Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

100%
Format: PaperbackChange

on October 5, 2005
This book is a treasure! The introduction gives a wonderful background on these authentic folk songs and how they can be used with children. This is an essential book for music teachers, but also great for parents. Be careful, though, because once the children know the songs you'll hear them over and over again... :)
on October 6, 2005
This is the book with the favorite songs from my long ago childhood. So I bought it for my daughter so she could sing these to my grandchildren.

It has the good songs. Songs with lots and lots of verses. Fun songs for older kids and songs to sing babies to sleep.
on July 27, 2015
I own a lot of song books for use with my children (we homeschool), including lots of specialty Waldorf books. I love many of them, but this is the book that my whole family seems to enjoy the most. The songs are SO catchy and delightful to sing with the kids. Ruth Seeger specifically selected folk songs that were beautiful, fun/easy to sing, and lend themselves well to improvising lyrics/motions with children. The kids love making up new verses for all the songs, and we often sing them while we are out doing other things (going on walks, etc.). The piano accompaniment pieces are deceptively simple yet provide a rich sound (if one decides to use them). There are also chords provided, and sometimes I play my ukulele along with the songs. Also, every page is illustrated with quaint and charming drawings by the magnificent illustrator Barabara Cooney! It must have been one of her first projects! I love everything about this book! If you can read music, buy it!
on August 8, 2011
A must have for educators and lovers of children's music! Ruth Crawford Seeger's philosophy and organization is supreme and still highly applicable to teaching today. Enhance this by purchasing the recordings made by Peggy & Mike Seeger in the 1980's.
on May 17, 2004
I own a copy of the original print of this book. It posseses some of the most whimsical little songs I have yet to hear. Its just...fabulous...and I don't even know how to play any instruments....lol
on August 12, 2007
This is the bible for children's folksongs, with artwork by Barbara Cooney the icing on the cake!
on June 23, 2012
It is a fun book. Love it.Did buy it for friends as well. We love the words to the songs.
on March 18, 1999
I have used Seeger's American Folk Songs for Children since my first child was born in 1966. Later it was an invaluable resource in my classrooms of autistic children. The adaptability of the songs to making up your own verses, allowing children to interject their creative ideas, makes them work in many settings. My copy is tattered and torn, and I'm ordering a new one for a just-born great-nephew!
on June 11, 2014
It is wonderful to see this album in print. There is nothing like it in the repertoire for children, and of course there has never been any composer to rival the diverse works of Ruth Crawford Seeger. My family members in their 90s enjoy the pieces, perhaps remembering some of them, as much as the young children.

Thank you for making the collection available.
on November 16, 2015
I love the good old sound of each song.. I remember my childhood days.. with my grandpa..sitting under an oak tree.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse