5.0 out of 5 stars Made all the difference
Published on February 20, 2011 by Timothy G. Anderson

Published 8 months ago by Liz Heffner

5.0 out of 5 stars Made all the difference, February 20, 2011
My wife and I ordered this cookbook as soon as I was released from the hospital. I had had a heart attack at age 58, and healthier eating--low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-sodium, smaller portions--was on the menu. It has now been more than six weeks, and we have eaten about 90 percent of our meals from this book. People ask me, "what do you miss most?" and I have nothing to say. The recipes have yielded such tasty meals that I truly never think about the fact that I'm not getting the salt or fat I was so used to.

I recommend this book to anyone who needs or wants to eat healthy food. My wife did not have a heart attack, but she has chosen to eat exactly what I eat (and is losing weight, as I am, because of it) and is enjoying the food every bit as much as I am.

Get this cookbook as soon as you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars cookbook lover, March 29, 2011
My first purchase of an American Heart Association Cookbook was long ago in 1989. I still love the recipes and continued to use it until my recent purchase of the updated version. What a surprise! All I can say is this cookbook is worth every cent! Excellent recipes and fantastic health tips. I tried the beef roast with rosemary and hoisin sauce as soon as it arrived at the house.FANTASTIC!!!! Love you Amazon!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Good variety but not particularly healthy and therefore useless to me, April 12, 2014
This review is from: The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 8th Edition: Revised and Updated with More Than 150 All-New Recipes (Paperback)
I have enjoyed cooking for decades and was recently diagnosed with premature heart disease. I was not coming from a position of ignorance and had moderated my diet for weight loss, so that it was largely healthy already: whole grains, brown rice, restricted fruit, encouraged fresh vegetables, no added sugar and salt, moderate amounts of lean protein and so on. I missed the variety of the recipes that I'd previously used, however, and didn't want to get stuck in a rut that would threaten my ability to sustain this new approach. That's when I bought this book, hoping for varied healthy recipe ideas.

I was not impressed with this book's assumption that use of canned and processed ingredients is healthier than natural, fresh ones, just because they contain less fat. There are many more elements to a healthy heart than simply fat and cholesterol levels and a book of recipes that thinks a can of soup is a great idea as a binding agent is simply not as healthy as it could be. Canned and processed goods are sodium rich and crammed with preservatives that we just don't need. Meanwhile, 'Low fat dairy' is the single biggest dietary con in recent years: any product claiming to be low-fat has invariably boosted the taste level by adding sugar. Just because you lower the fat, does not make it good for the heart.

Upon reading the nutritional content listed for a single serving of some of the recipes, I was dismayed to see that while they do indeed have a low fat content, they are AWASH with sugar. One chicken recipe listed a staggering 32g of sugar per serving. This is utter ridiculousness. Anybody who wants to keep or promote a healthy heart or who wishes to limit the effects of existing disease is simply not going to achieve that with a book that apparently doesn't understand that fat is not the only evil. It is well known that a diet high in sugar also has negative consequences for the development of heart disease.

Curried pumpkin soup? Sounds delicious! WHY put maple syrup in it? No sugar is necessary, not in ANY form, in order for this dish to be tasty. What on earth are you even trying to accomplish when you put the name of the American Heart Association on the cover and sell it as a healthy cookbook, when it manifestly isn't?

When I purchase a book for heart healthy recipes that is linked to this organisation, I do not expect to have to go through all of them with a fine-toothed comb in order to find the 1 in 10 recipes that are genuinely healthy or that do not require significant alteration before they are of any use to me at all.

Deeply disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A HEART SAVER, May 18, 2011
We recently had to change our diets... my husband had open heart surgery... and we have found wonderful and tasty recipes in this cookbook. It will remain on my kitchen counter as our number one food reference tool for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cookbook!!, February 12, 2011
Ellen (Bethesda, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great cookbook - the recipes are varied and use ingredients available at your local grocery. I have enjoyed the vegetarian entrees
such as curried cauliflower and the sweet potato and jalapeno cheese bread are both delicious. The majority of the recipes require a normal amount of time to make and some are very quick. I highly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good source, however all the chicken recipes taste the same!, December 28, 2010
E. Gobrecht (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
If you like chicken, peppers, onions and diced tomatoes -- this book is for you! A good starting point (but bland) for heart-healthy cooking. You must get creative and tailor non-salt seasonings/substitute vegetables to suit your palate, otherwise it tastes like hospital food. But it does have good ideas, and healthier versions of dishes we like.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPER!, June 16, 2012
I am putting my pennies aside so I can buy The New American Heart Association Cookbook. I just got a copy of it at the library and I already love it. My doctor has been after me with changing my eating habits and with this book it will be a lot easier than I though it would be!! So a very large thank you to the American Heart Assocation. I can't wait until I order my very own copy of it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars borrowed from library and immediately had to buy it, December 17, 2012
Borrowed this from the library to take a good look at it and after trying only two recipes I knew I had to buy it. I'm always trying to "healify" recipes (not always with the greatest results) and it's very nice to have a collection which has already been adjusted. My family eats most of our meals at home, but we are not big into fancy food. This is a good solid collection of everyday recipes that you can feel good about serving in terms of staying healthy, yay!

5.0 out of 5 stars great recipes, December 23, 2013
This book, after only a month, has shown it is worth every penny I spent on it. The recipes are great. I have used it, just in 1 month, more than any other cookbook I've ever had. Very heart healthy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, December 18, 2013
definitely a lot of recipes. We have only tried a few and have not been impressed. Some of the cooking times are way off, some of the directions were not close. For example on the chicken broth it said to add 12 cups of water to cover the chicken, but it took closer to 20 cups.

Also some of the recipes we have tried have been very bland.

$19.99 $15.81