5.0 out of 5 stars the nightlight is actually optional
Published on November 23, 2008 by M. Beth Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of good features, missing some important ones.
I bought this clock for my two little girls, neither of whom can tell time. I have a mixed review.

Published on October 8, 2008 by D. Straight

5.0 out of 5 stars the nightlight is actually optional, November 23, 2008
A few posters have complained that the product is too bright and you cannot have it totally dark in the room and still have the green light come on in the morning. But you actually CAN have it only turn green in the morning with no yellow light at night. This is a complaint I've seen on a few reviews on here, so I thought I'd post this clarification for others who may be considering buying this product.

From the American Innovative website FAQ on this product:
"I am using the "Ok to wake!" feature. Can I set just the green light to come on in the morning?
Yes. If you do not want the yellow light on during the night, you can set just the green light to come on in the morning. The LIGHT ON time will be set to the desired "Ok to wake!" time (i.e. 7am), the LIGHT OFF time is set to the time you want the green light to turn off (i.e. 9am) and the LIGHT change time must be set equal to the OFF time (i.e. 9am). With this set up the green light will come on at 7am and turn off at 9am."

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes "nightlight" feature is optional but Super Bright LED's in feet are not! Here is how to fix., February 22, 2010
M. C. Thomas "technical writer" (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
Just to clarify things a bit. The clock has three lights. Two of them are yellow LED lights in the "feet" of the clock and are always on. A third light (also a yellow one) is in the "body" of the clock and can be set to "off". As one poster mentioned, you can set this "nightlight" to off or on by adjusting the "OK to wake" time, but YOU CANNOT TURN OFF THE LED LIGHTS IN THE FEET!!! The feet lights are REALLY bright (about as bright as a standard wall nightlight) and cannot be turned off easily (but you can turn them off permanently as I will explain below.)

I went ahead and purchased this clock knowing it would be bright because another poster mentioned that you can turn off the LED feet lights by using a screwdriver and some electrical tape and 10 minutes. No, sorry. It is more like 30 minutes to an hour and two screwdrivers, a steady hand, and lots of patience! After much frustration and dropping of tiny screws onto the carpet, I managed to turn those LED suckers off and now it works great! I thought I would share with you my experience so that you will have an easier time of doing the job (and maybe it won't take you as long as it took me. :-))

You will need:
- 1 "small" phillips head screwdriver
- 1 "tiny" (like for computers or eyeglasses) phillips head screwdriver
- Black electrical tape
- 1 thumbtack or needle or something sharp

I recommend that you do not drink coffee before attempting this because you will need VERY steady hands. Also, use a large table without clutter so that you do not lose the screws. You can also use a towel to place the screws on so that they don't roll off the table. Prepare for this to take 30 minutes to an hour, depending on your skill with a screwdriver and working with very tiny things.

1. Turn clock over.
2. Use "small" screwdriver to remove battery compartment screw and place aside.
3. Use "tiny" screwdriver to remove screws from bottom of feet and place aside.
4. Turn clock partially over again and find deep screw holes in the backs of the feet. Remove screws using the "small" screwdriver.
5. Pull white body of clock apart to expose circuit boards in feet.
6. Carefully remove two screws from one circuit board. (Do them one at a time so that you can compare how the first one is put back together by looking at the second one.)
7. Place a small black square of electrical tape over each LED on the front of the boards. (I used two layers to completely shade the light.) The two LED's are labeled in tiny letters and are located on each end of the circuit board.
8. Punch holes (using a thumbtack or needle) in the tape where the circuit board holes are (so that the board will fit back into place over the plastic protuberances that poke through it).
9. Once circuit boards are in place screw them back to the clock and repeat each step above in reverse order.

From the other poster's advice on how to turn off the nightlight by adjusting the "Ok to wake" feature:

From the American Innovative website FAQ on this product:

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of good features, missing some important ones., October 8, 2008
D. Straight (Upstate New York) - See all my reviews

I love the hidden controls, that's genius. I love the way the nightlight turns green at a preset time, that's also genius. The dual display is nice, and that you customize whether it displays digital or analog, or both, is nifty. (I'm not sure if it's that important, but it's nifty.) It's really nice that it will tell my kids the time, verbally, at the touch of a button.

