4.0 out of 5 stars Hermione Granger Would Approve!
I bought this game for my mom and myself. I am interested in brain building games, but I found online subscriptions inconvenient because I often lost interest after a few months. I figured for the price, this was a good investment.

Published 15 months ago by grayjessical75

2.0 out of 5 stars cute
Published 12 months ago by Christina L. Payette

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Hermione Granger Would Approve!, March 24, 2013
This review is from: American Mensa Academy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)

Overall, I do like it. It is challenging enough. The games can seem deceptively simple. I find them interesting. However, the game can be a little stressful because you don't have a lot of time to work things out. For anyone who has test anxiety, you may not enjoy this game. My mom had a hard time understanding the rules, though her eyesight is bad so she can't read. One thing I don't like about this game is that it doesn't explain the answers that you get wrong (though supposedly they do on the test). For the life of me, I do not know why a balalaika is like a lung.

I haven't played all the levels, and I have not played party mode (which multiple players). The test can be intimidating, but the games start out much easier (so don't worry). Coach is much like the games in solo play, except you have to get a higher amount of points. What is nice about coach, though, is that it explains the games more and gives tips.

There are several categories:
LANGUAGE: games include putting words in alphabetical order, choosing the letter missing in a word, trying to figure out what a bunch of jumbled letters spell, choosing which word doesn't belong with the rest, and choosing words that are antonyms. I have not played shuffleword. Word deductions gives you four words, and you have to figure out the number sequence associated with them. For instance, unicycle = 1.

NUMERACY: This tests your math skills. You need to know all the basic operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You also need to know fractions. Sometimes you have to choose the numbers to make an equation true (or even harder the math sign). I have unlocked all the numeracy games just yet.

LOGIC: It will ask you what word is most like or least like a given word. You have to be sure to read what they say, because it is easy to stop reading if you get asked several questions that want the "most like" and then suddenly they ask you a "least like". Some advice: squash seems to be a game to them rather than a vegetable. This game sometimes has some British terms, which may be difficult for Americans who aren't familiar with them. Another test will have a geometric shape with a dot in it. It gets turned around, and you have to figure out what the next one will be. I haven't unlocked all the logic games either. Chain reaction has a chain of geometric shapes that repeat in an order. Somewhere there is a gap, and you have to figure out which answer completes the chain. Another game gives you a group of numbers, and you have to figure out what the missing number is. Usually, there is a theme--the numbers go up by three, or they are all multiples of seven. Alchemy gives you a color key (red + blue = green; green + red = blue, etc). They then give you an equation: red---green + blue--red = ?.

VISUAL: You see a hare and tortoise racing in one game, and you have to decide which one will win. Surprise! It isn't always the hare--or the tortoise. Line-up is fun. It gives you clothes that the suspect is wearing (usually a hat, buckle, and shoes), and you have to choose the suspect that is wearing them. Jungle japes is like a carnival game. You get a card of masks, and you have to hit them in the correct order. It gets harder as you go along because there will be masks that are similar in color but have different designs. There are also things put in to distract you. One problem with this game is that I don't find it is always sensitive. Sometimes I select something, and it doesn't seem to "take". Next to Memory, Visual is one of my favorite sections.

MEMORY: Face facts--they show you a face, and then you have to choose the features it had. Usually it is eyes/eyebrows, nose, mouth. Zoo capers has zoo animals appearing in a certain order (though sometimes they have other objects). You have to remember the order and number of each animal. Cacophony is like Zoo capers, but it is both sound and visual. You have to remember the order of the musical instruments. Sometimes you will select an instrument twice because it plays twice.

