advice to others shopping for a pump would be to consider other brands. I only considered Ameda and Medela, because that's what the hospital recommended. However, I've been eyeballing other pumps since I bought mine, and it looks like others have come up with some innovations that would be worth checking out.
22 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2008
This pump works well, and I am quite satisfied with it's function -- after 2 months of pumping, I am able to pump out 6-7 ounces of breastmilk within 15-20 minutes if I don't pump for 4-5 hours.

Pros:
1. The 2009 model is BPA-free (model # 17070).
2. Efficient pumping -- I am able to pump out 6-7 ounces of breastmilk within 15-20 minutes; 3-4 oz within 7-10 minutes.
3. Can pump both breasts at the same time (more efficient usually), or you can pump one at a time (I do this when I have my baby nurse on one side while I pump on the other).
4. You can set and control vacuum strength & cycle speed -- you have full control to set it to the level that is comfortable for you.
5. Simple to use because it has few parts, and they are easy to assemble.
6. Easy to clean the parts.
7. Can use either an AC adaptor or batteries to power it.
8. Less expensive than most other electric breast pumps -- I'm glad I didn't have to pay $200-300 for a pump.
9. Can order either Lansinoh or Ameda replacement parts from their respective websites, but only 2009 Ameda flanges and bottles are BPA-free currently.
10. Has a one-year warranty.

Cons:
1. Is not contained in a carrying case, making it somewhat noisy -- it makes a distinct noise and it beeps.

Other hints:
1. Buy a "hands-free nursing bra" or make your own with an existing no-wire bra -- this would allow you to do other tasks while you're pumping; I actually have my lunch at work while I pump.
2. Store your breastmilk in storage bottles if you plan to use it within a few days; store it in Lansinoh storage bags (very good quality bags, and they are BPA-free) if you plan to freeze it.
on June 19, 2008
I rented a medela lactina select for two months after my twins were born - initially to help bring in supply, later to pump bottles in the morning, after nursing, to have on hand for topping the babies off in the evening when my supply was lower and they were ravenous. I was reluctant to purchase a personal use pump because you can't try them out and you can't return then and I hated to spend much money and hate the pump.

But the cost of the rental was adding up and I finally bit the bullet and bought the Ameda. I am glad I did.

I have not used a Pump in Style so I can't say how this compares, but I seem to have as good results with it as I did with the lactina. When I pump after the morning's first feed, I get around 2oz with either pump. When I pump after later feeds, I get between 1 and 2oz. I know these amounts are not impressive but this is after nursing two babies, and what matters is the results between the Ameda and the Lactina are similar.

I like that this pump has adjustable speed and suction, like the original pump in style. I don't care for the "let down" feature of the PIS advanced - I like to have total control. If you start with low suction and high speed, and then switch to high suction and low speed once your milk starts, you have the let down feature with even more control. (I briefly rented a medela symphony which has the let down feature and I didn't care for it - the lactina just worked better for me)

I guess there are 3 things about this pump that I don't like, none of which are cause for not buying it.

1. Comes with BPA plastic parts. Not a huge deal as you can use any old standard bottle with it - I use the cheap BPA free evenflos - and the milk passes through the BPA horns too briefly to leach any way. You can also obtain BPA free horns - either in the hospital or from Ameda directly (you have to call and order the disposable hygienikit - I don't know why they say it is disposable, it is sturdy polypro plastic!) or from websites which sell the horns (I suspect they are buying the kits and splitting them up to make more money by selling the horns/bottles and "extra parts" seperately)

2. I often find myself using the highest level of suction and worry that if the pump loses even a little suction over time, it will not work for me - so I try not to crank it all the way up so my body doesn't get used to the max amount of suction. The max on the Ameda is not as high as the max on the lactina but it is still sufficient. I wouldn't reccomend this pump for bringing in your supply if you are ie nursing a preemie or otherwise having difficulties, but after that period I think it is fine for maintaining, occasional pumping, pumping at work, etc.

3. I have heard Hollister is selling the rights to the pump to Evenflo which makes me wonder if quality or service will suffer. Have not been able to get a hold of Hollister to ask this but may be something to consider. As it stands, it's not a problem now.

All in all it's a great pump. Skip the beefed up packages - you can store the pump in one of the hospital diaper bags and buy cheaper (and possibly safer) bottles to pump into. Save your money for something fun.
on September 18, 2013
My first Ameda Purely Yours pump was given to me by a friend over 4 years ago. She exclusively pumped for an entire year! Then I used it for 2 years, about 6 times/week. It worked perfectly! So perfect that I decided to buy a new Ameda Purely Yours pump in April of 2013. The original pump's AC adaptor was cracked and I thought a new pump would be nice for the new baby... wrong!

My new pump arrived in April 2013 and it worked good. I pump only 3-4 times each week and after a few months the pump would randomly stop turning on. I would sit there for up to 5 minutes switching it on.. off.. on.. off.. on... off. Then finally it would work and I could pump. Not cool when I have a limited time at work to pump. So I called the company and they sent me a new motor. They were super nice and friendly so I was happy!

The replacement motor came and I sent back the broken one. From day 1 the replacement motor did not work properly and barely sucked and I ended up having to use a hand pump. I called the company and they sent me new pumping parts (cone, valve and diaphragm). Still, the pump did not work properly. So I called again and they sent me even more- another new cone, valve, diaphragm, tubing AND white caps. Again, it still didn't fix the problem. The pump would suck just fine, but wouldn't properly release the pressure causing the diaphragm to bunch up. After a few cycles, the suction would be too low to work. If I popped the white caps off, it would release the pressure and I could get 1 or 2 nice sucks until it stopped working again. Finally they sent me another replacement motor.

The replacement- replacement motor works better but I'm still not happy :-( I don't think it sucks strongly enough and to get enough suction power I have to use it as single pump. I know my original pump worked better than this. It feels like a huge waste of money because I can't use this pump as a double pump, and I've been using my manual pump instead since its quieter. I'm not sure I will call again since the replacement-replacement-replacement might be even worse. I would have highly recommended this pump last year but now I can't.
on April 22, 2013
I am very upset with this product I purchased the pump in March 2013 when my son was 1 week old and used the pump once a day after 2 weeks the pump started losing suction and I was getting as much milk I called customer service who were great and over nighted me a new unit.... the new unit lasted 3 weeks and broke on a Friday (Ameda is closed on weekends) so I had to go all weekend without a pump and call on Monday they offered to send me another new unit but I told them I wasnt satisfied with the product so they told me i can return it to them and then they will refund me. which is a nightmare because i am going to be out of a pump while waiting for my refund as i cant afford to spend the money on another one right now! great customer service but the product is rubbish dont waste your time or your money!
on November 29, 2010
A couple of months in, the motor on the pump started acting up. The suction was variable. I had to turn the motor upside down in order to get it working. I was pumping far less milk than I normally did. I called Ameda. The pump was still under warranty. Because I am a working mother, I rely heavily on my pump. I asked if they would reimburse me for a new pump, so that I could have something right away. They would not. Instead, they promised that they would overnight a new pump (motor). It is now almost a week later. No pump. I have had to resort to borrowing a Medela PIS from a friend (I know that you are not supposed to do this). In my opinion, there are 2 major reasons not to buy this pump: 1) an unreliable motor and 2) the lack of timely customer service when your pump does go out. They should know better. This is not an optional appliance for a working mother! You have no great options...buy a new pump, borrow a pump, or try a manual pump (which is so slow that you might as well call in sick). By the way, I am "tech guy"'s wife.

An update: the replacement pump came and DOES NOT WORK!
on November 17, 2006
I have used this breastpump for 2 children now. My first child I pumped exclusively for over 1 year (no formula supplementing)...so this breastpump I used ALOT. No problems at all. Around the 1 yr mark the motor died (I understood though with as much as I used it), but the customer service people replaced it anyway (although the warranty was expired). I am now using the replacement pump three years later with my second child...She is 3 months old now and no problems with the breastpump (even though it was in storage for over 3 years). This is a great breastpump and the customer service is amazing.
on October 6, 2008
I work full-time and have been using this pump at work for the past 10 months. I considered the Madela, but ultimately decided on this one. I am so glad I did! The Ameda is cheaper than the Madela and I don't have a single complaint.

1. It's easy to clean and not having to worry about cleaning the tubing is nice. Now that I'm down to only pumping once a day I just wait and clean the pump parts at home. I stick them in a sink of hot soapy water and let them soak a minute to loosen any dried milk and then I clean them with a nipple brush.

2. It's very portable. Since I don't really use it at home I've started leaving the pump at work and just carry the small insulated bag with the pump parts.

3. It's durable. I have put this thing through the paces and it has held up great. I look forward to using it with my next child.

4. I think it's pretty quite. It does make some noise, but every pump does. I shut the door to my office and I don't feel embarrassed to use it at all. Sometimes I even set the pump (motor part) on the floor and take phone calls while I'm pumping. I tried this with friends first and they assured me that you could not hear the pump from the other end.

5. I find the suction to be good. It's not uncomfortable and I can get a good amount of milk.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase and I would recommend this pump to anyone.
on August 6, 2007
I bought this pump after hearing that it was well liked by other people who owned it and that it was half the price of the Medela Pump in Style. The Ameda pump is satisfactory - I like the ability to adjust both the speed and the amount of suction. It is also small enough to carry easily if needed. Another plus of the Ameda is that there is no way that the milk can ever get into the tubing due to the pump design. (Medela pumps don't work this way).

The only downside I have noticed in the pump is that there are very fragile valves on each pump. I've broken 2 of them already in one month even with gentle treatment. Replacement valves run about $2.50 apeiece, so I went ahead and ordered 8.

If you're looking to save money, just order the pump without the bag. I know I have tons of soft coolers at home that I plan to use instead of spending an extra $50 for yet another bag and cooler.
on August 24, 2013
When I first got this pump, it worked great. I've used it for almost 3 months and now the suction has become very weak. I read to change out the white valves, so I did and it still has weak suction. I notice the valves don't open, they form a 'C' shape. I am planning on calling Ameda on Monday. I have heard you can give them the serial number but mine has rubbed off the pump so I can't even read it!