Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now Tikes

on May 2, 2015
Why isn't this book on Kindle!
on February 23, 2015
Still have this book. Had to purchase it for class but never really used it.
on December 1, 2014
An excellent look at the founding fathers and the partisanship that existed even then. Regardless of your views on the period, I would suggest this book as vital to understanding the role of the Alien and Sedition Acts in how it affected the press and the growth of support for Jeffersonian Republicanism. Not for everyone as the writing is not in standard format, but considering that Rosenfeld uses not just clips for the Aurora, but also Federalist papers as well, it is a good snapshot of the times.
on August 31, 2014
An incredible read! As I read about the election where Jefferson became the next president, even though I knew who was going to win, because I learned so much about that election from this book, I read about it as if for the first time. I was on the edge of my seat.

What an amazing history we have.
on August 13, 2014
Very interesting and intriguing, large book having to do with rethorical exchanges in the era of the Constitution.
on September 12, 2013
People that whine about the politics of today need to read what it was like in the 1790's, at least we only have verbal duels
on September 7, 2013
The Federalist Party and positions are the ones that dominate our history books. This book gives us the view from the Jeffersonian side of things through the writings of the Aurora, the principle Jeffersonian news paper of the day. For anyone even a little interested in the early Federalist period and the Alien and Sedition Acts, I think this a must read. For anyone who wants to see that Fox News and the ultraconservatives did not invent. let alone publish the nastiest of, attack journalism, this shows that such divisiveness has been with us since the beginning. My thanks to Bertie Mac for recommending it.
on November 6, 2011
~American Aurora: A Democratic-Republican Returns~ recaptures the heated battles in American politics during the 1790s on the pages of newspapers in the early years of the American Republic. It was a time when passions flared, and when politics sparked heated battles. Political rhetoric remained acerbic, and there is no better insight into this reality than reading the newspapers from the time. Whether coming from the Federalist press or the Republican press, it tended to be much fanfare and hyperbole by way of criticism directed at perceived political foes. This is an anthology of primary sources, and carefully edited to recapture those struggles.
on September 9, 2011
I read this many years ago and I just referred to it today when confronted with a dear friend's lament about the state of our political discourse. The setting is Adams vs Jefferson. Vice President Jefferson, a Democrat and Vice President under Adams is running against him. Adams and the Federalists have just passed the Alien and Sedition Acts.

Ben Franklin's Grandson, a strident advocate for Jefferson, runs the Democrat newspaper, the Philadelphia Aurora and the Federalist papers based in NY are run by some really colorful characters who would make William Randolph Hearst blush with their yellow journalism. Once you have read American Aurora, you will henceforth laugh at the almost daily lament heard in today's media that America's political discourse has been coarsened. The founding fathers went for the jugular and the newspapers of the time were both vicious and mendacious.

The dueling newspapers will strike you as the FOX News and MSNBC of their day. You will learn not only that the tone of our political discourse has always been rough and tumble, but also a great deal about the history of the time. Author Richard Rosenfeld quotes copiously from the newspapers of the day and frequently reproduces the actual newspaper, which gives the reader a real feel for the vituperation they spewed. I loved this book and would highly recommend it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2009
It answers the question, "What did the next generation do with the freedom that was handed to them?" In a case where history repeats itself over and over again, encroaches on and stretches it to fit its own purposes until it tears and needs we, the People, to mend it. You can find a parallel in the WW1/20's, WW2/60's, Civil War/1890's, 1980's/ 2000's, Civil Rights/ Present Day. Each of the previous groups were times where freedom was fought for by bold men and within a generation forgotten or cast aside.

When people complain about this being the hardest and scariest time ever in our history, I laugh because that is exactly what my relatives wrote in their journals through the before mentioned time periods and it is usually coming from the people who did not live through the tough times.

American Aurora takes us back to a time when a young country that had just won its freedom and was trying to define itself. Would the President be a common man or one of nobility? Should we take sides in global issues? Should we allow the common man to rail against our current President? Who gets to decide when a line has been crossed by the "media" and who gets to decide when it can be silenced? These are questions that we still are asking today because curiously enough every man who has ever been President of the United States of American, the moment he is sworn in immediately goes to work to protect his great name.

Thus our main character is introduced, Benjamin Franklin Bache. After his grandfather's death, he is left a press. He writes several newspapers but finds success in the Aurora. He involves himself in the debates of the day and the fist of the government comes down on him through the Sedation Acts. We are also introduced to several other newsmen of the time and see BOTH sides of the issues of the day.

I strongly recommend this book, more a quasi-historic novel, to get a new respect for those left after all the trumpets and fireworks were gone and a country was built to fit in with day to day living.