4.0 out of 5 stars Under-Rated Comedy that deserves to be seen....., October 21, 2008
Don from SF "coach41" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Fusion (DVD)
Ok, the DVD hasn't been released yet. However, I have seen this film twice so I can provide a decent review of the film. I can revise at a later time about the DVD and any extras. Some minor spoilers about the film.

American Fusion is a Asian-American Independent comedy directed by first time director Frank Lin. The film debuted at the San Francisco Asian American Film Festival around 2005. It hit the theaters in 2007 and had an extended run in Los Angeles and Seattle. However, due to lack of marketing, the film fizzled in other markets.

The film centers around longtime HK actress Sylvia Chang. Chang portrays a middle-aged divorced woman who feels her life is over before she runs into a handsome doctor (Esai Morales). In between, there is some family hijinx and jokes galore. Some jokes are admittedly Chinese/Chinese-American-centric, and it may go over some people's heads.

However, as a Chinese-American, I immensely enjoyed the film. I took two female friends (one Latin American, one Chinese American) and they also enjoyed the film.

I felt this film didn't get the exposure it deserved, but it gets a second life on DVD and hopefully, it will do well.

4.0 out of 5 stars American Fusion, February 13, 2009
This review is from: American Fusion (DVD)
Entertaining and humorous, this pokes fun at the cultural quirks of some ethnic groups. It's probably funnier if one is familiar with and have spent time around these particular peoples. It has a motley cast of characters played by a very talented cast. It also made me wonder why we don't see more of Esai Morales.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANERICAN FUSION, February 13, 2011
This review is from: American Fusion (DVD)
AMERICAN FUSION is the best romantic comedy I've ever seen. It's very well written and very well acted. The story is about what happens when two cultures collide and try to combine. Yvonne, (Sylvia Chang), a Chinese journalist, meets up with Jose (Esai Morales), a Mexican dentist. And the fun begins. Yvonne is frustrated by her mother, who traditionally tries to rule her children and grandchildren's lives. Jose, is a good son, but not controlled by his mother or the rest of his family. The cast chemistry, and the dialogue is great! The interaction between Yvonne, her siblings and their mother really makes for good satire. I found myself rooting for Yvonne and Jose just because of their daring to defy the stereotyping of Chinese and Mexican cultures, and choosing to follow their hearts, not ethnic traditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spread the Word About This One!, January 13, 2009
This review is from: American Fusion (DVD)
American Fusion is a winner. In fact, it won the audience award at the Hawaii International Film Festival and broke the record for most sold-out screenings. It has been wined and dined quietly elsewhere since its completion. And it is no wonder. It's an amazing debut for writer/director Frank Lin. This sleeper has the opportunity to go big through word of mouth. Spread the word to all who love My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Chinese culture, great cast chemistry, or romantic comedies in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to be Asian..., April 18, 2009
This review is from: American Fusion (DVD)
While this movie appears to be aimed at, and will appeal to, Asian audiences, the humor and message can be appreciated by everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I think you will too, if your skin is black, white, red or yellow. It's great to see Esai Morales in a comedy. Although most of the actors are unfamiliar to American audiences, the performances were first-rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over due, July 10, 2013
I love this film, it explored a very under represented segment, on the populace.I wish there were more film that had Asians, and Hispanics in the central roles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, December 29, 2012
This review is from: American Fusion (DVD)
Love can be found at any age in life!! Love can be unexpected !! It's funny, romantic, and i loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ROMANTIC AND FUNNY, September 21, 2012
Great light-hearted, funny, romantic... the message being that people are all the same no matter what ethnic or cultural background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful film, January 17, 2012
This review is from: American Fusion (DVD)
I really enjoyed this film. Many years ago I was involved in an intercultural relationship. Unfortunately, mine did not have a happy ending, but I was very glad that Yvonne and Jose had theirs. "We are all Americans" is true, but often not truly understood. This film is a wonderful comedy, but there are some serious messages in it from which we can all learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great laughs comedy, September 15, 2011
This review is from: American Fusion (DVD)
A great Asian American comedy film. This is a very original movie that I have nothing to compare it to. I thought at first I wouldn't like this movie, but when I actually watched it, it made me laugh the whole way though. Definitely give this movie a try if you like watching Asian American films.

American Fusion
American Fusion by Frank Lin (DVD - 2009)
$14.98 $5.49