5.0 out of 5 stars America, Why I Love Her
My late father, John Mitchum wrote nine of the ten poems on this wonderful CD.He was nominated for a Grammy in 1973 when the album first was released.
John Mitchum was able to hear about the strong response to the re-release of the CD November of 2001 before his passing. Both of the "John's" were heartfelt patriots with a deep love for our country.
The...
Published on September 22, 2002 by cindy mitchum

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my wisest purchase
I am a HUGE Duke fan so when I visited the museum of his birthplace in Winterset, Iowa today I purchased this CD. I'd been wanting it so I only balked slightly at the $30.00 price tag. Not worth that much but well worth $15.00.
Published 21 days ago by Pen Name

5.0 out of 5 stars America, Why I Love Her, September 22, 2002
cindy mitchum (Santa Barbara, CA) - See all my reviews
The title poem, America,Why I Love Her has been used in opening
ceremonies for rodeos, state fairs, NASCAR events, as well as military and private meetings.
With the wave of patriotism that has taken over the country, a campaign has begun to have the timeless piece of America, Why I Love become our National Poem.
I was told after the awful days of 9-11 that the words on this CD were the healing balm for our country.
Bless all of you who listen to and appreciate John Wayne's interpretation of my father's thoughts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Plain-Spoken Truths, October 10, 2001
Terry Knapp (Santa Rosa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
There is something reassuring about hearing John Wayne speak the words of Robert Mitchum's younger brother John. The sentiments are simple, yet honestly spoken and obviously from the heart. The familiar and unique cadence of Wayne's voice is as American as a Frederick Remington painting. I first owned this album on cassette in the early 1980's and to find it finally issued on CD during our hour of crisis has been a god-send. I did not always agree with Wayne politically, but this statement of human values will remain a cherished keepsake.

5.0 out of 5 stars America, Why I Love Her - John Wayne, September 23, 2005
D. Diehl (Grass Valley, Ca. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: America, Why I Love Her (Audio CD)
How can you not love American poetry recorded by that distinctive voice of the Duke, one of the greatest and most patriotic Americans to ever live?! Sure, the poetry isn't the best, perhaps even corny at times. Certainly you can hear his age and declining health in his voice, but it's still the Duke!

I love this CD and it is now one of my favorites, just as his movies are among my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars John Mitchum - author of "America Why I Love Her", September 22, 2002
Ermal Williamson (Newport Beach, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: America, Why I Love Her (Audio CD)
John Mitchum was a prolific poet as well as an actor and story teller. From the moment I met him, he seemed to tenaciously cling to his one favorite poem, "America, Why I Love Her", though he wrote many others as well or better.
With his brother, Robert, he once traveled across America as a hobo and got to see America where most Americans have never dreamed of going. It is through this poem that he shares with us his vision of America.
What could be better than to have his pictographic and historic words blend with the voice of John Wayne to give America a heritage so rich in culture and diversified in truths.
God bless John Wayne for lending his voice and talents to record this wonderful message. God bless John Mitchum for writing the words for Americans to have forever.
God bless America!
Ermal Walden Williamson - Author, Actor, John Wayne Look-alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful album by John Wayne and a best seller as well, February 25, 2002
Bradley Olson (Bemidji, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: America, Why I Love Her (Audio CD)
Marion Morrison, a.k.a. John Wayne, recorded this wonderful album that peaked at #66 on the Billboard album chart and stayed on the charts for 16 weeks when it was released on RCA LSP-4828 in 1973 during the height of Watergate and the final days of the Vietnam war. This album has 10 wonderful poems written by John Mitchum including the title track and 9 other classics including Why Are You Marching Son? which is another standout track in this classic heartfelt album. When it was released there was a tie-in book available but as of this writing, the book is out of print, but you can find a used copy available on the Internet if you are lucky to look at the Auctions and zShops available here, and also at Advanced Book Exchange and eBay or wait until the book is reissued, if it will be reissued. If you are an American Patriot, a collector, a film buff, a poetry fan, or a John Wayne fan, this is a must have for your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Spangled Awesome, August 6, 2006
This review is from: America, Why I Love Her (Audio CD)
Thoughtful and inspiring. A reminder of a time when it was cool to be proud of one's country. A reflection of the idea that our country was made great by people taking pride in the great democratic process-a land of the people, by the people, and for the people.

5.0 out of 5 stars America, Why I Love Her, December 4, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: America, Why I Love Her (Audio CD)
In typical John Wayne style, he talks of all the pride and reasons he loves America. We owned this album on original 8 track tape and are estatic that it was re-released. Especially in these times, this CD will touch the hearts of many Americans. No one with even a little pride in this great nation will come away with less than goose bumps and a sense of oneness. A great album then and NOW>

5.0 out of 5 stars John Wayne! What can I say?, May 29, 2003
This review is from: America, Why I Love Her (Audio CD)
The title cut on this album is worth every penny you pay. There was no one like John Wayne. He was a man who loved his country and was not shy about saying so. He says what he thinks and this album refects his feelings. Just listen to his voice and you can hear how he feels.

5.0 out of 5 stars America - Why Everyone Should Love Her, December 7, 2001
This review is from: America, Why I Love Her (Audio CD)
When my wife and I married, 20 years ago, her family had a large collection of record albums and she was given her choice. She selected those which were most memorable from her childhood - a lot of nursery rhyme sing-a-longs, several comedies (Bill Cosby) and "America - Why I Love Her", by John Wayne.
I'd never heard it, and my first thought was, "I didn't know the Duke could sing." Of course, on this album, he doesn't "sing", but he does a wonderful job of reading poetry in such a way that it comes across like conversation - like he's simply sharing his own thoughts about America.
Some of the selections brought tears to my eyes. Others a heart-felt "Amen"! All were wonderful and extremely well done. As my own sons (now 17 & 19) grew, they both began to leave those old nursery rhyme records behind in favor of John Wayne. In a very real sense, the selections on "America - Why I Love Her" helped to shape their patriotic souls. Today, they are fine young men, ready to answer their country's call, if need be. They may not be sure of what they want to do with their lives, but they are sure that they are Americans - and proud of it.
I do not own the CD, but I imagine that it's even better than our old record. Can't wait to get it and share it with all my family this Christmas! I recommend it to one and all!
Roy Payne
Clinton, MO

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums on patriotic music made., July 19, 2006
This review is from: America, Why I Love Her (Audio CD)
The album is one of the best ever made showing what it is to be an American. John Wayne reading the stuff makes it the classic which should be played on every radio station in the country. The album reminds everyone that we are one nation and have common roots.

I remember hearing the album back in 1973 when it 1st came out and had to get the cd. I recommend this to any one who is patriotic and wants to show the politically correct they are wrong.

America, Why I Love Her
America, Why I Love Her by John Wayne (Audio CD - 2001)