5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious Book - A must read!
Willie Geist has a great sense of humor and a fantastic writing style. He sprinkles real stories throughout the book, which are so outlandish you would think that they're just another product of his talented mind. I am hoping for a sequel!
Published on February 19, 2011 by NatKat

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts Off Good, Then Quickly Winds Down
Published on October 20, 2010 by Loyd E. Eskildson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts Off Good, Then Quickly Winds Down, October 20, 2010
Geist's book begins with fictional reporting of President Palin's inaugural ceremony, held at Tampa's Ice Palace Arena during an intermission between WWE matches. The point of selecting that location was to reinforce her status as a Washington outsider. Palin also agreed to keep her message short to allow time for the rematch between Sgt. Slaughter (patriotic American) and the Iron Sheik (foreign terrorist). Palin begins with a shout-out to Arctic Cat (rewarded by free snowmobiles for the Palins) and a plug for Todd's latest DVD ("Wipeout" - snowmachine wrecks), on sale at a card table set up on the concourse.

Then its the welcoming initiation for Tiger woods at the Wilton Norman Chamberlain Sexual Addiction Institute in Southern California for celebrity sex addicts. Other members include Charlie Sheen, Richard Gere, Rev. Ted Haggard, Paris Hilton, etc. The group leader, Dr. Vanden Fanning, keeps emphasizing how their affliction is a disease, not a moral shortcoming. Photos of JFK and WJC adorn the wall.

Then its off to less interesting segments, such as tweets from Lindsay Lohan, supposedly similar in spirit to MLK's writing from a Birmingham jail decades ago (a loud cry for justice), excerpts of suggestions passed on from prior White House occupants to their successors, conversations between Gov. Spitzer and his 'girlfriend,' Levi Johnson's application essay to Berkeley, etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but didn't Laugh Out Loud, October 19, 2010
EP (Athens, Georgia) - See all my reviews
First, let me say I am a big fan of the Morning Joe crew and enjoy Willie Geist's humorous telling of News You Can't Use. However, this book was not as funny as I expected. It was mildly amusing but perhaps too over the top - I guess I prefer finding the humor in real (yet insane) political events.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much, October 16, 2010
I really like Willie Geist, I'm an avid fan of Way Too Early and Morning Joe. But I thought this book was a little much. His sense of humor on tv I find pretty intelligent and fun to follow. This book is a collection of made up stories that are characatures of the political and pop culture figures they're based on. Ok, good idea but I just thought most of the stories were too much, meaning he took the recurring points of Sarah Palin, Obama, or GW that we see in media and just blew them out of proportion. I felt like I was just reading stories that went for cheap laughs rather than maybe something more understated and subtle, which I personally find way funnier. Honestly, my favorite part of the book was introduction that included some tidbits about his father's appreciation for pop culture and a nice little bit (a true story according to the book) about the persecuted Blago when the cameras weren't on during a Morning Joe show. The Blago stuff just rang more humorous because it wasn't too crazy but really gave you an idea of how goofy that dude is. Rather than just making fun of Palin being a hockey mom, or Obama being friends with Ayers and an elitist, or GW Bush being dumb. That being said, I still finished the book, enjoyed it though I didn't laugh out loud, and am always looking forward to the pop culture insights on Way Too Early and the back-and-forth of Morning Joe when Geist is around. Thanks for an entertaining read and it was nice to find a book that condenses all the media portrayals into one, though maybe just too much for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to read but..., November 4, 2010
I wasn't origionaly going to buy this book. But after a trip to the book store where I had a chance to skim through it before buying it I decided I would read it. The book is interesting enough to me to keep me reading it to the end. Is it so funny you cry laughing? No. There is a joke in the stories here and there where I laughed but that was it. Willie Geist's sence of humor seems to me like it does better when he is talking to you on TV rather than when you are reading it in a book. That said, I am on the fence when I try to decide if I would recomend this book. If you like Geist then go for it but if you have no idea who this author is as you sit here reading these reviews, you won't be heart broken if you miss out on this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious Book - A must read!, February 19, 2011
NatKat (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The world needs more Willies, March 8, 2014
why did I wait so long to read this? must've been busy watching him on all of his tv shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars funnier than these other idiots make it seem., April 8, 2013
This review is from: American Freak Show: The Completely Fabricated Stories of Our New National Treasures (Paperback)
Pay no attention to anyone who says differently. This book is HYSTERICAL! From Sarah Palin's Inaugural Address to the Neverland Ranch Garage Sale, this book screams. I laughed til I was sore. Excellent work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, June 9, 2012
I love Willie Geist! So witty, clever and such a great read! I'm looking forward to the next one...and hopefully soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars A zeitgeist sanity check project, November 12, 2010
Willie Geist, apparently tired of having to bite his tongue about the "freak show" that he himself is still a reluctant part of, decided to write about other freaks inhabiting the globe, beginning with the last standing but rapidly dying superpower: the American Republic.

The best evidence that we are indeed a dying republic, is not just the list of mostly American characters Geist satirizes here, but the fact that the "Mourning Joe show," (pun intended, an hour long collection of a million advertisements, interspersed with Joe Scarborough's always incoherent ramblings), is the best the country has to offer during the hours of 6-9 am.

The biggest freak of that show is the insufferably egotistical rightwing jackass host, Joe Scarborough, who lacks even the minimum awareness to know that his views are only slightly to the left of, and only slightly less rank and incoherent than those of Sarah Palin. Meka Brzezinski (Joe's female co-host and much abused masochistic sidekick) at least has no excuses, for clearly she comes from good genetic stock. But Joe, even for the rightwing, (and of whatever is his lowly genetic stock) is clearly a lost cause.

Geist had to do something before he loses his mind and goes completely batty. This book is obviously his own self-approved sanity check project. It showcases other freaks out in the firmament: from Tiger Woods, Bernie Madoff and Dick Cheney, to Lindsay Lohan and everyone's favorite idiot and freak, ex-Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich.

Although all of the entries are LOL funny, the best two in my view are the "Presidential Book," in the "Obama versus Dick Cheney: late night in the White House Kitchen," and the "Bernard Madoff: Welcome to Hell" roast.

Geist finally gets to "let loose" and flex his considerable intellectual muscles. We are all better for it. When he can no longer take it, he's got a career away from his day job. Four stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fan of Willie - Thought this was Silly, January 7, 2011
Mike "Mr. Strusz" (Oshkosh, WI, United States) - See all my reviews
Easily one of the worst books I've ever read.

The premise of the book is that it's a celebration of America's freaks. Each chapter is a fictitious tale about a D-list celebrity or shamed politician. It's meant to be satirical.

Where it goes wrong is in its tone. The book is just plain mean, and unlike good satire, there doesn't seem to be a perspective or underlying worthwhile purpose.

Avoid this book like the plague. You'll need 3 cups of Activia to digest this baby.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›