5.0 out of 5 stars Good Shampoo
First off, I actually ordered this stuff by accident. I thought that it was for oily hair, but I am glad I didn't send it back.

Published on September 25, 2010 by He Who Wears Shoes

1.0 out of 5 stars ***THEY CHANGED THE FORMULA***
I have been using this shampoo for over 10 years.

I tried the new formula and I do not like it..hence my one star rating. The smell is horrible.

I too thought the new shampoo was a fake, so I contacted the company.

And unfortunately DEA is one of those thought to be cancer causing chemicals. I will personally be switching brands...
Published 7 months ago by Larry Talpins

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Shampoo, September 25, 2010
This review is from: American Crew Daily Moisturizing Shampoo 33.8 oz, Package May Vary (Health and Beauty)

I've been battling dandruff since middle school, which would be about 15 years now. I've used head and shoulders, 3 varieties of selsun blue, nizoral and 2 kinds of tea tree oil shampoo. The selsun was prescribed by a doctor for treating dandruff and the tea tree oil was suggested by a beautician. Each would work for a while and then whatever effect they gave me would wear off. I actaully was starting to think that the dandruff, which I believe is bacteria (I could be wrong) was becoming resistant. I even once shaved my head thinking that that might be the answer.

About 2 months after I ordered this American Crew shampoo, in the dry hair/scalp variety, I did some more research on dandruff, this time in regards to why the tea tree oil shampoo stopped working for me. I found a couple of websites that said that people misdiagnose dandruff for severely damaged scalp. What the human scalp wants to do is produce oil to protect itself, the oil being transferred to the hair. But since people in general do not want oily hair, we use shampoos to strip the oil. Stripping the oil causes the scalp to produce oil in greater quantities. This causes the scalp to dry out. Dry scalp gives a person the impression that they need dandruff shampoo, which dries out the scalp even worse. What a person should actually get is shampoo for dry scalp.

After I found that bit of information out, low and behold, I had a bottle of this shampoo (dry scalp formula) in my bathroom. I've used it a couple of times and the flakes have almost entirely stopped, the itchy scalp is not anywhere close to as itchy and as long as I use it daily, the oil is manageable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Shampoo, March 12, 2007
Nicholas Pratt (San Diego, California) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best shampoos I've used. It cleans your hair well yet doesn't dry it out. My hair is normal to slightly oily. I use it daily with no issues whatsoever. My hair combs smoothly and looks terrific. Shampoo companies are great marketers and it's difficult to choose a good one. At one point I purchased over 10 shampoos from Wal-Mart and gave them all a try to see how they actually performed. I found that shampoo makes a big difference in how your hair looks and feels after it dries. Surprisingly the best of these was Alberto VO5 Kiwi-Lime or Mango which are good choices if you are on a budget. Wal-Mart doesn't carry American Crew. This shampoo is much better than the Alberto VO5 and worth the extra money. Highly recommended! You will love it. Women like it too. I've shopped around and Amazon.com has an excellent price especially if you are an Amazon.com Prime member with free shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars New formula (white), smells a bit different, October 20, 2013
crazyblutes (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Many reviews mentioned receiving possible diluted or fake products...I emailed American Crew to find out if they have changed the formula. They did. Partial response below:

"We changed the formula to the Daily Moisturizing shampoo. We took out a preservative called DEA because it was potentially harmful. In order to keep the quality of the product we had to change some other things around as well. The product looks more milky white and does not lather up as much as the previous formula. It has better moisturizing qualities and smells slightly different. The previous formula was for "Normal to Dry Hair and Scalp" and the new formula is for "All Types of Hair". "

However, they did mention that 3rd party sellers as well as Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc. are not authorized sellers so they recommended finding the shampoo at an authorized salon. Honestly who's going to do that? Just make sure you buy directly from Amazon.

Although the new smell is not quite as good as before, I still like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars ***THEY CHANGED THE FORMULA***, May 30, 2014
Larry Talpins (NJ, United States) - See all my reviews
I have been using this shampoo for over 10 years.

I too thought the new shampoo was a fake, so I contacted the company.

