5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to the Medela
Published on June 5, 2009 by Pop Culture Mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional, but the d@#m BEEPING NOISE
I would rate this as a 3 and 1/1 or 3 and 3/4 if I could....

I researched this versus the Medela fairly thoroughly, as I had rented a hospital grade Ameda pump prior to purchasing the Ameda Purely Yours and was nervous about making this decision. I wish that I could talk to someone who has used both, but alas.

The main advantages that sold me on this...
Published on June 14, 2011 by MichelleKH

5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to the Medela, June 5, 2009
This pump was my fourth attempt at finding a pump that is right for me. My baby is currently six months old, and I have been using a breast pump since she was a few weeks old. My original breast pump is the Medela Free Style. I like it a lot. I think it does a good job of expressing a lot of milk in a short period of time. I also love the fact that it is hands-free. What I did NOT like about the Medela Free Style, however, were the nipple shields. After experiencing very sore nipples and eventually a bit of nipple trauma (ouch), I bought bigger breast shields for my Medela pump. Unfortunately, Medela does not take into account that nipple size and breast size do not necessarily have a correlation, and I found that the shields, while fine for my nipples, were too large for my breasts, and thus did not fit properly [incidentally, I have a friend who has the opposite problem -- large breasts and small nipples, and she had similar fit problems with the smaller Medela breast shields]. The result was inefficient pumping, and, again, sore nipples.

I was also one of the initial testers of the new MiPump. Hated it. Hated every part of it. If the pump hadn't been free, I would have been really angry over it. The only thing I did like about the pump was that it was lightweight and quiet.

My third pump is a manual pump -- the Avent Isis. I bought this pump after experiencing the nipple trauma from my Medela Free Style. I needed to continue to pump at work, but without further injuring myself. What I loved about the Avent Isis is that you could "hold" the suction for long periods of time. This is a very efficient way to get milk. What I hated about it is that it's manual, so in order to get the same amount of milk I could from the Medela, I would have to spend twice as much time. I also was limited in my activities while using the manual pump.

So I set out to find a pump that would give me the best of what I experienced in the other three pumps I own. I wanted the efficiency and convenience of the Medela Free Style, the quietness of the MiPump, and the suction flexibility of the Avent Isis. I think the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra comes as close to anything I've read about in accomplishing this task.

Efficiency/Convenience: I've read some reviews on here for the previous version of the Ameda Purely Yours, which say that this pump is superior to the Medela in terms of efficiency. I wouldn't go quite that far. I think it is just as efficient as the Medela Free Style. But it is $100 cheaper, so that scores a win in the Ameda column. It is not a "hands-free" pump, but I've found that with a good nursing bra, I can place the shields in my bra, and after suction starts, let them go. They will stay in place, and I can continue to do work. Major plus. Even better, no nipple trauma. The pump comes with three different size nipple shields, and there is an option to order another larger size. I am using the largest size and unlike the Medela, the breast shield size is the same as the smaller sizes. I have no problems with the fit!

Sound: The Ameda is by no means silent, but outside of a manual pump, you'd be hard pressed to find a good pump that is. It is fairly quiet, and I have found that I can talk on the phone without the other person knowing that I am pumping.

Suction: This is the best function. There are separate dials for speed and suction. You start with the dials on the highest speed to encourage let-down and on the highest suction that is comfortable for you. After let-down, you set the speed lower (I often set it to the lowest at first). After a few minutes, if you need to encourage more let-down, you set the speed on high again. This is a great function. I can't hold the suction quite as long as I can with the Isis, but it's pretty close. I am able to pull a stream of milk for a few seconds, and I think this is really efficient.

Other pluses: Although not pictured, the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra comes with a very cute tote bag, a cooler bag and six bottles. The three ice packs in the cooler bag are very thin, so they don't take up a lot of space in your freezer. They are also very good. They keep my milk cold all day. I don't have to leave my office to store the bottles. Huge plus. Additionally, my Medela bottles (which my child prefers to use) weren't a huge waste, because the Medela bottles screw into the Ameda breast pump. I can pump directly into the Medela bottles.

