5.0 out of 5 stars beats medela pump in style advanced Hands Down
Updated review, 2013
I own both the medela pump in style advanced and ameda's purely yours pump. Ameda's pump is better than medela. I have no idea why so many people own Medela pumps, I hated my Medela pump, Medela customer service was bad, and Medela pump grew MOLD.

Published on March 29, 2011 by g

3.0 out of 5 stars Broke after only a few months. disappointed. (updated)
Bought in December 2011.
began using in January 2012.
began losing suction by February 2012.
Stopped working completely in April 2012.

Need I say more?

-UPDATE-

Published on April 13, 2012 by matthew s leonard

3.0 out of 5 stars Broke after only a few months. disappointed. (updated), April 13, 2012
Bought in December 2011.
began using in January 2012.
began losing suction by February 2012.
Stopped working completely in April 2012.

Need I say more?

-UPDATE-

WOW! I wrote the above review the day the pump broke (April 14 - a Saturday) and first chance I got on the following Monday (today) I checked their website and called their clear, easy-to-find number for defective products. They picked up immediately (no robotic answering machine) and Veronica on the other end was extremely sympathetic and helpful. After determining that our unit was, in fact, on the fritz, she offered us a replacement, no more questions asked. We have moved overseas since purchasing the original, and so she arranged to have a replacement sent overnight to a family member who will bring the new unit when he visits in a couple of weeks (this seems to me the simplest and safest way. really). She then helped us find a local distributor we can rent a pump from temporarily and arranged to reimburse us for the cost. Very impressed with this prompt, personal and decisive response. Thanks Veronica!

Really. A little bit of empathy goes a LONG way.

For this I am upgrading the initial review from a 1 to a 3, taking in account the 5 star response.

The Purely Yours is an impressive unit when it works. My guess is they must have changed the manufacturing in some way and probably have some major bugs to work out. They seem prepared to handle the defective units, which tells me they are serious about getting this right over the long run. Let's hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars beats medela pump in style advanced Hands Down, March 29, 2011
Updated review, 2013

And durability and reliability with my Ameda pump are great. I am a working mom so I pumped a lot with baby #1 and baby #2. This pump has lasted since 2008 with pumping daily 5 days/week for 3.5 years and counting (I breastfed baby #1 for 18 months and #2 for 2 years).

It is now 2013, 5 YEARS later, and we are on baby #3 and this pump is STILL WORKING GREAT!!! I used it every day for 3.5 years, and am using it every day now.

Why ameda is superior to medela:
1) NO MOLD growth - milk cannot get into tubes. See below. After I found mold on my medela pump I went out and bought an ameda pump right away.
2) NO MILK in the tubes like with medela (that prevents you from using your pump until the tubes dry out and is a huge PIA)
3) about half the price as medela if you just buy the pump and not the bag etc.
4) the ameda pump is easily freestanding, also has nice slots on the pump to hold your pumped milk in bottles. NO SPLIT MILK because the bottle tipped over!!
If you remove the medela pump from the backpack or bag you'll see the pump casing - the medela pump has holes in the casing around the pump so you don't really want to take it out of the bag - and nowhere to put your pumped bottles so they don't fall over.
5) Bad customer service from Medela. There was a recall on the Medela PIS advanced. I contacted medela but couldn't find my AC adapter with the # medela customer service wanted and they never sent me the recall fix.
6) If you like the medela bottles - the nipples and rings, etc fit perfectly on the Ameda bottles. Thanks to another Amazon reviewer for that tip. I use the Ameda pump and have put the medela nipples and rings on the Ameda bottles w/o any leaks or problems (unless the medela rings crack, a known issue).
7) This pump sucked out As MUCH MILK as the HOSPITAL GRADE PUMP I rented for 1 month. If you read A.H.'s review, it unfairly compares this pump to a HOSPITAL GRADE pump which costs over $700. For the savings, I'll deal with the noise this pump makes. It works great.

Medela knows about the milk in the tubes problem - in fact there are instructions about this in the booklet that comes with their pump. Well, I got milk backed up in the tubes more than once despite following the instructions in the manual. Then I had to stop pumping and dry the tubes out. No more pumping that day. And, to my horror, despite running the MEDELA pump for a couple of minutes after every pumping as per instructions, and drying out the tubes if they got milk in them, I opened the faceplate of the medela pump one day and found MOLD growing on my medela pump. That was it, I bought an ameda pump and have never gone back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money on Medela - This pump works great!, August 5, 2011
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump (Baby Product)
It took me about two months before I decided to purchase the Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump. I used a manual medela pump for the first 8 weeks after my daughter was born, which was fine until I went back to work. Then it became much harder to step away and pump manually. I hemmed and hawed over spending big bucks for the Medela electric pumps, even though all of my friends swore by it. I spoke with lactation consultants who said to try the Ameda pump, so I finally took the plunge. I am so happy that I did! This pump does the job perfectly, and at a fraction of the cost. I only bought the pump, which came with two 4-oz bottles. I didn't really need a cooler (I already had two), and I use a small tote bag to haul the pump back and forth from work and home. Also, the pump works with Medela bottles and Dr. Brown's bottles.

