Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The American Red Cross First Aid and Safety Handbook
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 30, 2009
While the first aid portion of the book is very good, all of the CPR information is out of date and does not reflect the standards adopted in 2005. This includes the standards for adult, child, and infant CPR; child and infant rescue breathing, and unconscious choking for adult and child.
on August 2, 2005
The book has much of what you expect in a first aid book. The one problem is that the book hasn't been updated in a long time. One of the treatments recommended was outdated and wrong.
22 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2011
Every household needs a first aid book and this is a good one. It is well written, easy to understand, and contains a wealth of information that can help you in every situation from a paper cut to a broken leg.

I picked this book in particular because of its affiliation with the Red Cross. I am not a health care worker but I figure I can have confidence in anything the Red Cross puts their name on even if it is a little out of date.

When I started looking through the book I learned many things and found that many of the things I thought I knew were wrong. This is a great book for people that want to be prepared when things happen.
on March 4, 2016
If this book was published with the 2015 guideline changes I would give it 5 stars. Heck, if it was published with the 2010 guideline changes I would have given it 4 or 5 stars. But since it’s severely out of date, I give it only 2 stars. I would have given in only one star, to discourage people from buying this severely out-dated information, but I didn’t want anyone to misinterpret a one star rating of this book as a condemnation of up-to-date first aid books published by the American Red Cross.

To be clear, my 2 star rating does NOT mean the American Red Cross doesn’t make a great First Aid book. It simply means this book was published long before life-saving guideline changes were made in 2010 and 2015. And the changes made are too many, and too complicated for this 1992 publication to be of good use, even if you were to obtain a supplement of the newest changes. Therefore I do NOT recommend anyone buy this version, published in 1992.

I purchased this book from Amazon in 2013, not realizing changes had been made in 2010, that were not in this book. I would not have purchased it had I known about the changes in 2010. Yes, I realize changes can be made at any time, but I find it a bit irresponsible that anyone would sell a 1992 publication in 2013 (and still selling it), when live-saving guidelines had been out of date for at least 3-5 years already. I feel this book should not be sold w/o a loud and clear warning stating the information is out-of-date because not knowing the updated information can cost lives or cause a person to not be helped in the best way possible. That warning should not only be on any website that sells it, but it should also be permanently affixed to the front cover.

An up-to-date full version First Aid guidelines and instruction book is a must have. It will include life-saving information on how to deal with emergencies like broken bones, burns, heart attacks, stroke, choking, drowning, and much more.

And I do recommend getting your information from the American Red Cross because they partner with other agencies and medical professionals to make sure the information they give is accurate. They use the latest science and educational methodology to make sure you get the best training. I highly recommend all households and businesses have an UPDATED copy of this book on hand and that it be read it full and reviewed regularly.

I also highly recommend all adults get certified in CPR/AED and First Aid. AED is short for automated external defibrillator. The American Red Cross and their partners hold classes all around the world on a regular basis. You can take classes in First Aid, CPR, and using an AED. You can take classes in helping adults in an emergency, as well as special pediatric classes for helping children and aquatics training (water/drowning related emergencies). They even have information on caregiving (for the elderly or children), wilderness first aid, and pet first aid. You can find up to date information and classes in your area by visiting the Red Cross website.

I am unable to find the latest and best version of this book on Amazon because, as of today (March 4, 2016), it is not yet available anywhere. And, according to the American Red Cross, publications that do not have the 2015 guideline changes will be DISCONTINUED immediately after the new 2015 materials are released in April 2016. After a vist to their website I can see it is clear they would not want old out-dated information being sold without a warning that the information is in fact incorrect and out-dated.
on May 4, 2013
I bought this to go along with my emergency kit for the household (in case we have to evacuate for any reason) . It's fine but I wish it had been a little smaller in size. It doesn't have the new CPR guide lines but I remedied that by adding an insert.
on June 16, 2013
I bought this to have it with my "grab and go" bag, in the event of an emergency. The Red Cross has taught first aid and safety for many years, and the information is presented in a clear and easy-to-follow format. I feel confident that if I ever need it, I'll have the information that might help should I find myself on the scene of a health or safety emergency situation with no "professional" first responders around. Standing there and feeling helpless if someone is injured or in danger just isn't an option. I would recommend everyone take the Red Cross courses, and use this book as a refresher or reference to keep your skills fresh.
on June 15, 2014
The book was a 22 year old edition and not a current first aid & safety handbook. I needed the current edition as I needed to review for an upcoming job. I am very disappointed that it was not the latest edition which I was expecting.
on January 4, 2015
While this is a nicely organized book, laid out well, I am disappointed that it does not match how I was taught in official Red Cross Professional CPR training. It confuses me, so I don't read it. Consider just getting an app for your phone.
on November 4, 2015
I was quite surprised that this book fell short of my expectations. The information is dated. It's poorly organized. If someone were having an emergency and needed the book to find out quickly what to do....just go to the Internet and Google it. There's no point in having this book. Had it been better written and organized...fine. But it's not.
on January 3, 2014
Who ever came up with the bright idea of listing topics by alphabetical order has either never taught or taken a 1st aid course and should be fired as an editor. Topics need to be listed within groups that make sense- Rewrite the book.