Published on September 30, 2012 by Steve Ramm

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Entertaining - History with bias
Published 17 months ago by Hopefull

5.0 out of 5 stars 2008 Collection Updated to include Bill Clinton. A must for history lovers., September 30, 2012
This collection of 17 DVDS (grouped in 3 DVD cases in a slipcase) is an updated version of the 2008 PBS Home Video set, which only went through President George H.W. Bush to include the addition of the program on President Bill Clinton. (To my knowledge there were no American Experience documentaries on the later President Bush - W - and President Obama is just ending his first term.).

The earliest subject is Theodore Roosevelt ( a program originally aired in 1998 along with 5 of the others) and now covers 11 consecutive Presidents (with one exception - Eisenhower! - will they ever get around to him?) Though packaged together until the "umbrella title" of "American Experience" these show were produced and directed by different people but all appear to be well balanced and objective. I've seen a few of these stories on either TV broadcast or on individual volumes over the years. There is almost 39 hours (!) of material in this set, so I'm still working my way through.

But, based on what I've seen so far I can highly recommend this collection (with a significant reduction in "per President" cost) to any history or political junkie and it certainly is essential for any media library.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Entertaining - History with bias, September 12, 2013
Hopefull (Tucson, Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Experience: The Presidents (Amazon Instant Video)
We watched all episodes of this series because we are interested in American History, especially in the Presidents that have led our nation, their early formative years, the circumstances by which each became president and the events of the times during which they were in office. All presidents in this series were in the 20th century but not all presidents, are presented. Notably absent are, TR, Wilson, Hoover, Eisenhower and Kennedy, all of which would have brought continuity to the series. And even if history for you starts with FDR, including Eisenhower and Kennedy would have improved the series.

While this series, sponsored by PBS, attempts to be truthful and non-biased (not really, I'm just saying that to be fair), and are reasonably so on most of the presidents, the episodes on Carter and Reagan are shamefully biased and do not tell a tale truthful to history as I recall it, having actually lived during those time. Never-the-less, the episodes on FDR and Johnson are very insightful and reveal how the governance of especially these two presidents have done so much to shape the current government, the programs and the laws, and the agencies we now live with, or under. So take it this series as educational and let it spur you on to research and discover more about each of these leaders of the U.S.A.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coverage of history, October 3, 2012
I haven't even finished the series yet, but I am learning so much through the first couple of episodes. The videos provide great information on the successes, failures, qualities and flaw of former POTUSes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best american history lessons, February 21, 2013
This review is from: American Experience: The Presidents (Amazon Instant Video)
These programs about our Presidents have been extremely informative.
Should be required as part of all history classes.
Well worth the time.
Answer all the questions about how as a nation we evolved into today's America!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well done, January 4, 2014
This review is from: American Experience: The Presidents (Amazon Instant Video)
I think that I would listen to David McCullough read the phone book. I've only made it through FDR and part of Truman, but looking forward to the rest.

4.0 out of 5 stars FDR still fascinates!, September 19, 2013
This review is from: American Experience: The Presidents (Amazon Instant Video)
Watched the 3 episodes on Roosevelt and was compelled to keep watching. The story was well told and still rings with depth on the issues of the presidency and power and the man with polio who kept on trying to walk until the day he died. Polio would be mostly cured as a all too common by Jonas Salk and the other giants by 1955 ten years after FDR died... That can do spirit in the darkest days of the depression and then WW ll! He was a Leader!
PF

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's the beef!, February 21, 2013
This review is from: American Experience: The Presidents (Amazon Instant Video)
I would enjoy the series much, much more if it included ALL presidents! Is it available? I would totally watch it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Needed more, February 10, 2013
This review is from: American Experience: The Presidents (Amazon Instant Video)
I thought the program was done in excellent taste and respect to all of the presidents the show featured, however I would like to see the program continue to do the entire list of presidents in order of their presidency. It definately left me wanting more to see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, November 1, 2013
This review is from: American Experience: The Presidents (Amazon Instant Video)
History was always my worst subject in school 50 years ago, so today I love anything historical in video form. This series does a wonderful job of presenting history in human terms. I watched the two-part episode on Franklin D. Roosevelt. I almost never give anything 5 stars, so consider 4 stars my best grade!

5.0 out of 5 stars Please bring it back to Prime!!, March 14, 2013
C. Simpson (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Experience: The Presidents (Amazon Instant Video)
I watched four episodes of this series before leaving for vacation and then was looking forward to watching the remainder when I returned, but it is no longer offered by Amazon Prime. Please bring it back!! It is wonderfully engaging and humanize a the people in the White House. Wonderful!!