This pump is affordable, and it's does a great job. I'm glad that I didn't waste money on the Medela pump!

4.0 out of 5 stars If yours doesn't suck well, here are some tips..., October 1, 2013
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I was renting an Ameda Elite and it helped establishing my supply. After achieving a balanced supply I returned it and bought the Purely Yours brand new on Craigslist ( the seller got it through her insurance but she prefers the Medela). The first time I used it, I got absolutely nothing and I freaked out. Since I couldn't return it and I had to pump, I started to research it, and here's my findings:

1) it sounds "out of breath". The Ameda Elite sounds like "ah---oh---ah---oh---" while the Purely Yours sounds like "ah-, oh- , ah- , oh- ".
2) the soft cup thing, or I think it's called the membrane, which is being squeezed and released, never gets a full release, unlike the Elite which is always full squeeze and full release.
3) if I pull out the tube from the pump, and reattach it, I get a strong suck, like the pump finally gets to take a deep breath, and the membrane gets a full release, but it soon fades out and the membrane gets squeezed tighter and tighter but releases less and less.

so my conclusion is: the pump doesn't have enough strength to suck and you have to let it breathe more freely...I don't know if it makes sense but here's the solution:

The whole system can't be too airtight, which means you have to let it leak a little bit of air, but not too much or you have no suction at all. To achieve this, while pumping, you carefully pull out the connector to the pump so it's only loosely attached to it. How loose? You will know it when you hear the pump making the comfortable breathing "ah---oh---ah---oh---" and you see the membrane being fully released and almost fully squeezed. And in the mean time, you should feel the suction getting stronger. And if you want more suction, push in the connector but if you start to notice the "out of breath" signs, you know you are overdoing it and you should start to pull it out. It will take some time for you to reach a wonderful balance, but once you get it, you should be able to sit back and relax and finish your pumping.

I'm able to achieve almost the same result compared to when I was using the Elite. If I had the money, I would still be renting the Elite, or even buy one. But the Elite costs almost 10 times of the Purely Yours and I think the Purely Yours is a lot more cost effective, and it's small and light. It is noisy though, but still, it's cheap, so no complaint.

1.0 out of 5 stars Working mom? Forget this- buy a Medela, January 26, 2014
neatski (Saint Cloud, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump (Baby Product)
Yes, the Medela pumps have a clear design flaw (purposeful so they can't be transferred between users?) in that the tubing comes in contact with milk, leaving the parts vulnerable to mold. This Ameda pump has a closed design so milk does not get into the tubing. However the advantages end there. I have this pump, the Medela Advanced Pump in Style (in fact, have used two different models- an older one and the brand new one), and a Medela Harmony manual pump. All three of the Medelas beat this one hands down, including the manual one. I work full time and an efficient pump is absolutely essential. In order to maintain my milk supply, I pump 4 x a day on weekdays in addition to nursing, and the last thing I want to do in my limited time is to spent 30 minutes attached to a breast pump. With the Medela pumps, I get 2-4 oz from each breast in 10 minutes or fewer. With the Ameda, I'm lucky if I get 1.5 oz in 20 minutes. In addition, the Ameda's performance is really inconsistent. As another reviewer stated, you need to loosen the tubing from the connector to the pump a little so the system isn't completely closed, otherwise it loses suction entirely. I had to constantly fiddle with it to get it to work properly. And even with good suction, I still don't get much of a yield with the Ameda. Even having to pump manually with the Medela Harmony on one side at a time gives me better and faster yield!

The difference in price between this and the Pump In Style pays off in a month of not having to buy formula. If you're planning to exclusively breastfeed, just skip this and buy a Medela. I love the idea of a closed system and hope that Ameda finds a better way to implement it, but this one just doesn't cut it. This was a complete waste of money for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why I Switched to Medela: A Purely Yours In-Depth Review, December 23, 2013
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I have never be so impressed with customer service but so (very) disappointed in the product.