And now, a little about the features -- or lack thereof -- that I'm not crazy about.

In my perfect clocky world, this clock would allow you to still flip the nightlight on and off with the left toe button, EVEN when the nightlight timer is set. Why would that be hard to do? Whether it's on or off, the timer could still either turn it on, leave it on, or turn it green when the preset time arrives.

Also, in my perfect clocky world, you would be able to turn off the backlight. Prior to owning this clock, we did not use nightlights, at all. (Studies are coming out with evidence that it's a pretty good idea to get a good chunk of time at night in the darkest possible conditions, for both a properly functioning biological clock, and for preservation of eyesight.) Now, this clock, even with the nightlight turned off, is very bright. Bright enough to function as a nightlight, which I don't want. If I could turn off the lighting completely, and still have the green light come on at 7am, I would be overjoyed. But the only way to turn off the backlight is by unplugging it and running it on the battery, which will not allow the nightlight/green light timer to function at all. So it's an either/or. If I unplug it, then my kids get a nice dark sleeping space (which they LIKE), but then, the whole point of this clock for me -- the green light function -- is shot.

I'm not sure we'll keep it yet, because for the price, I think it should be a little more flexible. But it's a great idea and I have hope that with some tweaking it will evolve into a totally awesome timepiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little clock ... has some quirks, highly effective for too-early-rising toddlers, February 1, 2009
Charles Parker (St. Petersburg, Fla., USA) - See all my reviews
As some of the other reviewers noted, the interface to control the changing from the nightlight to "green to get up" light could stand to be a little more intuitive (or possibly just explained better/differently in the setup instructions.) When I first set it, it took me several tires to get it right (I had set it up wrong, and it came on green at bedtime rather than that morning.) However, now that I have figured it out, it only takes a few seconds to alter the "wake up" time when necessary.

Based on some of the other reviews, I had expected it to be a bit larger and brighter, but it is about the size of a slow-pitch softball (or a decent-sized grapefruit) and I really don't think it is excessively bright. (There is a bright/dim setting, but in a dark room I found there wasn't a huge difference between the two.)

It has worked for us, as our three-year-old (who would often mistake streetlights at 3 a.m. for "Sun's Up!") now knows it is not appropriate to get up before she has the green light. (Of course, lately she runs into our bedroom at 7:15 a.m. to announce "Green light on!")

If anyone at American Innovative reads these reviews, I think that there is room for improvement in the product (like different settings for weekdays and weekends, perhaps brighter "green light," larger stature, reverse the polarity filter on the LCD face to make it predominantly dark with illuminated numbers and hands.) On the positive side, there are many things that this product beats the competition hands down (price, not character-based so it won't fall out of favor when Elmo, Dora etc. fall out of favor with the child, the interchangeable color face rings are also a nice touch and this product's teach-me features also give it room to grow with your kids.)

I would certainly make this purchase again, and likely will for other families of young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Clock, October 3, 2008
D. Lair (league city, tx) - See all my reviews
This clock is wonderful. We got it for my 2nd grader because she wanted her own alarm clock. This one was perfect. We can practice telling time with the game feature. Which we've actually used (wasn't sure if we'd actually use it since sometimes extra features don't get used). Wonderful to be able to set it in analog mode, digital mode or both. We love the "talking" feature. When her alarm is set and turned on, it "talks" to her and says "you're getting up at 6:40am". Love it. And the alarm when it goes off is not annoying like the buzzing/beeping on your basic digital alarm clock. You have 3 color features (blue, pink, yellow) for the face which is awesome. She picked pink. It's small enough that it doesn't take up a ton of space. I just can't say enough good things about it. Wish I would have bought it a long time ago. Love the night light feature. And are not bothered at all by the constant back light. She has always used a night so this is a nice way of getting the best of both worlds. Oh and it sure has made getting up in the morning a little easier since she gets excited about using her own alarm clock. I used to have to practically drag her out of bed (which still happens here and there but not as much) but with her using her own alarm clock she gets up most of the time on her own and starts getting ready without me having to say a word. Absolutely recommend this clock to every parent.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Too bright" an understatement, June 4, 2011
katelands (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Innovative Teach Me Time! Talking Alarm Clock and Nightlight (Kitchen)
We bought this clock for my almost two-year-old who has been waking up at 5:30 am, extremely tired, crying and shouting, "Morning!" We also have a 4-month-old who is awake for a good part of the night and is now getting woken up by his brother, so I was desperate enough to pay for 2-day mail. Many reviewers have complained about the clock's brightness but some describe how to turn off the nightlight and even disconnect the lights in the feet, so I wasn't worried. When I followed the directions to turn off the optional yellow glow in the globe, however, I discovered that even then, the FACE (and feet) still puts off an incredible amount of light. We decided to try it anyway. The fist night my son awoke about six times. I would find him screaming and crying in his crib, pointing at this object that made it look like a UFO was landing in his formerly dark room. He was completely confused and upset and wanted to get up. I kept convincing him to lie down again but he would be up within two hours. At 4 am he was up for good, despite my husband going in and lying on the floor and making him wait til 6, when we'd set the thing to turn green. He tried to explain to my son, "See? Now morning! Now morning!" But to him, a big blasting light was a big blasting light, yellow or green. We tried it again the next night and the same exact thing happened. We were up all night and it was excruciating knowing that in trying to fix this problem we'd made it even worse. Don't know why in God's name there isn't an option for it to just be dark and then turn on in the morning, when it's time to wake. It doesn't help AT ALL to turn off the extra nightlight function, so I suspect that the reviewers who happily describe how that "solves the problem" are actually from the company (don't be surprised, it happens all the time). Anyway, this is an utterly stupid product that aggravates the problem it is supposed to solve, and we'll be returning it asap. We're going to follow another reviewer's advice and buy a $5 outlet timer that we can plug any light or lamp into.

1.0 out of 5 stars Backlite is way too bright - skip it if you currently don't use nightlights, October 9, 2010
This clock actually made my son start waking up earlier! Clearly lots of people love this so its probably OK if your kids are used to nightlights but if they are not I would not recommend it. There are 3 lights on this clock
1) the nightlight which is the "body" around the clock - this you can turn off completely during the night and just have it light up with its waking time
2) the "backlight" on the clock face. You cannot turn off this light. You can turn it down but it is still extremely bright. This is what caused my son to start waking earlier not later.
3) the lights around the clock feet- I think another reviewer describes how to turn these off but it involves taking the clock apart -there is no control to do this.

So even if you take the clock apart you are stuck with light 2 which if you have a really dark room is actually a very bright light.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great alarm clock for kids!, June 25, 2010
We use this alarm mainly for our preschooler to wake up herself in the morning. She easily turns it off, even hits snooze on occasion. It also has some neat features for teaching kids to tell time. The only drawback is the sound level of the alarm needs to be made adjustable. I don't like alarms going off loudly and this one is borderline loud. Some people need it loud though. Otherwise a nice product for kids.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unit failed after 3 months of use, January 5, 2010
After struggling to program this, the power cord connection failed so that the clock no longer lit up. The battery back-up ensures that it keeps time and that the idoitic voice can still be heard but the key function, the lights changing color, does not work without the power cord.

I'm unable to return this because it is outside the return window, even though the product failed. A lot of money down the drain.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: Cheaply made, poor quality control, unreliable, April 21, 2013
We've now gone through three of these in the past few months. They sound great in theory, but are awful in practice. Clock #1 arrived with a cracked screen. Clock #2 ran slow -- several hours slow after a test that lasted more than 12 hours. Clock #3 just went down today -- it was unplugged, and when plugged back in the screen was completely blank. I've tested battery backup on all three units and have had mixed results, but none of them worked as they were supposed to on battery power. I don't usually leave Amazon reviews for products and am not a complainer by nature. But this is ridiculous and, unfortunately, the return window on Clock #3 expired a few weeks ago. In sum, I am incredibly frustrated with this product and wouldn't even think about rolling the dice on another were it not for the fact that I haven't found anything similar -- as mentioned above, this clock is what we want in theory. Too bad the execution stinks. >:-(

Rate and Discover Movies