5.0 out of 5 stars Making History Real!
Published on November 17, 2001 by Mauisurf71

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay.
I was hoping for more creative, stimulating activities to use in conjunction with my teaching materials. History can be dry and I had hoped this would help spice it up. It was okay, but I was hoping for more.
Published 20 months ago by Cimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Making History Real!, November 17, 2001
This review is from: American History Simulations (Paperback)
Do you want to make history come alive in your classroom? This book is packed full of hands-on, brains-on simulations that will really get your students thinking about some important events and concepts of American History. These activities help students to make an emotional connection with the historical events that shaped America by having them participate in role-playing simulations. My personal favorite is an Activity called "The King's M&M's" (the kids loved it too!) I have used these activities in my 7th and 8th Grade American History class and have been thrilled with the discussions it has inspired. These simulations grab the students from the start and keep them hooked. Try them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Simulations like these make Social Studies meaningful, February 6, 2009
This review is from: American History Simulations (Paperback)
I recently ordered this book for teaching fifth grade social studies. The simulations to not all align with the emphasis of US history in 5th grade but there is enough to make the book worth buying. This week I adapted the simulation "Brown Gold" and hid a brown slip of paper on the playground. The winning team were given a Chocolate candy bar to share. We came back to class and debriefed our experiences using the questions in the book. The questions are just listed for discussion, but I typed them and left space for students to answer each question individually. My students were amazed and understood how the drive to find gold lead the Spanish conquistadors to America. I also like how the book has questions that you can use for students to search for as they read their Social Studies book. The simulations lend themselves well to being used as an anticipatory set before you actually teach the lesson. I will probably use about four of the Simulations from this book in my classroom this year. An 8th grade or 11th grade teacher would find that even more of the Simulations align to their curriculm. As a classroom teacher, I recognize that there are definately ways this book could be revised for ease of use in the classroom. But for now, this is the best book published for using simulations to teach 5th grade social studies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great classroom tool, July 15, 2006
This review is from: American History Simulations (Paperback)
I am not a social studies teacher specifically. I teach Middle School Special Education and I am always looking for ways to make education come to life. This book has some great ideas for making historical issues relevant to youth today.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay., April 28, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars simulations / activities, July 12, 2009
This review is from: American History Simulations (Paperback)
this book has 27 different simulations spanning from the native Americans and explorers all the way up through Watergate, however, about 20 of them are from 1900 and before. Interesting activities - some are not so much simulations as activities, but they involve putting yourself in the participants place mentally at least - nice format that summarizes objective, materials needed, etc at beginning of each simulation. Good discussion suggestions and follow ups included as well. Reproducible pages and a minimum of outside materials needed. Easily adaptable to different age groups I think but 8th grade can basically use it straight out of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a middle school US History Teacher, December 29, 2013
This review is from: American History Simulations (Paperback)
With every product like this, there are some great ideas and some 'ho hum' ideas. I also found great ideas that I could modify to meet the needs of my students. Some activities were too time consuming, but still worth the consideration. Ultimately, this book gave me more tools with which I could prepare activities for my students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning fun, December 22, 2013
This review is from: American History Simulations (Paperback)
This was filled with great ideas for enriching my 4th, 5th, and 6th grade social studies classes. The kids loved the hands on learning. It was fun to organize and teach.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great simulations!, June 18, 2013
Veronica Conway. (Woodbury Heights, NJ, Usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American History Simulations (Paperback)
There are some really wonderful and engaging simulations for American History in this book. The book is slightly out-dated, but several of the activities can be modified.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., August 26, 2011
This review is from: American History Simulations (Paperback)
Great product and received very quickly. I will use this product during the school year and my students will love it. It is awesome!

American History Simulations
American History Simulations by Max Fischer (Paperback - April 1, 1993)
$12.99 $9.32