Although this pump is by no means perfect, it is very good. Having used three other pumps, I can say it is definitely the best pump I've tried yet.

UPDATE: When I initially wrote my review, I had only tried using it with the plug. This is the pump that stays at my office, so there was really no need to use the battery operation. Since then, I've tried using it with the battery, and the operation is spotty at best. Granted, I only tried a couple of times and with some really cheap batteries; but I thought it only fair to amend my 5-star review to a 4-star in case there is anyone who needs to use the unit with batteries only. From my limited experience, they didn't work very well. However, the cord to the plug is very long, so unless you're traveling, you should be able to get by without needing to use batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pump!, January 9, 2010
I did a lot of research before buying and ended up with this one over the similar Medela pump. This is less expensive than Medela and seems superior. There are completely dialable settings for both speed and suction. I tend to be a bit abusive to my electronics and this has stood up now to 5+ months of abuse with no issues. The price on amazon is better than I could find at a local store. Note, most stores do not carry this pump, only specialty boutiques that specialize in lactation consulting. I am a little concerned with how easy it will be to get replacement parts if I break anything, but I have not had to worry about that yet. I was able to get a $5 rebate through Enfamil in a free bag they gave me at the hospital, so if you get one of those bags and buy any pump, be sure to look for that.

I have not needed the different sized flanges and find the carrying bag is way bigger than you need. The set comes with car adapter, AC adapter, and the pump can also use batteries. I have used all 3 and the pump works just as well on the alternative power sources. Each collection bottle has markings for 4 oz but can hold up to about 5 oz max. Over time, between collection and cleaning, the oz markings on the bottles have deteriorated and are essentially non-existant, but by now I can essentially eyeball how much I have pumped without them.

If you are full-time pumping for a child in daycare, you will probably need to consider a collection container alternative in addition to what this comes with. I pump 15-20 oz during the workday and give that to daycare for the following day, so if I used only the collection bottles given it would not be enough. I would need at a in minimum 8- 4 filled at daycare + 4 for collection at work. I just use 2 collection containers and combine what I pump that day into one big rubbermaid container (which I have 3 of) that I purchased at Target, which has worked out well.

All in all I am very happy with my purchase, which is a good thing considering I probably use it for 2+ hours cumulative per day during the week, and occasionally on the weekend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gentle and Quiet Pump, January 20, 2011
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump (Baby Product)
This is my second pump. I first used a hospital grade pump with my last child and used the Medela accessories with it. After researching these pumps, I went with the Ameda pump. I love it! I can't believe how small it is and how easy it is to clean. I love this!!!!

Here are my likes/dislikes:

1. Pump is very gentle on breast. I use the standard size flange.

2. Very easy to sterilize. I just put my parts under super hot water for 30 seconds.

3. I like how you can put the standard size bottles into the pump holder and they will not tip over.

4. The pump is small and QUIET! You don't feel like a cow with all of the noise (like my last pump)

5. Very easy to pump into storage bags. Ameda storage bags do not use twist ties (YAY!)

6. I use the Avent bottles because I researched that they are best for breastfed babies. Avent sells an adapter that twits into the pump so that I can pump right into the bottle ($12)

7. I can purchase all the parts at my local Babies R Us in case something breaks.

8. I would recommend the Carry All instead of the Ultra to save money. The Ultra just comes with all these extra flanges (great if you have larger nipples) and a bigger bag. I'd rather save $80.

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional, but the d@#m BEEPING NOISE, June 14, 2011
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I would rate this as a 3 and 1/1 or 3 and 3/4 if I could....

