Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: American Heart Association Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook, 3rd Edition: Delicious Recipes to Help Lower Your Cholesterol
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on May 17, 2007
I purchased this book because we have cholesterol issues in the family, and so far, I've made 3 or 4 recipes involving beef. They've been very dry and not visually appealing (with kids, this is important!:)) I've found most of the entrees have been time consuming to prepare as well, lots of ingredients. Truthfully, the only thing I'm enjoying from the book is the information in the beginning about cholesterol and how it affects your health- lots of great informative points on this but the recipes are just not very tasty. I also own American Heart Association's Meals in Minutes, which is much better.
on March 28, 2006
I have several low-fat, health-conscious cookbooks and this one is the best. Of course, like anything else, there are some recipes that don't quite hit the mark, but overall, I have been overwhelmingly pleased. The recipes are exremely easy to follow and call for ingedients that are generally in my cupboards and fridge anyway. The meals made with this book don't taste as though they're "diet" food - the American Heart Association has come up with a collection of recipes that incorparates fresh produce, spices, logical substitutes (tofu for riccota, for example)to ensure deliciously rich results almost every time. I've been so impressed by this book that I've ordered one for each of my sisters too!
on October 23, 2006
This book not only has great recipes, but it also provides some good information on how to help bring your Cholesterol levels back to normal. I bought this because my levels were way off. My doctor requested a diet change and regular exercise or medication. I am not a fan of medication or their side effects so I decided to go the route of a diet. I picked this up based on the reviews, and I have not been disappointed.

The only con I have to say about this book are the serving sizes. In some instances, the meals seem better suited for appetizers. However, by adding more vegetables and fiber, you will find it will fill you up.

I lost 17 lbs in 2 weeks and my Cholesterol is exactly where it needs to be. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for healthy alternatives to everyday food.
on January 26, 2006
I like home cooking-middle America style. I am a wife and mother of a school age child and a preschooler. These recipes do not use ingredients I normally have on hand and I don't think most of them would appeal to my children. If you are looking for easy quick recipes that are low fat remakes of old favorites I would recommend the cookbooks by Dawn Hall. They are all Low Fat and delicious.
Heart disease is a major cause of death among Americans (number one, in fact). As the book makes clear, the good news is that certain steps that an individual takes can measurably accept the odds of suffering from or succumbing to heart disease. One of these is by reducing fat and cholesterol in one's diet.

Some low fat and low cholesterol cooking can be very bland and disappointing. The recipes here tend to be pretty good, providing good taste as well as healthy food.

With chili, for example, use a proper oil for cooking, use lean ground sirloin, use no-salt tomato sauce (to be honest, I scarcely ever use salt in recipes, even when called for, and I haven't noticed any problems--but I also use other herbs and spices and these suffice very nicely). The result? A nice chili with lower levels of fat and cholesterol.

The same with other recipes. A little common sense with fat and cholesterol and one can end up with tasty meals that are also healthy meals. Not all recipes are necessarily equally tasty, but experimentation will tell the reader which ones to add to the repertoire of dishes that one prepares.

So, a useful cookbook. Interested in reducing fat and cholesterol? Take a look.
on February 18, 2006
Since my huband and I need to eat healthier, and both of our cholesterol is high, this book is great. It remakes all the recipes that we knew from children, into healthier recipes. The recipes are tasty, and doesn't taste low fat.
on July 20, 2006
This book offers the best source of information I've found while researching ways to lower cholesterol without medication. The recipes are truly outstanding - I've utilized it for menus for three weeks..7 days a week. I've not repeated a dish, the recipes easy to follow, the food excellent in taste. This book offers a real alternative for those who want to improve their health by natural means without feeling deprived.
on April 6, 2008
This is another good source of low fat / low cholesterol recipes. However, if you are like me and like to see photos of what you're cooking, this cookbook isn't for you. I was very disappointed that there are no photos other than the cover. When I go through a cookbook looking for a new recipe to try, if the food looks good in a photo, I want to try the recipe. I personnaly recommend the Betty Crocker Low Fat / Low Cholesterol cookbook if you want good recipes with photos.
on August 14, 2007
I am very disappointed in this cookbook. My husband and I have just begun to watch our cholesterol and we thought an American Heart Association cookbook would be a good start. Unfortunately, I've read through the entire book and can't imagine eating this way. These low fat, low cholesterol recipes are just worked over true-blue American food which is generally inedible no matter what! I'm going to look for other cookbooks and other recipes that actually have flavor, interesting ingredients, and a reason other than "low cholesterol" to make it to our dinner table.
on May 14, 2007
I have used the first AHA Low-Fat, Low Cholesterol book since its publication. Have not had this issue long enough to try many of the recipes but, frankly, have not seen many that interest me. Having had a chance to look this book over first, I would not have purchased. If you are a first-time user, perhaps you will feel differently.