5.0 out of 5 stars Verdict after 1.5 years use is... No Regrets!
Published 22 months ago by bzzboy

2.0 out of 5 stars Older 1.6 great. The new 1.28 not so much
Previously I purchased and installed two of these and have not had a clog in years. Finally got around to replacing toilet #3.

Published 9 months ago by Michael I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Verdict after 1.5 years use is... No Regrets!, September 27, 2012
This review is from: American Standard 2034.014.020 Champion-4 Right Height One-Piece Elongated Toilet, White (Tools & Home Improvement)
i didn't want to offer a review until i had sufficient time to evaluate this product. The wife was hesitant to spend this much money on a toilet, but believe me, this thing is coming with us if we move. Our 1.6 gallon Western was VERY problematic, and no other plumbing was changed prior to this purchase. Some notes: It was professionally installed so i can't speak to those details. We added the satin nickel lever to match our fixtures, nice option from AS. Where the rubber hits the road: Performance... Flawless. 18 months use as our primary fixture and not one, i reiterate, not one instance of clogging. No snakes, no plunging, no over-flows. i deliberately pushed the envelope on toilet paper many times to test it, and only had to double-flush two times in 18 months. Sorry to be so TMI, but wanted to give an honest and complete assessment for prospective buyers. If you're searching for a toilet, i guess you'll understand ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toilet; easy to install, March 24, 2013
We just recently purchased an older house in Northern Virginia. The house is about 45 years old and had the original toilets installed. The old toilets were American Standard 3.5 Gallons per flush toilets. We decided to buy 2 new toilets because we remodeled the downstairs bathroom and didn't like the original canary yellow toilet in the kids bathroom. I extensively researched for months the different toilets. After reviewing Consumer Reports and Industrial Trade magazines I decided to choose either the Toto Drake II elongated or the American Standard Champion 4 one piece elongated. They both have excellent reviews and I was having a difficult time deciding between the two.

In the Consumer Reports article they have a Home Depot model and a Lowes model that perform very well and are a CR pick; however when I researched those particular models in more detail, there were many bad reviews on the long term performance of those models; something that the CR article didn't explore in detail. So, even though the cheap HD and Lowes toilets were appealing, I didn't want to have to spend more money and time later to deal with those problems.

In the end I chose to get one Toto Drake II elongated and one American Standard Champion 4 one piece. I chose both because each has it's own advantages. I installed the Toto Drake II elongated downstairs. The Toto is a two piece model and only uses 1.28 Gallons per flush. My wife and I both like the look of the toilet and the internal components are high quality. The toilet seat and wax ring was not included with the toilet, but the bowl to tank gasket and bolts were included as well as the bowl to floor bolts and caps. Installing a toilet is fairly straight forward; however I had tow issues when installing this toilet. The first issue is that the holes that the bolts go through in the bowl to attach to the toilet flange are elongated and wider than the toilet I took out or the American Standard (AS) Champion that I bought. Because they were slightly larger, the steel washer that goes between the bolt and the bowl actually was a little too small and when I tightened down the bolt the washer bent and went inside the hole. I had to go to HD to buy another bolt kit that had larger and thicker steel washers. It was fortunate that the same kit also had bolts with larger heads on them to attach to the toilet flange. The older ones had smaller heads and would pull through the flange when I tightened it down on the left side of the toilet. In addition, I had to buy another water connector, because the toilet sat higher and the old water connector would not longer reach the toilet bowl. In all, I had to spend an additional 60-70 dollars on top of the purchase of the toilet. This included a wax ring, toilet seat, new water connector, and bolt kit.

We put the two-piece toilet downstairs due to the less water usage and we wanted the AS Champion upstairs in the kids bathroom because it was a "one piece" toilet that is supposed to be easier to keep clean and because the AS Champion 4 has been rated number one at the amount of "mass" it is able to flush in one flush. There was a lawsuit against the AS Champion, but this was with the earlier models and not the AS Champion 4 which has had no issues and is highly rated by consumers and professionals.

The AS Champion 4 was more difficult to get into place over the wax ring since it was a one piece design and therefore heavier and more difficult to see where the bolts where in relation to the holes, so aligning the toilet over the bolts before placing it on the was ring was difficult. However, the size of the holes were smaller and not elongated as they were on the Toto, so once the toilet was in place, I didn't have any difficulties with the washer size with the bolts that secured the toilet to the floor. The internal components are also of high quality and seem like that they will last a long time.

Comparison between the two:

Gallons per flush: Toto 1.28 gpf; AS Champion 4 1.6 gpf - Advantage Toto
Two piece vs one piece: Toto 2 piece; AS Champion 1 piece - Advantage AS Champion 4
Cost: Toto Drake II was cheaper even after a $75 instant rebate with the AS - Advantage Toto
Flush: AS Champion 4: rated as best; advantage AS Champion 4
Looks: Draw; both are fairly good looking
Useability: Wife likes the round bowl better than the elongated; I am indifferent; DRAW
Material left behind: AS Champion 4 doesn't leave as much material left on the bowl after a sitting. reduces double flush or having to clean after every use. Advantage AS Champion 4.
Install: For reasons mentioned above - DRAW
Quality: Both high quality, but the Toto Tank cover just sits on top loosely and seems like it could come off easily if bumped. AS Champion 4 is securely attached to the tank. Advantage AS Champion 4

Overall I would highly recommend BOTH toilets. We are happy with both and depending upon where you plan on putting the toilet, they both have distinct advantages. If you can't decide either one, I would go with the AS Champion 4 if you can get the $75 instant rebate that they are offering right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great - Sounds Odd, December 5, 2010
Michael Craig (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
I've had the American Standard one-piece Champion 4 for a 1-1/2 years. It works great and the flush is energetic. It has never stopped-up. It does sound different than a standard toilet but that's just an observation not a criticism. It's a bit hard to justify the cost when you can buy a builders model toilet for less than 1/2 the price. But you will be able to throw away your plumbers helper.

I noticed that some reviewers complained about plastic handles on other models of the Champion 4 series. This one-piece has a metal handle, or did 1-1/2 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great toilet! Better than Kohler's or Toto's, March 21, 2013
I have had this toilet installed now for three months in my master bathroom. In that time, it has proven to be exactly what I wanted -- a good-looking, one-piece, solid toilet that never got clogged or needed plunging. It replaced a very high-end, more expensive Toto that looked even better than this one does, but did get clogged on occasion, and did act oddly sometimes when flushed (the Toto would sort of shoot back water upwards...very strange -- only did it sometimes but, you know, one thing most people expect in a toilet is that the water and contents stay in it when it's flushed!). The other consideration was to get another Kohler Cimarron which I also have in another bathroom. It is a very good-looking toilet too, and usually does it's job well, but it does get clogged at times, so, after reading extensive reviews on many sites, I decided to go with the American Standard, and I am very glad I did. Not to be indelicate, but I had a bout of constipation about a month ago that lasted four days. When it finally released, I just had to know what this toilet could do. So I did not flush until the evacuation was over completely. It took two flushes, but it got it all and did not clog!

It does have a somewhat louder flush than either the Kohler or the Toto, but I find that reassuring somehow. It is a bit heavier than either of the other two, but installing it was a snap. This toilet means business. And the height and elongated bowl make it just about perfect. It looks really good in the bathroom. Some other American Standards have mediocre looks in my opinion, but this one is beautiful. I would give the Cimarron and the high-end Toto a slight edge in the beauty department, but this American Standard looks very good, works better and is cheaper!

This is the one to get!

5.0 out of 5 stars Toilet is a rocket ship..., April 17, 2010
This thing is great. Amazing how much power and speed
are generated by the jets in the tank. Comfy, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars great toilet, May 16, 2012
Great toilet,ordered from Amazon and was delivered without a scratch. Will never need a plunger again. Easy installation and would recommend you use 1/2 inch line as the tank takes some time to fill. Excellent flush and more importantly it does not swirl around in the bowl. The only downside is that you have to hold down the lever for a second for the tank to empty, small price to pay for a great toilet. Be aware that the toilet is a bit big and somewhat heavy, would not recommend where space is tight.

2.0 out of 5 stars Older 1.6 great. The new 1.28 not so much, October 16, 2013

Immediately noticed that it is nowhere near as good as the older two. Took me a while to figure out why. I had used a new fangled wax ring so thought that was the problem so reinstalled with no improvement. Noticed that hang time during which flapper remains open is less than the other two but it is not adjustable. If you hold the handle a couple extra seconds it is closer but then you use more water. Finally noticed that AS went from 1.6 gpf to 1.28. It makes a BIG difference as it is essentially same original design with less water. Not good. Just ordered a toto 1.6.

I suspect that many of the reviews here are for the 1.6. Looking at them, it is hard to easily spot the difference. Using them is another story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Throne Fit for a King or Queen, November 19, 2013
I did a lot of research before purchasing this toilet, and it appears that there is a lot of confusion about toilets - even in some of the reviews here. I bought this exact toilet from Amazon, and it has ALL of the following characteristics: Champion 4 model; one piece construction; elongated bowl; 1.6 GPF; EverClean surface; and 16.5 inch seat height (so-called "right height"). If you read any review of any toilet that does not have all of these characteristsicws, then it is NOT this toilet - perhaps a close cousin, as not all Champion 4 toilets have this particular combination fo features. Thus one has to be very careful when comparing "the same toilet" from different vendors.

The toilet arrived at my garage door double boxed. When I opened the boxes, I was pleased to see that it was totally undamaged. As indicated in the description here, it comes with everything except the seat, and a wax ring for installation.

When it comes to installation, there are a couple of issues. First, as this is a one-piece unit, and it has an elongated bowl, it is significantly heavier and more awkward to move and maneuver than the bowl of a standard two-piece unit. Fortunately I am a fairly large and strong individual, so I managed it without too much difficulty. But for someone smaller or weaker, I believe that it could be a challenge - especially the final positioning after the wax ring is installed. The only real installation issue I had was in trying to adjust the length of the chain in the tank, which I found to be needlessly difficult and involved an unnecessary risk of losing one or more very small special parts that would have made the toilet non-functional and would have had to have been special ordered if lost. There was no reason to make the chain so difficult to adjust and I doubt that it was really necessary to use these small custom parts, and that is the main reason I only gave this unit four stars (I would really like to give it 4 and a half stars).

The performance of this toilet is incredible. This toilet replaced an older 3.5 GPF toilet and this toilet just blows it away for pure flushing power. Not to be too indelicate, but we have given this unit some major challenges already, and it passed them all with flying colors. I cannot imagine what it would take to clog this thing. It inspires total confidence.

I also really like the one-piece look. Much more elegant and attractive than a two-piece unit.

I am a tall fellow, and I greatly prefer the 16.5 inch seat height than the 15 inch height of some units. On the other hand, I don't like the look fo the elongated bowl, and I wish they made this exact unit with a round bowl, but they do not. They make a two-piece Champion 4 with a round bowl, and a 1.28 GPF unit with a round bowl, but not this exact same one-piece unit with a round bowl. But I suppose that the seat height and the bowl shape are matters of personal preference.

I like this toilet so much that I will be replacing two more of our older toilets with two more of these units, And I have one other bathroom where I would like to install this unit, except that the bathroom is rather small and this unit with its elongated toilet is a bit large. Again, I wish they made this exact unit with a round bowl.

Bottom Line: This is a great toilet which functions unbelievably well and also looks very sharp, and it would be perfect except for an unnecessary installation issue.

EIGHT MONTH FOLLOW-UP

Still in love with this toilet. I have not seen the plunger since I bought this - despite some episodes that would have brought my old toilet to its knees. These are the only toilets I will put in my houses going forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, January 28, 2013
Yes, I've read other not-so-good reviews. However, this "machine" does the job for us! Don't laugh! It is a MACHINE! How American Standard produced such an efficient flush from so little water is truly amazing. Yes, its flush is somewhat noisy; but who really cares? It does the job. I love the one piece; there's no bowl-to-tank seal that can leak. I have one caution though, this one piece is obviously heavier than just the bowl of a two-piece toilet. So, if you install it yourself, as I did, be prepared for a challenge. If you're tired of plunging like we were, junk that old toilet and buy this MACHINE. You'll not regret it!

UPDATE 02/22/2014 - We've used this outstanding toilet for over a year, and it still works flawlessly! We're building a new addition to our house, and it will have two additional bathrooms. Rest assured this toilet will be in each of those new bathrooms! Thank you American Standard!

4.0 out of 5 stars Top rated on Consumer Reports, February 19, 2012
Went to Consumer Reports to see what the top rated toilet was...They recommended this one. Arrived in perfect condition and got it installed with no problem. Doesn't really seem to have the suction power I was hoping for but the jury is still out. My standards might be too high. I love that it is a one piece. I'll never go back to a two piece again. I ordered the plastic seat that was recommended with it and with the lid closed, I feel like I'm going to fall through the top of it. Very thin (and I'm a skinny guy). I'd look into a sturdier seat if you get this. Maybe something made of wood.

Rate and Discover Movies