5.0 out of 5 stars BEST LUGGAGE!!
Published 16 months ago by Juanita Marie Unruh

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but...
Published 14 months ago by L. D. Hagedorn

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST LUGGAGE!!, February 19, 2013
I researched, on the internet, what to look for when buying carry on luggage. Good wheels and proper size (21 inches which is one inch under the airlines standard) were two things that were stressed. I read the reviews on Amazon and choose this one because of the reviews and price point. We just came back from a trip and can rate this luggage as 5 stars--the wheels were smooth, 21 inch size was accurate, very roomy with a lot of pockets, and a bonus--a handle that was long enough for my 2 sons and husband who are all 6' 3". Don't look at any other carry on luggage. This is the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit for carry on!, July 20, 2013
I needed a new carry on bag and did a lot of research before purchasing this AT Splash 21. My #1 priority was a bag that would be accepted by airlines as a carry on and would truly fit in the overhead compartment. I usually fly USAir or United and their accepted carry on size (14" wide) is smaller than some airlines. My #2 priority was it had to hold a lot of stuff. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Pros:
- Holds a lot of stuff for a carry on bag. More packable space than my last carry on.
- Fits well in overhead compartments and is only 14" wide (unlike some other 21" carry ons).
- Well balanced - does not tip over, even when fully packed
- Expands (although, will probably not fit in overhead when this zipper option is used)
- The price - under $50 - was great.
- The turquoise color is easy to spot
- The cover cleaned up well after my flights. After 4 flights and a spot cleaning, it still looks new.

The most important thing I learned researching carry ons is: all 21" bags are not the same size and not all airlines have the same requirements! I recently bought a Samsonite HiLite 21"carry on for my guy because he wanted a spinner (4 wheels) bag. It's nice and moves well but is too big for some overhead compartments and, technically, doesn't meet USAir & United carry on requirements because of the 15" width and the overall measurements. The height of the Samsonite HiLite 21" (as well as many other 21" bags) is really 23" - 23 1/2". The advertised measurements of most luggage are of the bag itself, not considering the handle and wheels. When you take into account spinner wheels, it often adds 2"+ to a piece of luggage. Although spinner wheels are great for larger bags, I found that I have no problem managing a small carry on with just two wheels. I'd rather have that extra space in my bag, not my wheels.

On our recent USAir/United flights, I was able to store my AT 21" in the overhead of all flights except on one small commuter plane where I valet checked it (no charge). My guy had to valet check his on all flights. The good news is (even though it technically was slightly larger than the USAir/United carry on limits) he was never required to check it and, therefore, didn't pay baggage fees.

Color of carry ons: My guy's gray Samsonite bag still looked great even after 4 valet checked flights. After one valet checked flight (and 3 overhead stowed flights), my AT turquoise bag had several black marks on the front cover and the bottom. However, a spray of an oxygen cleaner (from DollarTree) and a wipe with a cloth on each spot, cleaned the bagged perfectly. It looks new again. Neither bag shows any sign of wear.

How I would improve it, if I could:
- I would add compression straps like the Mother Lode TLS Mini Duffle to compress the whole bag, especially because of the several outside pockets. Since this didn't have those straps, I bought a good luggage belt and strapped it on tight. It held the pockets close to the bag and also helped in identification.
- I would have a smaller outer pocket to hold small things. The pockets on this are fine but I like having a short pocket so that I don't have to reach deep and hunt around for small things.

The other bag I strongly considered buying was ebags Mother Lode TLA Mini 21" wheeled duffle (~$170). It appears to be a great bag. Because I'm generally not a frequent traveler, I choose the AT 21 (~$49) bag based on price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Bag, March 21, 2013
Every year my husband complains about me buying a new bag, and now that I have found this one he won't have to complain anymore. I've been searching for the perfect piece of luggage for years, and I believe I've finally found it.

I am an overweight woman, and as an overweight woman, my clothes need more material therefore taking up more space in a bag than a thin person. I mention this because I was able to fit one week's worth of clothing in this bag wearing something different everyday. I didn't have to enlist my children to sit on the bag so that I could zip it up.

I purchased a flat cosmetic case (B001AVEIY2) to place on top of my clothes. I also packed my nook, camera, phone, and the necessary cords and chargers. All fit inside. I didn't use the roomy, outside pockets on the trip up as I didn't need them. However, on the return home, I used the outside pockets to pack souvenirs. This caused the bag to topple over, so I leaned it against the wall when needed. I don't think I'd place my laptop in one of these outer pockets for fear of it getting damaged should the bag get knocked over.

The inside has two large pockets; both zippered, one mesh. I placed three pairs of shoes in the lower pocket, and various odds and ends in the top pocket.

The wheels are smooth which make the bag easy to push. There are two handles, one on top and one on the side for easy handling when picking it up. The bag got a bit dirty from its plane ride, but the dirt wiped right off.

I am so happy with this bag, that I'm going to purchase a second one and store it. That way, when this one gives out, I'll have its replacement ready to go.

Edit: this bag works fine for a summer vacation, however, for a winter vacation, I can not pack a week's worth of clothes in it. (boots, down jacket, bulky sweaters, sweatshirts etc. vs shorts, tanks) so, I have to take two when going to Alaska. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, great suitcase!, June 13, 2013
I shopped around for almost a month before settling on this suitcase. It's a good brand at a great price, I really like the flexibility and versatility of this bag. When it first came out of the box, I panicked a little because it looked so BIG. Without any time to return it before I had to travel, I measured and it IS within airline parameters for a carry on, even if it does look like a giant, and it does fit in overhead compartments easily. If you're feeling uncertain or uncomfortable (or if you just over-packed) you can expand it out an extra 2-3 inches and just check it. The suitcase can sure fit a lot; I took it to a conference my first trip with it, and carried it on the plane on the way there. Everything I needed for a week fit with room to spare. Then, after the conference, I expanded it out two inches and was able to pack everything I had brought with me AND the twenty books I picked up at my conference. I could have carried it on the plane, but I checked it. It withstood rough handling, and being pulled through the streets of New York for many, many blocks. The plum color is bright and easy to spot, but not so bright that it will appear dirty after one trip. Some reviews complain of it tipping over when full--it did tip once, but I just rearranged some of my items and it didn't tip again, so it just depends on how you pack it. I love this suitcase, and I cannot recommend it enough! I'm tempted to replace all of my luggage with American Tourister!

4.0 out of 5 stars American Tourister carry on, October 5, 2012
Love the color. Easy to pull or push. Thought I would have trouble fitting into the overhead bin, but it fits fine (although you may not be able to fill all the outside pockets to the max, which is fine). I am very happy with this purchase. Price on amazon was great, and delivery came in time for my trip.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but..., April 20, 2013
This is a beautiful little wheeled piece of luggage, but I had to send it back. I'm trying to replace a piece that is 22x12x10 and barely fits in the overhead of the smaller planes I fly on. I set the American Tourister piece next to my old one and the AT is bigger! It is bigger across the back, about the same height and though it says 8" deep it is as fat as the one I have. I'm wondering if the measurements shown (14,5x8x21) are internal. Still looking for that 21 or 22x12x8 max. that will fit in the overheads of the "regional jets".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great qualiy and space, January 8, 2013
Love this so far. It holds so much and looks so big that it is hard to believe it is a carry on. But it is and works great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag/carrying, July 11, 2013
Use it for 3-day business trips, but it can easily be used for 5-day trip. The expanding pockets in front make the bag too big for some plane overhead bins, but if you consolidate into the main compartment, it fits no problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of luggage, January 25, 2013
I have not purchased luggage in years. Recently it was necessary for me to travel and I needed a piece of luggage that met the airline requirements as a carry on and held a weeks worth of clothing. The measurement provided in the product listing were within the requirements and the piece appeared to be stylish and well constructed. When the suitcase arrived I was pleased with the product. The suitcase was packed full and off to the airport. There was no problem with size related to airline requirements and the bag fit in the overhead bin. I'm satisfied with the item.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a carryon!!!, February 9, 2014
This is not a carryon. The gate people do not let you bring it on the plane because its too big. I had to check it on each flight. Totally a bummer.

Secondly, when i arrived and picked up the bag (one trip two flights) the bag was ruined. Frayed, ripped torn. First trip. I had to buy a new bag to get home!! I told amazon; lets see what happens.

American Tourister Luggage Splash 21" Upright Suitcase