The main advantages that sold me on this were:
-cleanup is fairly simple (no need to remove and clean the inside of the hoses)
-it really is very portable and the backpack with padded compartment is great to protect it from damage in transport
-the variable funnels of different sizes for your breast is not available with Medela
-the suction is ok, not as good as the hospital grade, but way better than a hand-pump (and I don't have a huge milk supply), once I got over my disappointment that it didn't work 100% as well as the hospital grade one.
-the rep did replace the motor compartment immediately when I thought it was a dud, due to the pinging noise (see below)
-I can pump directly into my Dr. Brown's bottles that my baby drinks out of, and thus only have to wash 1 set of bottles.

However, things that I wish I'd known:
-the FREAKING PINGING AND GRINDING NOISE WITH EACH PUMP OF THE MOTOR!!!!! There is a hugely annoying, and loud, two- part-noise, a grind and beep with each suction and release. My friends all comment that sounds like someone groaning "oh-oh" to a beeping sing-along. I put a mushable throw-pillow over top of it when using it, in order to dampen the noise. It drove me nuts initially, but I have gotten somewhat used to it. Luckily, my baby sleeps through most anything.
-the funnels aren't perfect, you do need to use both hands and frequently re-adjust how it is sucking your nipple
-the suction is slightly lower when using the dual funnels, versus just one
-a month after using it and having slightly sore nipples after pumps, it works to have high suction and speed to get your let-down and then turn down the suction a tad and you really do get as much milk as if you'd left it on high all along...
-the replacement parts that you need as part of regular use may not be as easy to purchase locally, specifically a little flange and a diaphragm, while Medela parts are reportedly available at BabiesRUs. I just ordered a bunch via the internet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still prefer my old Medela, December 4, 2011
Casey (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I was given this pump as a gift when my 2nd was born a few months ago. I still have my old Medela Pump in Style from my first, so my review will be comparing the two since i have never used any other pumps. I've been using the 2 concurrently (one is upstairs and the other downstairs) so I feel I have a pretty good grasp of the pros and cons of each. Basically, here is what I like and dislike about the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra:

LIKES:
1. I love that the pump is separate from the bag. Makes things SO much easier when taking it out and putting it away.
2. Love the bag! Oversized so you can fit all of your other "gear" and looks like a cute purse. I would even consider using it after I'm done with the pump. It's also more discreet than the Medela bag. I feel like any woman who has ever pumped could spot that Medela bag with the goofy zipper pocket in the front from a mile away.
3. The bottle holders on the top of the pump are great! They fit the Ameda bottles perfectly, and the Dr Browns 4oz bottles fit in their as well. The 8oz bottles are too big though. Regardless though, it's nice to have a place to *safely* set your bottles at the end of a session while you put yourself back together.
4. The tubes have a more secure fit in the Ameda pump. There is a plastic adapter that goes from the tube to the pump, which avoids the issue of the tubes expanding like with the Medela.
5. I like that this is a closed system, so no milk ever touches any of the tubing. This eliminates the issue many people have with the Medela of condensation in the tubes.
6. The pump comes with multiple flange sizes. This was not an issue for me, but I could see this being a selling point to those who need it.

DISLIKES:
1. Even the fastest setting is WAY slower than the Medela "let down" setting. The idea with the Ameda is to start with the fastest setting until your milk "lets down" and then move to a slower setting. Unfortunately, I find myself just leaving it on the fastest setting the whole time because it is not fast. At all. The Medela automatically starts with a really fast setting and then slows down after a minute or two. I much prefer that.
2. it often takes 30 seconds or so to really start sucking. It's strange because you find yourself wondering if you are missing a part or something, and then all of the sudden it kicks in. I still haven't figured out why.
3. Too many parts. After each session, you have to take and rinse 3 different parts to the flanges. I'm not a big fan of this and prefer the Medela, which has everything put together into one piece.

All in all, both pumps are excellent and I will continue to use both until my daughter weans. However, I find myself preferring the Medela, since it seems as though I get more milk in a shorter amount of time with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pump, especially for price, December 26, 2012
Lindsey (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I researched a lot of pumps and ultimately chose this one based on price and the recommendation of a lactation consultant and the book Baby Bargains. Aside from the great price, I was sold on the closed system. Not having so many parts to clean each time has been great. I debated buying the Purely Yours but decided on the Ultra since it was on sale at the time and the PY was not.

First, the pump itself seems to be the same between the PY and the PYU. It's worked well for me for 3 months and I've been pretty much pumping exclusively since my daughter was 2 weeks old. The suction is good, the adjustable speed is good--I use Ameda's recommendation to find a suction that works for me and start at high speed to get a letdown then go to a slower speed to get more milk from each suck. Works great.

The Ultra I purchased had a nice tote which looks just like a work bag, 6 bottles and 3 ice packs in a nice cooler which looks like a lunch bag, all pump parts plus an extra set of valves and 3 different sized flanges, a manual hand pump adapter and 2 milk storage bags with an adapter to pump directly into the bags (I don't do this because the bag volume is unreliable but it's nice to have it). I've seen reviews where people got car adapters with theirs which I didn't get--wish I did though.

I ended up using the standard size flanges but it was really nice to have the different sizes to test out and get the right fit. It's also nice having the extra valves because they can tear easily and your pump is worthless without them. The bottles are of good quality and the nipples from Evenflo and Dr. Brown bottles fit on them. The tote isn't anything fancy or high quality but it's professional looking and big enough to hold everything that comes with the PYU plus a bunch of breast pads, nipple cream, storage bags, a feeding cover and more.

The best part was having the manual adapter included. It is FAR easier to use the manual pump when we're traveling or going out for the night. It fits easily in my purse and is super simple to use in the car or a bathroom. But, it's real value was realized when the pump fell off the table and the tube adapter broke. Even the breastfeeding specialty stores around me don't carry this as a spare part so I had to use the manual pump for a few days while the spare was being delivered. It worked great!

But that leads me to the one downside of this pump: spare parts are much harder to come by in brick and mortar stores compared to Medela parts and if you break something, the pump is kaput until you get a new part. Do yourself a favor and get a spare parts kit before anything breaks so you're prepared. I got a full set (4 valves, 2 diaphragms, 2 tubes and a tube adapter) for $20 on Amazon fulfilled by Mom and Baby store and they were days ahead of their estimated shipping. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really impressed so far, December 12, 2013
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump (Baby Product)
Ok, so I agonized over which breast pump to buy. Seriously. I made a decision on a crib, a stroller, a carseat, etc. etc. within a day, but spent weeks researching breast pumps. For one, you can't return these puppies, and they are really expensive. You spend a lot of time with your breast pump, and there are conflicting ideas about them and devotees to every brand.

My disclaimer: I have been using the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra for a month, so I can't speak to the longevity of the pump--I use it every day - but usually just once. I breastfeed and supplement with formula, and I work part-time in an office and part-time at home (hence only pumping once).

I love this pump. I may update my review later if I remember and am so inclined, but as of now--I love it. I have not used the Medela pumps, but unless something goes horribly wrong with the Ameda, I am in the Ameda camp indefinitely. Here's what I like:

- The pump isn't loud. I have read reviews that say it is, but it's barely louder than my baby's swing and certainly not so loud that people outside my office can hear me pump.

- The Ultra comes with a few sizes of breast flanges - the part that actually goes on your boob. This is important, since the size of flange you need depends on the size of your nipple, not the size of your boob. The size of your nipple can change after your milk comes in, so estimating what size you'll need beforehand is kind of pointless. I actually bought extra flanges in different sizes because I was concerned about the flange issue, but I was good with what the kit came with. I'd just start with what's included.

- The milk storage system is great. Bottles are great, cooler bag works really well - no complaints.

- The speed and suction dials are awesome. Some days I can handle more suction than others, and I love being able to control the pump that way. I have no complaints with the strength of the suction.

- The deciding factor for me in choosing Ameda (and something I LOVE now) is that it is a closed system. Most Medela pumps (not the hospital grade) are open system - meaning the milk gets into the machinery more. (I don't know, I forget the details - I'm operating on little sleep, people.) Closed system means you have fewer parts to clean after every use and (big plus) that you can use the pump with another baby. We plan on having more kids, and I didn't want to buy a new pump for each one. Technically, manufacturers recommend not reusing an open system pump--even if you buy new tubing, etc. for it. Something to keep in mind. Oh, and if you are lazy like me, having fewer parts to clean after every use is a bonus.

What I'd recommend doing if you spring for the Ameda:

- Get the Purely Yours Ultra, not just the pump alone. I loved the extra gear and have found it useful.

- Order accessories now - valves, tubing, adapters, etc. Have an extra set of everything on-hand in case something gets broken or torn. Several sellers here on Amazon have accessory packs for the Purely Yours - grab one now and keep it in your pumping bag.

UPDATE 4/14: Still using this 1-2x per day. I was away from baby for 24 hours 2 different times and used the pump a bunch those days. Working perfectly and I LOVE that you don't need to clean so many parts after each use! Can't recommend highly enough.

UPDATE 6/15: Still using this 1-2x per day and loving it. Suction is still fantastic. One thing I think could be a problem for some is that you are doing minor assembly each time you use the pump. There is a valve that goes in the bottom of the flange, a plastic diaphragm that goes in the top, and tubing that is plugged into the side and capped on the top of the flange. If any one of these parts is not on properly, your suction will be crappy. Assembling the pump for use has taken me less than 60 seconds each time I use it, but you need to double check your work if you suddenly have suction issues.

I cannot recommend this pump enough, though. I have used it in my car in a parking garage when I had no place to pump and was at an all-day work conference. It worked great wonderfully with the car adapter. The cooler bag works like a champ so I have never needed a fridge for pumped milk, and the accessories that the Purely Yours Plus come with are absolute necessities if you are a working mom. If you had a hands free pumping bra, you could literally plug this thing in and use it hands free while in your car. I am so glad I went with this instead of one of the Medelas.

5.0 out of 5 stars You're pumping your breasts people!, March 27, 2013
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump (Baby Product)
Oh my goodness. After reading the negative reviews about the noise this makes (what, do you want it to sing to you? It's pumping in a rhythmic manner, why wouldn't it make a rhythmic sound?) and how it doesn't work (it does...I assure you) I have to remind myself that you can always find someone who will say something bad about anything.

This pump is great. I can pump 3-4 ounces in 10-15 minutes with no discomfort whatsoever. The people who used it on maximum power, that is your problem (maybe one of many...incorrect flange size can also contribute to milk letdown problems). If you read a breastfeeding book, it will give you recommendations about pumping and the best way to get your breasts to let down milk is to have the pump simulate the baby. Does your baby come and jump up and down on your boobs to get the milk out? Why then would you put a pump on full power? This has dials for speed and suction. I put it on a higher speed at the beginning until my milk lets down and then slow the speed way down to simulate baby's different sucking speeds. I don't even turn the suction up halfway. I love that I get no moisture in the tubes or other parts and it works just as well plugged into the AC adapter in my car. That is the only way we get anywhere these days...I pump in the car (while my husband drives) and then give her a bottle while she's in her car seat.

I could care less about the noise this things makes as it's doing exactly what my baby and I need. I would highly recommend this pump!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works For Me, August 3, 2013
shaw evans (Colorado Springs, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump (Baby Product)
My wife wanted me to post the following about her experience with the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump:

I have used this pump for 5 1/2 months. I exclusively pump which means on average, I've pumped 6 - 9 times per day for at least 30 minutes each time. I'm currently pumping 20oz - 23oz total per day. I've used both the 25mm flange and the Flexishield. Both are equally comfortable and worked well for me.

I've been very happy with this pump. It's compact, all the parts have held up well (including the valves - I've read that people have had problems with them breaking in short periods of time, but I haven't. I'm still using the originals that came with the pump), and it's easy to clean (I just rinse off the parts with cool water after pumping, and once a week I wash the flanges with hot soapy water, then put all the parts through the sanitizing cycle of my dishwasher - without detergent). It's easy to get set up and put together. One person mentioned that she had to fiddle with the white caps to get the suction to be right, but I've never had that issue.

I've used the car power supply adapter several times and it works great. On batteries, my first pump worked just the same as it did on AC power. My second pump (see below) sometimes sounds weird during a cycle. It works, but the weird sound makes me nervous, so I avoid using it on battery power.

The overall sound the pump makes isn't an issue for me. Sure, I wish it were quieter and didn't sound like the Aflac duck, but it's not a big deal. You can always put a pillow or blanket on top of it to deaden the noise if it bothers you that much.

The one problem I did have was that after 4 to 4 1/2 months of using the pump, I noticed the suction was diminishing and I kept having to turn the suction dial up higher to maintain the same level of suction I had been getting. I started hand expressing after each session and got 1 - 2oz more each time, obviously indicating that the pump wasn't being totally effective. Unfortunately, I didn't call Ameda at that point. Instead, I waited until my pump lost suction completely...on a Friday afternoon...at 4:30...mountain time. I called customer service right away, but since Ameda is on eastern time and they're closed on the weekends, I couldn't get a hold of them until Monday. When I did, customer service was great. They took me through a troubleshooting list, determined that something was wrong with the motor, and overnighted me a new pump (pump unit only). Over the weekend I had to use the manual pump that came with the Purely Yours Ultra. It was easy to use (yes, my hands got fatigued, but that's to be expected), and it did such a good job that I think it was a factor in my supply increasing.

During the three weeks that I've used it, the new pump seems to be working well (aside from the battery power issue mentioned above). I've tried hand expressing a few times after my pumping sessions, but I get very little which indicates this pump is doing a good job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than other brands, October 16, 2012
This review is from: Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I have never left a review before, but I wanted to help other people to be informed when they are buying a breast pump as it can be stressful and may cause problems for your little one (and yourself) if you do not make the right choice...
At first I decided to buy The First Years pump MiPump (lower cost), because I wasn't sure how much I would need to pump. Turned out I've had to pump a lot. The tubing did get mold in it and it started to not pump just after the 3 month warranty expired. I then read reviews on a different pumps and decided to buy the Philips Avent pump and found that it did not have good suction (especially compared to the first inexpensive The First Years MiPump we bought) and it had so many little pieces to clean (I returned it). I then ordered a second The First Years MiPump and found that its suction was much lower than the pump that I had that was breaking...
I then decided to step it up to the better quality pumps and looked at either Ameda Purely Yours Ultra or Medela which were reviewed on the internet as being in the same category. After looking through all the reviews and their websites, I found that Medela did not provide simple things like car charger and many accessories, unless you purchased them separately... I wound up buying and loving Ameda for the following reasons: The pump came in a kit with everything included ... it came with car charger, wall charger, and can be battery operated ... the kit also included 3 different sizes of breast shields so you don't have to play games ordering extras to try to find the right fit. The pump is designed with very few parts to clean and it has a diaphragm that keeps it from sucking in anything back into the lines of pump, which makes it so mold can't grow in the lines (unlike Medela, or The First Years MiPump, and this also makes it so the pump can not get anything sucked into the pump mechanism (This makes sense if you want to keep your pump lasting longer; I also liked the very flexible quality tubing. I also loved the cooler pack and 6 bottles with 3 ice packs for on the go. The carrying case is very high quality and looks good. The pump also has a built in holder for the bottles which makes it so I don't have to worry about spilling any milk when I try to put the bottles on the table or on a floor. Oh, also the bottles that the pump uses are the exact same bottles as what you can buy at any store for cheap, unlike all the other companies that try to make money off that too. And I love the fact that this pump has 2 manual adjustments so that I can adjust the suction with one knob and the frequency or speed of the pumping with the other knob, so that I can adjust it to get the best flow. So far I like this pump and would recommend it to anyone that wants a high quality pump with all the extras you will need.

Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump