5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and quiet, great for average-to-tall family.
Flush: I'm able to flush half a cat-box worth of flushable litter down the drain with a single flush. I'm impressed! Our old loud assisted power flush toilet couldn't manage half that and this model is very quiet.

Published on October 14, 2012 by J. Blair

1.0 out of 5 stars Factory flaw
Published 14 months ago by Marion McCormick

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and quiet, great for average-to-tall family., October 14, 2012
J. Blair (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Standard 2886.216.020 H2Option Siphonic Dual Flush Right Height Elongated Two-Piece Toilet, White (Tools & Home Improvement)

Bowl: The height is great for our family (all of us are taller than 5'4", and some are 6'6"), but might be a little bit of a challenge for families with many small children as the seat sits 2 inches higher than normal toilets. But, once children are grown, this height is better; average+ adults and the elderly usually find it more natural.

The elongated shape works well for tall and larger people as well as it supports more of the seat and thighs than the old fashioned round bowl. For the elderly or weakened, this is also more ergonomic. Plus, it doesn't hurt to make the "target area" for boys and men easier to hit, leaving your bathroom cleaner. But, it does take up a few more inches of space, depth-wise. If your powder room is cramped, this bowl might not be the best option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worlds Best Toilet, January 22, 2013
Once a guy gets used to an elongated bowl, it's hard go back to a round bowl toilet. I chose this toilet to replace the short, stumpy, round bowl in our master bathroom. It was very easy to install, all I needed was a wax ring and a toilet seat.

I love the way this toilet flushes. Instead of dumping a bunch of water in the bowl, having it swirl up and around, and down the drain, this toilet power-sucks the waste down the drain, and sprays water down the sides to clean the bowl. This means less residue on the bowl, and flushes are very powerful.

It doesn't clog, and saves water. I use the small flush about 90% of the time, but it's great to have the large flush option when needed. I can highly recommend this toilet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toilet!!, March 22, 2013
I was frustrated at how hard it is to find models that aren't big box SKU's, packaged for the big box stores and cheapened up to fit the price points they need. Of course they'll order these and other main models for you, at full MSRP. Same thing with specialized showrooms.

I was hesitant to order a toilet online but to my surprise it was great!

The toilet itself, well, honest reviews of toilets aren't for the faint of heart. But, I appreciated some of the frank reviews, so here goes the down and dirty.

This went in a small powder room that is a primary bathroom for guests as well as the family. It's probably the most used in the house. That said, I wanted a dual flush to get as much water savings as possible as the main use is light flushing (liquid). I also wanted comfortable, and efficient. It's everything I expected and more. I adjusted the water level a little lower than I think it calls for, so it's "1" flush appears to be less than 1 gallon and honestly, that's all it needs most of the time. I've tested and it handles everything I can "dump" in it.

People talk about "streaking" from solid waste and so far, it's no different that any toilet, some "solid" is going to streak no matter if you had a garden hose spraying it down so the high flush usually doesn't do anything more than the low flush does, it's removes everything that's not "stuck" good, and does it quickly and quietly. The nice thing about this toilet over others is how quickly "streaking" is taken care of, just sitting there in water. And so far, every "streak" is under water because of how well the comfortable seating puts everything in alignment for a perfect "target" area, the water bowl.

Even with our water, which usually starts leaving stains (from the water) pretty quickly, this toilet looks clean and fresh as new and it has not been cleaned with anything, at all. I guess that Everclean surface works!

Installation was a breeze, if you've ever set toilets before and do it right not getting caught up in the hype with all the different wax ring products. As long as your flange is at or above the floor surface, there is no need to anything but a standard $1 wax ring. A light coat of silicone around the edge and carefully set. Hooking it up is also easier than usual because everything is already pretty much set up and ready to go.

The "right height" is just that. I was ready to go ahead and replace the other toilets in the house.

If I could find anything to complain about, I'd have to say it's seeing that the bowl is made in China and the tank in Mexico. The instructions mention setting the water level to the mark in the tank, which doesn't exist. It seems set right anyway, but I lowered i a little. Because of the dark colors and lighting in the room, sometimes if I look hard enough it seems like the color of the bowl and tank are slightly different but frankly as anal as I am, I can't honestly say that's a fact. The lighting and colors of the environment and the different angles of view of all the surfaces always make even the same surface appear different if you look hard enough. Even pointing it out, no one else has been able to see a difference. So there, for what it's worth, I tried to find a negative.

So overall, this thing is comfortable, flushes fast and quiet, refills quickly and quietly and looks great. And the price on Amazon was about the same as the "high end" cheaper bundled big box store toilets designed for maximum profit from unknowing retail consumers so this is a deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars J & E, September 17, 2012
Thank you Amazon!!! We were faced with replacing our favorite push button toilet for which parts and/or replacement toilets were no longer available. After days of shopping both in stores and online it looked like a dual flush toilet might be a good replacement option even though several models seemed far better than others. It seemed a little unusual to order a toilet from Amazon but we decided to take a chance on this model because of the wonderful favorable reviews given. The toilet was delivered in good shape and earlier than the estimate and my husband completed the installation without troubles. After over a month's experience we can truly add our most hearty recommendations. We are definitely saving water and so far both levels of flush are most efficient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sitting Pretty, October 22, 2012
We bought this model - American Standard "Cadet" with elongated bowl and Euro-style dual-flush - at Lowe's for $199. We selected it for its clean lines and of course the dual-flush option. I was VERY pleased with the completeness of the package -- if you have an existing toilet to replace with a modern water supply, everything you need is in the box -- all the bolts, the wax ring, well-written instructions, even tools.
This "American Standard" toilet is made in Mexico, but it is well-engineered. For instance, you bolt it down with plastic connectors that are strong enought to secure it, but will protect the home handyman from cracking the porcelain. Even the tool is designed to prevent you from over-tightening.
As others have mentioned, it does sit a few inches higher than standard toilets. That is fine for me - 6 feet tall - but a tad high for my wife, who is 5' 6". I like the height, but be aware of it before you buy.
Installation was a breeze, but expect to spend perhaps 2 hours on it. So far, the performance is great. It would be 5 stars, but I'm knocking it down to 4 for one quality flaw. The "light flush" button on top works fine, but the "heavy flush" button sticks in the down position after a flush. It is adjustable, and I was able to make an adjustment to prevent the button from going down far enough to get stuck. But still, that mechanism is defective and I may have to get the manufacturer to replace it. It is working fine this way for now.
Overall, I would recommend this toilet. I'm replacing another toilet soon and it will probably be this model that I choose again.
**EDIT one month later: American Standard gets props for offering to send me a new flush button. We were happy enough with this toilet that we bought a second one for the powder room. This one is the exact same design. The ceramic was not clean, the inside of the tank was poorly finished, the wax ring was damaged. None of these were deal-breakers so I installed it. The full flush works fine, but the econo-flush worked less than half the time until I adjusted the fill level. Because I got no argument on the defective flush button on Toilet #1, I am bumping this up to 5 stars.
UPDATE 7/4/2014: Both are working perfectly, including the flush buttons. Easily justifies the 5-star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dual-flush toilet, January 2, 2012
Our toilet was having problems flushing and finally an overflow prompted us to redo the entire bathroom. I really wanted a dual-flush toilet for the 1/2 bath, but our contractor said we couldn't have one with a skirt, so I couldn't get the Toto I had been eyeing. We went with the American Standard because of the size and previous reviews, and I'm extremely pleased. The tank is super tiny, almost cute, even. More importantly, the flush works just as expected. It seems like there couldn't possibly be enough water flowing to move the bowl contents, but despite our best efforts to challenge the system, we have been consistently pleased with the flush action for both the soft and hard flush. I think you could get away with using the soft flush for most "applications", if you know what I mean. Unlike other low-flow toilets, there is adequate water surface area in the bowl, so "deposits" don't hit the porcelain. It fills quickly, flushes relatively quietly, and the buttons are clean-looking and easy to push. What more could you want? :)

We have been even walking down the flight of stairs to go #1, since our other toilets are the super ancient, bagillian gallon-a-flush monstrosities. I would have liked to have seen the water savings, but we haven't been living in our house long enough to know water bills well enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, March 26, 2012
Had the toilet now for about 4 months. It works quite well! I like that the flusher is different than others and I get compliments on that. Only one clog with too much toilet paper, that is why I gave it 4 stars and not 5; I thought it was clog proof. But compared with my other toilet it hands down wins.

I watch a show called "Holmes on homes" on hgtv, and they installed these toilets because they new they were quality. That pretty much sells it for me because if Mike Holmes thinks its good, its tough to disagree with him!

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated: Great product, good design, December 15, 2012
Winston Gerald Howard (Mclean, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
I received this item and proceededAmazonall it myself. Nothing too complex, just some elbow grease and followed the directions closely. After the toilet was installed, I noticed a black spot in the very bottom of bowl. I attempted to clean the spot until I determined this was an imperfection in the porcelain. Aside from the damage, the product works as advertised, just be sure to check thoroughly before installing this item. I'm considering returning the product.

Updated: I Returned The First product. The Process Is So Easy With Amazon!

The Second One I Received Was Perfect. I Would Purchase Again.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good - AS 2888.216, March 1, 2012
The installation was very straightforward. Since I was replacing an old toilet I had to do some additional items like replacing my damaged flange. I also had to do a lot of shimming. The dual flush toilet operates to expectations. I am extremely pleased with the rim 'swirl' flush action which washes the bowl sides and helps to keep it clean. Two problems I had: my first shipment had box 1 of 2 (the bowl). Since UPS had delivery complete I had to call amazon. They did get box 2 of 2 (the tank) delivered in a couple of days. The second problem was the flush mechanism hold down - it was a plastic bendover piece that was broken off already when I opened the tank box. I installed it anyway and the flush mechanism works just fine. I will keep my eyes open on it to make sure it continues to operate correctly. If necessary I will make a little clip to hold down the mechanism.

1.0 out of 5 stars Factory flaw, August 17, 2013
I received this item... installed month later. After 3 weeks floor was wet... thought it was the wax seal...changed it! (took a week for me to get the time) After 8 hrs., floor was wet! I could not find where the water was coming from... used a bright LED light and with my hand felt all around the bowl... there it was a crack at the base of the bowl...the box showed no damage and the crack did not go to an edge... this was a factory flaw that showed up after people had sat on it for a couple of weeks... AMAZON has refused refund or replacement. I am one hell of an AMAZON customer and that will now change!!!