5.0 out of 5 stars An Eye Opener
Published on August 2, 2003 by Chuck O.

3.0 out of 5 stars American Air Rifles
Published on February 24, 2006 by Rodger W. Granlund

5.0 out of 5 stars An Eye Opener, August 2, 2003
Chuck O. (New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Air Rifles (Paperback)
Prior to reading this book, I only dealt with expensive air guns. What I found was that I am spending way too much money on expensive air rifles and here's why. The American made airguns produce velocities as close as the most expensive air rifles. What I found was that the most expensive guns were overrated with inflated velocities and the American guns were more factual, when it came to rating velocity. This book opened my eyes and now I came to love some of the American made airguns and use this book as a reference all the time. I can't seem to get enough of this book and wish the author came out with a second book. Since reading this book, I have purchased american air rifles and to my amazement the guns have been better velocity and repair wise, than some of the overrated expensive Euopean airguns. A very thorough book to read, on American Air Rifles. It is an "Eye Opener"

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide to American Air Rifles, September 24, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: American Air Rifles (Paperback)
This is by far the best book for beginners and intermediate users of air rifles that I have seen so far. Lots of practical information on the selection and use of pellets and rifles. The author has a way of explaining some difficult topics in ballistics that makes the material useful to the non expert. I was also suprised to find out how accurate and powerful American air rifles are. The only additions I would have liked to have seen in the book are, 1) A chapter on shooting technique (target and hunting. and 2) A chapter on maintenance and lubrication. I would highly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars American Air Rifles, February 24, 2006
This review is from: American Air Rifles (Paperback)
This book is an excellent introduction to air rifles, pellets and the ballistics of air rifles. It would serve as a good guide to someone interested in purchasing an air rifle for hunting or plinking. The cover indicates that it covers target shooting, small-game hunting, complete ballistics and pellet selection. The latter three items are covered. However, there is essentially no information on target shooting or rifles designed for target shooting. I realize that the book is limited to American air rifles, but at least the Daisy Avanti models could have been included. There was also a lack of discussion of triggers, a critical rifle component for accurate shooting. I would have rated the book at least 4 stars, if it had not given the impression on the front cover that it included target shooting and target rifles, which was the reason that I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband's love of airguns(all guns)., August 13, 2005
This review is from: American Air Rifles (Paperback)
I purchased this book for my husband who loves airguns(all guns), hence the title. He would not put that book down until he read the whole thing! Especially about the Benjamin 392, which is his personal favorite(if you could pin him down to choose a favorite). In his own words,"It is the best book written on American made pneumatic "pump-up" Air rifles that he has read to date. It has plenty of statistics on fps and fpe and pellet accuracy just to name a few. Also great info on small game hunting using "magnum" powered airguns". I am very pleased with my husband's pleasure with this book and I would imagine any airgun buff/collector would not be complete with a copy for his/her library.

Sincerely,

S.Morales-SAN JOSE,CA

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good guide but getting long-in-the-tooth, March 1, 2007
This review is from: American Air Rifles (Paperback)
The information in this book is now 5-6 years old and, in this age of product volatility, a lot of the mentioned rifles are no longer available. There's more here than you probably want to know when it comes to ballistics--I just skip the technical parts. As a casual airgun shooter, I'm really not too interested in the finer points involving physics. What House did in this book was to investigate a subject that is mostly ignored. He reviewed relatively inexpensive American multi-pump air rifles in the context of how they perform in relation to the more sophisticated, expensive--and decidedly less shooter-friendly--European rifles. His conclusion is somewhat astonishing in finding that the American rifles offer a lot of accuracy and utility for a reasonable price.

After reading this book, I felt obliged to dust off my old Daisy and give it a try at 10 meters. Unfortunately, it's been abused and neglected for well over 10 years and the whole barrel assembly was too loose to even attempt to use it again. I again consulted House and went out and picked up a Benjamin 392 that has proven to be a real joy. Every pellet I've tried gives substantially less than .5" groups at 10 meters even in my fairly unsteady hands and with my aging eyes.

The Crosmans, Daisies, Benjamins and Sheridans will never have the following or accolades of the finely crafted spring-piston European models but this book goes a long way in giving them the respect they deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives inexpensive American Airguns their due..., August 8, 2008
This review is from: American Air Rifles (Paperback)
I've been an avid airgunner since the '70s and now own between 40 and 50 different airguns to include many that are discussed in this book...

This book is (I believe), the 6th airgunning book that I've bought for my personal library and is at least as enjoyable to read as any of the others.

Many studies on the airgun tend to dwell overmuch on the more expensive, European offerings and dismiss inexpensive, domestic pneaumatics as little more than toys. Knowledgeable airgunners know better!

As a teenager, I bagged a truckload of small game with an old Crosman 766 "American Classic" here in central Texas... this book took me straight back to simpler times.

Finally, American made 'pumpers' are getting the thoughtful examination that they deserve!

I found the book to be very informative and find myself referencing the chapters and tables over and over again.

I have two of John Walter's excellent, if out-of-print airgun books as well as all three issues of "The Airgun Digest", and find Mr. House's book to be easily as indespensible a reference tool as all of the others.

Every airgunner should have this book in his/her library. Well worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Informative, September 1, 2008
Jeffrey R. Elver "jeff82" (Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Air Rifles (Paperback)
This is an unusual book due to its narrow focus; low cost pneumatic air-rifles. Mr. House has provided a thoughtful well presented analysis. I particularly appreciate his discussion of ballistics and pellet comparisons. This information alone was worth the price of the book, since I use it for reference information. He also did a great job of methodically testing the power and accuracy of the air rifles he surveyed, and compared their performance to that of more costly break-barrel and PCP rifles. Nice work!

My only criticism is that his bias toward inexpensive air guns does tend to cloud his analysis a bit. But, that said, he's written a very useful book on a topic about which not much is written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, January 30, 2004
"macpartsguy" (In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Air Rifles (Paperback)
Mr. House's book on air rifles is a good informational book for the masses. It may fall short of Mr. Lumley's expectations but it is fine for the rest of us.
Mr. Lumley stoops to attacking the author and supposing his motives for writing the book. I don't think Mr. Lumley's comments are constructive nor will they scare off a thinking person.
The book has good information on air rifles and their performance.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent history book on American made airguns., January 7, 2012
This review is from: American Air Rifles (Paperback)
Gives a decent history of atrguns made in the US. A decent reference book for those who want to collect old and new American made airguns.

American Air Rifles
American Air Rifles by J. E. House (Paperback - Feb. 2002)
Used & New from: $39.91