Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: American Tourister Luggage Ilite Dlx 29 Inch Spinner, Black, One Size
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 10, 2011
We bought the suitcase for a cruse out of Vancouver to Alaska. We live in Washington DC so we needed a strong suitcase that the family could use. This suitcase came through with flying colors. It took a hard beating on its first trip but it still looks great.

The size was large enough for our 3 member family and the weight was not over 50 pounds when weighed. We did take steps to only place clothes in the case. The rollers made the suitcase a breeze to lug around when we had too. The color options are enough so you do not have to have black and look like so many of the other suitcases on the conveyer belt at the baggage claim area.

We hope it last 16 years like our last American Tourister luggage we bought when we first married.
on July 8, 2012
We have four of these, all of which were bought at Target, so there was no risk of receiving a less-than-perfect-condition item, as happened to one reviewer. We've taken three of the bags on a total of eight flight segments and on and off a cruise ship. (Cruise lines tend to be even worse than airports and airlines when it comes to treatment of luggage.) We've also dragged them a long way, including a quarter mile to a water taxi in Venice. The three bags still look absolutely like new. The only mishap has been loss of a zipper tab, which disappeared between luggage pick-up on a ship and arriving at home. My guess is that a glancing blow on a conveyor knocked it off. The luggage has a 10 year warranty, so I expect to get a replacement tab and reattach it myself. (Warranties may not be as good as they sound when you consider the problem of shipment. If you bought from Amazon, you'd at least have a box.)

The bags roll and swivel well. Spinners, as you probably know, will swivel and roll freely while standing upright. Unlike some spinners, these bags will roll backward while tilted forward, which can be handy when going on and off elevators where there's not enough room to turn around. This is what the ad copy means when it says "Push, pull, or turn in any direction with effortless mobility." When on a flat, smooth surface, I can slip my Tumi roll-aboard over the American Tourister's handle and roll the AT upright. This vastly reduces the burden on long hauls. The bag did just fine carrying the extra weight, which probably exceeded a total of 75 pounds.

The name of the game now in air travel is to make full use of your 50-pound allowance for checked bags. I've weighed all four of the AT 29s empty, and they come in within a tenth of a pound of 11.5 pounds. That's about half the weight of some of our older luggage, and it's a big deal, given the 50 pound limits. The expansion feature will allow you to get the weight up to 50 pounds, even when packing only clothing. It's obvious that these bags were sized to reach a total weight of 50 pounds, and with heavier (denser) items, you can exceed 50 pounds without using the expansion volume. Today's savvy traveler who is pushed against the weight limit will put his heavy (high-density) stuff in carry-on bags, which currently have limits on dimensions but not on weight. Under such conditions, many will use a roll-aboard and a back pack (or in my wife's case, a large pocketbook) along with a single checked bag. On a full plane, you won't be allowed to put two carry-ons in the overhead, so one will have to go under the seat. If the backpack is fairly small, it can fit under the seat without totally constricting leg movement on long flights. If you use this trick to handle your heavy (dense) items, you'll likely be able to make full use of the expansion feature without going over 50 pounds. A disadvantage of the expansion feature is that your clothes will be compressed when the bags are stacked. The expansion goes outside of the basic frame. I prefer to keep the expansion volume zipped down when possible.

So far I'm extremely pleased with this luggage. If I have problems later, I'll update this review.

***Update*** I've now had four of these for another year. They've been overseas again and on another cruise ship as well as several CONUS trips. I wouldn't trade them for anything out there.

PS: If you're concerned about weight, you MUST buy one of the little portable luggage scales. If we lost ours, we'd be in big trouble.
on February 11, 2012
This luggage is just what we were looking for- it's a spinner with good capacity. It's well built and the blue color makes it stand apart from the other luggage on the baggage conveyor belt. Since airlines charge by the suitcase, we pack as much clothing as we can (up to the 50 lb limit) so we don't have to take 2 medium suitcases. It saves us $25 a flight meaning after 2 round trips, it's paid for.
on August 28, 2011
We bought this for a 2 week trip to Italy. It holds lots - even more than the allowable weight of 50 lbs.
on June 25, 2012
Many airlines have a 65 total inches limit for a single bag ( L+W+D). The stated measurement on this suitcase are not correct!
They may apply to the inside, but I put a tape on this and the 11.5 inches for the depth should be a mimimum of 14. The 11.5 appears to be just for the main compartment and does not include the 2 front zippered areas ( and that is with nothing in them ). Top to bottom is 30 " and that does Not include the wheels which add another 3 inches and as such, put this over the 65" limit. It's pretty close, again with nothing packed in the front pockets, and maybe most airlines won't really measure it. It is well built, great colour and works very well.
on September 29, 2010
I purchased this item knowing that the name "American Tourister" was very reputable. I was totally disappointed in the product. The first piece of luggage I received was stained in the lining and on the bottom of the case. The handle was not put on straight too. I called, and Luggage Pros very graciously sent me another suitcase and told me I would receive a return label for the damaged case. I was leaving for Europe in two days, so time was tight. The second case when it arrived, looked much better. However, after one day of flying and being put on a tour bus, the case arrived at my hotel with damage to the material. A large line had been made across the front and the fabric was fraying in numerous places. Unfortunately, after this experience, I will never buy American Tourister again! Buyer beware. And I'm still waiting for the return label to ship the first suitcase back.
on February 9, 2012
Two days ago I got my suitcase. I was struck by its size, it is simply huge. Made of very good material. Felt the quality of this company. Internal and external decoration as a very good quality. A good, solid grip. I am happy, satisfied and happy that I can use the product of this company. It is really very high quality and reliable product. In the near week, I try it in flying to another state. I hope that it will show itself worthy. My rating of 5 stars. High-quality and reliable product for little money. I'm happy.
on February 22, 2012
Very fast shipping from EBags. Like one of the other posters stated, it is BIG! Of course I immediately opened it and tested the zippers, etc.
What I noticed right away is the zippers have little black tabs on them...not the regular type. I think it will make it a lost easier to open.
The wheels all work, of course,and they have covers over them for protection.
I love the color (red), it matches my carry on bag.
I travel frequently, and I had a problem with my bag tipping over while waiting for a shuttle....as a result of not packing correctly, it looks like that problem will be solved.
on November 27, 2012
Purchased this full size piece to compliment a similar but not exact American Tourister set for a cruise. After the first leg of the trip, a flight to Florida, the seams had already begun to fray and shred. I thought perhaps this was typical wear from rough handling typical of travel. The second leg was from the airport to the cruise ship - more fraying and tearing. The last leg the piece was handled by valets on the cruise ship direct to the airport and finally home. Upon arrival, found that most every seam was either fraying or showing signs of shredding and 1 wheel was completely torn off. I know that luggage handlers are rough, but the screws were still in the bottom of the piece and no wheel! The piece lasted only 1 trip!

As a side note, the accompanying American Tourister set made the same trip and many more unscathed.
on August 12, 2012
We loved the suitcase when we got it. It rolls nicely and fits a ton of stuff, but after one trip to Disney, the seams are fraying in 4-5 spots. I am in the process of contacting customer support. I'd hate to have to pay shipping to RMA this beast. I'll update when the situation is rectified.