5.0 out of 5 stars A good new book on US foreign policy !
Being a professor in I.R. with classes on US foreign policy I am always on the lookout for any new books on this subjects. I came accross this book last year and have been using it ever since for my classes on the subject.
Published on January 15, 2009 by Dr. Metal

3.0 out of 5 stars T.M.I.
This is a good book but it has just to much information for a one semester class. If you want to read it for personal learning, awesome but if you are considering having it as your required reading for a 4 month semester class please don't do that to yourself or your students. My professor said yesterday that he regrets getting it, so do we. It is just to much information.
Published on September 29, 2010 by stickrodger

5.0 out of 5 stars A good new book on US foreign policy !, January 15, 2009
This new book is very good in outlining the major goals that US foreign policy has followed. The author uses an interesting approach that he called the 4 P's, which stand for Power, Peace, Prosperity & Principle. Accoding to him all of US foreing policy can be analysed using these 4 guidelines. However, the 4 P's are usually never simultaneouly achievable in a single foreign policy decision, and hence, some usually have to be sacrificed or traded off for others. This means that foreign policy usually has to be prioritized, since it is highly unlikely that even a superpower like the USA can usually realize all of the 4 P's in a single decision. Hence, the subtitle of the book is called the Dynamics of Choice... Principle, by the way, stands for morals or morality in foreign policy. This method is clearly a good one, for it gives the students a new solid perspective when it comes to analyzing any of the foreign policy decisions that the USA has taken in the past. The book also provides a lot of examples that are both very relevant and vivid when explaining many things to the students and readers.
It is up to date, and includes new material and debates, so that, if willing, both the students and the professors can engage in debates.
The only negative thing that I found to be really surprising was the fact that this new 3rd edition is actually a lot shorter than my 2nd edition. Why the publishing company did this, is anybodys guess. For my part I'm just glad that I bought the 2nd edition and not the shorter 3rd new edition. If you have the chance I'd urge you to buy the longer 2nd edition.
Along with "American Foreign Policy" by Eugene Wittkopf and Charles Kegley this is the best book that I've found on US foreign policy.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic jentleson informs and delights with his writing style, September 28, 2009
i enjoyed the fact that we can learn foreign policy fundamentals from an expert whose writing style flows like a novelist, instead of the dry old textbook form assigned to so many courses. his son adam id also in possesion of a progressive yet historiacally rooted mind :). great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific for students, January 28, 2014
This review is from: American Foreign Policy: The Dynamics of Choice in the 21st Century (Fourth Edition) (Paperback)
I have several older versions as well but jentleson's updates are worth the newer version. There sidebars of information are really informative and give nice insights and the online connections to read and do more are worth the time and trouble. Well laid out for easy on the eyes reading and easy to highlight and mark. A keeper for my library

4.0 out of 5 stars The Book of Choice on Foreign Policy, July 19, 2013
Confused with American Foreign Policy? Start here. I had to read this for a class, it is well written, easily understood, gets to the point, is backed with evidence and history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, December 6, 2012
I needed this book for a online class and the local bookstore wanted more money for a book that was in worse shape. Good deal on a very good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, February 5, 2013
Book was in great condition, I have been using it all the time. No serious problems, clean, and in great condition

3.0 out of 5 stars T.M.I., September 29, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Like new!, December 23, 2011
I was amazed at how great the condition of this book was. It practically looked brand new when I took it out of the box. The pages weren't even marked, which I was happy about. Delivery was earlier than the actual expected arrival date, so I was happy about that. Thanks! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a text book. What do you really want?, June 5, 2009
Like I said it is a text book. I needed it for a class. As far as books that I am forced to read go it is not so bad.

As for the seller, super fast shipping

Used & New from: $15.58