Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Amelia to Zora: Twenty-Six Women Who Changed the World
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 29, 2005
There's the familiar, expected, notable women--the flier Amelia Earhart, the black author Zora Neale Hurston, the artist Frida Kahlo, the philanthropist Eleanor Roosevelt. But there's also a number of accomplished lesser-known women and ones who have achieved recognition in recent years who are not yet seen as regulars in the circle of historically significant women. Thus, one finds the architect Maya Lin and the figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi. Outstanding women from diverse ethnic backgrounds and active in diverse fields, from labor unions to science to entertainment, are included in the twenty-six for each letter of the alphabet. Each woman is pictured in a collage-like illustration with objects representing what she is recognized for.
on February 27, 2008
When planning for elementary grades, it's been difficult for me to unearth well-written picture books about women who have made a difference in the world as we know it. I hit pay dirt when someone gave me this book to use as a resource for a unit studying the changes people make in the social world. The women depicted in this alphabet book are from many nations, many eras, and many cultures. They've all led different lives and have made unique contributions to entire societies around the globe: art, science, literature, aviation, politics...the list goes on. The illustrations are playful yet respectful and the concise stories on each page give the reader insight into the woman's personal and professional life. The author's note gives the reader a glimpse into the making of the book and the selected bibliography is arranged according to the alphabetical order of the featured women. Teachers and parents should not pass by this rich and rare glimpse of truly phenomenal women.
on December 31, 2013
First I gave it to my daughter in law in hopes she'd teach young girls about positive role models, then I purchased the soft cover for my other grand daughter who loves it. It's well written, and nicely illustrated. Don't pass on this book, it's a must for young girls.
on January 29, 2016
I bought this for my 9 year old granddaughter. Women issues are very important to me and I wanted a means t o pass this on to my granddaughter! She is coming for a visit in two months and I will give it to her then. It will be great to share this with her and talk about the women. There is such a variety of women chosen! I was impressed.
on June 8, 2013
Fantastic Book! I xeroxed three copies of each page because I was the presenter for Women's History Month. A xerox copy went up on the wall after I read the woman of the day. We have community meeting in the morning and I had two students walking up and down the corridor showing the page to students as I was reading it. Teachers thought the book was excellent!
on August 3, 2013
I'm a teacher. This is great book to read to children because it teaches diversity. Everyone can be proud of who they are.
on January 15, 2007
Interesting book with great pictures. 8 and under will enjoy this.
on October 31, 2006
We love this book! Cynthia makes it really enjoyable. Sean and Megan make the book come alive. We are HUGE SEAN ADDY FANS! Check out his work on "Cars: Rushing! Honking! Zooming!", he is truly an amazing artist. Cannot wait for his next book and to someday meet him.
on January 8, 2014
My 7-year-old daughter loves hearing about these amazing women; this is one of her favorite books! The artwork is unique and interesting and the range of personalities is well thought out.
on February 12, 2014
Great conversation starter for young men and women. Good biographical information which hopefully ignites desire for further learning and inspiration.