5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best comics on the shelf!, February 9, 2012
Jason Bean (Iowa City, IA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Vampire Vol. 3 (Hardcover)
My favorite comic still running on the stands is easily 'American Vampire' and this third volume is the best collection they've released this far. Collected here is the next 7 issues (12-18) of the American Vampire comic as well as the five issues of 'Survival of the Fittest' (Snyder's spin-off series) making this a terrific deal for your $$.

The stories in this volume of American Vampire updates things in and/or around WWII. After a nice single story involving series antagonist (and american vampire) Skinner Sweet the action shifts to protagonist (and also vampire) Pearl Jones and her human husband Henry being recruited for a mission by the 'Vassals of the Morning Star' (a Vampire hunting group). In the story 'Survival of the Fittest' we see Felicia Book and Cashel McCogan (protagonist from 'Devil in the Sand') working as agents for the Vassals on a mission to rescue a scientist who may have a cure for vampirism.

While the vampire lore in this series is always cool and fascinating (dealing with the different cultures and breeds of vampires) what I really like about 'American Vampire's stories are it's fleshed out characters and how we keep getting different perspectives. Starting characters Skinner and Pearl are always compelling but it's especially nice to get Henry's point of view as he deals with aging alongside is vampire wife. 'Survival of the Fittest' stays focused on Felicia and Cash while getting more about the Vassals of the Morning Star (and prove you don't need Skinner to tell a great story in this series!).

As usual the artwork in 'American Vampire' is pitch perfect. Regular Rafael Albuquerque is at the top of his game with the series and just keeps getting better. Danijel Zezelj gives a nice guest-contribution to the opening story with Skinner and perfectly sets up the tone for the rest of the book. Sean Murphy's pulp-ish angles perfectly compliment the more action-packed 'Survival of the Fittest'. The violence in this collection of 'American Vampire' is vicious as usual but it never gets overbearing as Snyder and his artists know how to pace things out for full effect.

I really can't praise this collection enough. For people new to 'American Vampire' you'll want to start with the first collection. I thought the first was a bit uneven, but after the second volume 'American Vampire' became my favorite comic on the stands and this third volume only solidifies my feelings about this series (and again gives fans more bang for their buck by including 'Survival of the Fittest'). A must-buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best So Far, May 13, 2012
Melanie Ivanoff (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Vampire Vol. 3 (Hardcover)
For this volume, we've moved up to WW2. we learn about some pretty disturbing vampires in Japan and what the Reich's been up to on the vampire front. Pearl kicks some ass and so does Cash (the lawman from Vegas from the last book). Great writing, great art. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nazi Vampires!, May 3, 2012
This review is from: American Vampire Vol. 3 (Hardcover)
Scott Snyder is an awesome writer. This latest hardcover edition of American Vampire contains 12 issues and only cost $16. What a great deal! On top of the low cost, it is a great book! Snyder continues to use historical backdrops for his vampire stories, which is always such a pleasure to read. There is so much thought and detail put into the writing. It is obvious that Snyder knows his history. This book has a cool story with Skinner Sweet plus it contains the American Vampire 5 issue limited series "Survival of the Fittest", which is about Nazi Vampires. This book is well worth the money and this series is definetely worth checking out if you are into horror comic books...and for the record, these are cool vampire books, unlike the Twilight vampire books (I'm assuming the Twilight books are as bad as the movies).

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very best titles on the shelves, period., March 25, 2012
This review is from: American Vampire Vol. 3 (Hardcover)
I'm still rather embarrased and ashamed of myself that it took me so long to start reading this series. After a while of my friends asking me why I hadn't been reading it (particularly after all the raves I had been giving Scott Snyder for his work on DETECTIVE COMICS last year), I finally picked up American Vampire Vol. 1 and couldn't have been more please with its storytelling. After that, I pursued the back issues and finally caught up by the time this arc started. As far as the two stories that are told in this book, the first being from within the actual title itself and the other being from the spin-off mini-series SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST, both are great but SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST has the edge over the main comic's arc as far as raw storytelling.

Snyder, in just a few years, has proven himself to be probably the most exciting and best new writing talent in the business since Frank Miller. His tales are consistently smart, consistently well-written, and consistently far above the average comic book tale. SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST has its strengths in its emotional content, though, and that's the thing that brings me back to Snyder's work every time. He knows how to craft an intelligent and emotionally-investing tale, and once the tale is told, you feel drained. Series regular artist Rafael Albuquerque does some fantastic work, as per usual in the AM VAM segment, where SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST artist Sean Murphy does some brilliant stuff as well.

Snyder has gotten to the point in his career where he has the pick of the litter as far as artists to work with, and he has absolutely surrounded himself with some of the very best talent in the business. It's hard for me to envision a future where his work keeps getting better, but I think it's very possible that his best work is yet to come. If you're a fan of his, and a fan of horror comics, I also heartily recommend Severed HC, which was another of my favorite comics of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars my review, November 24, 2012
This review is from: American Vampire Vol. 3 (Hardcover)
If you're into vampires, you will love this graphic novel. I love how the story shifts back in time from the late 19th century to the roaring 20's. Perhaps some day they will turn it into a movie or a television series. Outstanding storylines!

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought Volumes 1-2 were Good...., June 23, 2012
Sundae Rye (Winter Park, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Vampire Vol. 3 (Hardcover)
Volume 3 is a whole new ballgame. The artwork and storyline are nothing short of amazing. Jumping all over the world the tale expands and uses the history of the 1940's in a unique way. The only complaint I had was the book starts out with a bizarre few pages of story and art that I didn't understand, but nonetheless it was interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 14, 2014
This review is from: American Vampire Vol. 3 (Hardcover)
Excellent Purchase, thank you! Would by from again.

5.0 out of 5 stars American Vampire vol.3 hardcover, June 20, 2014
This review is from: American Vampire Vol. 3 (Hardcover)
I was looking for this hc edition for quite some time.It is usually very expensive since it is oop,or out of print,I bided my time and came up with a good deal.I have collected this series in single issues,and wanted to collect the hardcovers for my collection.I like great storytelling,and horror and this has all the right ingrediants for a great story.Written by Scott Snyder with art by Rafael Alburquerque.

5.0 out of 5 stars American Vampire, April 26, 2013
This review is from: American Vampire Vol. 3 (Hardcover)
A collaboration between Stephen King and the talented Scott Snyder. You really need to start with the first book to be able to follow the story line well. But it's worth the time and effort.

If you have ever loved vampires and the old west, then you'll love this series. As the book progresses, you'll find yourself in the 1940s and 1950s. A great series!

5.0 out of 5 stars It couldn't get any better., March 6, 2013
This review is from: American Vampire Vol. 3 (Hardcover)
It's official I'm now addicted to reading American Vampire, its unbelievable how every volume the story gets so much more exciting and dramatic. Scott Snyder with Rafael Albuquerque create an amazing world fleshed out with some of the most unique and incredible characters that all have all of their struggles and situations that they have to deal with. American Vampire Vol. 3 takes place during WWII with our heroes fighting the Japanese and Nazis. I'm incredibly excited to read the next volume and whatever happens next.

American Vampire Vol. 3
American Vampire Vol. 3 by Scott Snyder (Hardcover - February 7, 2012)
Used & New from: $49.71