Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: American Legacies
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 14, 2011
I have been a long time Del Mccoury band fan, and when I first herd of this collaboration I was leary. Bluegrass and jazz are not two genres that normally go together; and that is what makes this so special. Not only does this work, but it flows naturally and never seems forced. All the musicians on this project are ultra talented and feed off each other very well. The music vascilates between the bluegrass and jazz so well you almost never notice it happens.

All the songs are very upbeat and pleasant. Del's voice with a full jazz and bluegrass band is great. The highlight of the album for me is the gospel song "I'll fly away". It is the bet rendition of this song I've herd in some time. Also of intrest is the remake of Del's song "50/50 chance", which is "jazzified". A very nice touch, on a very nice album.

I love the fact that the Del Mccoury band has only improved over the years (no small feat considering how long Del has been doing this), and are always willing to try new things and create one-of-a-kind music. A+ effort and outcome all the way, and if your a fan of either group you want to give this a spin.
on September 14, 2011
First, I'd like to mention that I enjoyed reading the prior reviews, and I really liked what most the earlier reviewers stated. Being from Louisiana, I have been a long time fan of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, from New Orleans, Louisiana. Also, I have been a long time fan of the Del McCoury Bluegrass Band. I love Jazz & I love Bluegrass. This combination of one of the best Jazz bands in the world, along with one of the best bluegrass bands in the world, creates some Pure, Original, "Hybrid", Outstanding American Music at it's very best. "American Legacies" is a very fitting name for this combo of genres.

The songs are all outstanding, this is definitely Album oriented music. The songs include great Amercian Classics, including Jazz Standards, Country/Bluegrass Standards, and even a Gospel Song (I'll Fly Away). I really enjoyed their take on the Hank Williams Classic "Jambalya", it has always been a Louisiana Favorite.

If you liked the Deluxe Edition of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band's Benefit Music Outreach Album CD, with various guest artists from various genres, including The Del McCoury Band, then you will most likely enjoy this great album CD & vice versa. Also, if you like the Del McCoury Band you will probably like the Charlie Daniels Bluegrass DVD: "Preachin', Prayin', Singin", which includes members of the Del McCoury Band.

This is a Great American Music Album CD, and I highly recommend it. Thanks very much!!!!
on January 25, 2013
This is an interesting album. The playing is excellent. The music is lively and vibrant. However, I was led to believe from other reviews that it was cross over between dixieland and bluegrass. In truth it had little flavor of either and more resembled a lively swing type music. Still I would recommend it highly for its own unique qualities.
on October 13, 2012
A combination of American classic music styles. The music can be used by each style interchangably with great results. The quality of the bands and the selection of tunes illustrates how each band can jam with each tune.
Highly recommended for fans of both traditional jazz and bluegrass and those who want to experience outstanding musianship.
on July 20, 2011
This will be short and sweet.....if you love music, listen to this CD. Read the other reviews for the details.

I saw the group on Letterman last night (7-19-11) play "I'll Fly Away" and knew I had to see them live.
on September 22, 2012
When it comes to bluegrass and New Orleans jazz, nobody does it better than these two bands. To hear them together is a special treat, especially when they are creating a new American Legacy.
on March 3, 2013
This was a gift to my spouse and he really likes it.. It's the bouncy jazz of New Orleans and I found it hard to just sit still and listen. I wanted to jump up and dance to it.
on May 24, 2012
Love this disc. Saw them live 2 months agoo and couldn't wait to buy it. Bought a copy for my Mother for Mother's Day. She loves it.
on August 21, 2011
American Legacies must be one of the best duets between legends from american music.
It's a Classic Album for new and old generations of fans in the world.Sounds like a magic
moment from two great icons of american music that are already a long-time partners.
A Work Of Art!!!!!
on January 8, 2014
...that hits the mark on nearly every cut. As a music teacher, I will be using this in my jazz unit as examples of how two roots music styles can meld to create a new and popular music.