When I was doing my research leading up to getting a pump, I chose Ameda because of the glowing reviews on Amazon, and dreamed of short, fruitful pumping sessions as described by all the mom's that had their own Purely Yours pump. 10 oz in 15 minutes?! (said one review) That sounded wonderful.

So I received my Ameda Purely Yours pump through Edgepark medical suppliers, cleaned it, and had it all set up at my "pumping station" in the living room for my next workday (luckily I only work 3 half days a week so I don't have to pump at work, just in the morning). When I got all settled down the next morning and "hooked up" to the pump, I was surprised to notice how little the pump was was getting even though I felt engorged. I never even felt my milk let down. Reluctantly, I detached one flange and just tried one side at a time thinking the suction just wasn't enough divided. I sat there for 40 minutes and only got 4 oz from one side (which I know should be a good amount, but I've dealt with oversupply since my son was born and I could literally feel milk still in my breasts) before frustrated, I had to quit so as not to be late for work. I told my husband he'd need to dip into my stash in the freezer because I hadn't been able to pump enough for 2 or 3 feedings.

I tried a few more times with similar results before contacting parent care. They were very helpful and friendly, and sent me reducing inserts (as I though maybe that was the problem), and then, when the green light on my pump started flashing and then dying after being on for 20 minutes, she sent me a new AC adaptor,

I thought these two changes would improve my situation, but they did not. It still took 40-60 minutes just to pump 2 feedings worth of milk (8oz total). Frustrated and sleepier than I wanted to be (because of a son who at 6 months still won't sleep through the night and being forced to get up an hour earlier just to pump), I called the Ameda support line and spoke with a lactation consultant, who helped me troubleshoot and narrowed down the problem to perhaps the valves. She sent me more, but that didn't help much more than anything else had. I tried some troubleshooting of my own and finally figured out that the real reason I'm having problems is that the diaphragms start great, but after about 15 contractions, they stop fully relaxing before the next contraction. This affects the power of the suction and the pump's ability to draw milk out.

I told this to parent care, and they then sent me new flanges, new diaphragms, new caps, and more valves just for good measure. She mentioned the manufacturers had cut a bad batch of flanges and that must have been my problem.

FINALLY I thought I had my solution. I washed all my new pieces, put them together, and the next morning sat down with optimism.

Nope.

The diaphragms were the still the issue. I had to constantly uncap the flange as I was pumping so it would relax all the way, which means I could only pump one side at a time. Parent care suggested the tube adaptor was pushed too far in, so I tried adjusting that to some improvement, but still not enough to be worth the effort.

At this point I gave up. It amazes me how excellent the customer service was for such a poor product. I contacted Edgepark and will be receiving a Medela in the mail soon. For your convenience, I will update this review to compare the two products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump, April 25, 2011
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump (Baby Product)
We bought this pump after renting the Ameda ( professional) from the hospital. My question was is the small body will do the same job as the big one(professional)? And my answer is YES it's doing the same job.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so great, January 21, 2014
Shannon (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump (Baby Product)
as soon as I tried my new Medela advanced pump I knew I had to come on here and write a review about how this pump had a negative impact on my breastfeeding experience.

I got the Ameda Purely Yours through my health insurance program like many others. I use it my second day home with my daughter and everything seemed to be going great. I filled both bottles with milk and life was good. I was excited that I was able to breast feed and pump when you hear so many horror stories about how it doesn't work out for so many women.

after only a few short weeks, maybe 2 or 3, I noticed I was producing a lot less when I pumped. Like maybe half a bottle for each breast. Then it was even less. After a call to la leche league and them telling me my pump was a good model I thought maybe it was me. After many frustrated conversations with many lactating mothers I concluded that maybe I wasn't pumping enough, maybe I was only producing as much as the baby ate which must have been less than the supply that came in.. Which made no sense considering she is a champion eater and loves to nurse. Often. So I am parked on the journey many breastfeeding mothers who are having difficulty do. I tried taking fenugreek supplements to boost my milk supply and pumping more often. I would stay up late at night despite being exhausted to pump. I remember sitting at the kitchen table those early weeks my daughter was home, her strapped into her bouncy seat and whining unhappily because instead of paying attention to her I was sitting at the kitchen table sleep deprived and in pajama pants, with the pump strapped to me. praying that my pump would produce what my friends seemed to get. Then I felt guilty for taking time away from my daughter and husband. I was afraid I wasn't producing enough but when I went to the pediatrician for my daughters one month check up she had gained over two pounds. Obviously supply was not the problem. But still I could not seem to get much out of the pump so I began to supplement my daughter with formula when I left her with a babysitter or when we left the house as I do not feel comfortable nursing in public. I felt like I had failed and my poor little girl did not like the taste or consistency of the stuff and wouldn't drink much. So this put more pressure and guilt on me.

