4.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet and honest, had to get 2 copies - here's why
The first copy was immediately grabbed from my hands by an avid Tony Curtis fan. So (sigh) I got another because I knew that first copy was history.

For those of you who like honest, open memoirs written with "no holds barred"....this ought to be very appealing. I prefer when writers write openly about their revelations, confessions, regrets and joys with...
Published on October 15, 2008 by Kcorn

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be compared with previous autobiography
This book needs to be read in conjunction with Mr. Curtis's previous autobiography: Tony Curtis the autobiography by Tony Curtis (Author)and Barry Paris, which I found to be a far better book. The text is virtually identical, except for the removal of Mr. Paris's notes which filled in the background story. The biggest difference is that whereas the first book was kind...
Published on October 24, 2008 by Eunice

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars An American Bore, March 2, 2009
Tony Curtis was never among my favorite stars but I picked up this book because I love to read anything about Hollywood's Golden Age. There aren't that many surviving stars left to tell how it was to be signed to one of the great studios. Surely, that put you in a terribly rarified world from mere humans.

Alas, Curtis seems to want to prove to the reader--over and over again, in relentless detail--that even more than being a star, he was a l00 percent red hot lover of women. Rarely a page goes by that he doesn't remind us of how over-sexed he was. I'm amazed the birth rate didn't explode whereever he wandered. This type of he-man memoir was typical during the 50s--but today, when stars appear on talk shows and describe everything from their sex lives to their bathroom habits--it simply comes off as yawn-inducing.

I wanted to read more about how some of his famous movies were put together--the technical aspects of famous scenes--and his opinion of his fellow stars. Even here, he remembers all of his co-stars as "wonderful...beautiful..." He even glosses over his notorious remarks about working with Marilyn Monroe. When someone asked him later how he liked working with her, Curtis said: "It was like kissing Hitler." Now, he goes into painful denials that he meant anything negative. Oh, she was wonderful, he now remembers.

Curtis' wandering eye led to his divorce from Janet Leigh and he remarried again and again.

Curtis deserves a good biography from an objective author. We'd love to read more in depth accounts of the making of his classic movies-like The Defiant Ones, Sweet Smell of Success, Trapeze, etc.

American Prince can be read mostly for amusement about why acting wasn't Curtis' great passion in life. It was WOMEN!

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of money, December 11, 2008
This is a terrible book. Every page is filled with Tony Curtis' conquests, who he slept with when. If a female moved he considered her a target. What a huge ego this man has. I was looking for more of a history of Hollywood, written with taste and good sense, that is not what this book is about. I don't recommend this book to anyone. The Robert Wagner book is much better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wow...just...wow., November 23, 2008
And not a good wow, I've never seen a Tony Curtis movie, and after reading this book, I doubt I ever will. He comes across as somebody I really want to like, but even in telling his own side of the story, he comes across as a louse, I would hate to hear how he comes off in the other side of the story.

This book is a long list of marriages, and an even longer list of affairs, he cheats like most people breathe. Then he has the nerve to be angry when he catches his young wife cheating on him, I wanted to shake her hand. He even hit on his current wife while she was on a date with someone else, that it worked tells me he finally found someone he truly deserves.

I can't say some of the Hollywood stories aren't entertaining, but they aren't really worth wading through the distastful and cringe worthy rememberances of this odd man.

1.0 out of 5 stars Never finished!, December 30, 2009
I gave up after the first third of the book. While his early life was relatively interesting, I soon wearied of his boasting of his many sexual conquests. (Ewww!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hollywood tell-all worth reading for its honesty, November 5, 2008
Bernie Schwartz was born in 1925. Throughout a rough childhood, he went to the movies to escape from everyday reality. After a stint in the navy, he moved to Hollywood and changed his name to Tony Curtis. He became a famous actor who played in titles such as "The Flintstones, Some Like It Hot," and "Spartacus." Later in life he found a passion for painting. He and his current wife, Jill, run a ranch for abandoned and abused horses.