The game's visuals are like a puppet show. They are cute. Some of the music is nice. It is a good game when you need "stimulating". It isn't a good game if you want to relax. I also would not really like to play it with other people, being that my experience that these games tend to bring out the worst in people who like to crow about their intelligence or abuse people for being nerds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Educational and Entertaining for the Whole Family, December 4, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Saw this and thought it would be a fun game for my kids and I find myself playing it almost as much as they do. The mini-games are visually interesting and dynamic and keep you engaged. I'm glad to have found a game that keeps the kids entertained but also challenges them. Some of the IQ Test questions stretched my brain as well and I keep finding myself going back to try to get a better IQ test score. I would recommend this as a fun pick-up-and-play game that everyone in the house will enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best brain trainer!, December 4, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game beats the other "brain training" games by a mile. It actually gives you a score than means something, as it's Mensa endorsed and follows the Mensa scoring guidelines. I gotta say, it's fun comparing your Mensa score to other family members and in my case, having my wife and kids throw it in my face that I'm not as smart as they are. LOL. But seriously, if you have ever wanted to know how you fare on a true IQ test, get this game. It's great for kids, too, because the questions are positioned like games, so kids have just as much fun as adults. Awesome game, so glad I tried it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for retired parents, February 12, 2013
This review is from: American Mensa Academy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
My parents have a Wii that they don't use probably enough. They are retired (70+). My mom loves word games and puzzles and getting my dad to play is like pulling teeth. They reported back a big thumbs up on this game.

So consider this review a thumbs up from the older retired crowd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extensive, April 28, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Starts off easy and gradually gets harder with many categories and a genuine Mensa test, and lots of unlockables. Great for brain exercise and as an IQ test, well priced, available via eShop download or retail. Pleased with this purchase! FYI currently on sale for ten dollars in eShop.

4.0 out of 5 stars smart game / great value, April 14, 2013
This review is from: American Mensa Academy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
ordered this game because it looked like a good value in mental exercise.
after a couple of weeks playing, i love it.

i am over 40 and was looking to get/stay sharper.
this game trains me to think more logically, more quickly.

gameplay starts out easy enough to get used to the questions. you can dive right in.
difficulty increases as you advance.
you can play to progress through the levels, get coaching from the professor for a specific challenge, and/or take a brain-twisting test.

this game will keep me interested and playing for a long time.

i don't know if this game will prepare you for the Mensa test, but i don't see how it could hurt.
i have taken an IQ test before and it seems to me that being used to solving the problems in this game would have helped me in some areas of that test.

CON: it isn't always clear why a particular answer is correct. the game does a good job at explaining/demonstrating how to arrive at the correct answer. even so, there have been several times where i couldn't figure out why one answer was correct over another.

2.0 out of 5 stars cute, July 5, 2013
I like the games and the IQ tests, but I really don't like the interface design. I assumed that to select an answer, you could just click on it, but all the answers are on the top screen, and you use the stylus on the bottom screen to direct a pointer on the top screen to the answer. Because your score is based on time, it takes longer to select the answer this way. So I was really disappointed with the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars How smart are you?, March 12, 2013
TracyLee (richmond, va, US) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: American Mensa Academy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I really enjoyed this game because it allowed to stretch my brain a little bit. Some of the games or tests were outside of normal thinking. I really had to work hard at some of the activities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty fun game to keep your mind moving, July 11, 2013
This review is from: American Mensa Academy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
My wife and I have enjoyed this game. Plenty of puzzles to work out your mind with logic, memory, math, pattern recognition, etc. I wish that it had more on the coaching side of things or had the option to simply tutor through difficult puzzles until one gets faster and more proficient. It would also be nice if the program would explain the crux of different puzzles. Oh well, perhaps with the next version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, February 16, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Downloaded this for my PS3. My Wife wanted it. She hates video games but this one she loves. The IQ tests are no joke. You will find yourself going back and back trying to get a higher score. I am just glad this games doesnt call me a dummy. Great for kids. They will learn without even knowing it. This Game is fantastic!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

American Mensa Academy - Nintendo Wii
American Mensa Academy - Nintendo Wii by Maximum Games (Nintendo Wii)
$99.95