About the Author
The American Heart Association is the nation’s premier authority on heart health. Its bestselling library of cookbooks and guides includes:
The New American Heart Association Cookbook
American Heart Association No-Fad Diet
American Heart Association Low-Salt Cookbook
American Heart Association Low-Calorie Cookbook
American Heart Association Quick & Easy Cookbook
For more information, please visit americanheart.org
or call 1-800-AHA-USA1 (1-800-242-8721).
Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.
Slow-Cooker Tuscan Chicken
Effortless meals like this one are perfect for serving either guests or family members.
• 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
• 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
• 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 2.25-ounce can sliced black olives, drained
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Discard all visible fat from the chicken. Sprinkle both sides with the basil and oregano. Put the chicken in a 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker.
Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.