Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on November 13, 2010
I chose this book to read because of the author, Oliver North. I was very curious to read what he had written. It is actually a part of a series that he has produced. Had I fully known the subject matter of the book, prior to my selection, I wouldn't have chosen it. (I shy away from war stories, due to the violence.) That would have been tragic for me. My timing (Veteran's Day) was a coincidence, but made it all the more relevant.

"American Heroes in Special Operations" is a compilation of short stories , reporting true Special Operations Force's events that have taken place since the launch of the War on Terror. The stories are reported with as much fact and detail as is allowed by law. The book includes: amazing photos, to help support the stories written about events in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq; detailed definitions for novices (like me); and most importantly, recounts the honors awarded to the participants in these events.

Once I started reading this book, I could not put it down. It is written in such a manner so as not to titillate the reader by the horrorifics of battle, but to recount the stories in as much detail as possible, so the reader gets a very good sense of what the participants endured. The words flow smoothly so it is easy to become engaged in the stories and with the participants. I was cheering for the good guys, boo/hissing the bad guys, and weeping for those who were lost. The stories seem so fantastic that I had to frequently remind myself that this is not fiction or fantasy, but real stories about real people.

I've found this book of true stories to be important to me, because it has helped me become more of a participant in the War on Terror, if only through new knowledge. I feel very strongly that this book belongs in every home in America. If there were ever a reason to get everyone moving in one direction at one time, it should be to collectively read this book so as to more fully appreciate what it actually means to go to war. This series should be mandatory reading for every government official.
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2010
This book is one of the most eye opening and realistic accounts of the bravery of our men fighting the war on terrorism. These are the guys you will never hear about or read about in the newspapers or see on TV, but may have the greatest influence on the war itself. If you are an American regardless if you support the war or not; you need to read this so that you will gain a better understanding of whats REALLY going on and the sacrifices the men and women in uniform are making so that we can have our everyday freedoms. A big thank you to both Chuck Holton and Oliver North for exposing the truth about what our "Men in Black" are doing and the impact they are having on the war.
on November 3, 2010
American Heroes: Special Operations gives an in-depth look into the hearts, minds, and operations of our elite heroes. It's easy as a observer to idolize these heroes who sacrifice everything, but this book gave me a deeper perspective and appreciation of those sacrifices. With North and Holton embedded with these elite warriors, readers are able to see the intricacies and frustrations these men face on a daily basis. What we see on the news is often slanted and a mere sliver of the truth, and that's why I love this American Heroes series because, in essence, it humanizes these warriors--it peels away the armor, the weapons, the deadly missions--and allows me to "see" a man behind all that gear and action. A man with a family, a dream. It's an absolutely fascinating, informative, realistic, and engaging read!
on August 7, 2012
Very interesting to read about all the American HEROES that have given their lives so that we can have our freedom. I had a special interest in the book because one of the fallen HEROES was my brother-in-law. It has been 9 years since he died somewhere near Afghanistan, and after reading some of the details I understand so much more about what these men and women are faced with everyday and how much they sacrifice for our country. I am recommending the book to my family and friends.
on February 19, 2016
To our friend of Jawahar Gupta! (To the outstanding Indian poet and the pharmacologist, colleagues on Poetri Singapur)!
You always three together will praise us.
And in wishes team, the brother you will glorify.
You will write the review to verses.
Both conclusions and thoughts you will inspire.
In Farmakology you simply genius.
Aptekar and Galen friend of enlightenments.
Still we are familiar with Poetri.
And we are conducted by friendship with Singapore.
Beautiful family man.
Father and husband you, nobleman.
And you are loved by us.
And we will always bless India.
We value your review.
Gallery!
on January 11, 2014
This is the second book by Ollie North I purchased. I must say I liked this one better, though his Heroes book is very good as well. If you are interested in the Iraq & Afghanistan wars, his books explain away a lot of the politics & dynamics behind the missions in a way that doesn't bore the reader. He is fair to include every branch & type of service with his stories, explaining specific roles & missions that our military & civilian people do everyday so we can rest easy. In my opinion, Mr. North is a hero among his heroes. You can almost feel the respect of the people who had the honor of having his presence among them in the heat of the battles. This is not a book written by the sidelines, this was done at war as a FOX News correspondent. Bravo Mr. North! I'll be buying more. Thank you for your service & your bravery & fortitude for opening my eyes about what really went on.
on August 9, 2014
It is a terrific book. Really explains all the abbreviations that I have always wondered about.Gives a wonderful story on the Special Operations. I really enjoyed this book. I would highly recommend this book to anyone that is looking at all our Special Operations. Oliver North is truly a Courageous Military Member and Leader in keeping up with all the Special Operations Activities.
on July 13, 2014
You gotta appreciate this work by Ollie. The stories and events you won't see on the news. The insights into the training and missions of these special men are almost beyond belief. Read it and appreciate these operators who sacrifice so much.
on July 3, 2014
Oliver North is a very good author. His books are always readable in that it gets the reader engrossed in his books. I have read a couple of his books and have great respect for the Navy seals and other special operations troops.
on July 27, 2014
Special Operations has been an interest on mine since I was a member of the "Counterguerrilla Units That Flourished in ROTC" back in the late 60s.To me such training should not be so special but standard but then that is me.