This book was a blast to read! Not only does Tony give all the dirt on himself, he also tells some fabulous stories about his friends and co-workers. I love the stories about Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, James Dean, and Frank Sinatra. He really gives you a feel for not only who he is, but who all of these other icons are and were. He tells what really happened between him and several famous actresses such as Marilyn Monroe and Suzanne Pleshette. There is also a section with beautiful pictures of Tony and others.

We also have access to his personal life. He goes in-depth about the mental issues that have plagued his family, including himself. Not only does he go into details about what his childhood was like, he tells us all about the death of his little brother, Julie and the birth of his second brother, Bobby. There is a good glimpse into a life of neglect and abuse. Later he goes on to tell us about all four of his marriages and his children.

Whether you're a fan of Tony Curtis, or you've never even heard of him, this is a great read. It tells the story of a man who climbs from nothing to the top where he finds the dreams he worked so hard for, but along the way he has to sacrifice his other dreams.

If you love actors from this era like I do, then this is a book for your keeper shelf.

Armchair Interviews agrees.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tony in Hollywood, November 9, 2008
I always thought Tony Curtis to be one of the best looking guys in the movies. I loved him in the Vikings and Spartacus, Trapeze, The Rat Race, and The Sweet Smell of Success. However in the later 60s and 70s he appeared in a bunch of silly forgetable movies and never really had another good role. He never really explains why. He glosses over his drug problems which may be the reason for his best acting years being pre drug days. The book is enertaining but that is all. I suspect we will have to wait until Tony is gone and someone does a biography to get the story behind the story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the man I thought he was, November 16, 2008
S. Taylor (Southern California) - See all my reviews
I grew up loving Tony Curtis. I really respected him, however now that I've read his words, I have no respect for him at all. I have often heard that what goes around, comes around and since he wasn't much of a father to his children, maybe they will give him the same send off that he gave his mother. And I resented him talking about Janet Leigh, when she cannot defend herself. I resented that about him with a lot of people he talked about in this book. I can now see why he didn't get many good parts. He was too into himself.
Sandy

1.0 out of 5 stars No class at all, June 8, 2010
Robert A. Bowers "Bowers" (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
For any one who ever thought Tony Curtis had any class, wit or charm, this book will set you straight on that delusion. Mr. Curtis loses no opportunity to trash ex-wives, especially the dead ones, or former co-stars expecially those he can claim to have slept with. Apparently this man never took off his pants without keeping score and a record so he could tell others about it later. We're not talking affairs that touched his heart, we're talking tally sheet lists of easy scores or near misses for reasons other than an attraction to Mr. Curtis. Apparently they all panted for him but a few were prevented from acting on those impulses by outstanding circumstances. The slightly sleazy cheesy opportunist Curtis played in Operation Petticoat? apparently that wasn't acting, that was the real deal.

1.0 out of 5 stars Egocentric, December 10, 2009
This review is from: American Prince: A Memoir (Paperback)
This is possibly the most banal book ever....Tony Curtis's memoir comes across as so egotistic I could hardly bear to finish it and wished I could ask for a refund!

No new information about Hollywood and he writes as though he was just a poor schlep, lol. Blames everyone but himself for his life's ups and downs, was an absent father and thought SEX=LOVE.

Not a gifted actor, except in "Some Like It Hot" and that is a faint "maybe".

I will give him credit for having a whole lot of self-love....

1.0 out of 5 stars American Prince, November 16, 2008
This book helped me to understand the ego driven Mr. Curtis. He was constantly building himself up and putting others down. I did not learn anything about who this talented actor really is. It's obvious he has not come to terms with his unfortunate childhood. I was disappointed that he did not share more experiences with the renown actors and actresses he worked with but instead either demeaned or dismissed them.
A very disappointing book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

American Prince: A Memoir
American Prince: A Memoir by Tony Curtis (Paperback - October 6, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01