3,709 Reviews
 (2,740)

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird, Warped, Wacky and oh so Wonderful
This is by far my favorite new show of 2011 (after Game of Thrones). In fact, it is one of my favorite shows period. The first episode confused me and will probably strike most people as flat out weird, but after the initial shock, you realize with each passing episode just how unique and compelling this show is.

American Horror story follows a family of three...
Published on December 1, 2011 by Monkdude

2.0 out of 5 stars A great concept, poor execution.
It seems that the majority or people who dislike this show are prudish, religious folks who are easily offended.
I wanted to add a review since I am not one of those people. I like a wide variety of films and find sex and violence are often aspects of some of my favorites.

The concept of a show that touches on many classic horror themes is so ripe with...
Published 16 months ago by valis

5.0 out of 5 stars Really horrific!, October 13, 2011
This show is truly horrific! I love the star studded cast and the story is truly amazing. The reaction of the actors to the situations they are put into are very realistic. Cannot get enough of it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars America Horror Story is Excellent!, November 12, 2011
I don't watch much cable TV anymore since I canceled cable last year, so I was browsing the on demand stuff the other night and found American Horror Story. I read a few reviews and almost didn't buy the first episode. So glad I did, as I was hooked from the first. The show is like a horror movie that delves deeper into the psyche of the characters. The show is suspenseful, thrilling, and even yes scary at times. I am a new fan, and will be buying the rest of the episodes as they come available on Amazon Instant Video.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great show, December 6, 2012
Surprise is the best word I can give for this show. I first watched it because I was in the mood for something a little edgy, but it didn't take long for me to get completely taken in by the series. This show is extremely well written. I don't watch a lot of TV, and often think that TV shows lack a certain continuity to the storyline, like each week they come in and say, "Okay, what should happen in this week's episode?" I never felt that way with this show -- in fact, the skilled way in which they connected the episodes often completely surprised me; I don't expect the stories of TV productions to be this well thought out. It felt more like reading a really good book than a series of disjointed short stories. It has a wonderful cast as well, so you can expect great acting to go along with the story. If you are like me, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much you enjoy this show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange and beautiful, October 12, 2011
Having only seen the first episode, it may be premature to review this show. That said, both my spouse and I love the show. While the basic plot is predictable and would seem done to death, (family moves for a fresh start and their new home is haunted), the show has so many parts that are unexpected and fresh. The cinematography is strong, as is the casting. One of the best things about the horrifying moments is that they are not explained adnauseum, as so many horror moments are these days. People who are not patient and need everything explained will likely not enjoy this. The lack of resolution is intentional and builds the viewers sense of discomfort and intrigue. Looking forward to more episodes!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST horror-themed TV series EVER!!!, January 31, 2012
This series is so different and much more compelling than any other horror-themed television show that I've ever seen. If you like Walking Dead (which I LOVE), it's like the haunted house version of that show because every single episode is so suspenseful and has so much going on that you can't wait to see the next. Every episode is like watching a mini-movie in the sense that each one is completely intriguing, suspenseful, full of story line and such quality visual effects that it keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Of course it takes a few episodes to get going and start piecing things together but even from the very first episode it is very creepy, gives you chills, piques your interest and leaves you hungry to see what happens next!

We don't actually have cable so we would have to wait for each episode to come up online after it aired that night. It got to the point where it was almost like an event at our house where every week we would get together with friends to watch it.

****One thing though, you really have to start from the beginning to understand everything that is going on. It would be hard to watch an episode here and there and still be able to know why things are happening the way that they are.

When Supernatural came out I was really excited b/c the effects/creepiness seemed like it was pretty cool but when I watched a few episodes it seemed like it was like watching a glorified Buffy The Vampire type/Teen TV show that I didn't like at all.

I am normally cheap about buying DVD's and like to get the not-too-much-worn-used versions on Amazon and things like that, but this is one of those series that I'm willing to pre-order and pay more than full price to have right away!

If you love horror movies, you just can't pass this one up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Horror Series - Hands Down, September 27, 2012
American Horror Story defines a whole new "era" of TV. I am an avid horror fan and I enjoy everything from the serial killer, the monsters, the zombies, the suspenseful family-member related stuff, the blood, guts and gore, the Sci-Fi horrors, the ghosts....everything. This somehow manages to combine everything into one for the most captivating series that you just can't look away from. There were parts where I wanted to cover my eyes. There were parts where I wanted to cry. There were parts where I felt like I was part of the show and something would affect me directly. It has ties to real life things that go on, affairs, abortions, births, deaths, school violence, bullying, secrets, spousal issues...and makes them a million times more interesting. The actors were fantastic. Every main character in the show was Emmy-Worthy. The most exciting part of my whole week was waiting for Wednesday night at 10 to turn on FX to watch this show. The twists and turns and unexpected events that happen are just impeccably written and well thought out. It leaves you on the edge of your seat begging for more. Truly a 5 Star, A Plus show and I am so excited to watch it all again when I buy the First Season.
Sometimes when movies or shows produce a second season or a sequel, it falls flat and lacks the captivation that the first had. I know that this one will not have that problem and I can't wait until October 17th to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Show, September 24, 2012
This review is from: American Horror Story: Season 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I am such a huge fan of this series. The acting and story is A+. I cant wait for season 2!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Original. Edgy. Smart, July 16, 2012
The instant the first show ended, I was hooked. The one and only problem with this show is that you become addicted to it! Too bad season 2 will be completely different (with Jessica Lange being the main character) but I think it'll be interesting to see how they carry on. Rumor is, a few seasons from now, they'll go back to the ending of season one (Jessica Lange and the highly coveted kid) and continue with that story. But until then, season 2, set in a mental hospital (hope it's not cheesy) should be a change from your everyday mental hospital story. But don't get too used to Jessica Lange's character in season 1! She'll be completely different come the October season premiere.
Overall: Great, brilliantly different show that hooks you from episode 1. Changes every season should keep it interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Horror at its finest!!!, May 9, 2012
This is one of the greatest horror shows that I have seen in a long time, and truly befitting of its title. It truly amazes me when people call it brutal and violent like the title leads them to believe otherwise. If you are not a horror fan then this is not the show for you If you prefer watered down pretend horror then maybe you should watch Twilight instead. It is fantastic and creepy and will make you think twice about moving into a home with a past.

The acting and writing is top notch and I would highly recommend this season to all horror fans, you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Old school psychological horror, December 26, 2011
I am an avid fan of anything that scares the pants off of me and finally they have created a show that is not just full of gratuitous violence, blood and gore (which I do enjoy also). This show creeps you out, keeps you guessing and makes you afraid to look behind you. I love it!!

American Horror Story: Season 1 [Blu-ray]
American Horror Story: Season 1 [Blu-ray] by Evan Peters (Blu-ray - 2012)
$49.99 $34.96