An entire political science course in 90 minutes, AMERICAN FEUD is the first historical documentary to trace the history of Liberalism and Conservatism in the United States.
Designed to appeal to a general audience as well as students and political activists, AMERICAN FEUD explores the back story of a political system seemingly in crisis.
"I began watching this with trepidation and ending in jubilation. This wonderful talkumentary is a scrupulously non-partisan, yet tough-minded celebration of democracy and a delightfully fiendish counterattack on the cant delivered from sides of the political spectrum. What's most striking about the film is how the better souls on both the left and right emerge as kindred spirits. Frequently hilarious, always honest, and very highly recommended!"
Ralph Peters, columnist and author of Looking For Trouble,
Adventures in a Broken World
Interviews with a diverse cast of characters give a nuanced picture of how two political philosophies have changed over time and suggest that mindlessly clinging to outdated ideas prevents us from having good government now and in the future.
* Kevin Phillips (former Republican strategist & author)
* Noam Chomsky
* G. Gordon Liddy
* Thomas Frank (What's the Matter With Kansas?)
* Lee Edwards (Heritage foundation scholar of Conservatism)
* Howard Zinn (A People's History of the U.S.)
* Mona Charen (Useful Idiots...)
* Michael Barone (Co-author, The Almanac of American Politics)
* David Boaz (Libertarian leader)
* Michael Kazin (historian)
* Donna Brazile, (CNN commentator)
* Adrian Wooldridge (Co-author, The Right Nation: Conservative Power in America)
* David Stoesz (Social Policy Scholar)
"This is a feud you want to get in the middle of...an accessible, wide-ranging review of how and why we came to use the labels "Liberal" and "Conservative" -- and what Americans can do to get beyond them."
-- Eric Liu, co-author of The True Patriot
Here's what you get in the DVD:
The 90 minute feature, which uses expert and man-on-the-street interviews, archival film, photographs, electoral maps, quotes, colorful graphics and music, and a little donkey and elephant to tell the history of Liberalism and Conservatism from the 1890's to the present.
60 minutes of DVD EXTRAS:
* 15 extra minutes of the Noam Chomsky interview
* Extra scenes including "Breaking the Stalemate" - an idea for fixing gridlock
* Producer/Director commentary track
* "Deleted Nuggets" 15 minutes of great interview clips from the cutting room floor
* Suggested reading list
* Behind the scenes time lapse wide shots of interviews (set-up and breakdown too)
* A secret hidden menu ("Easter Egg")
This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.