Here is the response I got from company:

Dear Larry ,
Thank you for contacting Colomer Beauty Brands regarding American Crew. We had to change the formula to the Daily Moisturizing shampoo. We took out a preservative called DEA because of a law that was passed in California. In order to keep the quality of the product we had to change some other things around as well. The product looks more milky white and does not lather up as much as the previous formula. It has better moisturizing qualities and smells slightly different. The previous formula was for "Normal to Dry Hair and Scalp" and the new formula is for "All Types of Hair".
Best regards,
Phong Nhan
Customer Care Rep
800-598-2739
American Crew, MOP, d:fi, Abba, Roux

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly fake?, December 11, 2012
I used this shampoo a long time ago, AC products are all excellent, I specifically remembered this shampoo to be excellent, so I decided to see if Amazon sold it cheaper because in the local stores they only sell them in small bottles and they are pretty expensive.

I ordered the 33oz from Amazon and as soon as I used it something didn't seem right, it's not the quality that I remember, I thought it might have just been my imagination until I started reading some of the reviews.

I'm convinced I received some type of knockoff or altered version, it's almost like it's half AC and half some other brand.

Whatever it is it drys my hair out very badly and I won't be using it anymore since I'm concerned about what i'm putting on my hair. I plan on buying a legit bottle locally and comparing the two.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Preferred Men's Shampoo, October 13, 2008
HR Guy (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
As others have written here, I have tried a variety of regular store-bought shampoos. And while there might be a confirmation bias in these purchases ("I spent more money therefore it must work!"), I can safely say that this product is the best men's shampoo I have tried. After a few weeks of use, my hair is much healthier and shinier looking. It feels light and clean after each use. My most recent shampoo was Pantene Pro-V, which was one of the better regular shampoos I have tried, however, the American Crew leaves that far behind. It has a great, masculine scent without being overpowering. One caveat, I do have nut allergies and this product does contain coconut oil (I am slightly allergic to coconut; can't eat Mounds bars or the like). However, I have not experienced any problems at all. I think if I avoid ingesting it, I should be fine. Overall, it's a fantastic daily shampoo on par with those you that are used in salons. The price per oz. makes it a very solid value as well. Would that the shampoo was packaged in a two pack as with the conditioner, however.

1.0 out of 5 stars Like he brand but..., March 28, 2013
I like the brand but when it was shipped to me, it wasn't packaged good or something because I opened the box and it was smashed and spilled all over the box. I salvaged what i could into another bottle but of course no i feel im not getting what i paid for...damaged product. Very unimpressed by this and by not being able to reach anyone on customer service...but i like the brand Crew and their product

1.0 out of 5 stars This product is a fake!, October 3, 2013
The American Crew shampoo being sold by this seller is not the real deal. The shampoo had a horrible smell that resemble turpentine and the bottle was noticeably different than what I receive at my local store. I had to stop using it after a few showers because it was drying out my head so much. Amazon should ban this seller!

1.0 out of 5 stars The 33 oz is a knockoff, October 4, 2012
I've used this shampoo before, and it's great, but Amazon isn't selling the genuine product. What I received was clearly a knockoff.

The bottle-cap didn't fit the bottle, and nothing was sealed whatsoever, which resulted in some shampoo spilling over the inside of the box. This alone seemed a little suspect, so then when I tried the shampoo and found it substantially more watery than I'm used to I knew something was up. I guess the seller is taking used american crew bottles, filling them with a cheaper product, twisting a cap on, then throwing them into a box to ship to you.

In summary, buy this product, just not here. It's too bad, I thought I could trust Amazon to weed out illegitimate products.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm running my hands through my hair at this very moment., November 16, 2010
SD (California) - See all my reviews
Mmmm. Silky smooth hair.

This was my first foray into "good shampoo", as I've lived a lifetime of Herbal Essences and Suave products (not to say they are terrible). I read a lot about people saying how they love the smell of this shampoo, and I was surprised when it arrived at how subtle the scent is. I don't have the best nose in the world but I could barely notice it. It was good, just extremely subtle (which may be the appeal).

People also say that this soap does not lather (get all foamy) very well. I have noticed that upon first application it does not create a whole lot of foam... but if you wash, rinse and put a bit more on for a second quick scrub, you get great, thick suds. I have no idea what the science is behind that but I always wash my hair twice when using this product and it's done well for me.