Around Christmas i saw a relative who was nursing her 6 month old. She asked me what pump I was using when I described my problems to her. She said " I had the exact same problem! We got this comp because the hospital told us it was sanitary and a closed system but it had no suction. I got the Medela advanced and it was like night and day. You should get one of those."

While I waited for my new health insurance to take effect so I could get this new pump, I ended up buying a manual pump and using that on one side while my daughter nursed on the other and it produced better results than this supposedly high end double electric pump.

And as promised I tried my new Medela advanced pump and it has made a world of difference. I now have hope that I can possibly produce enough pumped milk to keep my daughter happy when I am away or when we leave the house. I no longer feel like I am in a horrible predicament or like I am an inadequate mother. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using to feed your infant formula but for my particular infant she greatly prefers my breastmilk and that is what makes her happy and works best for us. What my messages to anyone is do not buy this pump! It really did a number on us! Get a Medela advanced. seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFESAVER!!!, April 8, 2013
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I did a lot of research online before buying the Ameda purely yours Breast Pump. I chose this one because of all the mixed reviews on the medela. Also, this one is a lot cheaper then the medela, and i'm wondering if you are paying for the medela name.
I bought this while I was pregnant with my first child. I didn't think I would need it right away, but I bought it because it had gone on sale at amazon for $129. I'm so glad I did! I honestly think that I would not be breastfeeding my daughter right now if it wasn't for this pump...(and the support of my husband!!!)
I didn't realize how difficult breastfeeding could be. My daughter was really sleepy and didn't latch. Also, my milk took 5 to 6 days to come in. I used the hospital pump to encourage milk production while my husband cup fed her the few drops that I could pump, and then topped her up with formula.
When we were ready to go home, the only 2 pumps that the hospital recommended for me to continue using while at home was the medela or the ameda purely yours. I was soooo relieved that I had the Ameda already at home and didn't have to worry about renting a pump.

I was able to pump enough at each feeding (every 3 hours) to not have to use formula anymore. This pump has great suction and is so easy to use and only took me about 10 minutes to get enough milk for a feeding. Eventually, after 7 days of perseverance and pumping every 3 hours, my daughter suddenly started to breastfeed!

If the pump didn't work so well, I think I would have given up pumping every 3 hours because of frustration and exhaustion. I then would have stopped producing milk and would not be breastfeeding her today!

Also, when I was initially looking at the ameda, I was confused between the pump on it's own and the pump with the carry all. Since the carry all was much more expensive then the pump on it's own, I automatically assumed it was the one that I needed. I'm glad I didn't order it! I would save your money and NOT order the carry all. It is quite a bit more money for a few bottles and a cooler bag. The breast pump on it's own comes with everything you need to pump.

I ordered the simples wishes handsfree breastpump bra and highly recommend it! It makes it a breeze to pump both breasts at once and you can even hold your baby or read a book while pumping!

Even though I breastfeed, I continue to use this pump frequently and freeze my milk so I have a stash in case of emergencies! Also, I feel better running to the store and leaving her at home with dad for an hour because i leave him with a bottle just in case!

I just love how quick, convenient and efficient this pump is, and being easy to clean is an added bonus! I just soak the parts that come into contact with milk with hot, soapy water, rinse and then air dry. I don't put it in the dishwasher or use any tools to clean the parts with and I think that is why it still works so good after all this time! The pump comes with an extra set of valves and I'm still on the first pair after 4 months of use.

I would highly recommend this pump to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even worth it for free!, November 16, 2013
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I got this pump through my DME provider via insurance as part of the Affordable Health Care act. I think its so great that the insurance companies are covering pumps but man, would it be great if they just did X amount of reimbursement for a pump you actually WANT. I hadn't heard of the ameda but read a lot of reviews on here and ended up getting it for free. My normal thing is "if its for free, its for me," but that is NOT the case with this pump. I can't believe how much time I wasted pumping. I thought it was normal to spend 45 minutes pumping but all of my friends told me that wasn't the case. It took forever--I now liken it to pumping with a bike pump, haha. In the meantime, my friend gave me her pump in style which I keep at work and I rented the hospital grade symphony to keep at home. Medela is the leader in breastfeeding for a reason, because their products blow everyone else's away. I'm only keeping this pump for an emergency where I need to have something portable and battery powered in my purse. IE traveling/sporting event, etc….Thanks for wasting 3 months of my life Ameda, you stink!

Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump