4.0 out of 5 stars (Two Styles!) Functional, Long-Lasting, 2 issues...
UPDATE (Dec 2012): There are currently two different images in this listing. I have owned and consistently used both versions of the lights for several years. They are activated several times per day, each day, as they are in interior halls of my home. Both styles still work, several years after purchasing them.

If you compare the two pics that are currently...
Published on October 14, 2011 by MariaSmiles

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great, light given off is wimpy
Published 24 months ago by Mike Swerczek

4.0 out of 5 stars (Two Styles!) Functional, Long-Lasting, 2 issues..., October 14, 2011
This review is from: AmerTac 73092CC LED Motion-Activated Nite Lite (Tools & Home Improvement)

If you compare the two pics that are currently posted for this product, you will see one has a triangle look to it, while the other has a half-oblong look to it. I have both styles. I like the half-oblong looking one better, due to two issues I have with the triangle one (see below).

Both take up most of the outlet panel, but the half-oblong seems to be better "behaved" and ONLY turns on when there is detectable motion. The triangle one seems to have calmed down a bit in this area, but will still turn on occasionally when no motion is made. Also, the half-oblong one is a warmer white, while the triangle one is a cooler white.

Overall, I am happy with both. The below PROs & CONs apply to both, unless otherwise noted:

PROS:
- LED (saves, energy, money, and does not get hot)
- Bright enough, but not overly bright
- motion detection (on when you move)*
- not completely utilitarian-looking, somewhat decorative
- not distractingly fancy, while also not being "cheap" looking
- half-oblong version can be plugged into a top outlet and the bottom (skinnier part) reaches the mid-way point of the outlet (where the screw is), allowing full clearance for a large plug/wart/adapter to be plugged into the bottom outlet.

UN-PROs (not quite CONS):
- no light "direction", just illuminates surrounding area (not bad, but can be if you want light to only light the floor, etc.)

These apply ONLY to the TRIANGLE version:
- pretty much takes up the space of two electrical outlets (plug into one, unit needlessly blocks both). I do have an LED nightlight (see GE link below) that is designed to cover whole outlet wall plate and looks really cool, this is not that type of design. If they had shortened the skinny part just a little bit, the other outlet would still have been able to be accessible. NOTE: one commenter noted that they can use the other outlet. I have tried this and it only works with standard-sized plugs and, IMHO, aesthetically, it looks "crowded". The half-oblong version does NOT have this issue.
- *turns on when there's no motion (often - it's creepy)
- light a little "cooler" than I prefer (and cooler/bluer than my other LEDs) - the half-oblong is a somewhat noticeably warmer white

Despite the additional "UN-PROs", I still do like the triangle version, and would give it a robust 3 stars, knocking 2 off for poor case design and the mysterious random on feature. I would give the half-oblong version 5 stars. So, since both are currently in the listing, I average them at 4 stars.

INFO ADDED:
For comparison, I also have, and, depending on your application, can recommend:
Cooper Lighting HS8 90-Degree Motion-Activated Night Light
GE 11258 Nightlight LED Candle Plastic Faux Bronze Finish Auto On/Off
Mr. Beams MB852 Wireless Motion Sensing LED Under Cabinet Light, White, 2-Pack
Mr. Beams MB723 Battery-Powered Motion-Sensing LED Stick-Anywhere Nightlight, 3-Pack
Among several other LED lighting products (bulbs, lanterns, flashlights, headlamps, outdoor, ribbon, etc).

At this point, it's hard to say which area/nightlight in this list is my favorite, as it depends on the application. I really like the Cooper Lighting HS8, for its high brightness and soft fade off feature. The two in this listing are nice because they are not too bright, but each light up a short hall in my home, offering increased safety, and since they plug-in, I don't have to think about batteries. The GE 11258 is great as it adds a nice decorative touch to the guest bathroom, and I really enjoy the soft amber flickering glow. The Mr Beams MB852 is super bright and great as a "utility" light or in a closet or pantry. The MB723 is nice because the light can be easily "directed" and it's not quite as bright as the MB852's. Plus, it has a photon feature, so if there's ambient light, it won't activate. It's nice to have battery operated lights, for areas where no outlet is available. I have bought several Mr Beams products and have been happy with all of them.

I believe lighting is very important, for safety, decoration, function, convenience, and when done properly, beauty! Just like we are taught to use the right tool for the job, we need to use the right lighting for the job!

I rely on reviews here at Amazon to help me make informed buying choices. I hope this review has helped you in the same manner. If you voted this as helpful, I Thank You! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best motion detection light I have come across, for the price, June 11, 2011
I saw this first at a friend's place, and liked the looks and the soft glow that it emitted. And I thought that it did a great job on motion detection too.I was looking for a nightlight and I was sold. I bought it on Amazon through Ace Hardware, and the buying process was smooth.

While I was 'looking' for night lights, I saw a lot of 'always on' or dusk-to-dawn lights. Well, with ghost powerloss, always on didn't make sense, and I wasnt really looking for the dusk to dawn (most of which had a harsh incandescent bulb). I turned towards motion sensor (that's when I saw this at a friend's). The motion detection is awesome, it is plugged in at the far end of the room and when I walk into the room, as I near the door, it turns on. This is about 20'. And the angle of detection is good too. My bed is at 45 degrees angle to the location of the light and when I get out of bed, it comes on. My bed is raised, and movement in bed does not trigger it. Unlike some others, I have not had a problem with it not detecting room light. When the room light is on and I walk around, it stays off-until my shadow comes in line, when it turns on. It makes sense to me.

I just have one beef with it. Occasionally at night, when my ceiling fan is on, it would randomly come on and turn off soon. It stopped when I turned off the fan. While it could not have been motion of the fan itself, I think it could be the movement of bed skirt that is in its line of sight. I haven't tested it yet. It is not a design flaw, but I have to do something about it.

I recommend this product. Good buy and I have been a happy customer for quite some time now (cant remember, 6 months around).

5.0 out of 5 stars In service for two years and still working great, March 15, 2012
I bought this Amerelle 73092CC Motion Activated Geometric Decorative Nite Lite from a local hardware store exactly two years ago (just checked the purchase date I wrote on the back of the unit). The unit is plugged into a wall outlet in my living room, and it has been working just fine during this period. Contrary to what one spotlight review claims, my unit does NOT block both AC sockets when I plug it into the top slot.

The night light is activated by a passive infrared sensor. It is quite sensitive and the detection angle is relatively wide. Basically, anything that moves within 10-12 ft in front of the sensor will turn on the two LEDs. The light then turns off after ~60 seconds if no further movement is detected. Note that the night light does not turn on during daytime - as long as it is bright enough in the room.

I really like the light generated by the two LEDs. It is warm white and well diffused. This illumination is gentle on the eyes even when the light first comes on in darkness. It is much better than the harsh blue light generated by most other LED night lights.

I tried to use my P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor to measure the power consumption of this unit, but it always show '0 watt' even when the LEDs are on. That means this night light consumes less than 1 watt. So I can estimate the electricity cost for operating this light to be under $1 per year. This is much cheaper than using a 4W incandescent night light, plus I never have to replace burnt out bulbs.

All in all, I'm very happy with this motion-activated night light.

4.0 out of 5 stars Performs as advertised... mostly, January 13, 2011
I bought this night light at my local orange-lable home improvement store, and have had it plugged in for about 24 hours.

The features that attracted me to this light are the motion activation and the daylight sensor. I am, over all, pretty pleased with the motion activation. But I am disappointed in the "daylight sensor." Most light-sensing night lights I have had in past did not light up when the overhead light was turned on. This one does light up with the overhead light on. I'm wondering if it really does have to sense DAYLIGHT to keep from turning on.

My husband wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes, and will turn on a light so he can walk through the bedroom without running into things. Sometimes he is too sleepy to remember or care to turn off the lights when he comes back to bed. This night light prevented that whole scenario last night, as he did not have to turn on any lights to find his way through the room. And for that reason I am glad I bought this night light.

If the night-light's designers are taking requests, then I'd like to see this type of night light have a more directional capacity, such as pointing downward toward the floor. Having light color options would be nice, too, like red, for avoiding night-blindness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT block both outlets!!! It works fine!, April 23, 2013
Length:: 0:44 Mins

I have no idea why people are saying this light blocks both outlets because it does not!! Look, in this video I have the light plugged into a standard outlet and you can easily see the other outlet is easily usable. I'm not too sure what these people are talking about. And to those who complain about the amount of light it puts out...guys, its a NIGHTLIGHT!!! It's designed to give you just enough light to see where you are going in a completely dark room, not light up the room like a lightbulb! And of course to those complaining about the light staying on all the time, even if it does, the cost of running 2 LED's for a year is counted in the pennies, so it doesn't matter anyway. My lights go off and come on perfectly fine, but for those whose lights stay on, who cares??

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great, light given off is wimpy, December 26, 2012
Mike Swerczek (Omaha, NE United States) - See all my reviews
I bought these lights based upon the reviews and the price. I thought they would work well in our sparsely lit hall and bathroom. Once I received them, I was dismayed at the very dim light emitted from them. The LED's on this light must be first generation from 10 years ago. The light is not crisp, but dim, very dim. It did not put light out enough to make a difference in the hallway, especially. Our hallway is not grand or large, but long. We have always had an incandescent light here, and it has worked great. I would not recommend this light because it isn't enough to warrant the expense. These would work well in a very small room, like a tiny bathroom.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stays On During Day, May 23, 2011
Light looks just like picture, very stylish, but doesn't function as described. The desciption says it will not stay on during the day because of the light sensor but that isn't the case for the light I received. I tried plugging nightlight into 4 different outlets with varying degrees of sunlight in the rooms and nothing made the light turn off (and yes, I left the light in the room for over 2 minutes each time and was careful not to get close enough to trigger the motion sensor.) I even tried plugging into a bathroom outlet during the day and turning on all the lights in the bathroom- the light still stayed on. Contacted seller and they sent replacement but the replacement has the same issue- it never turns off! Total waste of money especially because seller doesn't refund for shipping and that was more expensive than the light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite motion detector "night" light, September 4, 2010
---------------------------------------------------------------
REVIEW FROM 2010:

This motion detector light has everything it is supposed to:
1) It is a light (and nicely bright)
2) It comes on when there is motion (it turns on very quickly when you come in the room)
3) It has lasted 3 years without failing

I have this and another motion detector light that is now discontinued. I was looking to buy a few more and realized there werent any reviews.

I'll never understand why anyone uses an "always on" light over these, they are awesome.
---------------------------------------------------------------
REVIEW UPDATE 5/2012:

One of the lights I purchased started randomly turning on at times. It still detects when someone is there as well, but it may be oversensitive.

No regrets still though, the family loves having lights in the hall, bathroom, kitchen for at night. It is actually nice to get a glass of water or something and not have to turn on a light.

1.0 out of 5 stars wish it worked properly, June 20, 2012
I like how it looks, and I like the idea of a light sensor (photocell) and a motion sensor in one unit so it's not on while we're sleeping. Thought it would be worth the $7. Except it doesn't work.

#1 - When I get up in the morning, the light turns ON when it senses my motion (yeah, it's supposed to do that). But when I flip a light switch ON, the nite lite still stays ON. And it stays ON the whole time I'm moving around until there has been no motion for 60 seconds. On the flip side...if there is a light ON in the room and the nite lite has turned OFF because of no motion, then the nite lite will remain OFF (like it's supposed to).

#2 - The motion sensor range is a little too vertical for my preference. We put the nite lite 5 feet from our bed (standard height, pillow top), and when my husband moved in his sleep the light would be activated, illuminating the entire room. That got annoying really fast.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't stay on, January 26, 2014
I have been using these for a while and would not recommend them. They basically come come when there is movement but immediately turn off. They do not stay on for any time. I would think I had a defective one but I have 2 and they both act this way.

AmerTac 73092CC LED Motion-Activated Nite Lite